• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

Dude you're insane. Destiny has some of the best gunplay ever conceived. Right up there with Halo.

Even halo 3s awful aiming at 60 fps makes destiny feel bad.

Hope they go crazy with reqs. I want 400 armour sets, 150 visors, 50 weapon skins etc.

Another genius thing is having the top 200 players be diamond and the top however many thousand be platinum (or is it the other way?). People will be grinding day in and out trying to rise to the top. Combine that with reqs and the regular level system...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I get the need to compare Halo to Destiny, and want to somehow protect Halo, but come on folks. Destiny has great gunplay. It was arguably the only great thing back at launch.

Halo also has good gunplay.

Water

Excellent approach to DLC. So sick of games fragmenting the community every time a paid map pack comes out. COD comes to mind. What's lame is on top of charging for maps, they also make money on cosmetic micro-transactions. Wish the maps would be free for all games!

"Excellent" isn't a word I'd use if the game includes non-cosmetic DLC and is therefore pay-to-win. Garbage game design.

Bsigg12

"Excellent" isn't a word I'd use if the game includes non-cosmetic DLC and is therefore pay-to-win. Garbage game design.

Nothing pay to win about it. Even if you have power weapons you're still restricted by the REQ level and REQ points in a game.

Bessy67

Like, do people even look at how the system works before making these garbage comments, or are microtransactions automatically pay to win to them?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Warzone is not pay to win, and Arena is the normal multiplayer suite that any other Halo would have so it's there for people who want nothing to do with REQs. Ergo, excellent game design.

Glass

Nothing pay to win about it. Even if you have power weapons you're still restricted by the REQ level and REQ points in a game.

This, plus that aspect of it is only in the Warzone half of multiplayer. Nothing about the arena Halo multiplayer has changed.

Thoraxes

Now that I can be in the same pool of people thanks to everyone getting the DLC maps, I might actually buy a gold sub for a few months and play online.

The DLC garbage separating the playerbase is why I always quit playing a majority of the online games.

Like, do people even look at how the system works before making these garbage comments, or are microtransactions automatically pay to win to them?
Anything that provides an advantage in a competitive setting that can be paid for with real money falls into the pay-to-win category, but there are a lot of ways to do it and some systems provide stronger advantages than others. Warzone's game-changing microtransactions are probably the most balanced of these schemes I've seen, but it really would have been fantastic if the paid stuff was limited to purely cosmetic items.

But considering the trade-off in terms of a unified community, and the work that's gone into balancing REQ items and their usage, and how I usually feel about microtransactions, Warzone's system being less than fantastic is still pretty damn decent.

RoKKeR

The importance of free map DLC to the longevity of this game can't be overstated. So happy 343 opted (and is able to) provide this kind of post-launch support.

No, this is an excellent form of DLC compared to the majority of console shooter games out there. Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand the model completely. But that's okay, sometimes I make posts without thinking thoroughly enough before hitting enter too.

Glass

I appreciate the simplification; Yet such a simplistic concept prompted 343 to release a five plus minute tutorial of said concept's execution days in advance. I mean, watch that video.

A videos length doesn't really have any bearing on how complicated something is. As well as being a guide to how the mode works, and the reward system, it also spends time putting fears to rest, and has Mister Chief doing a bunch of Mister Chief things, all in 5 minutes. The videos entertainment and informative. You could explain the mode much more succinctly in a shorter amount of time but it wouldn't be half as fun.

BokehKing

Banned

Hope they go crazy with reqs. I want 400 armour sets, 150 visors, 50 weapon skins etc.

Another genius thing is having the top 200 players be diamond and the top however many thousand be platinum (or is it the other way?). People will be grinding day in and out trying to rise to the top. Combine that with reqs and the regular level system...
How can anyone take what you say seriously after that first sentence

Let 343 cater to all, not just forum die guards, that's how you will get a healthy long lasting community

Xbox 360 Halo 3 wasn't 60fps tho...not unless you're talk about the mcc then it was a solid 60fps

Can someone enlighten me as to why people are pretending the REQ system is pay to win? Some are saying its honest cheating or something. Are they completely forgetting that we have tons of free dlc on the way? That cost has to be offset by something. Why not let people with disposable income buy card packs & such lol if the trade off is everyone in the same pool of maps instead of splitting the community then I say its worth it.

I'm really not seeing the pay to win here.

Vire

Can someone enlighten me as to why people are pretending the REQ system is pay to win? Some are saying its honest cheating or something. Are they completely forgetting that we have tons of free dlc on the way? That cost has to be offset by something. Why not let people with disposable income buy card packs & such lol if the trade off is everyone in the same pool of maps instead of splitting the community then I say its worth it.

I'm really not seeing the pay to win here.
Because in Warzone you could theoretically keep purchasing packs for power weapons and power vehicles to help you win. There is elements of pay to win in here... but it's at the very least contained to one game type.

Water

Someone who throws a fortune into cards gets to spend their match level and points on whatever power weapons etc. they want, while someone who didn't pay doesn't get that choice. Pay to win.

I still don't see how they can attract new fans with this overly convoluted REQ system in place. The REQ alone makes me want to hold off on getting this day one. I watched that tutorial video and it just frustrated me as I see no point to it.

You serious with this? Completely optional thing is putting you off the game?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Someone who throws a fortune into cards gets to spend their match level and points on whatever power weapons etc. they want, while someone who didn't pay doesn't get that choice. Pay to win.

So play Arena?

Magwik

Banned
Except you can buy your own weapons and vehicles just by playing well in the match.

wwm0nkey

Play Arena, earn credits, then buy the packs with the in-game currency rather than real world money.

You don't have to spend money at all

Trup1aya

Potentially having more choices does =! having a better shot at winning... Halo's sandbox is more balance than that.

1st Having more power weapons to choose from is not the same as having a more powerful weapon than everyone else.

2nd That big expensive tank you called in can be immobilized by a cheap little plasma pistol. Then stolen and used against you.

You can get dropped by a non paying player, before you ever get a shot off with your shiny new rocket launcher.

Besides, matchmaking takes into consideration what's on each teams card deck. So whether paid for or earned in games... You'll be facing off against opponents with comparable arsenals.

jtar86

I just hope to god the game works right on launch day, with Fallout 4 and SW: Battlefront coming out shortly afterwards if Halo 5 doesn't work properly on release day I'll probably be trading it in towards one of those other games. I can't be bothered to wait around for 6+ months waiting for the developers to get their shit together and fix their broken game anymore. Especially when I can just go and play something different that actually works.
And you're going to buy Stat Wars Battlefront on launch and actually think it will work flawlessly? Do you remember Battlefield 4?
Those micro transactions seem fair. Giving you enough to buy 1 pack every other game seems like a good way to make it not feel like a grind.

Bessy67

But you can't just use cards constantly. If you want to use a powerful card that takes 7 or 8 energy you won't be able to spawn another of that card after you die for a while until you build up enough energy again. Plus when you die whoever killed you can pick up whatever power weapon you dropped.

Vire

And you're going to buy Stat Wars Battlefront on launch and actually think it will work flawlessly? Do you remember Battlefield 4?
Those micro transactions seem fair. Giving you enough to buy 1 pack every other game seems like a good way to make it not feel like a grind.
Unrelated, but I've played the Battlefront beta all weekend and it ran pretty flawlessly. Much better than the previous Battlefield betas for what it's worth.

jtar86

Unrelated, but I've played the Battlefront beta all weekend and it ran pretty flawlessly. Much better than the previous Battlefield betas for what it's worth.
Maybe it will. I was definitely surprised by how fast the matchmaking was. But I will give that one a week or two to see how things shake out.
Really surprised at the number of people saying this is pay to win. Most of the items are cosmetic changes and there are some power weapons that are only usable in Warzone. What's the problem with that? Warzone just seems like a fun thing to dick around in and not super competitive like arena.

I appreciate the simplification; Yet such a simplistic concept prompted 343 to release a five plus minute tutorial of said concept's execution days in advance. I mean, watch that video.

You can do just fine in Warzone by simply spawning, running to the nearest player/AI encounter, and killing them, all while ignoring the REQ system. It's also definitely not 5-minute-explanation complicated, a lot of that video is Mister Chief being goofy.

RyanW

Doesn't seem that big of a problem in other games

This game still seems a lot like Halo 4: Part 2.

That's definitely a fair reaction to have. To me, Halo 5 is the game Halo 4 should have been. Balanced arena multiplayer with even starts and no loadouts/ordinance BS.

They've heard the complaints of the people who played Halo 4 and seen how quickly player populations dropped when they tried making Halo the way they did in that game. Now with Halo 5 they have attempted to correct the issues of Halo 4 by making the campaign much more Halo sandboxy and less linear-fight-bullet-spongy-Prometheans, the multiplayer much more balanced with the help of even starts and no random elements, and the big team stuff more exciting with Warzone. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Bessy67

Could you explain how? Because it seems massively different to me. Arena with even starts in MP, everyone with the same abilities all the time and fighting for control of power weapons on the maps; Warzone that is a completely new mode that combines PvP and PvE elements on huge maps with crazy vehicles and weapons and a campaign that has you playing as part of a squad in environments that seem much more open that Halo 4.

Outrun

Could you ground pound an enemy from 50 ft above in Halo 4?

Did John 117 hook up with Blue Team in Halo 4?

Was there equal starts arena mp in Halo 4?

Just do some basic research before posting uninformed comments please.

Head.spawn

dqmwworo2it5imd2zfim.gif

bueno

etta

my hard graphic balls
Could you ground pound an enemy from 50 ft above in Halo 4?

Did John 117 hook up with Blue Team in Halo 4?

Was there equal starts arena mp in Halo 4?

Just do some basic research before posting uninformed comments please.
It's a Halo thread. It needs drama.

FFS, I don't care care how fair a micro transaction system is, I am buying console games so I don't have to deal with it. After the MCC collection and the Halo 5 beta, I was already on the fence, but this pushes me to wait and see. Might as well play a mobile game.

FFS, I don't care care how fair a micro transaction system is, I am buying console games so I don't have to deal with it. After the MCC collection and the Halo 5 beta, I was already on the fence, but this pushes me to wait and see. Might as well play on mobile game.

Did you even read about it, or did you just see the word "microtransaction" and shut down?

FFS, I don't care care how fair a micro transaction system is, I am buying console games so I don't have to deal with it. After the MCC collection and the Halo 5 beta, I was already on the fence, but this pushes me to wait and see. Might as well play on mobile game.

FFS you don't have to deal with it because it's not play-to-win

It also needs over zealous defenders that jump on anyone that says something they don't like .

It's usually the people that are well-informed and take the time to explain things though, whereas the drive-by posts that make misinformed claims out of seemingly nowhere are just that...misinformed.

I mean think about the "this is like Halo 4" post. We're in a thread the subject of which is a completely new multiplayer system, far from anything Halo has done before.

Outrun

It also needs over zealous defenders that jump on anyone that says something they don't like .

The poster that I "jumped" on sure does not need to like Halo 5. But calling the game "Halo 4: Part 2" represents a disconnect from reality.

Gwyn

Most of these people that talk shit about MTs and the game in general haven't spent more than 1 minute to get information about what the game offers for $60, they just read the title come in here post some bullshit about MTs and nothing to back it up.

Top Bottom