• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

I'm loving their approach to DLC, it'll be nice knowing the entire community is getting a bunch of new maps as time goes on.

Why noone post the new req packs via halowaypoint?

halo-5-req-reveal-ea699b434ad642bca4e41bc528acfa86.png

1000s at launch and so many more later! Mmmm

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...guardians-building-your-req-collection-part-2

The Req stuff seems fun.

But why does that Helmet look like a Shoulder Pad?

Timu

Bout the only legit way to do this microtransaction thing. Free DLC maps/modes to keep the player base together and engage for the long haul, cosmetic/Warzone stuff you can earn in-game and/or buy if you're just in a hurry/lazy.
Sounds great to me.

dose

I'm getting sick of seeing $60 games that also have microtransactions, whether it's 'good value' or not.

wwm0nkey

I'm getting sick of seeing $60 games that also have microtransactions, whether it's 'good value' or not.

Im fine as long as its optional, which it is. Now if money was the only way to get these packs then we would have a problem.

wapplew

Halo 5 mt is totally fine, its not pay to win anyway.

But we have come a long way.
From Horse armor to f2p to in game lottery and now full price game with optional mt lottery.
Publisher finally found the sweet spot to earn more than $60 without player bitch about it.

Trickshot

Does this mean we might get the falcon back via dlc?

...yes, I am stretching. Let me dream dammit.

Sigh. I do love this plan though, I've been wanting games to do this forever. You've gotten a definite sale from me.

But seriously. That falcon.

Halo 5 mt is totally fine, its not pay to win anyway.

But we have come a long way.
From Horse armor to f2p to in game lottery and now full price game with optional mt lottery.
Publisher finally found the sweet spot to earn more than $60 without player bitch about it.

Oh, but they do... they do. I honestly do not understand how people are saying it is Pay-to-Win, you do not have access to those cards immediately. Some of them take Energy Level 9 to equip. If you end up burning that card, it is gone. If someone buys the Warzone REQ Bundle for $24.99 they only get two Premium REQ Packs per week for 7 weeks. Nothing is guaranteed to people who buy REQ Packs rather then earn them in-game, it is all random.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Question, did the devs ever talk about what the Statue in the LCE is made of?
if not, stinkles could you answer that please? is it resin or plastic like the halo reach statue?

raindoc

Guys, quick question: I preordered digitally, the standard version - is there a way to upgrade to the Digital Deluxe edition?

Guys, quick question: I preordered digitally, the standard version - is there a way to upgrade to the Digital Deluxe edition?

Contact Microsoft support and tell them that you want to upgrade to the deluxe edition, normally they will give you a refund and when you get the money back
you can use it to get the other edition of the game.

Water

Im fine as long as its optional, which it is. Now if money was the only way to get these packs then we would have a problem.

It's only optional if you are fine with playing at a disadvantage versus those who paid. I would ask how many hundreds of hours one has to play before they have the full set of multiplayer equipment, but since this game even has one-time-use consumables, it will never stop being pay-to-win.

I'm generally not interested in games that are about grinding, so having to play a ton before you "earn" access to full multiplayer equipment, get equal with veteran players and get an edge over newbies would already be bad in my mind. But when the designers put in the option to bypass the grind by paying, that means they are conceding they don't even really believe the grind is good for the design. They are deliberately shitting on their game to make an extra buck in the usual abusive F2P fashion. There is no excuse for this in a game that has a price tag.

The advantage the paying people get may not be very high, dunno, but it exists. If you don't mind a little P2W in your game, fine, enjoy. But the way some people are jumping to deny the nature of the design, despite it being blatantly obvious, feels like victims defending their abuser. They'll even contradict themselves in a single post - "There's no problem with it, and besides, it's not quite as bad as what those other developers are doing!"

The devs are not forced to choose between paid map updates and pay-to-win DLC. They could just do cosmetic DLC and still make plenty of money, on top of the full game price they are already asking up front. Look at CS:GO - it has the lottery / Skinner box thing going on, but it doesn't give an unfair advantage to anyone. But that's not enough. Halo has to print money, fuck good game design if that's what it takes.

leeh

It's only optional if you are fine with playing at a disadvantage versus those who paid. I would ask how many hundreds of hours one has to play before they have the full set of multiplayer equipment, but since this game even has one-time-use consumables, it will never stop being pay-to-win.

I'm generally not interested in games that are about grinding, so having to play a ton before you "earn" access to full multiplayer equipment, get equal with veteran players and get an edge over newbies would already be bad in my mind. But when the designers put in the option to bypass the grind by paying, that means they are conceding they don't even really believe the grind is good for the design. They are deliberately shitting on their game to make an extra buck in the usual abusive F2P fashion. There is no excuse for this in a game that has a price tag.

The advantage the paying people get may not be very high, dunno, but it exists. If you don't mind a little P2W in your game, fine, enjoy. But the way some people are jumping to deny the nature of the design, despite it being blatantly obvious, feels like victims defending their abuser. They'll even contradict themselves in a single post - "There's no problem with it, and besides, it's not quite as bad as what those other developers are doing!"

The devs are not forced to choose between paid map updates and pay-to-win DLC. They could just do cosmetic DLC and still make plenty of money, on top of the full game price they are already asking up front. Look at CS:GO - it has the lottery / Skinner box thing going on, but it doesn't give an unfair advantage to anyone. But that's not enough. Halo has to print money, fuck good game design if that's what it takes.
Your point is moot due to the fact that you can get a pack a game, so there's not really an advantage to someone who didn't play much and paid to someone who's played for a couple of days. We all also know that tons of people, like my self, will play with no cards and will do just fine.

Nutter

I would rather have free MP maps, then to splinter the community.

And if that means they have to design a mode specifically for micro transactions in which you can still do plenty of things without ever spending a dime. Im ok with it. But hey this is GAF, people will continue to say dumb things, and continue to be "concerned" as they put it. What a load of shit.

If you are that concerned about what these cards/packs will do to your game, then go play Arena. Of course you will get shit on and then proceed to go back to your regular old Warzone because you cant do anything in Arena.

Caayn

If you are that concerned about what these cards/packs will do to your game, then go play Arena. Of course you will get shit on and then proceed to go back to your regular old Warzone because you cant do anything in Arena.
Which is exactly what I'll do, minus the part of going back to Warzone. I'll be skipping Warzone completely, and move to play Arena as my main multiplayer mode. And I'm not exactly the competitive type, I just want a level playing field not a gambling center.

However at the same time I'm happy that future DLC won't split the community like previous entries in the series did.

Gwyn

You have no idea what you are talking about, seriously and i guess you don't have an xbox one or even consider buying one for halo.

You bring up CS:GO as an example of good MTs and i agree with that but at the same time you forget/ignore the fact that Halo 5 has exactly the same model of MTs for every multiplayer mode EXCEPT warzone.

So if you ignore warzone MTs / P2W will not affect you at all.

It's not like there are only things available to paid players, every player has access to the same pool of REQ, paid player gets potentially more choices, and if you don't pay anything you still very frequently get packs plus points to buy packs, in reality the "advantage" buying REQs give you is incredibly small. Plus even if you have a legendary weapon in your hand, you still gets killed easily by two flanking enemies, or a tank, or a boss, because that would be significantly late into a match where everyone gets access to high level REQs.

Which is exactly what I'll do, minus the part of going back to Warzone. I'll be skipping Warzone completely, and move to play Arena as my main multiplayer mode. And I'm not exactly the competitive type, I just want a level playing field not a gambling center.

However at the same time I'm happy that future DLC won't split the community like previous entries in the series did.

Warzone doesn't really play like that.

Honestly, all the negativity really is unwarranted.

Typical Warzone game:

Spawn, fly in, clear base, head to next base to capture. As you encounter AI/Enemy team, and make kills, capture bases etc, you'll earn REQ energy. Say 5 minutes into the game, you have level 6 REQs available? That means you can go to a REQ station (or the spawn screen) and choose a weapon or vehicle. So you choose your Scorpion card - and boom, new scorpion for you. Your REQ energy level is now back down to 1. You roll out of base only to get owned by the Warden Eternal and your Scorpion is destroyed.

Start again.

That's literally the kind of stuff that occurs - it really isn't pay-2-win. You can have a 100 scorpion tanks or a 1000 Banshees, but you can still get destroyed easily enough.

I for one am so glad they've gone this route - free maps for everyone!

Trup1aya

I appreciate the simplification; Yet such a simplistic concept prompted 343 to release a five plus minute tutorial of said concept's execution days in advance. I mean, watch that video.

Like I said, watch or play a single match and it's clear.

The video was filled with a lot of comedic fluff, and had added length due to being broken down in a way that even the most confused people should be able to understand... Also, only about 1 minute was used to explain how Warzone (the only mode with non-cosmetics) works... Not quite as long as a Rocket Science class, but close!

It's no surprise then, that after the video came out, most of the confusion and FUD in the air shifted into understanding and general acceptance...

In Warzone,You kill people and complete objectives, you build a meter, you spend that meter When you equip items... The bigger your meter, the more powerful the items you can access, but powerful items COST more meter... Rinse and Repeat .You can keep pretending that's a tough concept to grasp...

PS, since when does 5 minutes equate to bring a lengthy explanation? That's rather brief if you ask me...

UKUMI0

Warzone doesn't really play like that.

Honestly, all the negativity really is unwarranted.

Typical Warzone game:

Spawn, fly in, clear base, head to next base to capture. As you encounter AI/Enemy team, and make kills, capture bases etc, you'll earn REQ energy. Say 5 minutes into the game, you have level 6 REQs available? That means you can go to a REQ station (or the spawn screen) and choose a weapon or vehicle. So you choose your Scorpion card - and boom, new scorpion for you. Your REQ energy level is now back down to 1. You roll out of base only to get owned by the Warden Eternal and your Scorpion is destroyed.

Start again.

That's literally the kind of stuff that occurs - it really isn't pay-2-win. You can have a 100 scorpion tanks or a 1000 Banshees, but you can still get destroyed easily enough.

I for one am so glad they've gone this route - free maps for everyone!

Pretty much this, though I think its important to note that it only takes roughly 2 matches to earn enough REQ points to buy a REQ pack...the same REQ pack you can buy with real life money.

Someone could play Halo 5 Warzone until Halo 6 comes out without touching the Micro-transactions and not feel outmatched because of the balancing system where teams will be matched depending on what type of cards each player has, when possible.

I feel like Micro-transactions have become a dirty word and whenever gamers hear it, they immediately think of stuff like Pay-to-win and stuff.

Yeesh. Time to take a break away from the computer, mate?

Dynasty8

The devs are not forced to choose between paid map updates and pay-to-win DLC. They could just do cosmetic DLC and still make plenty of money, on top of the full game price they are already asking up front. Look at CS:GO - it has the lottery / Skinner box thing going on, but it doesn't give an unfair advantage to anyone.

The fact that you're even comparing this to domestic abuse makes me think you're delusional. I'm not kidding.

But that's not enough. Halo has to print money, fuck good game design if that's what it takes.

So Halo 5 lacks "good game design" because it has optional Microtransactions?

You're not making any sense.

leeh

Hmm... Evolve gave away free maps too, and that was a shitshow.

This sounds a lot more consumer friendly, though.
Their micro transactions and model in general was a shitshow, hence this is the best example of fair since it seems a small difference between playing/paying.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
sorry for cross-thread posting but this thread seems to be the halo thread with the most people talking...

do I understand correct that beside the Statue (and the file stuff from the normal LE) there is nothing more inside the LCE. Nothing digital I can't get from buying the Halo Digital Deluxe edition?

UKUMI0

Is not pay to win because you'll be matched against people who have similar cards.

So it doesn't matter if they spent $50, while you spent 50 hours, because you'll have similar cards.

I think once people get their hands on Warzone they will just have a joyfully chaotic time and won't care that someone just blasted them with a sniper with 6 bullets instead of 4.

You start with the same effective pistol as you do in Arena, so being able to defend yourself off spawn and even choose what base you spawn at (if your team captured it) will help.

jfoul

I like the way they're going about micro-transactions. It seems like a better implementation of how Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, and Mass Effect 3 were handled.

Outrun

Didn't you bring up these points earlier?
Didn't people explain this system?

Why are you persisting with this?

Arena is the place where your pure skill will be tested

Trup1aya

I really don't see the point in bitching about a scheme that provides a NEGLIGIBLE competitive advantage in a NON-COMPETITIVE game mode, especially when the proceeds undeniably benefit the COMPETITIVE...

You act as if Warzone is somehow ruining Arena...

For someone who is going to be spending the majority of my time in Arena, I greatly appreciate the fact that Warzone players will be footing the bill for my post release content... That's FANTASTIC design If you ask me... And when I do decide dip into Warzone I'll have more than enough Req items to have fun in the chaos because the leveling/energy system will limits how many cards players can use in a given match... As such, having a bigger deck of cards doesn't inherently provide you with more opportunities to use them..

really curious to see how serious they are about adding new req content.

you cant get duplicates when you open req packs, so im hoping new content is added fairly regularly to keep new stuff coming in.

really hoping for some themed packs too. give me a christmas pack with colors and santa nonsense. leverage that nfl partnership MS has and give me guns with nfl team skins. go nuts. make warzone bonkers.

Trup1aya

you cant get duplicates when you open req packs, so im hoping new content is added fairly regularly to keep new stuff coming in.

really hoping for some themed packs too. give me a christmas pack with colors and santa nonsense. leverage that nfl partnership MS has and give me guns with nfl team skins. go nuts. make warzone bonkers.

You won't get duplicates of the permanent items (cosmetics, loadout weapons, emblems, assassinations) but there appear to be a ton of them to start with... The gold req pack only promises two permanents, so it'll take a while to get everything.

But permanent cosmetic items will likely be the main draw for MT buyers*
If that holds true, then they'll definately be coming up with new stuff regularly

*I can't see people spending with primary hopes of getting strong single use cards to get an 'advantage' in Warzone: they'll be getting matched against people with similar req cards anyway, negating the advantage

That shit can stay in CoD.

Even though they suck this year, I'd sell my kidney for Baltimore Ravens Spartan gear...

Athlon seems perfect for that. Just put out an Athlon NFL pack with team skins.

Top Bottom