• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

Leyasu

Banned
It's a great system 343. I will support this.

The thought that everyone, including my friends and I will all have all the new maps when they launch is really nice.

Now just give me the game please. I have already paid to.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
You hold to charge ground pound and press to melee. You're pretty unlikely to accidentally ground pound because you also have to focus on the ground target.

Good stuff, thanks. Ground pound looks hugely improved from the beta, I really like that you can do it from anywhere, makes it a much more flexible move.

Zeta Oni

I think he was saying that Titanfall has great gunplay, stage design and netcode...but no-one online.

And Destiny has crap gunplay, stage design and netcode...but people play it.

Yeah, this.

Edit:

Although destiny doesn't have bad gunplay. More importantly is that it's hugely popular and has/had one of the most obvious cases of "unlockable content" drip lining.

Source?

(Can't believe you used titanfall as an example of a game with a healthy and regular online userbase).

No scientific papers to show you, just saying that it's basic human psychology that positive reinforcement regardless of it being an illusion or not (in this example, unlocking stuff in a game) helps keep people interested in whatever is being discussed/watched/played.

Edit2:

You are obnoxiously wrong.

They was explaining something I had posted for clarity reasons, I don't think they were agreeing. I don't think destiny has bad gunplay per say, but the way I worded my comment definitely framed that.

This is very true. Reach was basically the start of the real grind for Halo, and it just picked up with Halo 4 and now Halo 5. People love the drip feed, carrot on a stick mechanism. Look how many hit SR-130 and then complained there was no more progression, nothing to unlock etc.

With this, they can keep adding as long as people want things, newer guns, newer vehicles, maybe even newer armors and assassinations etc. Mass Effect 3 really showed me how addictive it can be if you tie unlocks to fun game play. You want to keep playing but also want to unlock more. It should feel natural and not so much a grind as Destiny even tends to feel.

Best way to put it. Well done sir.

And Destiny has crap gunplay

You are obnoxiously wrong.

finowns

REQ System Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_tD5y6k6s

Obviously haven't tried it yet, but from the sounds of the system it seems like microtransactions done right, and the Likes to Dislike ratio on the Req System video explaining it seem to reflect that, especially considering it's a video announcing microtransactions for the first time in a franchise. Being YouTube you'd expect a ton of shit posting and dislikes, but it's seem to have gone down well.

Of course that could just be the Mister Chief effect.

Is Mister Chief really copyrighted? O god I hope it is.

Trup1aya

I still don't see how they can attract new fans with this overly convoluted REQ system in place. The REQ alone makes me want to hold off on getting this day one. I watched that tutorial video and it just frustrated me as I see no point to it.

What's convoluted about it? Seems pretty straight forward... If not, watching a single Warzone match should clarify things...

You can get packs through gameplay or MTs... The Packs contain weapons and vehicles. solid play, Inceases to your teams Req Level, and earns your Spartan 'energy'. The stronger the weapon/vehicle, the higher req level it will require and the more energy costs to use...

The balance comes from the fact that you might buy your way to a collection of powerful cards, but the Req level and energy requirements keep you from spamming them...

I don't think the typical new fan is going to make a decision based off of the existence of the req system... They'll just make a determination on whether or not the game looks fun...

I think he was saying that Titanfall has great gunplay, stage design and netcode...but no-one online.

Dude you're insane. Destiny has some of the best gunplay ever conceived. Right up there with Halo.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll gladly take microtransactions in my paid games if it means free dlc.

As long as they do not disrespect your time or take away from the game you already bought if you do not buy them. But yeah, this seems like one of the best ways to go about it from what we are hearing.

FyreWulff

Fair microtransactions are the kind that don't exist in games you pay for.

Good thing you can completely ignore these MTs and get all the DLC for free still.

Selling REQ cards funds the development of DLC. DLC splits harmed Halo games, so it's good to see this won't be an issue anymore. You have to pay for the labor of making content somehow.

Flipyap

Is permanent REQs' quality also affected by the pack type?
Either way, it seems like bronze packs are the way to go if you only care about permanent unlocks (you're "likely" to get up to 4 permanent REQs for the price of Silver's guaranteed 2).

Bsigg12

Is permanent REQs' quality also affected by the pack type?
Either way, it seems like bronze packs are the way to go if you only care about permanent unlocks (you're "likely" to get up to 4 permanent REQs for the price of Silver's guaranteed 2).

Yes. There's different tiers of armor. Using a gold pack gives you a shot at Rare and Legendary armor.

NeoXChaos

Good thing you can completely ignore these MTs and get all the DLC for free still.

Selling REQ cards funds the development of DLC. DLC splits harmed Halo games, so it's good to see this won't be an issue anymore. You have to pay for the labor of making content somehow.

^This.

Kalentan

Destiny has crap gunplay..?

What..? Am I really reading this now?

Bsigg12

Oh yeah, had kinda forgotten about that in the newer episode, they've just been talked about so little in recent years that it feels like they've been replaced by the S4s.

Outside of that instance it seems S4's are the main thing now. Though ONI might prefer ODSTs for certain missions that don't require excessive force.

It's a great system 343. I will support this.

The thought that everyone, including my friends and I will all have all the new maps when they launch is really nice.

Now just give me the game please. I have already paid to.
Yep, me too. I'm stoked for a non-fragmented multiplayer community for once.

I'd pay a mint to be able to download a Frankie skin. Make this happen!!

J@hranimo

Banned
This entire system makes me very happy 343i. I'm not sure when I'll be getting my XB1, but when I do I'll be sure to purchase Halo 5 alongside it :D

I would get it at release, but being a college student is hard...

There's only 16 days left, getting so close. I haven't been this excited about a game in a while. I just hope it delivers on my unreasonable expectations :).

Zeta Oni

The things people say about video games they've barely played or didn't play at all.

Destiny's gunplay is some of the best to ever have graced consoles.

Is no one reading the context of that post or just skimming by and taking offence?

No one was saying destiny had bad gameplay.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't think we'll see anything in that regard, but I'd absolutely love that.

Also, 343i isn't working on it directly, but Halo Wars 2 is scheduled for next year.

Good point. I'm not sure if MS trusts that one to sell really well though (it's on PC) so they might make an ODST style expansion for Halo 5 alongside it.
Well, seeing as
they killed off the rookie/ODSTs in general for no reason
I can't see that happening.

I meant an expansion next year. I don't even know what an ODST actually is. :p

MouldyK

The things people say about video games they've barely played or didn't play at all.

Destiny's gunplay is some of the best to ever have graced consoles.

I was just stating what it seemed the other guy was trying to say, which he later said:

They was explaining something I had posted for clarity reasons, I don't think they were agreeing. I don't think destiny has bad gunplay per say, but the way I worded my comment definitely framed that.

I weren't saying it was bad either as I have not played Destiny.

Would really wish people would read more and not berate me.

Is no one reading the context of that post or just skimming by and taking offence?

No one was saying destiny had bad gameplay.

Just skimming by and taking offense. I'll edit my post to try making it less offensive...

Trup1aya

A single req card (once you reach the level to use it) can turn the game around.

Probably not though... It's unlikely that the Req card itself will be the difference You'll be one person, playing against a team that likely has 12 other people with a similar req card...

Trup1aya

Team level? Energy requirements?

I just want to shoot spartans.

With that said, i suspect we have an idea of what titanfall 2's microtransacrion/burn card system will look like...

Then just shoot Spartans... That's an available option in every game mode, Even Warzone

But Is it really that foreign to see a meter increase has you progress through a multiplayer game? When your meter get high enough, you can cash it out on something cool... If that's a novel concept to you then I have to wonder if your have ever played games before...

Stop trying to make this sound difficult ... it isn't

Gold Req packs sound nice to buy one of when I have a day off of work to play some Halo. I'll probably will end up paying more for Req over time than maps, but all my friends having maps will be more than worth it.

Excellent approach to DLC. So sick of games fragmenting the community every time a paid map pack comes out. COD comes to mind. What's lame is on top of charging for maps, they also make money on cosmetic micro-transactions. Wish the maps would be free for all games!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is very true. Reach was basically the start of the real grind for Halo, and it just picked up with Halo 4 and now Halo 5. People love the drip feed, carrot on a stick mechanism. Look how many hit SR-130 and then complained there was no more progression, nothing to unlock etc.

With this, they can keep adding as long as people want things, newer guns, newer vehicles, maybe even newer armors and assassinations etc. Mass Effect 3 really showed me how addictive it can be if you tie unlocks to fun game play. You want to keep playing but also want to unlock more. It should feel natural and not so much a grind as Destiny even tends to feel.

Also, CSR guarantees that there'll always be a rank to strive towards. There's no real "maximum" because players can always improve, or get worse (but hopefully not).

If you like it and play it all the time it will be well worth the investment.

You can slide down the slippery slope of spending more on cosmetic items than you would for the actual dlc

The reason free map DLC is so much better than micro transactions that are cosmetic is because the cosmetics won't fragment the community. It works best for everyone if the people who don't mind paying lots of money does so for cosmetic stuff, the people who don't want to or can't afford it don't have to in order to play with friends on all content, and 343 likely gets more money anyway from the big buyers.

Top Bottom