• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for PC coming September 8th, additional Halo updates detailed

Honest question, has GAF's reading skills gone down recently or is it just anything connected with MS threads?

Anyway totally excited about this. I really do think a forge creation system on PC is an awesome idea.

RoguePope

Banned
If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

But he's entitled to your work you see.

The only thing I don't like about this idea is the move towards keyboard and mouse in halo. I know there will still only be conroller support in matchmaking, but I see the possibility for a slippery slope with maybe keyboard and mouse in Halo 6. I've spent about 15 years honing my halo skills with a controller and I don't want that to simply go to waste.

More here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/announcing-anvil-s-legacy

BY 343 INDUSTRIES - 34 MINUTES AGO
September is going to be a pretty busy – and very exciting – month for Halo fans, with some awesome new experiences heading your way on multiple fronts! From bringing the crazy creativity of Forge to Windows 10 PCs, to releasing more exciting new free content for Halo 5: Guardians on the Xbox One, to a brand new Windows 10 PC Halo app, Halo fans are going to have some shiny new toys to get their virtual hands on come September 8.

FORGING AHEAD

Back in May, we announced that Halo 5: Forge was coming to Windows 10 PCs. 343 Industries, alongside our friends at SkyBox Labs, are proud to help usher in a brand new era for our talented and creative community, bringing Halo 5: Guardians’ entire Forge level-creation experience to Windows 10 PCs, along with a host of awesome new features, including mouse and keyboard support, 4k resolution display capability, a brand new content browser that makes showcasing and sharing your creations easier than ever before, and the ability play your creations with friends online.

Host and play custom matches for up to 16 players on Windows 10, or share your games with the community for play in Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One. Whether you’re customize existing creations or inventing brand new ones, Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 opens the floodgates to incredible new possibilities in Halo 5: Guardians and beyond.

ANVIL’S LEGACY
Launching alongside Halo 5: Forge on Sep 8 will be the ninth, free content release for Halo 5: Guardians – Anvil’s Legacy, which includes some exciting new additions on several fronts, from new toys to play with – and new places to use them – to new ways to share and experience community creations.

FORGE CONTENT BROWSER
The Anvil’s Legacy free content release brings easily one of the most eagerly-anticipated features to Halo 5: Guardians – a robust new Forge Content Browser. This incredible new tool allows players to search for, highlight, discover, share, and play their favorite Forge creations more easily than ever before.

The Halo 5: Guardians Forge Content Browser not only supports custom maps and game modes, but also the ability to share and discover brand new Forge Object Groups – a new feature designed to streamline the creative process by letting players save pre-fabricated object groups such as buildings, bases, and much more. With the new Forge Content Browser for Halo 5: Forge and Halo 5: Guardians, build and share your creations across both Windows 10 and Xbox One platforms for an all-access pass to a nearly infinite array of awesome new experiences.

NEW ARENA AND WARZONE MAPS
Anvil’s Legacy also adds two new multiplayer maps to Halo 5: Guardians – both set on the Elite homeworld of Sanghelios: Mercy and Temple. Mercy is a beautiful new Arena multiplayer playspace that combines contested corridors with a mix of open sightlines. Temple is a brand new large-scale battleground built from the ground up with Warzone Assault in mind.

NEW REQS
Anvil’s Legacy includes several new REQ for players to collect, including new weapons, attachments, weapon and armor skins, and more. Some fan favorite armors get a new coat of paint, and a new Magnum loadout lets Spartans pack a new powerful punch in a nice convenient package.

THE HALO APP
Also launching on Sep 8 alongside Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 PC will be the brand new Halo app, which lets you quickly and easily find, download, and launch Halo games available on Windows PCs, all while providing players with the latest news, videos, tutorials, featured community content, update notes, and more from across the entire Halo universe. We’ll have much more on the Halo app coming up very soon, so stay tuned!

No matter what flavor of Halo experience you enjoy, September will be a month to remember. From the launch of Halo 5: Forge on Windows 10 PC and the Anvil’s Legacy content release for Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One, to the next chapter in Halo esports with the Halo Championship Series’ new season and upcoming additions to the Halo universe with Halo Mythos and Halo: Fractures, there’s something for every Halo fan to look forward to. We'll have even more details to share later this week on HaloWaypoint.com in the Halo Community Update – we can't wait to see you there!

Soooooooo.... To play Customs, it's only via a friends list? Or can you browse a list of on going matches?

I haven't played Halo in so long :(

If it's via friend's lists, will GAF set up a thread or something so we can add each other for playing these matches? Taking GAF out of the equation, I can't see any other way I can get friends to play this with me...

novabolt

why not just sell the damn game on PC, I've loved to do the campaign on legendary co-op. no intention of buying a xbone just to do that though.

I think MS is worried about console dilution (I know how stupid it sounds). I don't think they want to fully invest in PC if it isn't feasible for them. Also, I guess it gives people a reason to buy their console.

Akronis

Honest question, has GAF's reading skills gone down recently or is it just anything connected with MS threads?

Anyway totally excited about this. I really do think a forge creation system on PC is an awesome idea.

Microsoft has been upsetting a bunch of people with their decisions lately so I think it's people jumping really hard to conclusions before reading anything lol

Gestault

Granted that people complaining probably didn't read the announcement and are just flailing at the title, but I think it speaks to the unusual nature of this release that the title is not enough to clue people in to how it works. It is pretty unusual for publishers to release map-building tools and a very specific gameplay mode but not the rest of the game on PC. It's understandable, this reflects Microsoft's recent pivot on the PC space and Halo is a big franchise that they want to get right and this is probably the most feasible product they can release given time and resource limitations and the need to focus on the next game in the series. Still, it remains unusual!

It feels along the same lines as Forza Apex, where it's almost a testing-ground for the start of development efforts, and a way to fish for awareness in the PC market. I like it so far.

Soooooooo.... To play Customs, it's only via a friends list? Or can you browse a list of on going matches?

I haven't played Halo in so long :(

If it's via friend's lists, will GAF set up a thread or something so we can add each other for playing these matches? Taking GAF out of the equation, I can't see any other way I can get friends to play this with me...

We don't have a Custom Games Server Browser yet. But it has been a requested feature since Halo 2. Hopefully one day it gets added.

dr_rus

No, thanks. Port Halo 1-2-3 to PC instead. Technically, just 3 as 1 and 2 were ported already. You can keep 4 and 5 on Xbox.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It feels along the same lines as Forza Apex, where it's almost a testing-ground for the start of development efforts, and a way to fish for awareness in the PC market. I like it so far.

Yes I think this analysis is bang on--definitely similar parallels. And then to complete the trifecta, Gears had the Gears 1 UE as the water-tester, but might otherwise have had a similar product.

Yes I think this analysis is bang on--definitely similar parallels. And then to complete the trifecta, Gears had the Gears 1 UE as the water-tester, but might otherwise have had a similar product.

Yeah to me this serves the exact same purpose of giving the dev team experience of developing for PC as Forza and GoW1 UE.

Hope it gets a community on PC. Multiplayer stuff outside Steam never seems to stick.
If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.
What a tease!

Glass

The multiplayer in 5 is amazing, one of the best things about this move is the new pool of people it'll reach. Hope it blows up.

Cake Boss

Banned
woah holy shit you can have custom game matches too for 16 people? Did I read that right? Will there be any type of matchmaking or server browser? or how would this work?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?
It's not a "fuck you".
You want Halo on PC? Chances of Halo 6 for PC are good.

Maaaaaan I can't wait to give this a spin and see what Halo can look like with much better image quality. PC GAF is gonna have to make a thread where we can find groups for custom matches. This could be really fucking cool.

Here's hoping we get Halo 6 day and date on PC as well. I will buy that in an instant

SOR5

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

Have another reply on the house

Hmmm. I can see why it will be frustrating to some people. It feels like a case of so close and yet so far.

Hopefully they can at least patch in a custom games browser or something at some point that lets you play with people outside of your friends list. Although thats been a community requested feature since Halo 2 so it might be a while. :p

It always felt weird that MS's "renewed focus" on PC gaming didnt include Halo 5. I genuinely think that game would have done well with its competitive focus on the PC. After all, PC is where most of the competitive gaming is.

Forge custom games arent cross platform are they?

Mercy is a remix of Halo 4's Haven, but completely covenant/sanghelios themed.

Looks bad ass.

HAVEN

Goddamn. Best ricochet games. Best swat games. Loved that map. Came up WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too often in matchmaking for just about everything but damn if i dont miss something like it in H5

Fuchsdh

funnily enough the only mainline Halo engine that doesn't have a PC version somewhere is Halo: Reach.

1 came to PC in 2003.
2 came to PC in 2007.
3 & 4 were ported to PC for an online F2P russian Halo release.
5 has PC Forge.
Wars 2 is day and date and will also come with a PC port of Halo Wars 1 (which MS should talk about more, it's buried in the store description!)

At this point Reach is the only Halo that only exists natively on the console it came out on.

Remember Reach? is going to be a more-and-more applicable slogan over the years.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Cqo1-qwUEAABS-U.jpg

Super excited for this. Looks great, hope it plays great.

I'm ready. I sold my Xbox One and have missed the tight, coiffed experience of Halo 5 multiplayer. Even without matchmaking, its going to be fire.

Mercy is a remix of Halo 4's Haven, but completely covenant/sanghelios themed.

Looks bad ass.
Cqo1-qwUEAABS-U.jpg

Super excited for this. Looks great, hope it plays great.

Wow, that looks fantastic. Haven was a good Halo 4 Map, just got a little sick of it when people voted for it 99% of the time it came up in rotation. Will be good to come back to a remixed version of it after having not played on it in a long while.

RoguePope

Banned
seriously what is it with MS's ridiculous resistance to just putting a proper bloody Halo game out on PC??

Why is it a problem to leave mainline halo titles console only? If they moved it over to pc I'd probably drop halo completely except for the campaign. Many halo players play competitively and aren't into pc gaming. If it moved to pc my prospects of streaming and making montages would practically disappear as kbm support makes for much better looking gameplay as opposed to with a controller.

Oh fuck yeah, Haven!

Do we know if the PC version will be rebalanced to account for MKB precision? Sniper, for instance, would probably need to be toned down.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Two maps and big forge updates, HYPE. New map in time for
and competitively strong enough for
HCS fall season?

Oh fuck yeah, Haven!

Do we know if the PC version will be rebalanced to account for MKB precision? Sniper, for instance, would probably need to be toned down.

I am not so sure. Compared to other games on the market, Halo's Sniper Rifle has always been a little underpowered. CSGO AWP is a OSK on torso. Most of CoDs sniper rifles are the same.

I would imagine the gameplay speed would get upped a little but Halo's TTK should mean even with a Mouse and keyboard weapons wont feel overpowered.

Top Bottom