• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for PC coming September 8th, additional Halo updates detailed

jem0208

It's a pity theres no bots you could have in the custom games, that would be a cool option. Then again I don't think any Halo game has ever had bots have they ?
Nah, Halo has never had bots.

I don’t think it would work though. You’d need some extremely good AI to be reasonably capable with how complex map movement is in H5.

FyreWulff

Cqo1-qwUEAABS-U.jpg

Super excited for this. Looks great, hope it plays great.

Resident Evil: Halo

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

fucking bungie!!! learn to halo

FyreWulff

I would literally pay money for the actual game of Halo 5 though. MS got some really strange priorities on what they should and shouldn't put on PC.

This is obstensibly practice for Halo 6 on PC. Forgers have been dying for PC tools for the Forge era games for ages.

If they let us at the gametype scripting engine in addition to map making

*sweat wipe dog gif*

wwm0nkey

I'd say wait until next week when it's about to come out, then coordinate it with the rest of Halo-GAF. Ideally we'd keep everything organized and in one place.

I have a temp channel set up right now with a bot if anyone else wants to help admin and get things set up before I make it public. Or if someone else already did all of that, that works too lol

Dunno why they're doing it like this, I would have gladly paid for this. Happy to see it's releasing so soon.

Also don't know why it's so difficult for them to just say it's Forge and Custom Games if that's the case. Both announcements now make it trivial whether they mean Forge and Customs, or just Forge with 16 other players.

Also, Halo 3 had a content browser available from Bungie.net 9 years ago. The fact that 343 is still incapable of meeting even that standard this long after Halo 5's release is incredibly disappointing. I remember when I could be part of a Forge community, check out posts on a forum with pictures and descriptions if a map, and click a link in my web browser that would direct me to a download page for that map/gametype, which would queue up the download on my console the next time I booted up Halo 3. That was incredible.

Compsiox

Banned
I've been waiting for this. I'd rather make the maps on PC than struggle for perfection with a controller.

Can't wait!

Smokey

Halo 6 is pretty much a given to come to PC. Spencer has hinted as much. So people begging and complaining about free Halo content on PC can stop, and enjoy this for what it is.

I would literally pay money for the actual game of Halo 5 though. MS got some really strange priorities on what they should and shouldn't put on PC.

Theyre priorities are halo wars 2, Halo6 and beyond. Theyre not gonna put everyone on a port of halo5 pc at this point cause 4 people on neogaf are upset. Its common sense.

RoKKeR

As others have said, Halo 5 Forge on PC feels analogous to Forza Apex... dev testing the PC waters and getting some experience under their belts. I expect all future Halo games to be Play Anywhere titles.

WadeitOut

As others have said, Halo 5 Forge on PC feels analogous to Forza Apex... dev testing the PC waters and getting some experience under their belts. I expect all future Halo games to be Play Anywhere titles.

Yeah I don't really agree with these thoughts. I think it's really just them taking advantage of the new cross platform infrastructure to ad a feature people have been asking for for the better part of a decade.

Akronis

Yeah I don't really agree with these thoughts. I think it's really just them taking advantage of the new cross platform infrastructure to ad a feature people have been asking for for the better part of a decade.

You make it sound like a bad thing. This is literally be given for FREE. What could possibly be the negative?

For the better part of a decade, Microsofts mission was to make sure the xbox console and brand didnt die. You dont ensure that by not having any exclusive games on it.

Now, they dont seem to worried about xbox as a whole which is why you see them branching out with play anywhere.

Its easy to complain about it when you have literally nothing to lose. Xbox and Live are alive today because xbox was the only place to play Halo.

LostDonkey

"Halo 5: Forge lets map makers, creative visionaries, and Spartans of all kinds build, share and play new levels, maps, and experiences across Windows 10 PC and Xbox One."

That's really poorly worded if you can't play Win 10 together with your buddies on XB1.

WadeitOut

My bad, I jumped the gun. Just a lot of people in this thread treating this like it's a bad thing and it's scrambling my brain.

Which is weird because this isn't even news. The news is when it's going to be available. It was announced a while ago.

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?
Did you rush this without reading to get first post?

scitek

It's not a "fuck you".
You want Halo on PC? Chances of Halo 6 for PC are good.

Yeah, but how stupid is it to have parts 1, 2, and then none again until 6 on a single platform? Like I've said before, that's some '90s Final Fantasy shit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I guess it's a step towards something better. But, honestly, the singleplayer portion of Halo is what interests me most about the franchise.

For all intents and purposes it is a test run. They will learn something from what they're doing here, and will probably apply it to Halo 6 PC release.

I see it more as them just getting everyone used to xbox and windows10 being one and the same.

WadeitOut

For all intents and purposes it is a test run. They will learn something from what they're doing here, and will probably apply it to Halo 6 PC release.

Well it's a test run to have forge on PC for all future Halo games. And maybe something in Halo Wars 2.

If they want to test Halo 6 on PC they are going to do it through much more traditional methods. I don't really think it's a Forza Apex situation.

Trup1aya

I think it's that's too...

I also think it's a test for a serious attempt at Halo on PC.

Halo isn't like most other FPS in existance. It's entire weapon balancing and movement mechanics are built around the idea that people are playing with controllers.

I'm really curious to see how different the meta will be, when Aim Assist variations is no longer the primary way to characterize the different weapons.

krang

It would have been nice to truly take advantage of the platform by adding an isometric view to manipulate Forge. But simply just having mouse and keyboard will help content creators.

Halo has had zero presence on PC since Halo 1. Come on.

Trup1aya

Is that what you got out of this? You need to look a little closer.

Trup1aya

Oops. Sorry. I never do that, which is probably why I didn't know it's verboten.

You will find out more about easier ways to organize games soon. But correct, no XBL-style matchmaking.

I wonder if he's talking about LFG and Arena feature being built into XBL ? Hmmm?

Some of my favorite games were born from complex modifications and maps from existing games (DOTA, for example).

The community is already creating such amazing things. I cannot wait to see what they can do with more dextrous controls and the ever-expanding depth of Forge to accommodate the forgers' dreams.

If 343i is being smart they'll snap up some of the more successful ones as designers-proper and or spin some of the good ones out into actual games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think it's that's too...

I also think it's a test for a serious attempt at Halo on PC.

Halo isn't like most other FPS in existance. It's entire weapon balancing and movement mechanics are built around the idea that people are playing with controllers.

I'm really curious to see how different the meta will be, when Aim Assist variations is no longer the primary way to characterize the different weapons.

I think you'll see a spread of things initially, between Controllers vs M/KB, then M/KB players figuring out bindings and placements, and I don't know what that looks like in the end, but I've found myself playing VERY similar game styles whereby reticle control is a fine substitute for magnetism, but that's anecdotal as all getout.

krang

If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

Oh damn.

eman4ever

Well, some people don't know or maybe never played halo. I got one played online early on halo 3 when the servers were not up yet 10 days early on custom servers. It was honestly the best experience gaming I have ever had when you are playing alone and then someone invites you and its a full 16 player lobby playing in a custom game lobby. It's the same thing as matchmaking really. So happy for this.

Loved Haven in Halo 4. While Halo 4 wasn't the best Halo multiplayer, Haven is a great Halo map.

Wonder if we'll get new gametypes soon. KoTH was fun on Haven. Oddball being further supported would be nice (medals, skull ball, etc...). We also need asymmetric gametypes yesterday.

Trup1aya

I think you'll see a spread of things initially, between Controllers vs M/KB, then M/KB players figuring out bindings and placements, and I don't know what that looks like in the end, but I've found myself playing VERY similar game styles whereby reticle control is a fine substitute for magnetism, but that's anecdotal as all getout.

I envy you and all the analytical data you'll be able to mine out of this.

The thought of trying to crouch-strafe my way to a reversal, or Ground Pound-Thrust Cancel- stabilize- recover from a near fall using a KB/m is hurting my brain...

But at the same time, the thought of having a fully loaded sniper against controller users makes my mouth water.

On another note, would it be safe to assume this would support offline MP via LAN? It would be so good to be able to have tourney's without relying on a net connection.

Where there ever minimum and max spec requirements mentioned for this?

If I use a controller on the PC for custom games will I still get the magnetism?

Top Bottom