• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for PC coming September 8th, additional Halo updates detailed

FyreWulff

Halo 2 PC felt better with a controller because it featured huge autoaim when you switched to a controller. I assume M/KB will feel fine if they remove that.

lol, no, the autoaim had nothing to do with it. Could get kills just fine on both. It just feels better, especially for combined inputs and trick inputs which you are constantly doing with both of your hands at most times. Not even talking about the aiming or putting shots on target here, more "everything else".

Same reason people tend to prefer gamepads and fightpad for PC versions of fighters.

Trup1aya

halo and halo 2 only felt weird on kbam because they did a shit job adding that control scheme, there's nothing inherent to the game that makes it feel like ass when you're using a mouse to aim

I don't think there's any reason aiming would feel bad with a mouse.

But I can think of reasons why locomotion would be cumbersome using keyboard keys, given all the crouching-strafing, sprint storing, stabilizing, and ground pound thrust cancelling found in high level play. I'm sure it'll normalize once people find good key-bindings... If they bother with KB for that long.

If you can imagine a world where a corporation does all this work, then gives it away for free just to hurt you, then go nuts.

This is a tool for Forge creators to iterate more quickly, find and share files, and for PC players to play Halo's MP suite with friends, for free. However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

H5 MP for free? on PC? damn!

Shame it doesn't include Warzone or Firefight though, that would have been killer! (mmm.. Forge Warzone mode..)

Also, I know the answer is "we have no plans at the moment", stinkles, but still, MCC on PC one day, plz? :)

Sanjuro

Have really enjoyed getting back into Halo the last couple months. I still feel like a grandpa with the new gameplay mechanics. Seem to have the hang a bit more.

This sounds like Halo 1 PC custom matchmaking of sorts. Guess I'm a bit confused. Through the web app, will console gamers be able to find these custom games? Or are the two audiences generally going to be segregated?

FyreWulff

Have really enjoyed getting back into Halo the last couple months. I still feel like a grandpa with the new gameplay mechanics. Seem to have the hang a bit more.

This sounds like Halo 1 PC custom matchmaking of sorts. Guess I'm a bit confused. Through the web app, will console gamers be able to find these custom games? Or are the two audiences generally going to be segregated?

No crossplay

wwm0nkey

Such small steps...Every Halo after Halo 1 should have been on the PC. Over 10 years later and all we get is Forge.
But

1. It's free
2. Halo Wars 1&2 are coming to PC
3. It's VERY likely that full version of Halo 6 is coming to PC

I still think MCC could come to PC too, but right now there is a no "old games" policy.

Such small steps...Every Halo after Halo 1 should have been on the PC. Over 10 years later and all we get is Forge.

Again, for the 50th time, they needed exclusive games for xbox. That brand survived because of halo. People bought xboxes for it.

How difficult is this to comprehend.

But

1. It's free
2. Halo Wars 1&2 are coming to PC
3. It's VERY likely that full version of Halo 6 is coming to PC

I still think MCC could come to PC too, but right now there is a no "old games" policy.
They just need to update MCC to make it new again.

I can't stop looking at footage of Mercy in awe. It looks like a completely different game with the level of detail in the environment art and effects. I love it.

I'm not part of the Forge for PC audience, but I can't see what it enables people to do. With a proper file browser inbound, I'll finally be able to explore Forge creations... and considering how insane some art, that's super exciting.

Hopefully a community driven Forge MM playlists is on the horizon as well. I still feel like Halo 5 desperately needs better map variety, and that really could help.

They just need to update MCC to make it new again.

Halo 3 anniversary which includes MCC for free, and also some final stability updates for MCC? It would probably be one way to get fans back to the title.

Or hell, give it to those who preorder Halo 6 for free. MCC needs a second chance.

Monocle

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?
Classic reactionary shitpost. Great contribution.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff

My thoughts

-Nice UI
-Probably a good indication most future Halo games will be hitting Windows 10
-Hoping the controller icon is a way to browse matches or a LFG built in

Controller icon is probably some sort of universal-ish controller settings, maybe? Like MCC had.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Interesting, so all Halo games will share one metaclient on Windows going forward.

Sounds like it. Interesting, but if they aren't bringing the Halo proper games over then it won't really have much use other than for Forge. This could be the start of Halo going cross platform down the road though.

Still, this is more Halo on PC than we had before, so it's a positive for everyone. But damnit Microsoft, I'm willing to give you my money if you would JUST bring the damn franchise to PC. Really I am. Honest.

FyreWulff

You can see Spartan Assault on the icons list too, so I think those are also being retroactively added to it.

Sounds like it. Interesting, but if they aren't bringing the Halo proper games over then it won't really have much use other than for Forge. This could be the start of Halo going cross platform down the road though.

Still, this is more Halo on PC than we had before, so it's a positive for everyone. But damnit Microsoft, I'm willing to give you my money if you would JUST bring the damn franchise to PC. Really I am. Honest.

It'd be nice if H2 PC could be added to it, but they shut down it's sessions servers so you can't even join games anymore, even though it's Live-aware.

H1 PC is in a weird spot where all the keys it'll accept have been printed, and technically Bungie is actually running it now, after taking it over from Gamespy's shutdown.

wwm0nkey

You can see Spartan Assault on the icons list too, so I think those are also being retroactively added to it.

It'd be nice if H2 PC could be added to it, but they shut down it's sessions servers so you can't even join games anymore, even though it's Live-aware.

H1 PC is in a weird spot where all the keys it'll accept have been printed, and technically Bungie is actually running it now, after taking it over from Gamespy's shutdown.

If only we had a collection that would solve all these issues.....

tr00per

Halo 3 anniversary which includes MCC for free, and also some final stability updates for MCC? It would probably be one way to get fans back to the title.

Or hell, give it to those who preorder Halo 6 for free. MCC needs a second chance.

Oh my god YES! This would be one thing that would make me believe in Microsoft taking pc seriously

wwm0nkey

Even though it exists, i feel like it doesnt just because of how theyve given up on it. Might as well not exist.
If they would just do one big update and advertise the update as well as a PC version I really think it could make a comeback. I love Halo 5 but I also want to play the older games at higher res, better frame rate (144) and FoV options on Windows 10

I'm still holding onto some hope of it happening though

If they would just do one big update and advertise the update as well as a PC version I really think it could make a comeback. I love Halo 5 but I also want to play the older games at higher res, better frame rate (144) and FoV options on Windows 10

That could work but seeing how they go out of their way to never even mention its existence, i wouldn't hold my breath.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oops. Sorry. I never do that, which is probably why I didn't know it's verboten.

You will find out more about easier ways to organize games soon. But correct, no XBL-style matchmaking.

Dude are you hinting a server browser. If yes I will lick your bald head like a lollipop

yeah, i feel like people are glossing over this a bit. whats the chances of this being a good port? with an fov slider, graphic options, etc?

I wouldn't hold you breath on a FOV slider. I would like to see great draw distance, sharpened rendering, etc...It'll probably just be a higher resolution though.

I can't stop looking at footage of Mercy in awe. It looks like a completely different game with the level of detail in the environment art and effects. I love it.
SNIP

I'm keen to see the 4K games in action on PC, quite curious how different all the art elements are going to come together at that resolution. Even if there's some fanciful technical wizardy to achieve 4K I'm assuming the underlying native resolution on PC is a number of notches up from the Xbone multiplayer, detail wise.

I'm really excited for this - Forge seemed like an enormous hassle to use on a gamepad. With a mouse and keyboard, I'll actually be able to make something cool without having to spend tons of time on stuff that can be completed super quickly with a typical PC map editor!

Does anyone know if Nvidia Shadowplay will work with this Halo 5 Forge & Custom Games for PC thing?

SeppOCE

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

You play them on PC and PVP is enabled. Yes you should be happy about it because it's Halo on PC and it also most likely means Halo 6 is coming to PC in some capacity too.

wwm0nkey

I'm really excited for this - Forge seemed like an enormous hassle to use on a gamepad. With a mouse and keyboard, I'll actually be able to make something cool without having to spend tons of time on stuff that can be completed super quickly with a typical PC map editor!

Does anyone know if Nvidia Shadowplay will work with this Halo 5 Forge & Custom Games for PC thing?

Windows 10 has that GameDVR enabled by default so there is that (disable it if you want some better performance on games)

Top Bottom