• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for PC coming September 8th, additional Halo updates detailed

jem0208

On another note, would it be safe to assume this would support offline MP via LAN? It would be so good to be able to have tourney's without relying on a net connection.

I somehow doubt they'd bother writing a bunch of P2P code just for Forge/custom games on PC.

RoKKeR

Yeah I don't really agree with these thoughts. I think it's really just them taking advantage of the new cross platform infrastructure to ad a feature people have been asking for for the better part of a decade.

Call it what you will, but I'd say it is a way of showing that Halo will be have a presence on PC going forward. Unfortunately I was only able to find this one example, but there was another along the lines of "expect to see similar PC support present for HW2 for future titles going forward" posts from frankie:

However the first full Halo game to come to PC day and date with Xbox One version, will be Halo Wars 2.

I've seen a few people who are convinced that the next big Halo title won't be a Play Anywhere title... This initiative is key to MS's strategy moving forward, and you can bet that their marquee title will be front and center when the time is right.

So.... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play? Is this really something I should be happy about?

Truly the worst first and misinformed post on GAF. Free PC Forge and 4K playable custom games almost a year after the game came out and you post this? How about a big fuck you mate :)

Miker

I think you'll see a spread of things initially, between Controllers vs M/KB, then M/KB players figuring out bindings and placements, and I don't know what that looks like in the end, but I've found myself playing VERY similar game styles whereby reticle control is a fine substitute for magnetism, but that's anecdotal as all getout.

If you use a controller, do you get the benefits of aim assist and magnetism? And if you're using an Xbone controller on W10, do the rumble triggers work?

FyreWulff

If you use a controller, do you get the benefits of aim assist and magnetism? And if you're using an Xbone controller on W10, do the rumble triggers work?

You didn't in Halo 2 PC. magnetism / assist turned off as soon as you touched the mouse.

Lots of new great art but the Warzone bases are exactly the same. Disappointing.

No! They added crates to the top of the bases now.

Trup1aya

I somehow doubt they'd bother writing a bunch of P2P code just for Forge/custom games on PC.
The alterior motive would be that it would be useful for community LANs and the competitive scene.

No more reliance on the web, and the ability to use forge maps

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Great stuff. I wont be using the forge tool personally, but cant wait to see some awesome creativity from people.

So after reading that... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big we are trying and the closest thing they have for us wont just be making maps for the Xbox One users to play, we get to play them too. This is really something I can be happy about.

jediyoshi

Yes, but you can't play the NON-Forge maps and single-player, which is what he's getting at.

Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big fuck you, and the closest thing we will have is to make maps for the Xbox One users to play?

Read to me your implicit interpretation of this statement.

So after reading that... Basically this is Microsoft telling PC users who wants to play Halo a big we are trying and the closest thing they have for us wont just be making maps for the Xbox One users to play, we get to play them too. This is really something I can be happy about.

A more accurate perspective:

Microsoft isn't telling PC players anything as this isn't meant for PC players. Forge on PC has been a requested feature going back to Halo 3, this is for the existing playerbase to use as a convenient tool. It's a fortunate byproduct that PC players can use Halo 5 Forge for custom games on both Arena and Forge maps, or even pick up Forge to make maps if they're so inclined.

if Titanfall was any indication, you should be able to get the same controller experience on PC as on console.

not sure what 343 will be doing though, but i'd presume they'd do this?

[honestly Halo on PC is SO WEIRD with kb/m, i would love if Halo 6 was strictly gamepad]

if Titanfall was any indication, you should be able to get the same controller experience on PC as on console.

not sure what 343 will be doing though, but i'd presume they'd do this?

[honestly Halo on PC is SO WEIRD with kb/m, i would love if Halo 6 was strictly gamepad]

If by "so weird" you mean "much better", you're completely correct.

Once you get good at aiming with mouse and keyboard, aiming with a controller feels like you're handicapped.

Once you get good at aiming with mouse and keyboard, aiming with a controller feels like you're handicapped.

uh, dude, i'm a PC gamer since the late 80s, i know a kb/m is better.

just not Halo, on PC it's always felt "wrong" with a kb/m, game has always just been designed around a controller and has always felt "right" that way for me.

obviously you're allowed to disagree, just statin' me wee' old opinion.

edit: and despite me feeling it feels "right" with a gamepad, i still feel handicapped with a gamepad somewhat - always have, always will.

jem0208

Halo is literally designed around the limitations of the controller.

One of the most important aspects of Halo’s weapon balance is the varying levels of aim assist and bullet magnetism. When using a mouse you obviously don’t have those so it completely changes the balance.

A straight port of Halo onto the PC is going to play very differently than on Xbox.

One of the most important aspects of Halo’s weapon balance is the varying levels of aim assist and bullet magnetism. When using a mouse you obviously don’t have those so it completely changes the balance.

A straight port of Halo onto the PC is going to play very differently than on Xbox.

agreed.

obviously kb/m is typically highly preferable to a gamepad for shooters, but Halo's gameplay feels entirely designed around the limitations / functionality of a gamepad.

which is why i always found Halo:CE on Windows, and Halo 2 on Vista... weird?

wish i could have played that Russian Halo online, would have been interesting to see how that played / felt.

Yeah I don't really agree with these thoughts. I think it's really just them taking advantage of the new cross platform infrastructure to ad a feature people have been asking for for the better part of a decade.

Frankie all but said that Halo 6 was coming to PC at some point.

derFeef

I would have loved to see Warzone Firefight on PC but this is neat for sure. I can see why this is the most feasible thing to do for them though.

Widge

I've encountered a few games on PC that have felt like this, moreso in recent years with the cross platform climate. And I have absolutely no beef with that at all. With my PC being my front room machine, quite happy to move to a non-keyboard bound future.

FyreWulff

uh, dude, i'm a PC gamer since the late 80s, i know a kb/m is better.

just not Halo, on PC it's always felt "wrong" with a kb/m, game has always just been designed around a controller and has always felt "right" that way for me.

obviously you're allowed to disagree, just statin' me wee' old opinion.

edit: and despite me feeling it feels "right" with a gamepad, i still feel handicapped with a gamepad somewhat - always have, always will.

Same here. Especially Halo 2 PC, it just "felt" so much better with the gamepad than KBAM. Even though I'm just fine in every other PC FPS with KBAM.

Problem with KBAM is close quarters is kind of shit with it and most other PC shooters avoid close quarters..

Storm360

Same here. Especially Halo 2 PC, it just "felt" so much better with the gamepad than KBAM. Even though I'm just fine in every other PC FPS with KBAM.

Problem with KBAM is close quarters is kind of shit with it and most other PC shooters avoid close quarters..

Halo 2 PC felt better with a controller because it featured huge autoaim when you switched to a controller. I assume M/KB will feel fine if they remove that.

aeolist

Banned
halo and halo 2 only felt weird on kbam because they did a shit job adding that control scheme, there's nothing inherent to the game that makes it feel like ass when you're using a mouse to aim

jem0208

halo and halo 2 only felt weird on kbam because they did a shit job adding that control scheme, there's nothing inherent to the game that makes it feel like ass when you're using a mouse to aim
CE with a mouse felt absolutely fine.

Doesn’t change the fact that the game is designed around a controller and will play very differently on PC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i hope it won't be too difficult getting into games. i regret selling my XB1 and i'm not prepared to buy another yet just for Halo. i tried halo online but just didnt feel right. i really believe Halo 5 has the best gameplay.

Top Bottom