• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Vire

Fans: We want huge awesome, unscripted environments with big encounters and more moments like "The Ark" and "The Covenant" from Halo 3...

343: Okay, here's this entirely heavily scripted, linear, straight corridor level design scenario.

wut.

I'm kinda at a loss for words.

SkyOdin

Halo 5 still has the issue I had with Halo 4 where the enemies seem to blend into the environments too much. It is something about the lighting, surface effects, or just the color palette used, but it is much harder to pick out enemies at a distance and tell them apart compared to earlier Halo games. It feels like they've put environmental graphics ahead of playability.

Also, I'm still salty that they replaced my ability to play couch co-op with AI squadmates. I already could tell my teammate to take down a dropship, and I didn't need a special command to do it.

Alienous

Fans: We want huge awesome, unscripted environments with big encounters and more moments like "The Ark" and "The Covenant" from Halo 3...

343: Okay, here's this entirely heavily scripted, linear, straight corridor level design scenario.

wut.

I'm kind of impressed they managed something so scripted for a CO-OP campaign.

Like, that takes real effort.

i-Lo

Is this game using PBR? The visuals have a sheen very similar to the Halo 4 which iirc, did not, albeit while looking good.

wut.

I think it's hard to excite the crowd when all you're allowed is a vertical slice. I do hope that the encounters are more reminiscent of Halo 3 than 4.

Hoping that they just picked this bit because of time restraints and/or wanting to avoid spoilers, 'cause I really wasn't terribly impressed. Much too scripted at the beginning, and the potentially interesting larger fight was way too short.

thelastword

Banned
Story seems nice, like the new Spartan. Don't know if it's just stream lag though, but there was tonnes of slowdown throughout that reveal, like really bad.

Mechazawa

wut.

E3 doesn't give a shit about what hardcore fans want.

Last gen Tomb Raider got slaughtered for basically showing a demo with minimal gameplay where you just press forward on the analog stick, so their response this year was to...do the exact same thing again.

The voice actor for the main character is NOT good

Yeah, every time I've heard Mike (Colter) I've thought he isn't very good. Jarring especially since Steve Downes, while not speaking a huge amount throughout the series, is very convincing and does a fantastic job overall.

wut.

Yeah it's kinda odd. This was the opener but it was such a mess and didn't seem to do much for anyone. I was hoping to see more but I dunno what happened. :/

aScaris

wut.

My thoughts... The enemies coming in waves combined with the "Oops! I almost slipped, but managed to grab this piece of stone! I'm alright!"-cutscene played in a shaky non-controlled first person view made me forget any Halo games past Halo Reach exist... I still hope they manage to make it a great game, but I feel like it will be more like Halo 4. An OK, but forgettable game.

subrock

Halo has totally lost me. The action sequences on rails do nothing for me. I miss the halo roots of big outdoor environments, exploration, wonder. The call of duty/ battlefield lifeless storytelling is a horrible trend in FPSes.

I'm glad multiplayer is why I play Halo. I hope for you campaigners sake that the only reason this gameplay was so linear was because of the need for 343 to show off "epic" setpieces/events, and not because that's how most of the game actually plays.

Warzone looks really cool though. I still think I'll stick to arena multiplayer most of the time, but I'm sure I'll dip my toes into this gametype.

Halo has totally lost me. The action sequences on rails do nothing for me. I miss the halo roots of big outdoor environments, exploration, wonder. The call of duty/ battlefield lifeless storytelling is a horrible trend in FPSes.
The fighting actually made me miss the Prometheans in Halo 4, where you at least had to divide your attention and do some juking yourself to get in close. In this demo it was a simple point and shoot affair across the board, save for showing off the ground-pound and a scripted moment where the big bad gets in your face.

This is like the third gameplay reveal in a row where the first half is just characters walking slowly.
Followed by the sprint/roady-run/tumbling jumps through a world falling apart. This formula has to be mandatory or something because its kind of disconcerting that all the big devs have the same idea.

watership

You can tell that from this demo?

Eh, is there another thread dedicated to the Halo reveal that I am missing? It's quiet as hell.

Halo isnt doing so hot nowadays so not many people are hyped apparently. The demo would have had to have been (is this right? English is confusing sometimes) mind blowing to turn a lot of people back. Its still way tol quiet tho. Guess everyone is at the other threads.

I think it looked interesting enough for what it was, a vertical slice. I do not for one second believe that is all there is to the campaign. It definitely wasn't what Game Informer wrote about in their play time with Blue Team.

It looked good and the sizzle trailer at the end showed some interesting things, especially with the Spartan IVs fighting like Red Team did in Halo Wars against the Arbiter's Elite. Looking forward to more

AYF 001

I just can't believe we're getting Halo: Republic Commando and Halo: Battlefront in the same package. It's like a dream(two of them!) come true

That squad commanding mechanic reminds me of Star Wars: Republic Commando.

If I remember correctly, that's because one of the lead developers of Republic Commando now works at 343i. So we can pretty much guarantee it'll be implemented skillfully.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's much better in comparison to Halo 4's linear and scripted demo from E3. I'm sure there will be huge battlefields with that Halo sandbox we know and love.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

wut.

I feel the same. That looked like mainly set piece cod style campaign. Hopefully that section was chosen to demo for those very reasons and the vast majority of the campaign isn't like that

DocSeuss

:\

This doesn't look like a halo game. Art design looks overly busy like in Halo 4. Encounter design still seems like it's derived from the Halo 4 encounters. I'll hold off until reviews.

I need to see Halo's rhythm and feel. The prospect of playing Reach with Backwards Compatibility is way more exciting right now.

18811873826_8ec2d0ae47_o.jpg

I am liking the new soldier variants though. But man, what is going on with the discrepancies between the textures (as seen in this screenshot, but I also noticed that the large guardian construct also looked a bit jaggy with weird textures).

jelly

Very dull and by the numbers but happy to see new weapons that are a little different and Prometheun enemies look to be better. Looks like there is some alternate routes which might be cool for repeat playthroughs but the world falling apart and run, snooze.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for a 60fps game, it looks great. I little worried about that aliasing though.
I think it's still rendering at the betas 720. Still, as you mentioned, it looks incredible for a 60 fps title

JaggedSac

The fighting actually made me miss the Prometheans in Halo 4, where you at least had to divide your attention and do some juking yourself to get in close. In this demo it was a simple point and shoot affair across the board, save for showing off the ground-pound and a scripted moment where the big bad gets in your face.

Stage demos are always with nuclear powered weapons and nerfed enemy health.

GnawtyDog

Banned
60fps taking a hit on dem graphics. Looks decent still. Any word on final res?

I would lie if I said I wasn't interested in seeing more but it didn't blew me away - not anywhere near or close to, like Halo 3 did. Then again Halo 3 is peak Halo hype.

Zero²

I always thought the set-pieces and the overall story were really nice, too bad I cant play Halo without getting horrible headaches :(
I heard there is a movie coming someday, so there's that.

wut.

You guys gotta relax. It's E3. It's always a scripted vertical slice. Do you think Tomb Raider is uber scripted and linear all the time?

Most E3 demos are very scripted linear trailers. Now they is something we should complain about. It misrepresents games.

That was really cool. Dunno what people in the first page are talking about. Seems like there were plenty of combat areas next to the story events in that level.

i-Lo

FOUND IT a HQ version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjwJ9Z_XYs

your welcome :)

Looks Stunning!

Saw that already and unfortunately, unlike the live YT live stream, this is not at 60fps playback. One would think that of all the outlets featuring this, the official one would contain the actual 60fps footage.

I would lie if I said I wasn't interested in seeing more but it didn't blew me away - not anywhere near or close to, like Halo 3 did. Then again Halo 3 is peak Halo hype.

Guesstimating it to be either "dynamic" 1080p or native 900p.

L4nnist3r

H3 did look pretty bad though, even for its time, blocky character models, bad textures, sub-hd res, terrible aliasing.

KORNdoggy

Visuals remind me of the new doom. Ie. nothing amazing, but at least it's 60fps. I've found all the live demo's pretty boring so far though and this is no exception. I find myself a lot harder to please i guess. gears on the other hand looked really nice, but moved and played slow and boringly. I need something to excite me!

Stage demos are always with nuclear powered weapons and nerfed enemy health.
True that, but it doesn't sell a game focused on combat all that well. Enemy behaviors that force the player to adapt are where a shooter shines imho.

But seriously, I'm jazzed to hear the enemy voices. Didn't even know I missed it so much until I heard that grunt bewailing his fate. Makes a huge difference and provides more personality and a nice touch of humor to the aliens you fight and fight alongside.

Top Bottom