• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

solis74

Saw that already and unfortunately, unlike the live YT live stream, this is not at 60fps playback. One would think that of all the outlets featuring this, the official one would contain the actual 60fps footage.

oh right thanks, looks amazing anyway :)

PnCIa

If this runs at 1080/60 its impressive. But everything else...why did they show the most linear, shitty, non-game demo?

Majanew

Banned
Poor section of the campaign to show off. Aliasing needs touched up before release. It's like Halo 3 jaggies again. And that gun bob animation when Locke is sprinting. It's like they stole that stupid looking animation from COD. Fix that shit. It looks goofy. I was honestly surprised how underwhelmed I was watching this footage.

Syf

Banned
Halo has totally lost me. The action sequences on rails do nothing for me. I miss the halo roots of big outdoor environments, exploration, wonder. The call of duty/ battlefield lifeless storytelling is a horrible trend in FPSes.
Yeah, this is how I feel about it too. They've adopted the CoD style of campaign and it's disappointing.

Yep, it's Republic Commando. It's a good mechanic if it's implemented well.

But they seem really intent on pushing the squad thing over the fact that people really wanna be Master Chief. It's a Halo game after all.

Yeah, this is how I feel about it too. They've adopted the CoD style of campaign and it's disappointing.

I mean...yeah I can see what you mean from that gameplay snippet. However, it's a snippet and I doubt it would be constantly on the rails like Call of Duty is. If it is like this throughout, it's a complete failure IMO.

One of the primary draws of the Halo campaigns is the wide open, yet linear, gameplay spaces.

Halo has totally lost me. The action sequences on rails do nothing for me. I miss the halo roots of big outdoor environments, exploration, wonder. The call of duty/ battlefield lifeless storytelling is a horrible trend in FPSes.

The sad thing is that apparently the game is very much open ended, well, if the previews were to be believed. The E3 slice simply isn't representative of that.

Furthermore, I agree with others, the jaggies remind of OG Halo 3.

tuna_love

Banned
The demo did remind me of republic commando which was cool but I'm really hoping for more wide open areas. Warzone looked pretty interesting

I mean...yeah I can see what you mean from that gameplay snippet. However, it's a snippet and I doubt it would be constantly on the rails like Call of Duty is. If it is like this throughout, it's a complete failure IMO.

One of the primary draws of the Halo campaigns is the wide open, yet linear, gameplay spaces.

I think the idea of the piece was to show off the setting, not the gameplay. I wouldn't have done it, but they needed to give people some headline shots to use on their articles.

Oh my god Halo 5 looks atrocious
duty_calls.png

Nah but really, I respect your opinion and your probable decision to not buy it, you do you friend.

PnCIa

Watched it again. Looks terrible. The graphics are nice. But only a couple of enemies on screen?
This demo could have been from any modern CoD clone with a space setting.

Fans: We want huge awesome, unscripted environments with big encounters and more moments like "The Ark" and "The Covenant" from Halo 3...

343: Okay, here's this entirely heavily scripted, linear, straight corridor level design scenario.

wut.

I'm kinda at a loss for words.

Par for the course with 343i, I'm afraid.

prophetxxx

Neo Member
I'm now guessing a significant chunk of those 30 maps are specifically for Warzone.

Wtf no master chief gameplay. That's the most disappointing part halo is master chief not Locke. Kinda let down otherwise game looks good so far.

Monocle

That barely resembled the Halo I know.

- Enormous God of War-like setpieces
- A linear scripted level
- Squad based combat
- Gimmicky sequences that interrupt gameplay
- More awful Prometheans
- Unremarkable music that disappears into the background
- Everything's so busy and shiny

How am I supposed to explore the environments with my squad barking at me all the time? Where's the open level design that promotes sandbox gameplay? Is all that scripted stuff really going to be enjoyable on the fifth, tenth, or thirtieth replay? Why can't we have a campaign full of levels like The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room?

The game looks well made on the surface, but judging by that demo alone, 343 seems to have doubled down on a lot of the things I didn't like in Halo 4. I'm very uneasy about Halo 5 now. This doesn't look like the back-to-basics sequel I wanted. Bungie's imprint on the series seems all but gone.

I think it would have been difficult to demo a more open-ended mission given the time constraints they had. So they chose a more linear scripted sequence (since they demo better on stage at E3) to give you an idea of all the new gameplay mechanics available.

angelic

Banned
so its going to be like gears 3 having your 3 AI partners killing everyone before you get a chance. legendary mode completed by hiding and letting your team kill everyone.

looks a good game, but a halo game in name only.

- Squad based combat
- More awful Prometheans

How am I supposed to explore the environments with my squad barking at me all the time? Where's the open level design that promotes sandbox gameplay? Is all that scripted stuff really going to be enjoyable on the fifth, tenth, or thirtieth replay? Why can't we have a campaign full of levels like The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room?

The game looks well made on the surface, but judging by that demo alone, 343 seems to have doubled down on a lot of the things I didn't like in Halo 4. I'm very uneasy about Halo 5 now. This doesn't look like the back-to-basics sequel I wanted. Bungie's imprint on the series seems all but gone.

Is this your first E3?

Elginer

- Squad based combat
- More awful Prometheans

The game looks well made on the surface, but judging by that trailer alone, 343 seems to have doubled down on a lot of the things I didn't like in Halo 4. I'm very uneasy about Halo 5 now. This doesn't look like the back-to-basics sequel I wanted. Bungie's imprint on the series seems all but gone.

That's what I got out of it. It's not the Halo I want and that's ok. Perhaps others will enjoy it. This seems to be the natural evolution of Halo 4's art and flash versus gameplay fundamentals that made Halo, well Halo for me.

- Squad based combat
- More awful Prometheans

Of course it was a linear section, it's an E3 demo. 343 have already said that the campaign levels have multiple paths and there's nothing wrong with 343 getting rid of 'bungies imprint' on the series. 343 aren't bungie and they shouldn't try to be.

Halo 5 looks awesome. can't wait to play it.
so its going to be like gears 3 having your 3 AI partners killing everyone before you get a chance. legendary mode completed by hiding and letting your team kill everyone.

looks a good game, but a halo game in name only.

That's doubtful, lots of partners needed to be revived all the time more likely.

Monocle

I think it would have been difficult to demo a more open-ended mission given the time constraints they had. So they chose a more linear scripted sequence (since they demo better on stage at E3) to give you an idea of all the new gameplay mechanics available.
I understand that, but when Bungie first demoed Halo 3 they showed us Tsavo Highway, which was quite linear and scripted by Halo standards, but still opened up in areas to allow for varied approaches. You could tackle that level on foot, in one of several vehicles, and with an aggressive or cautious approach using many different weapons and equipment types.

Can the same be said of this Halo 5 level? Not that I can see.

Of course it was a linear section, it's an E3 demo. 343 have already said that the campaign levels have multiple paths and there's nothing wrong with 343 getting rid of 'bungies imprint' on the series. 343 aren't bungie and they shouldn't try to be.
Uhh, Bungie's imprint is the thing that defines Halo. 343 could respect the series' essence while still evolving it, if they wanted to. I'm talking about things like open levels with lots of different approaches and a wide range of weapons and vehicles, clean art design that helps players get an easy read of the environment and enemies, and the lone warrior in a hostile environment kind of tone that gave earlier Halo campaigns their distinct feeling. There was a sense of solitude that's missing now. And 343 doesn't seem to respect the fundamentals of good game design that make Bungie's games so fun to replay.

Instead they're turning Halo into a different beast.

Is this your first E3?
Yes I'm 12.

That's what I got out of it. It's not the Halo I want and that's ok. Perhaps others will enjoy it. This seems to be the natural evolution of Halo 4's art and flash versus gameplay fundamentals that made Halo, well Halo for me.
Yeah...

angelic

Banned
Halo 5 looks awesome. can't wait to play it.

That's doubtful, lots of partners needed to be revived all the time more likely.

its a very delicate balance to ruin though. halo games have always been solitary for me, like metroid. explore the world at your leisure. watching the snow fall above you in the sky, thinking carefully about your situation. could you imagine AOTCR or 2 betrayals with 3x AI buddies blasting alongside you, high fiving and just generally being obnoxious alongside you. YEAH - KILL - SHOT! WOO!. no no no no no.

jelly

It's stuff like Locke falling and clinging on, that is 100% anti Halo.

Why can't I just jump, maybe fall off or not, what's that down there, maybe I can jump or propel myself to a place I shouldn't be or just explore at my leisure. The run segment is forgettable.

TBLFordy

Banned
Idle curiosity but were people saying the same after the Halo 4 demo i.e. it's only a demo, of course it's linear due to the nature of E3 etc?

Cause you know, Halo 4 kinda turned out exactly like the demo suggested. Linear march from cut scene to cut scene with the odd quick time event thrown in.

Oddly enough the H4 demo even ended with a Promethean glowy skull in your face moment.....

It's stuff like Locke falling and clinging on, that is 100% anti Halo.

Why can't I just jump, maybe fall off or not, what's that down there, maybe I can jump or propel myself to a place I shouldn't be or just explore at my leisure. The run segment is forgettable.
He clambored didn't he? Seemed like they were showing off that new move there, along with the ground-pound a little later.

Monocle

He clambored didn't he? Seemed like they were showing off that new move there, along with the ground-pound a little later.
Yeah, we don't need any of that shit. Once the novelty fades, you're left with a bunch of gimmicks that get in your way. Don't tell me the game won't try to force you to use that stuff. Areas of the campaign will be designed to promote those features.

Top Bottom