• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

AR starts AND less BR spawns!? wtf, this is horrid if true.

I was wondering that as well. I was playing on Regret and was thinking "where in the hell are the BR's?" Turns out, only two spawn on the map, Red Base and Blue Base (that may have been the case before AR starts returned as I never had a need to seek out a BR). I think all of the BR spawns are in the right places on Empire; 2 outside, 2 in Red and Blue Base, and 2 in bottom middle. All of the BR spawns are correct on Truth as well as Pegasus.

Leyasu

Banned
Seeing as US and surrounding countries are having a blast and only they can fill in the survey, I am quite anxious about the final results.

Just had a game on EU, damn it feels so good. Shots register, people die, my aim feels stickier/better.

Probably just gonna quit out of every US game, it's downright terrible and disgusting how advantageous it is for them. Hopefully that sends a message.

Anxious is not the word...

Anyway, it is even easier to see if you are you of region before the match starts. If the names appear instantly, then your good. If there is a delay, and you just get the little lines before the names appear.... Then just use the party trick to leave. Not even worth bothering with.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was wondering that as well. I was playing on Regret and was thinking "where in the hell are the BR's?" Turns out, only two spawn on the map, Red Base and Blue Base (that may have been the case before AR starts returned as I never had a need to seek out a BR). I think all of the BR spawns are in the right places on Empire; 2 outside, 2 in Red and Blue Base, and 2 in bottom middle. All of the BR spawns are correct on Truth as well as Pegasus.

are the regret BRs base 2 or the ones in front of the blue lifts in base 1. how about DMR spawns, anything different with those?

edit: confusing truth and regret

JackHerer

Tomorrow they should add two slayer playlists. One with BR starts and the other with AR starts. See which one has better population numbers.

AR starts really brings the fun in this game down a few notches, that's for sure (my experience obviously).

I really can't stress enough how I dislike the art direction Halo 4 and 5 took. I much prefer the clean look of Halo 3 compared to the vaseline that is Halo 4 and 5. The lighting in Halo 4 looks really bad compared to Halo 3, the HDR in 3 is amazing.

Jeez AR starts really is so unfuckingbelievably bad.

If you're gonna do AR starts have radar off so the team or opponent with the weapon advantage doesn't also have the position advantage on you. Otherwise all I see is kids with ARs crouching around for half the match while the other team continues to pick them off.
And no, theres nothing fun in that. Thats not fundamental Halo gameplay.
If you want AR starts then remove BRs and DMRs from the maps altogether, otherwise make BR starts default for all game types.

This game just got so unbelievably boring. What I thought would be a marathon weekend of the beta just turned into disappointment. Good job fakeBungie.

btags

I am sure many will disagree with me. But I think the reason so many people hate AR starts is it prevents you from carrying a team. With BR starts, there is a reasonable chance of you having a kdr of 2.0 or 3.0 thus making up for any bad players on the team. With AR starts I feel like if your team is bad, there is no chance in hell of you carrying them. I personally like it this way.

MaGlock

I am sure many will disagree with me. But I think the reason so many people hate AR starts is it prevents you from carrying a team. With BR starts, there is a reasonable chance of you having a kdr of 2.0 or 3.0 thus making up for any bad players on the team. With AR starts I feel like if your team is bad, there is no chance in hell of you carrying them. I personally like it this way.

It's just too easy for good players to lock your team down.

Tawpgun

That's one of the reasons I hate it

How many shots to kill with this pistol? I can never get a kill unless they're already weak or I get in a melee. The pistol just seems underpowered.

CyReN

Yes, punish people for being good. Great logic.

None of this makes any sense.

Vidpixel

I really can't stress enough how I dislike the art direction Halo 4 and 5 took. I much prefer the clean look of Halo 3 compared to the vaseline that is Halo 4 and 5. The lighting in Halo 4 looks really bad compared to Halo 3, the HDR in 3 is amazing.

Really? I thought the art style in Halo 4 was a tremendous leap forward when compared to the previous entries in the series.

8-Billy-Madison-quotes.gif

The last sentence killed me.

CyReN

It doesn't punish people who are good, but rather teams who are bad. For a gametype that is based on playing with a team, I think this is a good thing.

No, it punishes people who are good and makes people that aren't good at Halo feel better than they actually are since the AR has a very low skill ceiling. I have no problems with AR as a secondary/pickup, starts for AR have never worked in Halo. It's just a cheap gimmick Bungie and 343 keep falling back on.

btags

No, it punishes people who are good and makes people that aren't good at Halo feel better than they actually are since the AR has a very low skill ceiling. I have no problems with AR as a secondary/pickup, starts for AR have never worked in Halo. It's just a cheap gimmick Bungie and 343 keep falling back on.

I never understood how people think the AR has a low skill ceiling. I mean, of course you can just hold down the trigger, but that doesn't automatically get you a kill. Especially in the halo 5 beta movement options are vital to staying alive. Even discounting movement options the pistol, BR, DMR, light rifle, etc. can all beat anyone using an AR when used properly.

As for punishing people that are good, I think it is more a problem of poorly created games. If teams were actually equally balanced in the beta, then you wouldn't have the problem of "punishing the good." It may match up people of equal ranks in the beta, but I think ranks are not really representative of how good you are in the beta as I have seen a lot of great silver ranks and lots of terrible gold ranks.

Lastly, to add to my argument, I think AR starts force people to use more of the weapons in the beta. Pistol actually sees use with AR starts and other long range weapons such as the DMR and light rifle are picked up more often because you do not start out with a similarly ranged weapon.

abadguy

Banned
This game is so biased against non US players, or at least it seems that way. I know I'm not this bad at the game haha. (Aus)

Can't find a game half the time

Also, the graphics suck worse than previous halos, can't see a god damn thing. Sword is horrible. Lighting is shit, better off without that over the top bloom shit.

Gangsta crap fails so hard and is embarrassing

Oh and xbone sticks are a downgrade from 360

All in all a disappointment so far, haven't eve gotten into detail re: other issues, games so depressing that can't be fucked.

Surely this is alpha not even beta lol

The fuck am i reading here?

What if the fix for this is to create a better MM where you're matched up with people who have similar skill based on skill stats* instead of wins/losses. Maybe then the AR starts for the lone wolves will become more appealing for those who are strictly BR starts.

I love both because of the different approaches you will need to do with those starts. Plus i haven't seen any team horde the precision weapons but actually see equal amounts on each side.

*KDA + Accuracy % and other back end stuff I probably don't see or know anything about.

Also, the pistol can be a beast if you know how to use it. probably can get 5 shots before someone can 4 shot br? I haven't tested it but it seems possible.

Ok, an actual response would suffice. I said I like AR starts because I think it promotes team play over lone wolfing it. What is your argument against that?

''It prevents you from carrying a team''

This should never be a good quality for any game. Halo 5 is already immensely reliant on team play.

I will be brutally honest here, the people that generally (remember, generally) love the AR starts are the ones that cannot win BR battles. The AR takes away a lot of the required precision and does not punish for missing shots by having a crosshair the size of half your screen as well as firing a continuous stream of bullets. You cannot, under any circumstance, win a 1vs2 in AR starts, unless the other team is iron tier and you're relatively good.

Halo 5 made the entire AR debacle even worse, as the gun received smart scope as well as a headshot modifier. The headshot modifier introduces a shit ton of randomness to the already lame and cheap AR gunfights, seeing as the spread doesn't reward precision headshots but is simply based around luck.

The issue becomes even worse when moderately good players are forced onto AR starts. Once one group collects all the precision weapons off the map, the other team is pretty much done for.

Now, apparently this wouldn't bother you. Seeing as you are a proponent of the 'you deserve to lose when you have 0/15 teammates' instead of 'damn, I just managed to win the game, despite having a teammate who went 0/15'. The first example is frustration, the other can be incredibly rewarding. Your choice.

Mesonak

I like AR starts on occasion for variety's sake because they turn the long range weapons into valuable tools that give you an edge. It changes the dynamic of the game, sometimes in fun ways.

That being said, there's no way in hell that I'd advocate AR starts over BR starts. BR starts feel like the way that Halo should be played. AR starts is just a spin-off mode.

btags

''It prevents you from carrying a team''

This should never be a good quality for any game. Halo 5 is already immensely reliant on team play.

I will be brutally honest here, the people that generally (remember, generally) love the AR starts are the ones that cannot win BR battles. The AR takes away a lot of the required precision and does not punish for missing shots by having a crosshair the size of half your screen as well as firing a continuous stream of bullets. You cannot, under any circumstance, win a 1vs2 in AR starts, unless the other team is iron tier and you're relatively good.

Halo 5 made the entire AR debacle even worse, as the gun received smart scope as well as a headshot modifier. The headshot modifier introduces a shit ton of randomness to the already lame and cheap AR gunfights, seeing as the spread doesn't reward precision headshots but is simply based around luck.

The issue becomes even worse when moderately good players are forced onto AR starts. Once one group collects all the precision weapons off the map, the other team is pretty much done for.

Now, apparently this wouldn't bother you. Seeing as you are a proponent of the 'you deserve to lose when you have 0/15 teammates' instead of 'damn, I just managed to win the game, despite having a teammate who went 0/15'. The first example is frustration, the other can be incredibly rewarding. Your choice.

I can understand everything you said except the bolded. The AR reticule is nowhere near the size some people make it out to be and it is pure hyperbole to say it is half the screen. For the latter, the way ranged weapons are placed on most maps has them spread out throughout the entire map. So if the other team controls all of the ranged weapons that just means you did not even try to obtain one, or the other team happened to randomly spawn with one player in each corner of the map, which does not happen.

And again, I am fine with you not being able to win a 1v2 with an AR, as that stresses that you should stick with your team and/or have better positioning and map awareness.

GTSweet

Neo Member
I like AR starts on occasion for variety's sake because they turn the long range weapons into valuable tools that give you an edge. It changes the dynamic of the game, sometimes in fun ways.

That being said, there's no way in hell that I'd advocate AR starts over BR starts. BR starts feel like the way that Halo should be played. AR starts is just a spin-off mode.

Reasonable response.

AR starts are fine occasionally and the abundance of long range BRs/DMRs/LR on the maps make it even easier to dominate weaker opponents. But BR starts should be the slayer norm.

BR/AR start was my favorite load-out personally this Beta.

Favorite Maps: in order Truth, Empire, Regret, Eden, Pegasus, Orion (yuck)

Liked both Breakout and Stronghold (improvement over 3 plots/territories).

The new spartan abilities are fair and with a few tweaks, balanced. Equal start is all I need.

Overall, I thought this beta was great evolution forward as someone who's been playing Halo fanatically since the start, I'm good with it.

Ramirez

Played a few games last night...the game is just so...messy with ARs. Maybe if the pistol wasn't the hardest gun in the game to use, it'd be ok, I dunno.

Team Slayer should be BR/AR starts and Team Slayer Casual should be AR/Magnum starts. Get rid of Team Slayer "Pro" because that's how the default game should be played, as you suggest too. The "Casual" shouldn't be offensive to anyone because it's equivalent to the "Pro" we've seen for so many years when in reality that should have always been regular "Team Slayer."

Done, ship it.

yeh and bungie and 343 have taken the stubborn, opposite view on this.

Team Slayer should be BR/AR starts and Team Slayer Casual should be AR/Magnum starts. Get rid of Team Slayer "Pro" because that's how the default game should be played, as you suggest too. The "Casual" shouldn't be offensive to anyone because it's equivalent to the "Pro" we've seen for so many years when in reality that should have always been regular "Team Slayer."

Done, ship it.

well if they want to keep both radar and no radar gametypes than they do need to keep the Pro gametype.

I can understand everything you said except the bolded. The AR reticule is nowhere near the size some people make it out to be and it is pure hyperbole to say it is half the screen. For the latter, the way ranged weapons are placed on most maps has them spread out throughout the entire map. So if the other team controls all of the ranged weapons that just means you did not even try to obtain one, or the other team happened to randomly spawn with
one player in each corner of the map, which does not happen.

And again, I am fine with you not being able to win a 1v2 with an AR, as that stresses that you should stick with your team and/or have better positioning and map awareness.

Of course 'half the screen' is an exaggeration, but compare the crosshair to that of the LR and the DMR (BR being a bit more lenient) and you'll see. Headshots don't belong on automatics, at least not in Halo. RNG isn't fun for anyone.

Also, don't get me wrong. I like Halo 5, yes the connection and matchmaking issues can make it insanely broken/frustrating but it's a beta for a game that'll be released a year from now.

However, sprint is pretty much the counter argument for map awareness/positioning. Sprint ensured a 30m motion tracker and it also ensured that people can run from 1vs1s to their teammates (or the teammates get at the scene instantly). Then again, if the game created a solo playlist this wouldn't be as big a issue.

well if they want to keep both radar and no radar gametypes than they do need to keep the Pro gametype.
They shouldn't. What they need to focus on is having a consistent experience across all playlists, so no motion tracker should be the way to go. It's a crutch that hurts ranked gameplay and limits a player's skill progression because they don't focus as much on their surroundings and improving their combat awareness.

Motion tracker is a long, tired discussion at this point. 343 knows what it does to gameplay, they know how many of us feel about it, so I'm hoping for the best.

Top Bottom