• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

They shouldn't. What they need to focus on is having a consistent experience across all playlists, so no motion tracker should be the way to go. It's a crutch that hurts ranked gameplay and limits a player's skill progression because they don't focus as much on their surroundings and improving their combat awareness.

Motion tracker is a long, tired discussion at this point. 343 knows what it does to gameplay, they know how many of us feel about it, so I'm hoping for the best.

well yeh i agree with everything you're arguing for, but i don't think they'll remove it from all gametypes regardless.

JaggedSac

''It prevents you from carrying a team''

This should never be a good quality for any game. Halo 5 is already immensely reliant on team play.

I will be brutally honest here, the people that generally (remember, generally) love the AR starts are the ones that cannot win BR battles. The AR takes away a lot of the required precision and does not punish for missing shots by having a crosshair the size of half your screen as well as firing a continuous stream of bullets. You cannot, under any circumstance, win a 1vs2 in AR starts, unless the other team is iron tier and you're relatively good.

Are you saying you can win 1 vs 2 when everyone has BRs? Who the hell are you playing against, lol.

btags

Of course 'half the screen' is an exaggeration, but compare the crosshair to that of the LR and the DMR (BR being a bit more lenient) and you'll see. Headshots don't belong on automatics, at least not in Halo. RNG isn't fun for anyone.

Also, don't get me wrong. I like Halo 5, yes the connection and matchmaking issues can make it insanely broken/frustrating but it's a beta for a game that'll be released a year from now.

However, sprint is pretty much the counter argument for map awareness/positioning. Sprint ensured a 30m motion tracker and it also ensured that people can run from 1vs1s to their teammates (or the teammates get at the scene instantly). Then again, if the game created a solo playlist this wouldn't be as big a issue.

Why shouldn't an automatic have a larger reticule though? It is a different weapon with a different role. The large reticule helps at close range but sucks long range, which is what makes sense for a close to mid range weapon.

However, sprint is pretty much the counter argument for map awareness/positioning. Sprint ensured a 30m motion tracker and it also ensured that people can run from 1vs1s to their teammates (or the teammates get at the scene instantly). Then again, if the game created a solo playlist this wouldn't be as big a issue.

It used to be 15m, right? That is a pretty big difference if so.

Why shouldn't an automatic have a larger reticule though? It is a different weapon with a different role. The large reticule helps at close range but sucks long range, which is what makes sense for a close to mid range weapon.

It would make sense, but then they gave the AR smart scope and the headshot modifier. Effectively creating a gun that, especially with the default scheme, can operate outside the range it was intended for and require no skill in doing so.

It would make sense, but then they gave the AR smart scope and the headshot modifier.

Did 343i confirm this or is this conclusion by random reads of people's play through? I know they are going to address the spamming of the DMR rifle.

"Issue: When spamming the trigger with the DMR occasionally gives a higher-than-normal fire rate.
Status: This is a known issue and will be resolved for the full release of Halo 5: Guardians. Thank you for your reports and feedback."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ng/734063aa-4a41-45f2-8e93-f97dd85e8e88/posts

Glass

I haven't played a console shooter online since Halo 3 days, so I'm under no illusions about representing a typical Halo player, but I'm having alot of fun with AR starts. Messy fun with messy fights, but fun all the same. Peoplw are getting stuck in, fights break out all over the maps now.

Hubble

AR starts killing the beta. It wouldn't be so bad if there were more BR/DMR's available. They are far too thin on maps especially on Orion and Pegasus.

Ramirez

No. There was never a time where you could win 1v2 in a BR fight.

Too long of a kill time with too much aim assist and a subpar strafe are the reasons for this.

If you're strictly speaking 2v1 head on with no movement to cover or anything, no. But that's not what I meant.

Booshka

No. There was never a time where you could win 1v2 in a BR fight.

Too long of a kill time with too much aim assist and a subpar strafe are the reasons for this.

H2 with double or quad shot was about it. Otherwise the extra guy fighting you must be missing really badly.

Also, was wondering, since I havent played H5, does the Pistol have a decreased hipfire aim assist range compared to the BR? Is that what makes it harder to use, or is it because the shots to kill is too high and the fact that it is a single projectile.

Ramirez

H2 with double or quad shot was about it. Otherwise the extra guy fighting you must be missing really badly.

Also, was wondering, since I havent played H5, does the Pistol have a decreased hipfire aim assist range compared to the BR? Is that what makes it harder to use, or is it because the shots to kill is too high and the fact that it is a single projectile.

The shots to kill is too high, the recoil is too severe, the range assist falls off drastically, and flinch makes it near impossible to use in a shoot out. It's just much easier to get kills with any other weapon in the game. Oh, and it has the most useless zoom in the game.

Also, was wondering, since I haven't played H5, does the Pistol have a decreased hipfire aim assist range compared to the BR? Is that what makes it harder to use, or is it because the shots to kill is too high and the fact that it is a single projectile.

to my experience, auto aim assist has been removed almost completely. however there is an odd magnetism that usually incorporates itself when lag is affecting you/others.

From my experience with the pistol is harder to use due to it's recoil. It's beastly if you master it. Can usually descope people from afar with it.

If you're strictly speaking 2v1 head on with no movement to cover or anything, no. But that's not what I meant.
Nope, what I'm talking about is just about any situation that could happen at all. You're walking across river on Beaver Creek and two guys pop around the corner.. You're dead. 1v1 battle but an enemy teammate starts shooting you too because team shooting is required to be effective, you're dead. etc. etc.

Only game you have a chance in any situation of being outnumbered was CE because of the strafe, fast potential kill time and lower aim assist.
Agreed.
All of this. The RRR is much less than the BR, both scoped and unscoped. The aim assist has been decreased from Halo 4 so it's more difficult to use. It takes 6 shots to kill.

The only improvements to it are that it shoots faster, equips fast when switching to it and has 12 shots again. Overall, I'd say it's been nerfed from Halo 4.

CoCo_CoCo

Banned
Disgusting, this game is unplayable with AR/Pistol, whoever gets rifle control wins easily.

Sometimes I enjoy this game, but sprinting/ground pound/thruster/stabilizer aren't adding to the fun, they're just distractions.

Booshka

So, DMR should have a 15 shot clip, 5 shots to kill, BR should have 36 rounds, 12 rounds to kill, 4 Bursts, and Pistol should be 15 round clip, 5 shots to kill. Flinch is being removed, aim assist being a bit lower than Rifles is fine, but recoil on a Pistol, in a Halo game, shouldn't be a thing.

I think that precision weapons should be able to kill at least three players with optimal use in one clip, including the Pistol. A Pistol 5 shot should also be able to compete with a mid to close range AR, unless the AR lands the majority of its shots, the optimal TTK Pistol should win out the majority of battles.

Tawpgun

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
He was being sarcastic about the ranking system lol

Honestly, moments like that are what I like about thruster. Those small, well timed, hard but not impossible to predict bursts of movement that allow a good outplay. Same with the ballsy come at me sword bro thrust towards him manly fight. They are good.

Too bad with bad maps massively oversized due to sprint, very short cooldown and too much range, it's primary use is "Hey, I'm losing this fight, I'll just thrust to safety" making it significantly slow down gameplay.

I'm sure its been said before, but why not BR starts for Slayer, AR starts for objective games? Makes the most sense to me, considering the main issue with AR is that you can't carry a team.

What...

That is such a monumentally god awful idea.

Oh, you managed to team wipe. Congrats, have a 100% free flag cap because the other team is spawning with weapons that have the effective range of a nerf gun against a whole team with medium/long range precision rifles. It completely removes the counterplay aspect of objectives...

I'm sure its been said before, but why not BR starts for Slayer, AR starts for objective games? Makes the most sense to me, considering the main issue with AR is that you can't carry a team.

Honestly, moments like that are what I like about thruster. Those small, well timed, hard but not impossible to predict bursts of movement that allow a good outplay. Same with the ballsy come at me sword bro thrust towards him manly fight. They are good.

Too bad with bad maps massively oversized due to sprint, very short cooldown and too much range, it's primary use is "Hey, I'm losing this fight, I'll just thrust to safety"
making it significantly slow down gameplay.

Agreed. Sort of a love and hate relationship with it as well. Sadly, its defensive capabilities are far easier to use and abuse than to use it offensively.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Agreed. Sort of a love and hate relationship with it as well. Sadly, its defensive capabilities are far easier to use and abuse than to use it offensively.

Exactly.

It needs a massive increase to it's cooldown. 10+ seconds minimum. That makes it's use far more important. Having a smaller range and slower travel speed, probably around 3/4 of it's current plus a massive increase in cooldown gives a large punishment for poorly timed use and greatly reduces the get-out-of-jail-freeness of it.

Feels like a time warp in here. The AR starts whine fest got old 10 years ago. Solution: equip pistol and win. A decade of complaining about the same thing - Halo has lots of different flavors. Some people prefer one way or the other - some like both. The MLG proz mindset of my way or the highway needs to die forever.

You are clueless.

Naked Lunch

Feels like a time warp in here. The AR starts whine fest got old 10 years ago. Solution: equip pistol and win. A decade of complaining about the same thing - Halo has lots of different flavors. Some people prefer one way or the other - some like both. The MLG proz mindset of my way or the highway needs to die forever.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Gotta love pros who don't know how to play the game unless they start with their favorite weapon.

Pistol in 5 is umderpowered, imo. Especially when against someone close enough to just spray and pray with the AR.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Don't worry. A new sprint argument should pop up any minute now.

JackHerer

Pistol in 5 is umderpowered, imo. Especially when against someone close enough to just spray and pray with the AR.

I actually love the pistol in a certain way. No doubt it is beaten by the AR in mid-range but in closer fights the pistol rules. I believe it has the fastest time to kill of all the precision weapons? Can't say for sure. You have it hit every single shot in succession but it can kill quite fast if you do.

I enjoy using it.

Yeah, I like the thruster because it allows for more creativity.

I miss BR starts already lol. On Truth it is just abusive. Once a team is setup it is impossible with just having your AR. If you didn't have to worry about a sword guy you could at least take things slower, but you can't. Also Orion is unplayable without BR start.

I actually love the pistol in a certain way. No doubt it is beaten by the AR in mid-range but in closer fights the pistol rules. I believe it has the fastest time to kill of all the precision weapons? Can't say for sure. You have it hit every single shot in succession but it can kill quite fast if you do.

I enjoy using it.

Oh make no mistake, I love the pistol, it's just hard to land all those shots mid to far.

Top Bottom