• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

Prophets bane hard aim lunge was like teleporting death onto someone

Why does the sword even need a smart scope / hard aim??? there is zero reason.

RBK

Banned
Is it fair to say there will be no more surveys?

Think I'm done with the beta, ready to get back into MCC honestly.

Pull it up like a shield, lose radar and speed. It's a weak ass power weapon, and I doubt that would help it much, but it's better than a longer lunge.

It just sounds so ludicrously OP...

Honestly, though, I don't think any real balancing talk about the Prophet's Bane can happen until they tone down the glare.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It just sounds so ludicrously OP...

Honestly, though, I don't think any real balancing talk about the Prophet's Bane can happen until they tone down the glare.

the sword, prophet's bane or normal, does not seem all that effective outside of really bad players. against a good team its an easy one kill then death. not exactly power weapon tier.

Ascenion

So, I've been thinking a lot about the default control scheme lately because I have too much free time, and have come up with a monstrosity of a control scheme that I think might work with this game given the importance of jumping while aiming in Halo games:

RT: Shoot
RB: Grenade
LT: Smart Scope
LB: Jump/Clamber

RS: Melee
LS: Sprint

A: Thruster Pack
B: Crouch
X: Reload/Use
Y: Switch Weapons
D-Pad: Switch Grenades

Yay or nay? Does this suggested layout make your eyes bleed or does it look okay?

Swap A and LB and I could get behind that.

I am totally a superscrub then. Been yo-yoing all over Silver division because I always play with randoms. This weekend especially since it's AR starts.

Ascenion

How about precision starts where you can choose between the DMR or BR? That's still fair right? I for one simply hate the BR. I've never been good with it, I'm done trying to be good with it. However give me a DMR and I can hold my own.

Welfare

More like, end the beta with a game that feels fresh and interesting.

More like, end the beta with a gametype that everyone always complains about at launch and is not in anyway whatsoever fun, good, or any synonym of those two words, and has nothing to do with being refreshing or interesting as every single Halo game with multiplayer has started with ARs and devolves into sprint -> AR spam -> melee.

But there is a bronze and iron rank below silver. As a silver playing against other scrubs and bronze/iron tier do I include them in my scrub tier or do I call them something else?

Bronze = I've learned how to throw grenades now, hear me roar aka super scrub and Iron= I know how to walk at least aka Super scrub 2
Gold= posers and Oynx = I'm pro at heart
Semi-Pro =I'm Godlike, I know Orge 2 and Pro=You haven't quit yet?!

I only use bumper jumper so are you guys saying that when LT= zoom it automatically goes back to being zoomed in after getting descoped? It looks like you are not even hit out of your scoped view?

op_ivy

I only use bumper jumper so are you guys saying that when LT= zoom it automatically goes back to being zoomed in after getting descoped? It looks like you are not even hit out of your scoped view?

yup. by design. so CoD kids werent frustrated by the halo descope.

op_ivy

Wow was that really an oversight? It's a default control scheme. 343i needs to stop coddling these COD players. That's a huge advantage.

not an oversight. by design. 100%.

Re' holding left trigger in default controller layout automatically re-entering smart scope after de-scope...

Josh Holmes said:
Thanks for the note.

We tried this setting and while on paper it should be equivalent, the perception amongst players was significantly worse when having to release and re-engage a trigger button to re-enter scope. FWIW, we have found that the vast majority of players (especially good players don't re-engage scope once they are de-scoped until the enemy is killed. This is because they are likely to vacillate between the two settings as a result of sustained fire and it makes their shot less predictable as a result.

For now we have settled on this difference as in sustained testing we see no functional advantage and it makes a significant difference in player perception, but we will keep looking at it and appreciate the feedback.

/Josh

yeah, it seems that way. i'll give them the benefit of the doubt though. maybe its not the advantage it would seem to be?

They gets no benefits. They messed up too many times for that luxury. Guess I'll try it out in retail then. Play some customs and see how it stacks up.

Ramirez

They gets no benefits. They messed up too many times for that luxury. Guess I'll try it out in retail then. Play some customs and see how it stacks up.

Without it, descope wouldn't be in the game, I guarantee that.

Really think that it being an advantage is vastly overblown though.

op_ivy

Without it, descope wouldn't be in the game, I guarantee that.

Really think that it being an advantage is vastly overblown though.

the mnore i play, the more i agree. i find the autos very very inconsistent. sometimes they seem to kick ass, some times they feel weak. when i heard about this setting i chalked it up as the reason why i often felt short changed in an ARvAR battle. still not sure it doesnt play a role, but i think a lot of the weapons occasional shortcomings are really latency based. also, we had the superior BR starts, which instantly made it a non-issue either way.

the mnore i play, the more i agree. i find the autos very very inconsistent. sometimes they seem to kick ass, some times they feel weak. when i heard about this setting i chalked it up as the reason why i often felt short changed in an ARvAR battle. still not sure it doesnt play a role, but i think a lot of the weapons occasional shortcomings are really latency based. also, we had the superior BR starts, which instantly made it a non-issue either way.

Yeah once BR starts people stopped complaining about AR being OP. The SMG though is so weird. It's feels OP when used against me . When I use it feels like a regular gun.

thing is, i wouldnt judge the final game, and how it matches you on local servers, based on this beta. firstly, there isnt a huge player base, and secondly (presumably) the game is trying to match quickly not necessarily for best connection. matchmaking likely has a wide "net" for trying to match games as quickly as possible with a small player base. same arguments could be made for matchmaking by skill.

i think you guys are fighting the good fight, but the way halo does its skill system, i highly doubt they'll segregate users into data centers. i'd expect it to work far better at launch, even without though. if it is a make or break, hold off till you hear impressions post launch of how matchmaking has improved.

Josh Holmes said that they pick a datacenter based on detected ping and QoS. So that tells me that something in their Matchmaking system is severely flawed when it is choosing datacenters that give you 100ms - 150+ms of latency. The final game needs that to be a primary concern. They have nearly a year, so they should have seen the feedback and be able to fix it.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/544672354568134657

Now I am off to play some H5 games in a bit before the servers go off at 3am EST.

-hadouken

Now that it's over, gotta voice once more that the beta was literally unplayable in Australia. As a fan of 343's work, I'm concerned that future interest in Halo 5 ('round these parts) has been squandered. We need some love, Stinkles - the community is vanishing before your eyes.

Welfare

Weapon starts should be different for each map, if they're smaller it should be AR for the larger maps it should be BR.

No. No. No no no no no no no, no.

No AR or bust. On all 6 maps that were in the past 2 days, AR starts were terrible and in no way fun, especially at higher ranked play.

Omni

Now that it's over, gotta voice once more that the beta was literally unplayable in Australia. As a fan of 343's work, I'm concerned that future interest in Halo 5 ('round these parts) has been squandered. We need some love, Stinkles - the community is vanishing before your eyes.

Literally unplayable? Was working for me.

No. No. No no no no no no no, no.

No AR or bust. On all 6 maps that were in the past 2 days, AR starts were terrible and in no way fun, especially at higher ranked play.
How come everyone who crusades for universal BR starts never offers a reason why other than "its terrible" if you want a BR, run to where they spawn and grab one. It's not exactly the worst thing in the world when the maps are littered with precision weapons.

op_ivy

How come everyone who crusades for universal BR starts never offers a reason why other than "its terrible" if you want a BR, run to where they spawn and grab one. It's not exactly the worst thing in the world when the maps are littered with precision weapons.

1) they arent littered with them, especially if everyone goes for them 2) a good team can hold down a map with ranged weapons while you spawn with a shitty close/mid weapon only.

Welfare

Can you explain to me how I'm supposed to even fight a team that has map control and with the BR's on the map when I have an AR? It's not a good starting weapon.

How come everyone who crusades for AR starts never offers a reason why other than "its refreshing or different" if you want an AR, run to where they spawn and grab one. It's not exactly the worst thing in the world when the maps can littered with automatic weapons.

Top Bottom