• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

Nutter

When the game drops this year, could we have the AR support crew battle it out with the BR support crew and see what happens?

What I see is people wanting to control the weapons in their favor and crapping on kids who all start with AR's, but instead when its BR start, people have to aim and use actual precision skill right off the bat with others and they suck at it... sooo BR starts suck!

Did 343i confirm this or is this conclusion by random reads of people's play through? I know they are going to address the spamming of the DMR rifle.

"Issue: When spamming the trigger with the DMR occasionally gives a higher-than-normal fire rate.
Status: This is a known issue and will be resolved for the full release of Halo 5: Guardians. Thank you for your reports and feedback."

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ng/734063aa-4a41-45f2-8e93-f97dd85e8e88/posts

So that's why I like the BR so much more.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for the first time ever, rolled in a full party (1 bronze, 1 silver, 1 gold, and me onyx II). we steam rolled virtually every match. i went 3 rounds IN A ROW double digits to 0 (2 were 14-0, just shy of my perfection). wow, what a difference compared to playing solo. i got two more days to party up and rank up, i should be a legit semi-pro. help me out gaf.

for the first time ever, rolled in a full party (1 bronze, 1 silver, 1 gold, and me onyx II). we steam rolled virtually every match. i went 3 rounds IN A ROW double digits to 0 (2 were 14-0, just shy of my perfection). wow, what a difference compared to playing solo. i got two more days to party up and rank up, i should be a legit semi-pro. help me out gaf.

Want to play? GT too much eslim

op_ivy

i find the pistol > AR, but there is a much larger margin of error. i'd like to see the pistol get a better range as a buff, thats all i think it needs to break away from the AR as a more skillful tool to start with (assuming AR/pistol starts... which i'd rather not have)

Want to play? GT too much eslim

would love to. maybe 9pm-ish PST?

i find the pistol > AR, but there is a much larger margin of error. i'd like to see the pistol get a better range as a buff, thats all i think it needs to break away from the AR as a more skillful tool to start with (assuming AR/pistol starts... which i'd rather not have)

would love to. maybe 9pm-ish PST?

you on west coast? so that would be midnight for me. sure.

op_ivy

no promises. married and kids make a Saturday night hard to plan for...

Velikost

Going back to MCC after playing Halo 5 threw me for a loop. Booting up Halo 4 and realizing there's no default thruster and no clamber made me sad. I made a Halo 5 class in Halo 4 but the thruster is so ass in that game.

The wait for November is gonna be tough

Going back to MCC after playing Halo 5 threw me for a loop Booting up Halo 4 and realizing there's no default thruster and no clamber made me sad. I made a Halo 5 class in Halo 4 but the thruster is so ass in that game.

The wait for November is gonna be tough

Seriously. And we haven't even seen anything from SP yet.

They will pull a bungie and spoil epic campaign moments (scarab fights) in a trailer and then pull a 343 and spoil the ending in a vidoc.
I still can't believe Bungie revealed the Reach Sabre mission before release. I would have shat bricks if playing that for the first time unaware of what was coming next.

I seriously hope they tone down grenades before release, fuck winning a trade and then getting killed by a last ditch frag which can kill you at 75% shield.

Also, am I missing something on melee? I never get lunges, yet my enemies always seem to act as if they have an invisible sword equipped, it's fucking bullshit.

And pegasus is a horrible map, like real bad when combined with AR starts. GL trying to get the embedded team out their position.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I seriously hope they tone down grenades before release, fuck winning a trade and then getting killed by a last ditch frag which can kill you at 75% shield.

Also, am I missing something on melee? I never get lunges, yet my enemies always seem to act as if they have an invisible sword equipped, it's fucking bullshit.

The problem with nades is they are magnetised and have proximity fuses. No matter how poorly thrown the grenade, it almost always finds a target...

Leyasu

Banned
We should start a petition.
Until MCC is working flawlessly they should extend the Halo 5 Beta.

I'm gonna miss it :(

Until they patch in a choose the datacenter on MCC, extend the beta. Then at the same time promise to implement the same system for halo 5...

But yeah, damn I'm gonna miss halo 5.

Glass

An episode of The Sprint focusing on feedback and lessons learnt from the beta would definitely help with the withdrawal symptoms.

I feel like the smart scope just doesn't add enough distance to the lunge. It doesn't seem to add more than a few extra feet.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Dat godly pistol.
14056247320_72690edb20_o.png

I stopped playing after the first week due to connections being oversea all the time for me (I live in the uk) but from what I played it was a mixed bag of awesome and questionable choices.

They have just under a year to polish this bad boy up but they really REALLY need regional server selections, I do not trust anything automatic related coming from 343i.

Septic360

Banned
I stopped playing after the first week due to connections being oversea all the time for me (I live in the uk) but from what I played it was a mixed bag of awesome and questionable choices.

They have just under a year to polish this bad boy up but they really REALLY need regional server selections, I do not trust anything automatic related coming from 343i.

Yeah the game absolutely needs to data centre support.

We shouldn't even have to ask for this.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah the game absolutely needs to data centre support.

We shouldn't even have to ask for this.

Oh it does. I just played a load of games local, then it shuts down, then it starts chucking me on US servers!!!

Terrible

@ diablohead, if its automatic, then I won't be buying the game. Their idea of server selection is abysmal.

Now I see why people like BR starts. After it went back to AR it felt kind of clunky. It was harder to precise kill people when you have 3 dudes spraying at ya.

Please 343 BR starts only

OrangeOak

I stopped playing after around one week too due to matches vs USA.
I think it was couple days after they introduced Regret and that other map.It worked decent before but it got a lot worse later on for some reason (maybe there was less and less european players over time)
Game would go from amazing to crap from game to game due to lag.
I hope it will be fixed in final code because I really liked what was there.

Tawpgun

I cant believe people admit to enjoying ar pistol starts over ar br starts. Amazes me. Truly does.

I believe it. People have been doing it since 04. When BR starts launched week 2 there was a flood of posts about how much people hated it, and how they wanted AR starts back.

Then Week 3 showed a bit more of a compromise. The BR fans were kinda annoyed they were getting mowed down by the boring ass AR, and AR fans were kinda annoyed at people still having BR's. But both parties liked it MUCH better than their respective hate for AR or BR starts.

AR/BR is a good compromise for the entire game across the board imo.

But I still stand they should just let us vote on starting loadout. Having two identical playlists with one being AR and one being BR would be silly. Voting people at higher ranks will tend to vote BR's and people at lower ranks will tend to vote AR. There will be some outliers on both ends that prefer the opposite but oh well get rekt.

Leyasu

Banned
I stopped playing after around one week too due to matches vs USA.
I think it was couple days after they introduced Regret and that other map.It worked decent before but it got a lot worse later on for some reason (maybe there was less and less european players over time)
Game would go from amazing to crap from game to game due to lag.
I hope it will be fixed in final code because I really liked what was there.

Last night of the beta, and I have yet to get a game in Europe..

"343i doing our best to ruin your experience"

@tawpgun. AR/BR is an awesome compromise.

Ramirez

Xpost

Big XBox Clip dump inc.

These 2 are just for you Madness, side note on the first clip, my pistol reticule was missing the entire game, but we were getting stomped 4v3, so it didn't really matter. Second clip was 3v2, and I missed miserably on the GP, lol. We still won though, because the kids were terrible.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/2bfd9361-eea4-4158-b3d4-3703b2891f5b

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/2e04fbf5-b51c-4672-8747-32998bf28b3b

This clip has nothing to do with me, I just saw a teammate get #rekt with the coolest GP I've ever seen.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/519e2da4-901a-468e-8661-d32a7553c42b

Have I mentioned that Hover is underrated?

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/341d55a2-3022-4290-abeb-2277ace46dd0

#bigplays
#luckyplays

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/21bc3ecc-5364-4f7c-9fdf-7d0cdef99065

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/3fc82f38-195a-4bcd-a890-a87ab5996ee3

op_ivy

thing is, i wouldnt judge the final game, and how it matches you on local servers, based on this beta. firstly, there isnt a huge player base, and secondly (presumably) the game is trying to match quickly not necessarily for best connection. matchmaking likely has a wide "net" for trying to match games as quickly as possible with a small player base. same arguments could be made for matchmaking by skill.

i think you guys are fighting the good fight, but the way halo does its skill system, i highly doubt they'll segregate users into data centers. i'd expect it to work far better at launch, even without though. if it is a make or break, hold off till you hear impressions post launch of how matchmaking has improved.

Vidpixel

So, I've been thinking a lot about the default control scheme lately because I have too much free time, and have come up with a monstrosity of a control scheme that I think might work with this game given the importance of jumping while aiming in Halo games:

RT: Shoot
RB: Grenade
LT: Smart Scope
LB: Jump/Clamber

RS: Melee
LS: Sprint

A: Thruster Pack
B: Crouch
X: Reload/Use
Y: Switch Weapons
D-Pad: Switch Grenades

Yay or nay? Does this suggested layout make your eyes bleed or does it look okay?

So, I've been thinking a lot about the default control scheme lately because I have too much free time, and have come up with a monstrosity of a control scheme that I think might work with this game given the importance of jumping while aiming in Halo games:

Yay or nay? Does this suggested layout make your eyes bleed or does it look okay?

Not as a default. I don't do bumper jumper.

Smart scope should be removed from LT or they should change the way it behaves on LT. If it stays as it is, it presents an unfair advantage and shouldn't ever be on the left trigger.

different than the prophet's bane on truth?

I haven't been able to test if the lunge ranges differ, but the principle remains the same. You can 'smart scope' the normal sword as well and you get an increased lunge, whether or not the Prophet Bane's lunge is larger I dare not say.

I quite like that. Have 343i said anything about possibility of letting players map their own controls?

Top Bottom