• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

Well, 2 things: 1, I don't know what I'm talking about, time to go to bed.

Second, them being in chronological order doesn't preclude the descriptors being imparted by other characters; after all, we're getting this info from a reporter, who would presumably be conducting interviews.

The reporter is also a former Section II contractor, who possibly had access to a lot of info on Spartan IIs.

http://www.halopedia.org/ONI#Section_Two

Section Two is the propaganda branch of ONI; they are also responsible for psychological operations[9] It handles communication between colonies to reduce the spread of rumors and information that would damage morale. It was responsible for releasing details of the SPARTAN-II program to the public to boost morale throughout UEG territory. Once information about the Spartans was released to the public, Section Two had to maintain the Spartans' near-mythical status within the military by listing those killed in action as MIA. It was believed that news of Spartan deaths would cripple the UNSC's already-flagging morale. Section Two is also responsible for broadcasting pre-recorded human carrier signals from various locations into slipspace to confuse Covenant triangulation technology, preventing them from discovering Earth.

I'm referring more to your point of interviews being the sole source of information. He likely has access to a lot of UNSC classified files, if they were indeed the ones that hired him.

They're not the sole source of information, but I could see them being a source of information quite easily. First hand sources and all that. Even though he is working for section II, he's posing as a legitimate reporter, and it sounds like he's gone through some shit in the audio log.

They're not the sole source of information, but I could see them being a source of information quite easily. First hand sources and all that. Even though he is working for section II, he's posing as a legitimate reporter, and it sounds like he's gone through some shit in the audio log.

Well, anyone who survived New Mombasa has certainly gone through some shit haha.

I wonder if maybe they'll somehow shoehorn this guy into the re-released ODST campaign in the form of new terminals to find. Obviously, there'll be the audio logs of Sadie to collect already.

Doubtful. Almost certainly going to be a straight port. I really wouldn't expect any additions/changes.

Oozer3993

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, the source of the Tumblr page makes it explicit that this is leading up to E3:

Hunt the Truth series investigates the story behind Halo 5’s Master Chief. Starring Keegan-Michael Key. A serial podcast with episodes leading up to E3.

A transcription of Episode 00, in case there hasn't been one:

When you're a war journalist, you see a lot of horrible stuff. All the stories I've done, I've seen the absolute worst of humanity. But I've also gotten to see the best. Six years ago, I saw him. The greatest, most mysterious hero of our time. Up close, in action. I witnessed first hand what he did that day and it changed everything for me. Anyone listening to this knows exactly what I'm talking about. The guy who saved us. Saved Earth. Saved mankind. Master Chief Petty Officer Spartan 117. Whom we now know as simply the Master Chief. A few months ago I was hired to do an in-depth profile on the Chief. Exclusive access, the whole thing. Since then I've gotten to talk to a lot of people who claim they know the real Master Chief. The boy, the soldier, the hero... the traitor?

See I've always known where a story was going before it started. I'd known exactly the story I've wanted to tell for years. The story all of us wanted to hear. Glossy, inspiring, the blockbuster hero biography. That's all this was supposed to be. But the truth isn't always that clean. When I pulled that first loose thread, something broke. Now everything is caving in and I find myself stuck with all these ugly questions. Questions I never intended to ask. Fabricated histories? People who aren't who they say they are?Cover ups of cover ups? That steady drumbeat of theories that used to sound insane? Now they don't seem so out there.

And these disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies. Something big is happening in deep space and I can't even corroborate a single fact about one man's life. It's clear to me now. I can't fix the pretty story. But maybe I can break the ugly one. For the first time in my career, I can honestly say I don't know the shape of where this is going. And in fact the possibilities have me lying awake at night. But I believe we all deserve to know the real story. We need to know where this leads. I know I do. So I find myself back at the beginning. Who is the Master Chief? Where does he come from? And is he keeping us safe? Join me as I hunt the truth about the Master Chief.

An interesting tidbit in there is the time. New Mombasa happened "6 years ago." Which means this recording is from 2558. Either during or right after the final events from Spartan Ops and fairly soon after the end of Halo 4.

flyshow

How do you figure?

In Batman universe almost every friend/rival of Batman can be seen as a reflection to one or more aspects of Bruce's twisted characteristics and enlarge them to extreme. And that setting certainly contributes to what becomes the depth of Batman's character building. As 343i is dedicated to making Master Chief more "human", and now these labels and characters who fit, I think that is the direction, similar to Bruce Wayne, it's going to.

Stiiiiinkles!

A person commented on the Soundcloud that they think Benjamin is the same guy as the interrogator at the beginning of H4!

Y/N?

Also, Action Sack when?

Well that's an interesting theory. I'm sure someone will come in and shoot a gaping hole in it any second, but for the moment I like it.

also yes action sack plz

guys i found something :D

When you're a war journalist, you see a lot of horriBle stuff. All the storIes I've done, I've seen the absolute worst of humanity. But I've also GoTten to sEe the best. Six yeArs ago, I saw hiM. The greatest, most mysterious hero of our time. Up close, in action. I witnessed first hand what he did that day and it changed everything for me. Anyone listening to this knows exactly what I'm talking aBout. The guy who sAved us. Saved Earth. Saved mankind. Master Chief PeTTy Officer Spartan 117. Whom we now know as simpLy thE Master Chief. A few months ago I was hired to do an in-depth profile on the Chief. Exclusive access, the whole thing. Since then I've gotten to talk to a lot of people who claim they know the real Master Chief. The Boy, the soldiEr, The hero... the trAitor?

SeE I've always known where a sTory was going before it started. I'd known exactly the story I've wanted to tell for years. THe story all of us wanted to hear. Glossy, inspiRing, the blockbustEr hEro biography. That's all this was supposed to be. But the truth isn't always that clean. When I pulled that first loose thread, something broke. Now everything is caving in and I find myself stuck with all these ugly questions. Questions I never intended to ask. Fabricated histories? People who aren't who they say they are?Cover ups of cover ups? That steady drumbeat of theories that used to sound insane? Now they don't seem so out there.

And these disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies. Something big is happening in deep space and I can't even corroborate a single fact about one man's life. It's clear to me now. I can't fix the pretty story. But maybe I can break the ugly one. For the first time in my career, I can honestly say I don't know the shape of where this is going. And in fact the possibilities have me lying awake at night. But I believe we all deserve to know the real story. We need to know where this leads. I know I do. So I find myself back at the beginning. Who is the Master Chief? Where does he come from? And is he keeping us safe? Join me as I hunt the truth about the Master Chief.
Big team battle beta and the launch is on E three OMG YES

Stiiiiinkles!

A person commented on the Soundcloud that they think Benjamin is the same guy as the interrogator at the beginning of H4!

Well that's an interesting theory. I'm sure someone will come in and shoot a gaping hole in it any second, but for the moment I like it.

Aaaand I did it myself. Thinking about the dialog, it just doesn't fit. Especially the exchange about replacing John - doesn't really make sense in this context. Plus combined with the whole hero vs traitor thing at the middle of this ARG, the timeline seems off. The H4 prologue takes place prior to H4, seemingly a good deal before if I had to guess given that it seems to be just before the S-IV program began, while Benjamin seems to be doing this story well after Halo 4, after Chief's already been labeled a traitor.

TheOddOne

93447-Key-and-Peele-OH-SHIT-gif-sung-Ao5j.gif

I posted this in HaloGAF thread but ...

Could Master Chief actually be getting shot at? It took me a while to get the picture because each frame was a bitch to get (I'm on my phone.. That's why.) but it looks like from the flash of the scope of the sniper rifle.

8A97EC4D-1693-42F7-96C7-A80B0DF043EE.png

B26EBFCC-7142-48EC-86F7-1EFBDDC877BE.png

97C33963-2B7B-4B5A-8E37-D91DBB54F01C.png
E.T is in this? sweet.

Aaaand I did it myself. Thinking about the dialog, it just doesn't fit. Especially the exchange about replacing John - doesn't really make sense in this context. Plus combined with the whole hero vs traitor thing at the middle of this ARG, the timeline seems off. The H4 prologue takes place prior to H4, seemingly a good deal before if I had to guess given that it seems to be just before the S-IV program began, while Benjamin seems to be doing this story well after Halo 4, after Chief's already been labeled a traitor.
The research of Giraud was going on for a few months and the events of H4 nearly span a few days, so it could fit in the timeline.

So just the bullet video, nothing else was shown?
It's all about the audio play. Guess it could be interesting since they lead to E³. And we know now that John is on his own because he got labelled as a traitor

The research of Giraud was going on for a few months and the events of H4 nearly span a few days, so it could fit in the timeline

If the interrogation took place around when it seems, that's still potentially years before Halo 4 though, and the setting of the ARG is likely a good while after he went AWOL. It would be a pretty huge stretch for it to work out and it would seem a little wonky no matter what. Besides though, the dialog (and tone) just doesn't make any sense in the context anyway.

Do we have a definite time for when that interrogation took place? It definitely happens before Spartan Ops, but it's quite possible that it happens during the events of Halo 4. Those types of questions and the severity of them seem like a good course of consequence for after it was discovered that Master Chief and Cortana were alive and on Requiem. While they were MIA, a lot occurred during the course of Ghosts of Onyx and the Kilo-Five trilogy, so it's definitely possible that the interrogation occurred a lot closer to and/or during and/or after the events of Halo 4, but also within the window before Spartan Ops. Halsey isn't told MC is alive until during the Spartan Ops campaign anyway so it could fit, maybe. Maybe not.

I think it's entirely possible they perhaps injected the interrogator, with the plan for him to be Locke, without having an actor cast yet, as theorized above. For that to be Locke, then the interrogation would have to be taking place closer to and/or during Halo 4 because why would ONI send a hunter class Spartan to do this kind of preliminary work over MC if he was still believed to be MIA? If the interrogator isn't Locke or a stand-in for Locke, I find it more likely that it may be more earlier in the time-line.

Could the interrogator be the reporter? Maybe. Halsey clearly doesn't recognize the man, nor can she put a finger on who he is working for. So maybe. Hard to rule out, but also hard to evidence.

As small of a detail as that was in the Halo 4 campaign, it's one of the things I've wanted to know the most haha.

If the interrogation took place around when it seems, that's still potentially years before Halo 4 though, and the setting of the ARG is likely a good while after he went AWOL. It would be a pretty huge stretch for it to work out and it would seem a little wonky no matter what. Besides though, the dialog (and tone) just doesn't make any sense in the context anyway.

Plus, the reporter doesn't seem to be privy to a lot of information. The interrogator seems to have the upper hand on Halsey and is asking questions that he already either has answers to or has an agenda in asking, but the reporter is full of questions and has very little answers and seemingly a more wider scope in finding those. Plus his comments about unconfirmed anomalies in space doesn't seem like an issue a top-grade ONI-sanctioned Spartan would have.

I posted this in HaloGAF thread but ...

Could Master Chief actually be getting shot at? It took me a while to get the picture because each frame was a bitch to get (I'm on my phone.. That's why.) but it looks like from the flash of the scope of the sniper rifle.

8A97EC4D-1693-42F7-96C7-A80B0DF043EE.png

B26EBFCC-7142-48EC-86F7-1EFBDDC877BE.png

97C33963-2B7B-4B5A-8E37-D91DBB54F01C.png

I also noticed Chief was being shot at based on the fact that the bullet hit Chief's helmet in the face.

It looks like the Marathon symbol to me more than anything

I also noticed Chief was being shot at based on the fact that the bullet hit Chief's helmet in the face.

Did you catch the bit where the bullet was actually hitting the Master Chief's helmet? I don't think he was wearing it at the time though, so he was probably off showing his face to some nerds somewhere.

Made this fast from the bullet video.

Cheers! That's very useful. Always do love a visual.

LordOfChaos

Maybe we've been looking at it all wrong, guys. Maybe it's not Hun the Truth like Atilla, maybe it's part of a spoken sentence. One spoken between Locke and John, arms entwined, looking up at the crescent of the Halo ring. "Hun, the truth is..."

Glass

I loved 4's score, but damn if it isn't great to hear the monks back in that teaser. That alone has me hyped. These weeks are going to go slow aren't they.

I think I'm unhappy with the Master Chief being taken in a traitorous direction, 343i's style of storytelling is very negative and directly contrasts the original trilogy's straight forward plotlines. I've heard they're attempting to target more mature audiences, yet characters such as Palmer and Del Rio contradict with this idea entirely.

I think I'm unhappy with the Master Chief being taken in a traitorous direction, 343i's style of storytelling is very negative and directly contrasts the original trilogy's straight forward plotlines. I've heard they're attempting to target more mature audiences, yet characters such as Palmer and Del Rio contradict with this idea entirely.

you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian - Harvey Dent

link1201

Concerning the bolded: I don't mind this idea really. I mean one man's traitor is another's hero. I do hope they keep MC above the fray though. (This is to say I hope they don’t drag Him and his character through the mud just to make him more human)

In which case the series should have ended with Halo 3, I don't like the idea of the Master Chief as a villain, and I don't really think it makes sense given the Halo universe given everything he has done.

Him turning traitor doesn't make him a villain, tho. Considering how ONI's been acting lately, it could make him even more of a hero.

Top Bottom