• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

The banshee is so OP its not even funny. How this has never been addressed is mind boggling. But thats just another gripe i have with 343 to add to the list. You never know if they're working on balance or not, they dont say shit to anyone. Its like a big constant guessing game with them. Then they wonder why they get the hate. The most basic of shit and they dont do it.

The banshee should never be allowed to do 10 thousand flips in a row without a fucking cool-down. Its common sense. Ive said this ages ago and what did they do? Nothing.

Yep. It's infuriating to see. I play solo mainly, so some games, no one is shooting at them, which wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't twirling all over the place while I'm going at em.

wow servers are complete trash today or maybe it's because i play from yurop

It's been iffy the past few days in general. It was minor at first, but seems worst as of now. I'm in NA.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I just don't know why the moved away from the 2/3 system, it was perfect

Well, I appreciated you could actually damage vehicles with traditional weapons instead of being screwed without a power weapon, another vehicle, or a plasma pistol, but yeah, I dunno. I've never seen any explanation for it from the Reach design team and I feel like it stuck around out of inertia in 343's games rather than a concrete philosophy. At least in WZ it makes more sense to avoid people steamrolling with a single vehicle, but then again if they're good enough they have the REQ energy to keep calling them in one after another.

Karl2177

Removal of the Banshee bomb is ano option, but in the context of other vehicles, especially in Warzone, I feel like it needs the oomph. But the ability to do the constant flip and bomb is aggravating and so easy to fix by tying everything to the boost gauge. Something as minor as that, preventing the bomb/flip/splatter/run tactic, would make a huge difference.

(The shield on the Banshee and Wasp don't really make much of a difference. They mostly just protect you from a few DMR shots, but don't do anything about concentrated fire.)
Base banshee that appears on normal BTB maps and stuff lacks a bomb. Upgraded "REQ" banshee that you can call in during a Warzone game has a bomb.

I've said it before and I'll probably never have to stop saying it, but when you stop putting OHK shit on vehicles, it vastly improves.

Cranster

Banned
Yeah I just don't know why the moved away from the 2/3 system, it was perfect
No it wasn't. Vehicle health being linked to player health was unbalanced and at times overpowered as you did not really sand a chance against vehicles without an anti-vehicle weapon. The banshee is a great example of that, you could take infinite vehicle damage aslong as you didn't reach zero percent player health. The problem with Halo 5 is that some vehicles are a little to fragile and the spartan abilities and powerful basic weapons make it a bit redundant at times.

The solution is to make maps larger so vehicles can maneuver, up the vehicle health a bit (maybe let them recover a small bit if they don't take damage for awhile and also include a vehicle health indicator like Halo 1. As for the Banshee bomb, I'd keep it, maybe they can balance it a bit though by removing it's vehicle shield for 4 seconds or so whenever the Banshee bomb is used. That way it makes the Banshee pilot a bit more vulnerable and players consider making more use of it's plasma cannons instead of the fuel rod bomb.

wwm0nkey

No it wasn't. Vehicle health being linked to player health was unbalanced and at times overpowered as you did not really sand a chance against vehicles without an anti-vehicle weapon. The banshee is a great example of that, you could take infinite vehicle damage aslong as you didn't reach zero percent player health. The problem with Halo 5 is that some vehicles are a little to fragile and the spartan abilities and powerful basic weapons make it a bit redundant at times.

The solution is to make maps larger so vehicles can maneuver, up the vehicle health a bit (maybe let them recover a small bit if they don't take damage for awhile and also include a vehicle health indicator like Halo 1. As for the Banshee bomb, I'd keep it, maybe they can balance it a bit though by removing it's vehicle shield for 4 seconds or so whenever the Banshee bomb is used. That way it makes the Banshee pilot a bit more vulnerable and players consider making more use of it's plasma cannons instead of the fuel rod bomb.
I'll agree with your solution, I would really like them to recover over time

Trup1aya

Base banshee that appears on normal BTB maps and stuff lacks a bomb. Upgraded "REQ" banshee that you can call in during a Warzone game has a bomb.

I've said it before and I'll probably never have to stop saying it, but when you stop putting OHK shit on vehicles, it vastly improves.

Coulda sworn all banshees have bombs

Trup1aya

Yeah, which isn't a bad one. The REQ system offers a lot more balancing flexibility than previous games without ruining consistency between various game modes.

I've said it before, but I wish they approached the entire sandbox with the idea that the basic variants of all vehicles and weapons were fine tuned for 1:1 power:difficulty ratio making them suitable for ranked/competitive play. Then all of your req variants could bend those rules for social & Warzone.

Spasm

Banshee bomb is fine. The only thing the Banshee needs is an acrobatics cool-down. Say, 3 seconds between each stupid-ass maneuver, and only enough juice for 3 in a row before a 20 second cool-down. I really like how Titanfall 2 handles dash cool-downs... Two dash slots, but the second one doesn't even start to replenish until the first one is full.

I would also be happy with removing acrobatics altogether. Such a stupid addition. CE Banshee is best Banshee. No acrobatics, can hover, bomb is alternate fire instead of switching weapons... Sigh.

Edit: Just make acrobatics use a chunk of boost juice. Problem solved.

Masterz1337

Neo Member

I don't really agree. In H2 there were problems, but as much as I dislike h3 they had the right idea with them. The vehicles were highly vulnerable to power weapons, could be EMPed, flipped over easily with grenades, power drawn, sniped out of, countered with another vehicle.. etc.

Reach just decided at segment the health on them like they did the players... and for some reason that system was kept for h4 and h5, despite deciding to remove it from the player.

The banshee is so OP its not even funny. How this has never been addressed is mind boggling. But thats just another gripe i have with 343 to add to the list. You never know if they're working on balance or not, they dont say shit to anyone. Its like a big constant guessing game with them. Then they wonder why they get the hate. The most basic of shit and they dont do it.

The banshee should never be allowed to do 10 thousand flips in a row without a fucking cool-down. Its common sense. Ive said this ages ago and what did they do? Nothing.
Yep. It's infuriating to see. I play solo mainly, so some games, no one is shooting at them, which wouldn't be a big deal if they weren't twirling all over the place while I'm going at em.
Yep. I can still remember one of my early warzone games and I got matched up against some 343 employees. They spent the whole game in banshees and decimated the side I was on. I too was playing solo, which made it even more frustrating. 343 easily knew then how OP it was and it looks like they're still okay with it today, roughly a year later.
Banshee bomb is fine. The only thing the Banshee needs is an acrobatics cool-down. Say, 3 seconds between each stupid-ass maneuver, and only enough juice for 3 in a row before a 20 second cool-down. I really like how Titanfall 2 handles dash cool-downs... Two dash slots, but the second one doesn't even start to replenish until the first one is full.

I would also be happy with removing acrobatics altogether. Such a stupid addition. CE Banshee is best Banshee. No acrobatics, can hover, bomb is alternate fire instead of switching weapons... Sigh.

Edit: Just make acrobatics use a chunk of boost juice. Problem solved.
It would definitely help, but I don't know if it would fix the problem entirely.

Fuchsdh

Yep. I can still remember one of my early warzone games and I got matched up against some 343 employees. They spent the whole game in banshees and decimated the side I was on. I too was playing solo, which made it even more frustrating. 343 easily knew then how OP it was and it looks like they're still okay with it today, roughly a year later.

Does not compute :p

Trup1aya

Y'all see this survey for breakout?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ske7ch/status/860530394503856128

I never liked playing Breakout 1.0 but I did like watching it at a high level

Arena Breakout was fun for a weekend, then the cracks started to show

Breakout 2.0 has good theory behind it, but is a victim of a poorly balanced sandbox. Since H5 doesn't have a CE style utility weapon (difficult to use, extremely lethal), they threw in a shotgun so that people could have a chance to handle 1vX situations. Problem is, the gun requires no skill.

Extermination is pure unadulterated fun

Y'all see this survey for breakout?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ske7ch/status/860530394503856128

I never liked playing Breakout 1.0 but I did like watching it at a high level

Arena Breakout was fun for a weekend, then the cracks started to show

Breakout 2.0 has good theory behind it, but is a victim of a poorly balanced sandbox. Since H5 doesn't have a CE style utility weapon (difficult to use, extremely lethal), they threw in a shotgun so that people could have a chance to handle 1vX situations. Problem is, the gun requires no skill.

Extermination is pure unadulterated fun

I liked Breakout, i just hated the maps.

To me, 90% of halo5 mp problems are map related.

Trup1aya

I liked Breakout, i just hated the maps.

To me, 90% of halo5 mp problems are map related.

I actually liked the og breakout maps. They felt most like og halo maps. I just hated how little opportunity their was too outplay. It was really about breakout strats, and w/o a TO4 it was impossible gel with teammates.

I think most of H5s launch maps are good- as good as they can be with Sprint influencing design. I'd say most of H5s issues are sandbox and controls related.

I actually liked the og breakout maps. They felt most like og halo maps. I just hated how little opportunity their was too outplay. It was really about breakout strats, and w/o a TO4 it was impossible gel with teammates.

I think most of H5s launch maps are good- as good as they can be with Sprint influencing design. I'd say most of H5s issues are sandbox and controls related.

Well by maps, i mean forge. Theres too much of it and its ugly. If i wanted to play maps that looked like they came from a lego game, id play lego batman. Forge is way to overused in this game and it absolutely hurt it.

Id rather have less but high quality designed maps, rather than a game filled with forge like 5 is. Big turn off.

Trup1aya

Well by maps, i mean forge. Theres too much of it and its ugly. If i wanted to play maps that looked like they came from a lego game, id play lego batman. Forge is way to overused in this game and it absolutely hurt it.

Oh yeah i can't argue there.

Forge is amazingly powerful... But the game is way to heavily reliant on it... so many playlists rely exclusively on it. to make matters worse, it takes forever for actual good forge maps to make it into the game

Oh yeah i can't argue there.

Forge is amazingly powerful... But the game is way to heavily reliant on it... so many playlists rely exclusively on it. to make matters worse, it takes forever for actual good forge maps to make it into the game

Agreed. I actually know people who stopped playing because of the amount of Forge maps. No joke.

Forge should be dedicated to one playlist at most (a forge dedicated playlist where you could play the best of forge) and custom games. Thats it. But that shit is everywhere and it just honestly makes the game look bad. I dont know what they were thinking.

I know how you feel. I don't like halo 5s gameplay in comparison to past games, but I still think it's some of the best today. My favorite moments are pure pistol battles or me having to outthink the other guy in a 1v1. I've been pretty sick of the lag too. I'll jump down a platform and start shooting a guy, then next thing I know I'm up on the platform again. If not that, then the other player is teleporting around. Never had that this badly.

Also sick of wasps in BTB and banshees need a damn cooldown on the flip. Still one of my favorite multiplayer games at the moment. When things are good, they're great. I've just never had a game where I could be so proficient in one game, then so bad in another. I feel like I can never get a grasp on the aim because I'm either landing headshots like mad or struggling to hit.

Yeah for sure. I feel like I'm getting the heavy aim bug a lot too. The aiming never feels right. Also, I'm noticing lag is less visually apparent in this game, but is still very noticeable. People eat shots so much. At least that's like classic Halo lol. The problem is lag in this game is infuriating because of your enemy's agile abilities and high TTK. It's a recipe for frustration.

I agree it's still one of the better MP out there, but this game just triggers my nerd competitive rage. I'm always struggling to keep my cool.

I play CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Gears 4, and even Rocket League. Those games don't piss me off. I might get frustrated with teammates, but that's not the game itself.

I truly think a faster TTK would benefit the gameplay style 343 has introduced. A lot of these issues were way less apparent in the CE Anniversary playlist.

Trup1aya

Agreed. I actually know people who stopped playing because of the amount of Forge maps. No joke.

Forge should be dedicated to one playlist at most (a forge dedicated playlist where you could play the best of forge) and custom games. Thats it. But that shit is everywhere and it just honestly makes the game look bad. I dont know what they were thinking.

I'd be cool with popular forge maps being rotated in and out of the main playlists, but have favorites like BTB and team skirmish be exclusively forge is bad form.

I'd be cool with popular forge maps being rotated in and out of the main playlists, but have favorites like BTB and team skirmish be exclusively forge is bad form.

yeah rip BTB. My favorite halo gametype killed by 343. Damn shame.

Let me put it to you this way, if its not good enough to be in a Halo tournament, then it shouldn't be in most playlists. For me, the less forge the better.

Hell, they could have put warzone maps in BTB but nope, more forge guys! This is why i dont trust them anymore. I dont like these decisions they make.

Id rather have less but high quality designed maps, rather than a game filled with forge like 5 is. Big turn off.

There are too many bad forge maps. Aesthetics on multiplayer maps are a secondary concern, since you're playing a game, not looking at a painting, but even 343i seems oblivious to this point.

The real issue is that 343i barely cares about sustainment and has goofy priorities even when they actually do something, so we get "wacky" shit instead of decent maps in standard game modes.

CE Banshee is my favorite. From the sounds it makes to the surprisingly good mobility it has, the CE Banshee feels balanced. It has its own health and can't do 500 flips per minute while shooting 756 Banshee bombs.

And on the mention of the CE Anniversary playlist, where the heck is that classic playlist we were promised with CE and H2 gametypes mixed together?

Madness

Breakout was such a waste. They spent time going to paintball fields, developing CGI trailers, all that time animating intros. And barely anyone played it. Pros hated it so much they even almost accused Josh Holmes of flat out lying saying pros wanted to keep it in HCS. Plus sometimes you would even have things like lag kill you before you even launched into the arena. It would be fun if some fans created Breakout as something through forge, but they should have spent the time and resources on BTB in my opinion. Or even for more Arena maps.

Trup1aya

yeah rip BTB. My favorite halo gametype killed by 343. Damn shame.

Let me put it to you this way, if its not good enough to be in a Halo tournament, then it shouldn't be in most playlists. For me, the less forge the better.

Hell, they could have put warzone maps in BTB but nope, more forge guys! This is why i dont trust them anymore. I dont like these decisions they make.

There are actually ALOT of tournament viable 4v4 forge maps... much better than maps like stasis or tyrant or any of the DLC maps 343 has given us.

The same goes for some BTB maps in existance.

343 is just REALLY slow to put the good content in. Which makes the lack of dev content and the low quality of DLC dev content hurt even more,

There are too many bad forge maps. Aesthetics on multiplayer maps are a secondary concern, since you're playing a game, not looking at a painting, but even 343i seems oblivious to this point.

The real issue is that 343i barely cares about sustainment and has goofy priorities even when they actually do something, so we get "wacky" shit instead of decent maps in standard game modes.

I dont agree about the visuals. I think the visuals of a map absolutely help it just as much as the way it plays does. An ugly map that plays amazing will still turn people off. If visuals didn't matter, there wouldn't be a need for Scorpio. Yet here it is. Visuals matter.

Theres one forge map in BTB (i forget the name) its all greenish with these ugly ass rock textures everywhere. And i mean everywhere. The textures standout so much that the whole time youre on the map, you just think of how weird and ugly everything looks. This map has been in BTB for what seems like forever. This should never make main playlists or stay on there for as long as it has.

I agree about the wacky shit, i really dont want too much of that.

Trup1aya

I can't wait to get this helmet so I can take a long break.

I'm tired of these servers... I'm head shotting people, but I still have to strafe for an extra half second before the game registers the kill, otherwise I end up trading.

It's either that, or a teammate gets the kill and I get the assist, even though I got 8 hitmarkers.

Then I'll get a good server and I feel like a god for one game.

you're a camper!

No, my strafe is just unparalleled

There are good forge maps out there, but you never see them because reasons. I really hope 343 places an emphasis on having a large selection of quality non-forge maps for Halo 6 release - btb and 4v4 based, slayer and objective. Stop with the weird spin off playlists like breakout and focus on what halo is known for. Go out of the way to have the largest number of maps at launch for a halo game. That would be something people would rally behind.
There are actually ALOT of tournament viable 4v4 forge maps... much better than maps like stasis or tyrant or any of the DLC maps 343 has given us.

The same goes for some BTB maps in existance.

343 is just REALLY slow to put the good content in. Which makes the lack of dev content and the low quality of DLC dev content hurt even more,
Yep. I wouldn't even say slow; they just don't use them.

Trup1aya

There are good forge maps out there, but you never see them because reasons. I really hope 343 places an emphasis on having a large selection of quality non-forge maps for Halo 6 release - btb and 4v4 based, slayer and objective. Stop with the weird spin off playlists like breakout and focus on what halo is known for. Go out of the way to have the largest number of maps at launch for a halo game. That would be something people would rally behind.

Yep. I wouldn't even say slow; they just don't use them.

True

Juan

CE Banshee is my favorite. From the sounds it makes to the surprisingly good mobility it has, the CE Banshee feels balanced. It has its own health and can't do 500 flips per minute while shooting 756 Banshee bombs.

And on the mention of the CE Anniversary playlist, where the heck is that classic playlist we were promised with CE and H2 gametypes mixed together?

Seems like it's coming in a few weeks: https://twitter.com/ske7ch/status/860525794199613441

Breakout was such a waste. They spent time going to paintball fields, developing CGI trailers, all that time animating intros. And barely anyone played it. Pros hated it so much they even almost accused Josh Holmes of flat out lying saying pros wanted to keep it in HCS. Plus sometimes you would even have things like lag kill you before you even launched into the arena. It would be fun if some fans created Breakout as something through forge, but they should have spent the time and resources on BTB in my opinion. Or even for more Arena maps.

Remember Walshy saying in a sprint episode that Breakout seemed like a thing they would only play with friends for a weekend?

Welp. Lol

Yo this could be so freaking cool! I need this.

Is it keeping spartan abilities?

Pretty cool Sanctuary remake with Pit aesthetics. I think the 4v4 forge output has been kind of disappointing. There's not a whole lot of maps that kill the aesthetics like Elixir. Sometimes maps look nice but are off mechanically or vice versa.

After testing this out it's definitely my favorite Sanctuary remake, scaled for Halo 5, weapon placements make sense and it looks nice. I'd love to see it in core playlists like White Cell.

FyreWulff

The Banshee needs to have it's tricks on cooldown and needs to have the thing back from Halo 3 where it couldn't aim below a certain angle

Gwyn

Not sure if heavy aim,laggy servers or my elite controller right stick broke but aiming seems way off

I really like that new rewind ability+teleportation

Top Bottom