• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

wwm0nkey

Reach was bad due to bloom, armor lock, loadouts and maps lifted/reused from campaign. But god damn were there some fun custom games unlike Halo 4 so that puts it just over Halo 4 for me

Karl2177

7 years later this myth still goin'

Partially related: I still wonder where the original Cage would have been in campaign. Was it a campaign mission that was cut? Was it in a mission that still exists, but that portion of the mission was cut? Is it still in campaign somewhere?

TCKaos

Partially related: I still wonder where the original Cage would have been in campaign. Was it a campaign mission that was cut? Was it in a mission that still exists, but that portion of the mission was cut? Is it still in campaign somewhere?

Probably during that bit with the Bullfrogs.

FyreWulff

I dunno about The Cage but the pieces of Lockout were meant for a forge Lockout remake next to the waterfall in Forge World, according to Shishka.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Rumor is Ninja is retiring from Halo and moving on to greener competitive pastures.

Sad but his heart hasn't been in it for quite a while and he has been greatly surpassed by his peers as a result. Hope to see him return for halo 6.

Trup1aya

Yeah, he should have done it a long time ago. ESL is making a mockery out of Halo esports.

It's not even just ESL, design decisions, terrible deals with TOs, and self imposed technical limitations have been taking a toll on halo esports since Reach. H5 is really fun to watch, but the potential of the league held back in uneccisary ways.

Sad but his heart hasn't been in it for quite a while and he has been greatly surpassed by his peers as a result. Hope to see him return for halo 6.

He, like a lot of pros, seem to be playing out of habit lately. It was also sad to see Snakebite, Snipedown, and pistola all say they wish they wouldn't switched to COD yesterday.

I think Ninja was still playing at really high level in H5. It's pretty crazy that he did so well considering he played H1Z1 and PUB competitively at the same time. I think H6 will have to be an amazing PC game for him to come back.

FyreWulff

I refuse to believe sword base was designed as a MP map first.

it's basically Boarding Action but smaller

Boneyard is the only map that started as a campaign space and was converted to MP later, to make up for another MP map that got cut late in development.

wwm0nkey

it's basically Boarding Action but smaller

Boneyard is the only map that started as a campaign space and was converted to MP later, to make up for another MP map that got cut late in development.

Oddly enough Invasion maps I didn't mind, but most of the MP maps that came with the base game just felt....meh.

imo Halo 2 still had the top tier maps (minus Backwash) but I would also say Halo Reach and 4 were pretty close to each other for bottom tier, even then though Halo 5 goes to the bottom in visual design alone sadly even though the play ability is pretty good.

FyreWulff

Halo 2 is still funny to me because maps like Containment and Headlong couldn't have the intended banshee sandbox (with half the map built around the banshees) because of a hole in it's skybox

Foundation was barely used due to map escapes

wwm0nkey

I enjoyed H2 mp and H5 arena mp over the rest. shoot me.

h2 before the modding and insta spawn in air and all that dumb stuff.

The only fun time I had joining a modded game was when someone modded Containment so you could fly on the Specter turrets and he was actually playing along with everyone else lol

Halo 2 and Halo 5 4v4 is Halo multiplayer at it's best for both old and new. Halo 3 and 4 are examples of bad classic and bad new Halo respectively. Though I'll take Halo 3 over 4 and Reach.

Lol, this is nonsense.

Are Battlefield 1 or CoD WW2 spinoffs?

Oh please. Battlefield games dont even have a god damn a story and COD pretty much do whatever they want at each release. They've basically gotten the fans used to being able to do something different every time with COD and BF. Halo has not which is why people get their panties up in a bunch when it doesn't play exactly the same every time.

Reach was Bungies way of doing something different since they didn't want (or couldn't) take on the chief story-line as their last hurrah. And im totally ok with that when its not the CHIEF. Hence, a side story. When Chief is involved and its a numbered sequel, there are higher expectations.

Sai

Though I'll take Halo 3 over 4 and Reach.
:/ I much preferred the way Reach played(without any of the armor abilities except sprint)—was perfectly fine with bloom, and especially appreciated the return of health packs.

It's selection of maps kinda sucked is all.

Still hard to go back to it due to that TAA/motion blur that I can't really stand.

IHaveIce

Banned
Reach was not supposed to play like the other Halos. It was a spinoff game. If they cant do different things (or take creative liberties) on non main Halo games, then when can they? To me the worst halo MP was 4 just because it WAS a main Halo game and they treated it like a spinoff, MP wise.

Reach was a mainrelease and on the schedule of their normal Halo series. ODST is more of a spinoff or Halo Wars.

And even if not I still would count Halo Reach because only the story would be a SpinOff no reason to fuck up the multiplayer especially when it was not TOO far from being Haloish.

if it would have been a third person shooter, tactical shooter or something it would be different

Trup1aya

Reach is as much of a mainline title as Halo 4 is.

In fact H4 is the more radical departure from a gameplay perspective.

I see odst, halo wars, and the mobile games as spinoffs. Reach and the numbered titles are mainline.

JlNX

Imagine a game set during the Flood-Forerunner war, ending with the firing of the Halos.

Well they have got three incredible books in the forerunner saga, they are certainly not going to be able to write anything better than Greg Bear. So they might as well use it as the bases of a spin off, you could do a really cool RPG with the Forerunners in terms of mechanics and progression. A whole ancient human story line would be cool.

I love how people are waving their hand at Reach's map selection. It's a huge component of Halo and Reach had by far the worst 4v4 map selection in the series. Including the DLC, Powerhouse, Countdown and Condemed were the only decent maps.

I love how people are waving their hand at Reach's map selection. It's a huge component of Halo and Reach had by far the worst 4v4 map selection in the series. Including the DLC, Powerhouse, Countdown and Condemed were the only decent maps.

tom-pantsonfire.gif

I'm silver 6 now and working my way to gold. I am approving and going positive most games. I need a team though. There have been a couple of games where myself and another will do decent and then another guy goes 4 and 12 or something.

jem0208

Oh please. Battlefield games dont even have a god damn a story and COD pretty much do whatever they want at each release. They've basically gotten the fans used to being able to do something different every time with COD and BF. Halo has not which is why people get their panties up in a bunch when it doesn't play exactly the same every time.

Reach was Bungies way of doing something different since they didn't want (or couldn't) take on the chief story-line as their last hurrah. And im totally ok with that when its not the CHIEF. Hence, a side story. When Chief is involved and its a numbered sequel, there are higher expectations.

Lol, whatever you say.

On the discussion of mainline Halo games vs spinoffs, can't a mainline game also be a spinoff?

Regardless, whether or not you consider Reach a spinoff, it is still a mainline Halo game.

Sure for 4v4 it was limited but these maps in other modes were *in Sarge's voice - pretty good:
-Breakpoint
-Boneyard
-Highlands
-Ridgeline

These were good for 4v4:
-Boardwalk (ctf/assault)
-Anchor 9 was alright for slayer and a little ctf
-Tempest (ctf/assault)

Firefight special mentions:
-Installation 04 and Beachhead were the hot shit

He, like a lot of pros, seem to be playing out of habit lately. It was also sad to see Snakebite, Snipedown, and pistola all say they wish they would have switched to COD yesterday.
Well CoD is still CoD. It is so weird that halo has to try and be something different with every new game. 343 could have literally done a spiritual successor to either halo 1 2 or 3, with no changes to anything but graphics, and people would have been happy. But the game always has to be "different". I can play almost any of the CoD games and at the very least know what to expect with respect to movement, aim, the general feel of each weapon and combat. Thats partially because ADS doesnt require a lot of tinkering, but still. With each new halo game it's like, "welp I wonder they've gone and tinkered with this time that was completely unnecessary," or, "I wonder how much they've changed the game this time." That kind of thing just doesn't go over very well with most fans.

Well CoD is still CoD. It is so weird that halo has to try and be something different with every new game. 343 could have literally done a spiritual successor to either halo 1 2 or 3, with no changes to anything but graphics, and people would have been happy. But the game always has to be "different". I can play almost any of the CoD games and at the very least know what to expect with respect to movement, aim, the general feel of each weapon and combat. Thats partially because ADS doesnt require a lot of tinkering, but still. With each new halo game it's like, "welp I wonder they've gone and tinkered with this time that was completely unnecessary," or, "I wonder how much they've changed the game this time." That kind of thing just doesn't go over very well with most fans.

My favorite argument that I've seen even on gaming side is that the first game was called "combat evolved" and therefore should evolve. Not only is that really daft logic, Microsoft forced that subtitle onto it and Bungie didn't want it. Lol

How's the multi live ran out a while ago and wondering if it's worth getting it again. BTB still meh?

Big Team Battle is only meh in this game because 343 thought it would be wise to not make any maps of their own for the mode.

Man, whenever I think of their map strategy for this game I get angry. It's just offensive. Don't want to make big maps? Fine, whatever. But then duplicating 6 of the maps with just scenery changes? Ugh.

Weren't the sight lines terrible even for 4v4?

I/parties enjoyed CTF & assault on this map. Sight lines for slayer were pretty horrible though, very lopsided games were common. The 1 sided objective games worked really well e.g. tons of games that were nail biters to the last round. It was clearly designed for objective flows.

slyfox

It's not even just ESL, design decisions, terrible deals with TOs, and self imposed technical limitations have been taking a toll on halo esports since Reach. H5 is really fun to watch, but the potential of the league held back in uneccisary ways.

He, like a lot of pros, seem to be playing out of habit lately. It was also sad to see Snakebite, Snipedown, and pistola all say they wish they wouldn't switched to COD yesterday.

I think Ninja was still playing at really high level in H5. It's pretty crazy that he did so well considering he played H1Z1 and PUB competitively at the same time. I think H6 will have to be an amazing PC game for him to come back.

LOL its easy to say that but in 2013-2014 when a lot of Halo pros tried to compete in COD most of them failed except for Formal and Enable. Cod isn't easier and the competition is harder than Halo due to the amount of players. I doubt Snakebite would leave Halo wheres hes made over a million to try and compete in COD. Same goes for the other two. I guarantee they wouldn't be making as much as they make in Halo.

Trup1aya

LOL its easy to say that but in 2013-2014 when a lot of Halo pros tried to compete in COD most of them failed except for Formal and Enable. Cod isn't easier and the competition is harder than Halo due to the amount of players. I doubt Snakebite would leave Halo wheres hes made over a million to try and compete in COD. Same goes for the other two. I guarantee they wouldn't be making as much as they make in Halo.

So they didn't find immediate success means they would never have found success? Logic checks out...

They are saying the regret not giving it more effort or sticking with. It's not neccisarily all about the prize winnings (YouTube, streams, sponsorships, etc), and you don't have to be on a top 8 team to make money in COD- a perk of being in a more popular and better run league.

Snakebites winnings are an outlier compared to the rest of HCS. The fact that one of the most accomplished players would say he regrets not switching suggest that the structural stability is attractive.

Cranster

Banned
I got this from reddit but it would be a missed opportunity if 343i didn't write this in. But Cortana needs to be in a Temple in the middle of a lake. Because since she's a megalomaniac, that's where she'd be.

Top Bottom