• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

We still have another full year of Halo 5.

Another year for
BTB pistol starts.

It's been a bloody good run of free content for H5, kudos to the studio. A truly successful implementation of REQs IMO.

On the flip side I'm curious if launch content like firefight, forge or action sack were there day one what we would have for the sustain content by now? It seems that would likely push another 6-12 months of player retention. I hope for that sort of content launch and sustain with H6.

I do genuinely look forward to H5 4K on X1X though. Bring it 343. Hope there is a little something to go along with it...

It's been a bloody good run of free content for H5, kudos to the studio. A truly successful implementation of REQs IMO.

On the flip side I'm curious if launch content like firefight, forge or action sack were there day one what we would have for the sustain content by now? It seems that would likely push another 6-12 months of player retention. I hope for that sort of content launch and sustain with H6.

I do genuinely look forward to H5 4K on X1X though. Bring it 343. Hope there is a little something to go along with it...

It'll come with Frankie's promised explanation of the MCC situation.

They could always add maps and new game-modes instead of releasing game-modes that were in the game before?

There are ways to add stuff without having to strip the game away of content. They could have easily added real BTB maps and Warzone maps. Game needed it too.

Fuchsdh

I got this from reddit but it would be a missed opportunity if 343i didn't write this in. But Cortana needs to be in a Temple in the middle of a lake. Because since she's a megalomaniac, that's where she'd be.

Be a nice touch.

It'd be nice to get something for the anniversary. New maps would be great, but also getting some more game types. I really miss Ricochet and Regicide.

Tawpgun

O D D B A L L
S W O R D B A S E

I'm surprised Bungie didn't continue the Campaign - Multiplayer map reusal in Destiny

Considering how awful most Destiny MP maps are.

Sai

Really? So they made campaign levels out of sword base and countdown, and just put powerhouse into the campaign to give it that "extra polish"?
The maps weren't ripped out of the Campaign, they were designed for multiplayer foremost then injected into the Campaign, if I remember correctly.

Still, didn't result in the most memorable maps.

Cranster

Banned
Halo: Reach was a mainline Halo game. It's a FPS entry with it's own campaign and multiplayer suite. That makes it a mainline entry.

Trup1aya

From a story perspective, it is a spin-off. From a technology perspective, it is a mainline title. I'm right. Y'all are wrong. Bow to Karl. Hashtag lock HaloGAF again. Hashtag elzar smells.

The story perspective cements it as a mainline title. It has a linear relationship with the rest of the mainline titles, feeding right into CE

In contrast Exists as a beach off of the mainline.

slyfox

Reach mp was trash. The maps are easily the worst. On top of that we had to deal with bloom, aa, nuke based, no competitive ranking system, frame rate drops on forge maps and split screen, a shittier firefight, slow movement which rewarded crouch shooting. Only thing I want from reach back is invasion and headhunter and maybe countdown.

Reach mp was trash. The maps are easily the worst. On top of that we had to deal with bloom, aa, nuke based, no competitive ranking system, frame rate drops on forge maps and split screen, a shittier firefight, slow movement which rewarded crouch shooting. Only thing I want from reach back is invasion and headhunter and maybe countdown.

Im not saying it wasnt. The entire point i was trying to make is that Im ok with them trying something different on halo games that arent direct sequels to the Chief games. Like Reach or ODST. Im less ok with that when its in halo4 or 5.

I think the side games like Halo Reach, ODST should be 343's way to experiment with new gameplay features. Not Halo 6.

Tawpgun

Im not saying it wasnt. The entire point i was trying to make is that Im ok with them trying something different on halo games that arent direct sequels to the Chief games. Like Reach or ODST. Im less ok with that when its in halo4 or 5.

I think the side games like Halo Reach, ODST should be 343's way to experiment with new gameplay features. Not Halo 6.

I'm on board.

To be honest when the first ODST/Reach gameplay was shown I was disappointed it was just slightly different Halo.

In ODST you were a weaker Spartan.
In Reach you were just a spartan with different abilities.
I was expecting you to feel more weak in ODST, I was expecting Reach to be more tactical combat that Halo.

I'm on board.

To be honest when the first ODST/Reach gameplay was shown I was disappointed it was just slightly different Halo.

In ODST you were a weaker Spartan.
In Reach you were just a spartan with different abilities.
I was expecting you to feel more weak in ODST, I was expecting Reach to be more tactical combat that Halo.

Well ODSTs open world was different but yeah, i agree. I think it was just Bungie being afraid of the backlash at that point.

giphy.gif

So weird. I did not like Reach at all, but yet I remember having a lot of fun games. I am definitely one of the weird ones that enjoyed slayer on sword base. As someone who is usually playing solo, the map was really nice for cover and avoiding team fire. For the teams that thought it was awesome to hang out in the sword lift room, it was actually quite nice to just be able to spam grenades from outside the door. Jetpack for getting away with the nub with the sword. I loved Countdown and using jetpacks, but eventually switched to sprint. One thing I will say is that Bungie was better at inserting forge maps into ranked playlists. Kingdom was so good. Anyway, I think I would take Reach over Halo 4 matchmaking. But I hated Reach's campaign and really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, which is the opposite of most people.
My favorite argument that I've seen even on gaming side is that the first game was called "combat evolved" and therefore should evolve. Not only is that really daft logic, Microsoft forced that subtitle onto it and Bungie didn't want it. Lol
Haha yep.

Fuchsdh

So weird. I did not like Reach at all, but yet I remember having a lot of fun games. I am definitely one of the weird ones that enjoyed slayer on sword base. As someone who is usually playing solo, the map was really nice for cover and avoiding team fire. For the teams that thought it was awesome to hang out in the sword lift room, it was actually quite nice to just be able to spam grenades from outside the door. Jetpack for getting away with the nub with the sword. I loved Countdown and using jetpacks, but eventually switched to sprint. One thing I will say is that Bungie was better at inserting forge maps into ranked playlists. Kingdom was so good. Anyway, I think I would take Reach over Halo 4 matchmaking. But I hated Reach's campaign and really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign, which is the opposite of most people.

Haha yep.

I've had loads of fun in all the Halo games. As much as I dislike Reach, it's no different. I mean, that's ultimately why I'm a Halo fan—even at its worst I still quite enjoy the games.

Also, just because I like being a contrary ass, it's kind of enjoyable to see all the bitching about The International in context of the complaints about Halo. This is an esports event with a $24 million and counting prize pool and.... we still get audio pop-ins and buzzing, commentary out of sync with the stream, and instead of repeating skits or play videos, there's... nothing between matches but a screensaver. Almost like it's not just like throwing money at a problem solves it.

slyfox

Reachs movement was awful. Not to mention the fall damage was bad too. Couldn't use man cannons in the game. What a joke. Could barely strafe. Due to bloom and the slow movement everyone used to crouch shoot.

Sordid

Even with bloom I preferred Reach. Squad Slayer was my jam. Shame 343 removed it and added armour lock back to a load of playlists.

Tawpgun

Even with bloom I preferred Reach. Squad Slayer was my jam. Shame 343 removed it and added armour lock back to a load of playlists.

Squad Slayer was 343's biggest betrayal

They fixed the game with the TU and then removed Squad Slayer later on.

TU Reach anniversary no bloom was a lot of fun. A lot of my Vanilla Reach enjoyment came from playing with my friends and BTB. Highlands CTF was a lot of fun. Halo 4 4v4 was more enjoyable to me because it had no bloom, movement was faster and I could spawn with BR.

In terms of Halo I don't hold either game highly in terms of mp it's just that Reach for me was the last time I had so many of my friends playing Halo hardcore daily.

wwm0nkey

TU Reach anniversary no bloom was a lot of fun. A lot of my Vanilla Reach enjoyment came from playing with my friends and BTB. Highlands CTF was a lot of fun. Halo 4 4v4 was more enjoyable to me because it had no bloom, movement was faster and I could spawn with BR.

In terms of Halo I don't hold either game highly in terms of mp it's just that Reach for me was the last time I had so many of my friends playing Halo hardcore daily.

You know, I almost forgot they did the no bloom option

jem0208

Unrelated to Halo but has anyone else got an issue where their recent babes list on the home page of the X1 isn't updating?

It's a pain in the arse...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Unrelated to Halo but has anyone else got an issue where their recent babes list on the home page of the X1 isn't updating?

It's a pain in the arse...

Babes list? I need to get a system update!

Top Bottom