• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Man, that just makes me sad. I remember hooting and hollering in a totally joyous fashion as Bonnie Ross started rattling off all the stats and specs and what we could expect.

belushy

Banned
Sandbox changes expected to drop this Fall with the 4k update for H5. Will begin talking about specifics (hopefully) next week.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/summer-sizzle

NEXT STEPS
The team is very eager to get the first pass at these tuning changes into your hands to test ASAP. The production folks are quickly working through all of the logistics details, and while dates aren't finalized just yet, suffice it to say that things will start moving very quickly. With the Fall update release deadline looming, it's imperative that we get these changes into your hands ASAP to allow adequate time for feedback, analysis, and iteration.

By next week I hope to be able to share the next level of detail and start to go into more specifics around weapons that are being tuned and what the impetus is for each change. We should also have the final details around when/where this will get rolled out and how each of you will be able to playtest and provide feedback to the team here at 343.

It's going to be a wild ride between now and the Fall, but we can't do it without you and we look forward to partnering on this unprecedented update to Halo 5!

Thinking of getting an Xbox One soon with Halo 5 and the MCC. How are the competitive online communities for both? Still vibrant and thriving?

Also is MCC worth purchasing or is the online still fucked? Insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: One more question. For someone who loved the Bungie Halos but hated Halo 4 - is Halo 5's campaign any good?

Trup1aya

Thinking of getting an Xbox One soon with Halo 5 and the MCC. How are the competitive online communities for both? Still vibrant and thriving?

Also is MCC worth purchasing or is the online still fucked? Insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: One more question. For someone who loved the Bungie Halos but hated Halo 4 - is Halo 5's campaign any good?

I don't play MCC much, but when I do it's during peak times so matchmaking seems decent.

Halo 5's key playlists are populated enough for average players. But those at the extremes are getting rough MM experiences. 343 seems to be culling playlists to make the MM system better.

Halo 5s campaign has some really fun covenant missions, but the Prometheans are just as boring to fight as ever. Vehicle sections will remind you of H4. Narrative is laughably bad.

I bought the game at launch and don't regret my purchase one bit. It's still fun even with the flaws.

I don't play MCC much, but when I do it's during peak times so matchmaking seems decent.

Halo 5's key playlists are populated enough for average players. But those at the extremes are getting rough MM experiences. 343 seems to be culling playlists to make the MM system better.

Halo 5s campaign has some really fun covenant missions, but the Prometheans are just as boring to fight as ever. Vehicle sections will remind you of H4. Narrative is laughably bad.

I bought the game at launch and don't regret my purchase one bit. It's still fun even with the flaws.

Thanks for the quick response. Interesting and super helpful. Looks like MCC is a definite purchase then whilst Halo 5 might only be worth it for the multiplayer which is pretty much what every review said back when it was released.

Didn't like Halo 4 primarily because of the Prometheans. Just not fun to fight and annihilated Halo's signature "30 seconds of fun over and over" combat loop.

Might still pick up both but mainly for the multiplayer component. Sounds like Halo 5's campaign suffers from the same flaws as Halo 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sandbox changes expected to drop this Fall with the 4k update for H5. Will begin talking about specifics (hopefully) next week.

Sounds like a lot more changes coming then I expected. Sounds like sandbox changes will once more be unified (or at least as "unified" as they were at launch)? More than just 4k improvements for 1x too?

I'm pretty hyped

If you wanna get destroyed mercilessly by the small dedicated community, then by all means play Halo 5. Lol

MCC is worth the campaigns alone. There's infinite enjoyment with them.

Halo 5's level design is actually not bad. Even if you tune out the bad writing and plot, the level design and flow can be genuinely great.

Madness

Frank was the master of writing paragraphs about literally nothing, but damn he made it sound exciting.

18b63U6.png

Trup1aya

Thanks for the quick response. Interesting and super helpful. Looks like MCC is a definite purchase then whilst Halo 5 might only be worth it for the multiplayer which is pretty much what every review said back when it was released.

Didn't like Halo 4 primarily because of the Prometheans. Just not fun to fight and annihilated Halo's signature "30 seconds of fun over and over" combat loop.

Might still pick up both but mainly for the multiplayer component. Sounds like Halo 5's campaign suffers from the same flaws as Halo 4.

Np. Level design in H5 is leagues better than H4. Prometheans are actually worse now though- teleporting bullet sponges that fire homing projectiles.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The competitive players are sweating about the return of autos, but if they truly found a way to limit redundancy and balance all class of weapon around the magnum as a utility I'll be happy to see everything return.

op_ivy

Np. Level design in H5 is leagues better than H4. Prometheans are actually worse now though- teleporting bullet sponges that fire homing projectiles.

Despite homing bullets (343, wtf) there is no way they are worse.

Trup1aya

Despite homing bullets (343, wtf) there is no way they are worse.

Hell nah...

They improved Knights a bit, but fighting Teleporting soldiers while surrounded with homing boltshot and surpressor bullets, that have little visual distinction from each other nor the light rifle rounds.... Thats 10X worse than H4.

And I haven't even touched on the Warden.

They marginally improved H4s worst enemy (the knight) but you rarely see them.

Then they made everything else worse

Just bad, bad, bad....

Edit: on second thought, sniper and charged boltshot crawlers were awful. I don't know which is worse anymore, but Prometheans are just bad.

Good update, can't wait!

But man, they really need to update waypoint. Why aren't these community updates on the first page? You go on waypoint and ithe main page looks like a Microsoft store. Make it a halo site, put the lastest stuff on the main page, don't hide it in one of the submenus.

If people who arent huge halo fans go on the site to see what's up, they'll never find these articles.

Trup1aya

Good update, can't wait!

But man, they really need to update waypoint. Why aren't these community updates on the first page? You go on waypoint and ithe main page looks like a Microsoft store. Make it a halo site, put the lastest stuff on the main page, don't hide it in one of the submenus.

If people who arent huge halo fans go on the site to see what's up, they'll never find these articles.

Last weeks community update is on the front page for me... front page is always behind for some reason.

Last weeks community update is on the front page for me... front page is always behind for some reason.

It really needs to be completely redone. The main page is horrible. It should have articles and community stuff promoted and updated quickly, not links to buy the various games. The layout is horrible. God damn, who goes on the company's website to buy a game? Seriously. Ive always hated going on waypoint, now i remember why.

wwm0nkey

I still think Bungie has a fantastic layout, I know they can't exactly copy it....but they should at least try and get away with it hahaha

I still think Bungie has a fantastic layout, I know they can't exactly copy it....but they should at least try and get away with it hahaha

I haven't been on bungie in a while but when they did halo, their layout was great. You could go on the main page and find what the latest info was right there as soon as the community update was out. It wasnt a glorified store page. The layout is so bad, i wish they would copy how Bungie had it.

just visited the website after a long time... they're hiring aye?

LEAD MISSION DESIGNER
343 is looking for an experienced Mission Designer to drive and implement all mission design in our next exciting Halo campaign. Responsibilities will focus on mission design, implementation and scripting - as well as managing a small team of mission designers. This person will work directly with the Campaign and Narrative Directors to ensure both gameplay and narrative experiences are met; as well as collaborate with other designers, writers, engineers and artists to ensure that the player experience as a whole is of the highest quality...

SERVICE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The Halo Game Services team builds cloud services that drive many aspects of the game, including in-game economies and commerce, player statistics, user generated content, matchmaking, and game content management. We follow an agile, iterative, and quality driven software development lifecycle. We value development of unit and acceptance tests as part of feature development...

CAMPAIGN ENGINEERING LEAD
As a Campaign Engineering Lead on the campaign team you will be partnering with the creative leadership to deliver an amazing campaign and story experience. You will manage and lead an engineering team to produce high quality features in an FPS halo experience. You will drive technical communication outside of your team with the Technical Director and the full engineering team...

GAMEPLAY ENGINEER
As a Gameplay Engineer on the Sandbox team, you are core to enabling artists and designers to realize their vision for weapons, vehicles, player mechanics, and more on screen. The ideal candidate will be able to drive forward our engine technology to best support the gameplay vision. You will need to be able to collaborate with creative people and be able to deliver solid performant code in a AAA game engine...

SENIOR CONCEPT ARTIST
The Senior Concept Artist is central in establishing the overall vision of the universe, working with the Art Director and Concept Lead to create imagery that will communicate the visual experience, excite the team, and help blueprint all the aspects of the game for content authoring. He/she should bring a world class understanding of composition and color, a strong ability to render exciting industrial design, and a firm grasp of the practical aspects of content creation...

SENIOR NETWORKING GENERALIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Networking Generalist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers that want to work on a triple-A franchise that will live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: In the Games as a Service world of AAA game development, our client networking developers are responsible for all game communication with our various services and serve...

SENIOR ANIMATION ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Animation Engineer to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. As a Senior Animation Engineer, you will help extend our animation feature set while supporting the development of new characters. Responsibilities: Drive the design and implementation of core animation components. Collaborate with designers, animators, and AI engineers in the development of new character functionality. Develop a...

ENVIRONMENT ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for an Environment Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo what it is today. And we need exceptional artists to help us achieve that goal. 343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated, experienced Environment Artist who is highly skilled in creating AAA quality Environment Art content for our games. The ideal candidate will have ...

FX ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for an FX Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We’re looking for someone who is highly creative and driven, willing to tackle any effect challenge that comes their way. A solid team player with strong communication skills, able to work with leads, directors, artists, engineers and designers. Someone who is self-sufficient and flexible enough to build effects from scratch without any preconceived i...

TECHNICAL ANIMATOR
343 Industries, the studio developing the legendary Halo games, is looking for experienced Technical Animators to join our talented team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. Job Description: Our ideal candidate will help bridge the gap between our animation team and animation developers with the goal of creating compelling and believable animation in our game engine. The candidate must have the skills to support large teams of artists, designers and developers and ideally have a pa...

UI ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a UI Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. As a UI Artist, you are central to defining amazing user experiences across activities and devices for one of the most exciting and creative intellectual properties in the industry. If you’re a passionate, talented and driven artist in this field, this is where you need to be! UI Artists are expected to produce exceptional 2D and some 3D graphics, menu...

CHARACTER TECHNICAL ARTIST
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Character Technical Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. A Character Technical Artist develops tools/frameworks/workflows, solves technical production issues, and creates believable deformations on characters, weapons, vehicles and props. Responsibilities: Develop character, weapon, and vehicle content and workflows in Maya and game engine. Develop tools, scripts, plugins to streamline pr...

WORKFLOW UX DESIGNER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Workflow UX Designer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. As the Workflow UX Designer, you are central to defining an amazing user experience throughout our internal & proprietary tools, engine and content creator workflows. If you’re a passionate, talented and driven UX Designer who wants to work on one of the most exciting and creative intellectual properties in the industry, this is where you need.

GRAPHICS DEVELOPER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a hot-shot campaign graphics engineer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. This engineer will partner with our campaign team to make our game environments and showcase moments spectacular. As a graphics engineer you will be responsible for writing and maintaining the systems which the environment team uses to bring their content to life in engine. The ideal candidate will love getting their hands dirt...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Campaign Generalist to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers who want to work on a triple-A franchise that will redefine the Halo experience and live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: Work closely with designers to enable rapid prototyping of new gameplay features and systems. Deliver architecture, implementation, an...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior Animation Generalist to join our team working on the next big Halo shooter experience. We are seeking talented, experienced developers who want to work on a triple-A franchise that will redefine the Halo experience and live and breathe as a service for years to come. Responsibilities: Work closely with designers to enable rapid prototyping of new Narrative and Animation features and systems. Deliver architecture, im...

ANIMATION TOOLS DEVELOPER
We are looking for an Animation Tools Developer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. Animation is a major part of the Halo experience and we at 343 Industries are looking for an experienced animation tools developer to join our team and help enhance our animation tools and pipeline to enable our artists and designers to create cutting edge games in the Halo universe...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER – PIPELINE/DCC
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience and help enhance our import, export and post-processing Digital Content Creation / game data pipeline. Transforming art and design content into optimal, game-ready formats is a key part in achieving high framerates and exciting gameplay...

DESIGN MANAGER
Reporting to the Creative Director, 343 is looking for an experienced Design Manager who has a passion for creating compelling gameplay experiences to manage our studio's Design Department. The team is comprised of the following disciplines: Systems/Sandbox Design, Character Design, Online Experiences, Narrative Design, Campaign Design, and Multiplayer Design...

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries is expanding its core systems team and is looking for an experienced developer to join us. We’re creating, supporting and maintaining the pillars of the Halo tech stack which includes systems supporting the rest of the developer team as well as some stand-alone systems....

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
343 Industries is looking for an experienced software engineer to help create our next-generation game editor to enable artists and designers to create cutting edge games in the Halo universe. We are looking for a talented and experienced programmer with the ability to help us deliver a solid, usable system to create content for a AAA game title. As a candidate, you should understand and have experience with the challenges of large, real-time application development...

SENIOR MULTIPLAYER ENGINEER
343 Industries is looking for an experienced multiplayer developer to help drive the future of Halo multiplayer. Work with the talented, passionate team behind Halo 5's extremely well-received Arena and Warzone modes to deliver new exciting, engaging, and overall top-notch multiplayer experiences. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on one of the biggest multiplayer franchises in the industry...

PRINCIPAL SDE LEAD - ANIMATION
343 Industries (Halo) is looking for an experienced animation developer to join us and lead our animation runtime, pipeline and tools efforts. Animation is a critical part of the Halo experience and this opportunity would put you at the center of the action...

ENGINE ARCHITECT
343 Industries is looking for an Engine Architect to help drive the future of the Halo tech stack. Come help us create the future of AAA engines while shipping a top-flight game experience. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on one of the biggest franchises in the industry...

LEAD SYSTEMS DEVELOPER
343 Industries is growing its core systems and technology development team and is looking for an experienced lead to join us. Help us create, support and extend our low level systems and technologies and set the bar for technology within the Halo universe...

Yep all MS studios are on a hiring spree as of today:

I know that since Halo 5 released 343 have made some big hires, including very recently they hired the lead combat designer for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Good! Halo 6 needs to be a homerun. Not perfect but every part of it needs to be excellent.

And while theyre at it, redo waypoint at the same time.

wwm0nkey

4Head

Terrified? Why?

Oh mostly just moving and cost of living stuff lol

Also want to finish my own game first since I have been working on bigger game/VR projects for work for 2 years straight and that was just a tiny bit draining on my ability to make my own thing. One day I will attempt though. Me and my fiancee have that general area on a list of places to move when we want to get out of Cincinnati and she is a 3D animator so I do send her these listings as well just to see.

Fuchsdh

id laugh my ass off if in halo 6 all of the guardians become disabled. lol

My bet is they manage to narrowly defeat one and turn the tide. I'd be disappointed if they tried to wrap up the Created arc in a single game; as much bellyaching as people do about the turn, the worst possible thing they could do in response is try to finish it up as fast as possible.

My bet is they manage to narrowly defeat one and turn the tide. I'd be disappointed if they tried to wrap up the Created arc in a single game; as much bellyaching as people do about the turn, the worst possible thing they could do in response is try to finish it up as fast as possible.

im still salty they destroyed that sphere world at the end of spartan ops... waste of amazing potential in setting for spin off games like a halo adventure/grind game.

op_ivy

It turns out the forerunner saw that so "created" could become a threat and so created a galaxy spanning superweapon that could be used to eliminate such a threat. Master chief will explore and activate it.

Fuchsdh

im still salty they destroyed that sphere world at the end of spartan ops... waste of amazing potential in setting for spin off games like a halo adventure/grind game.

Eh, there's no shortage of crazy installations to play with in the Halo universe. I mean, we have a shield world that's literally the size of a solar system. You can't throw it into a sun, you'd have to throw the suns at it.

Eh, there's no shortage of crazy installations to play with in the Halo universe. I mean, we have a shield world that's literally the size of a solar system. You can't throw it into a sun, you'd have to throw the suns at it.

im sticking to what they detailed via the games, not other sources. so i dont know about that or other installations. so to me, that's all 'new' and not introduced to the mainline halo story that is within these games.

Karl2177

[Vigorous sounds of Frankie furiously writing this down]

Oh awesome, they removed the only gametype that let me play Assault. Back to the nether with Oddball you go!

It really disappoints me how much Arena got curbed in this game. BTB got cut for Warzone, maps don't feel distinct, and objective gametypes get barely any support. I mean there are a lot of fluff playlists around like Infection, Grifball, and Action Sack (which really needs voting), like 80% of the Halo 5 experience is just variants of slayer (for those who don't care for Warzone at least)

This has been where Halo 5 has been lacking the most for me since day one and gametype variety just doesn't seem to be on 343i's agenda anymore. Just because a gametype isn't competitively optimized doesn't mean it can't make it into matchmaking, that's what made the older Halos (even 4) so fun.

I hope the sandbox update goes well and they make the game better for everyone who still enjoys it, but honestly I don't see myself getting pulled back into it. Maybe the H3:A playlist will be fun, but otherwise I think I might be out until Halo 6, depending on how that turns out.

AlStrong

2AU ? https://www.halopedia.org/Sarcophagus
Maybe the initial description was some exaggeration for effect, like how "50 times the size" turned out. :p *cough* I do vaguely recall the solar system comparison though it's been a while since I've read the book.

They should have sized the compressed version to that of the cat helmet. :p

I'm surprised at the shafting BTB got in this game. Sure it doesn't make launch but when it showed up it was all forge maps that are not that great generally and they didn't even bother updating it to pistol starts.

343 should've outsourced BTB maps if they didn't want to do them internally or better yet if they planned out the post launch support better they still could've put out maps for it. In terms of post launch support as in maps and big features 343 blew their load in 8 months.
It sucks because BTB objective in the past has been so much fun with friends.

op_ivy

I'm even fine with community forge maps. It's the constant BE spam that ruined h5 brb for me.

Of course hand crafted dev maps would be ideal.

Top Bottom