• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

If they gave us proper tools for map making, coupled with the already great game customization. We could conceivably have any Halo multiplayer we wanted, from CE-5

Juan

Can I get a rough translation?

It's not worth it, sincerely. It's only speculations about the way Microsoft is investing in Azure Cloud Services, supposed to be use for AI, and latest career opportunity @343.

It always amaze me how non-professional news websites love to write article about pretty much nothing (plus the news title is misleading like hell).

It really depends which game serves as a platform, since every Halo played very differently from each other (so much that I really don't know what game should be the basic model for all future titles) (at least, Destiny players don't have this problem, and that's a good thing).

Halo CE? Sure!

Halo 2? Hell yeah!

Halo 3? Hmm, why not, as long as you increase the base player movement speed.

Halo Reach? Same as Halo 3.

Halo 4? Ehhhhh.... (I would be okay as long as it plays with Legendary Slayer settings)

Halo 5? Hell no.

Well if it does happen it'll almost certainly be Halo 5 or similar.

Since I'm struggling a lot with the AIM in Halo 5, not loving the fact you get more magnetism but less AIM assist, and the Sprint (at least due to map design, not the feature itself) it has been the Halo title I played the less, while enjoying for some times the Warzone FF.

belushy

Banned
On mobile and too lazy to link, but Oxygen Supremacy released their Halo team that just got into Pro League.

My guess, an org bought the team out. No sure who yet. Could be Str8 Rippin or my personal hope is eUnited.

Trup1aya

It really depends which game serves as a platform, since every Halo played very differently from each other (so much that I really don't know what game should be the basic model for all future titles) (at least, Destiny players don't have this problem, and that's a good thing).

Halo CE? Sure!

Halo 2? Hell yeah!

Halo 3? Hmm, why not, as long as you increase the base player movement speed.

Halo Reach? Same as Halo 3.

Halo 4? Ehhhhh.... (I would be okay as long as it plays with Legendary Slayer settings)

Halo 5? Hell no.

The thing about Halo as a platform, is that the dev team handling it would theoretically have the freedom to tune the sandbox specifically to the will of the playerbase w/o being bound by restrictions imposed by the single player campaign.

I'd imagine it like:

Halo Online is your VS MP platform. Cost of entry is free or cheap. The service primarily funded by player customization and server rentals. Official servers would reflect the settings and sandbox of the players who use them.

Additions to the MP suite could reflect changes that spawn from the campaign, but they wouldn't have to. So for example if H6 came and added wall running (just a random example) - casual servers could be updated to support the new ability, while the HCS server would continue on without it.

The retail game would exist to continue the story

It's not worth it, sincerely. It's only speculations about the way Microsoft is investing in Azure Cloud Services, supposed to be use for AI, and latest career opportunity @343.

It always amaze me how non-professional news websites love to write article about pretty much nothing (plus the news title is misleading like hell).

I figured. Thanks

Can I get a rough translation?

Chome does that actually.

I dunno, its all nice theories. Better animations, better AI but like someone else said, im pretty sure they say that everytime and the AI in 5 (especially for your teammates) were dumb as hell. So, we'll see.

Karl2177

I'm really curious what the playlists will be...
Same as what they are now. I remember someone promising a playlist update for Halo 3 and Halo Reach after they launched Halo 4. It never happened and the excuse was that they "lost the keys" to Halo 3 MM.
Wonder why they haven't updated Waypoint to include the medals you get for killing someone with a hammer or grenade launcher.
I'll have to check the API when I get home, but I believe that is updated to include the new medals.

last time they talked about the AI for their campaign it was a lie. We got shit AI team mates. I believed that their specific team, only working on that Halo 5 campaign AI, was going to be Amazing, i was SOOOO wrong. lol

if you're trying to boost clicks to your website .........

edit: they had a vidoc somewhere with the AI team talking about how that was their only role within 343i. Their role was to make these 3 ai members the best ever. So i know this is more in relation to the enemy AI, but at this point, anything AI related is getting a eye roll from me. *Until i see game-play evidence

remember when one of the Reach vidocs talked about how incredible the AI for driving was

Trup1aya

Chome does that actually.

I dunno, its all nice theories. Better animations, better AI but like someone else said, im pretty sure they say that everytime and the AI in 5 (especially for your teammates) were dumb as hell. So, we'll see.

Yeah, I was trying to use chrome on mobile, but it was taking for some reason.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
last time they talked about the AI for their campaign it was a lie. We got shit AI team mates. I believed that their specific team, only working on that Halo 5 campaign AI, was going to be Amazing, i was SOOOO wrong. lol

if you're trying to boost clicks to your website .........

edit: they had a vidoc somewhere with the AI team talking about how that was their only role within 343i. Their role was to make these 3 ai members the best ever. So i know this is more in relation to the enemy AI, but at this point, anything AI related is getting a eye roll from me. *Until i see game-play evidence

As poor was it was, they still had to make the AI do things it had never done before in Halo, which I am sure was a never ending process of trying to nail, which they obviously didn't. But they also probably had that same team having some level of involvement with the campaign missions themselves, as well the whole Warzone/Dedicated server aspect of the AI which I imagine was handled by the same team. Team is probably generous anyway, it could have easily been 4 or 5 people working together on it, with some dedicated towards the networking and others on actual squad mechanics.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hope the squad gameplay is dropped from 6. One of my favorite things in halo is the inter mix of line willing missions alongside those with friendlies.

Edit: lone wolfing. God damnit.

slyfox

Ace was the worst player on TL according to stats. Not surprising. Why keep him when there are better players out there. I would look into Saiyan or Spartan as replacements.

Trup1aya

Ace was the worst player on TL according to stats. Not surprising. Why keep him when there are better players out there. I would look into Saiyan or Spartan as replacements.

Which stats are you referring to?

Beyond that, stats don't tell the whole picture- they could very well be winning games because he's making the right plays, even if they cause him is life?

op_ivy

and cratos is without a team

giphy.webp

BizzyBum

Damn, I feel bad for Ace. Finally gets off that awful Str8 team and lands on a good Liquid team where it seemed they had the potential to be a really good squad and then gets dropped.

Who did they drop him for?

Madness

Damn, I feel bad for Ace. Finally gets off that awful Str8 team and lands on a good Liquid team where it seemed they had the potential to be a really good squad and then gets dropped.

Who did they drop him for?

Remember when Ace dropped Ninja for aPG before X-Games I think. Just the nature of the game. All the young-uns grind much more. Someone like Ace hasn't really put his heart into it either.

Trup1aya

Could incentivize MP folks to buy it for additional exclusive add-ons/req packs too, I guess. Campaigns are expensive. Include Firefight with campaign disc?

Yeah, there would definately be some exclusive content to campaign owners...

But the best incentive to getting people to buy campaigns, are good campaigns. I believe if it were really strong it would sell really well. People don't mind Buying Wolfenstein w/o MP, for example, because it's great.

I thought about firefight being on the campaign - seems like an arbitrary thing to do - like locking the COD4 remaster behind the IW paywall. But I guess they could give campaign owners early access to firefight maps and stuff like that.

Fuchsdh

You can also turn the games into advance multiplayer passes. Players of Halo X get access to the new maps for n months before they start showing up in the GAS Halo MP.

nillapuddin

The thing about Halo as a platform, is that the dev team handling it would theoretically have the freedom to tune the sandbox specifically to the will of the playerbase w/o being bound by restrictions imposed by the single player campaign.

I'd imagine it like:

Halo Online is your VS MP platform. Cost of entry is free or cheap. The service primarily funded by player customization and server rentals. Official servers would reflect the settings and sandbox of the players who use them.

Additions to the MP suite could reflect changes that spawn from the campaign, but they wouldn't have to. So for example if H6 came and added wall running (just a random example) - casual servers could be updated to support the new ability, while the HCS server would continue on without it.

The retail game would exist to continue the story

Ive had this same thought many times over the years, I did a quick search and found this from july 2013 lol

"Halo" releases on Xbox One as a Multiplayer only title for $__.__

Annual additional-installments come in the way of:
  • "Campaign" with the Master Chief is released every __ years for $__.__
  • Side story games like ODST are launched every __ years for $__.__
  • Remakes are launched (until the barrel is tapped out)
  • Cooperative content is PARAMOUNT
  • Other genre games like Wars are full price releases and dont count toward this

Updates come in the way of:
  • The MP suite is completely overhauled and coupled with every next installment in Master Chief's story
    (a reason for engine upgrades, better performance, better graphics, another paywall)
  • DLC needs to be consistent and paced more properly (COD averages 10 more maps per title since Halo 3)
  • maybe if you buy the campaign and MP in a bundle it saves you money as opposed to buying any combination separately

The part when you know it becomes unrealistic:
Halo Waypoint (the app) becomes likable and is used as a launch platform for all your Halo goodness.

Gaming is completely driven by online play now, if Halo wasn't tied to a number on a box, it could become more of a "brand" of game.

*no individual game component retails for 59.99, maybe more like 30-40

This is one of my many rants on the subject, and I think over the years I refined it a bit more, this is obviously very old.

But I would love it if Halo MP went FTP with req packs and it broke its ties to the campaign. The post I quoted is an early take where I don't have everything figured out (hell it was 4 years ago) but I really do think it could be a good step to take, even just as an experiment.

Fuchsdh

Ive had this same thought many times over the years, I did a quick search and found this from july 2013 lol

I think over the years I refined it a bit more, but I would love it if Halo MP went FTP with req packs and it broke its ties to the campaign. The post I quoted is an early take where I don't have everything figured out (hell it was 4 years ago) but I really do think it could be a good step to take, even just as an experiment.

Well, the place to experiment was PC, but they pulled out of the whole Halo Online thing. So who knows.

Trup1aya

Well, the place to experiment was PC, but they pulled out of the whole Halo Online thing. So who knows.

Halo online was executed so poorly. It was p2w through and through. Modders eventually made it into a game that would have been a huge success with an official release. The potential is DEFINATELY there...

nillapuddin

Yeah true.

Also, "Halo 5 Forge" just seemed like it was going to be a half step where before the foot hit the ground Halo stepped back anyways. I'm hoping they can find a way to make this happen, I think in todays world, a FTP Halo MP suite, could do well.

Its just so hard to find a level of success that is satisfactory. I want Halo to be king, but realistically in the current landscape that will never happen again, there are just too many competitors, so the expectation has to be scaled down.

Clearly with H5 MP we all know the mechanics for Halo is 2017 are there (sparring a few Spartan abilities and peoples opinions on them) so we need more maps, more gametypes and more players.

Well, FTP could definitely solve one of those issues.

Its scary because it will have never been done before, but people who want to "buy" Halo, still will, and hopefully stragglers pay for some packs along the way.

while looking up Halo lifetime sales I came across this quote from a non-gaming website "Halo 3 is a so-called first-person shooter featuring Master Chief, a biologically enhanced supersoldier who has to blast his way through a futuristic, 3-D landscape to survive and accomplish missions. He's countered at every turn by a shadowy terrorist group called The Covenant. "

Trup1aya

while looking up Halo lifetime sales I came across this quote from a non-gaming website "Halo 3 is a so-called first-person shooter featuring Master Chief, a biologically enhanced supersoldier who has to blast his way through a futuristic, 3-D landscape to survive and accomplish missions. He's countered at every turn by a shadowy terrorist group called The Covenant. "

Lmao. Sounds like the site has some stock video game commentary, and they just swap out proper nouns as neccisary.

DJ Gunner

I just reinstalled the game for the first time in nearly a year, and turned on the box from full power down. I have no slayer playlist. Help?

Edit: restarting the game worked. Wow.

Yeah true.

Also, "Halo 5 Forge" just seemed like it was going to be a half step where before the foot hit the ground Halo stepped back anyways. I'm hoping they can find a way to make this happen, I think in todays world, a FTP Halo MP suite, could do well.

Its just so hard to find a level of success that is satisfactory. I want Halo to be king, but realistically in the current landscape that will never happen again, there are just too many competitors, so the expectation has to be scaled down.

Clearly with H5 MP we all know the mechanics for Halo is 2017 are there (sparring a few Spartan abilities and peoples opinions on them) so we need more maps, more gametypes and more players.

Well, FTP could definitely solve one of those issues.

Its scary because it will have never been done before, but people who want to "buy" Halo, still will, and hopefully stragglers pay for some packs along the way.

The bullet point quoted in your previous post just makes me sad :(
  • DLC needs to be consistent and paced more properly (COD averages 10 more maps per title since Halo 3)
I feel like matchmaking is the driving point for halo while campaign is just icing on the cake, when it's good anwway... Trup1aya and your thoughts on separating the matchmaking from the campaign would free up the game so much and allow a lot of improvements to go down post-release. It seems nowadays halo is either good or bad and not much can be done to change the fact once the game is out. Separate the matchmaking and devs can do all sorts of things needed to keep it relevant or at least highly praised by already halo fans.
I just reinstalled the game for the first time in nearly a year, and turned on the box from full power down. I have no slayer playlist. Help?

Try out the HCS playlist. It's pretty dang good. No autos and recent patches have improved the aiming quite a bit. Just be ready for non-stop sweaty games since casuals have all but left halo.

This game is well programmed, the engine is running great and everything is fine.

Just fine.

BizzyBum

The thing is the game was solid at launch and a few months after.

They kept destroying the code or something with each update. lol

Karl2177

Why are you guys quitting the build all the time?

Other than the playlist issue I've barely had to do it.
I never can get a match if I just suspend the game, turn off the Xbox, turn on the Xbox, search for match. Like the game just doesn't find anything, even if I start a custom or campaign, so I quit and restart.

MCC I have to quit at any given moment because something fucky happens. I played the other day and I had to quit because I started searching and went into my customization menu. It lost all the UI and just had the background loop playing until it had a hard crash.

op_ivy

Why are you guys quitting the build all the time?

Other than the playlist issue I've barely had to do it.

Recently I've been getting frequent crashes and hangup. Sometimes launching the game, sometimes pre/post match, sometimes navigating menus. There's also the bug where playlists are missing and endless matchmaking.

jem0208

I never can get a match if I just suspend the game, turn off the Xbox, turn on the Xbox, search for match. Like the game just doesn't find anything, even if I start a custom or campaign, so I quit and restart.

MCC I have to quit at any given moment because something fucky happens. I played the other day and I had to quit because I started searching and went into my customization menu. It lost all the UI and just had the background loop playing until it had a hard crash.

That's weird, I don't think I've had that issue. Could be that I just haven't noticed it though, I don't often resume H5 when it's been suspended.

The MCC is a completely different story, I've quit the build far too many times on the MCC.

Rtas

Damn. (I love roster mania)

Have match making times significantly increased for anyone else? It's taking literal minutes to find a game in hcs, team arena, and slayer, and yet matches me within 30 seconds for fiesta. A population issue?

Didn't they only just get Ace??

Top Bottom