• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

no way dude. Ya crazy. Halo 5's fantastic, but all of the games' maps and mechanics would be better if built around sprintless gameplay.

oh i don't disagree, i thought you were saying ALL spartan abilities, etc.

i would love to see a faster general movement speed and sprint removed, agree whole-heartedly that map design and game feel would benefit greatly as a result.

[also, it would save my left thumb from going numb all the time from sprinting so damn much]

Detective

Yeah - they need to fix the shields thing, because the playlist as-is, is a straight up shit-show.

EDIT: This is a great example of something that could have been caught had they tested the list in a real world environment (maybe just not accessible to the public or w/e).
They literally just had to play one match. They could have said something like "sorry, there was a mistake and the playlist is delayed." Instead, they release into the wild and have to fix it *after* embarrassing themselves (whether or not the fix is an easy thing). This is the type of thing that happens all...the...time that we're talking about, Juan. In case you're wondering. Simple shit like this is why it's hard to believe they tried all those other things properly before the testing playlist. Add in stuff like the 14-day try and buy and we have little reason to trust responses when mistakes are made. There is so much ground that has to be made up and so much trust that has to be re-earned - and that's the problem.

Constant problems and update loops.

oh i don't disagree, i thought you were saying ALL spartan abilities, etc.

i would love to see a faster general movement speed and sprint removed, agree whole-heartedly that map design and game feel would benefit greatly as a result.

[also, it would save my left thumb from going numb all the time from sprinting so damn much]

All good! Clamber and slide are grouse, and I believe genuinely improve the classic formula. Both enhance gameplay, and traversal.

I kinda like Groundpound and ADS too, though that's really just because they look and feel cool.

Thruster isn't bad either, though a higher strafe speed will render it a bit superfluous.

NOKYARD

Sorry it so long to finally show up here.

Narrows is a huge omission
Yet Narrows is somehow missing....
Also not including Narrows and Construct for the maps is a head scratcher as those are two of the most iconic Halo 3 maps.
Also not including Narrows and Construct for the maps is a head scratcher as those are two of the most iconic Halo 3 maps.
We are working on all Halo 3 remakes but these were the ones which were complete by the cutoff date.

Narrows was geo complete by the cutoff but still needs art and testing. Construct was handed off to another forger to move to a different canvas when the original builder left, and was nearly complete. The original builder found some free time and came back to complete his original vision (on the new canvas) but didn't meet the deadline.

If the playlist is successful there are many maps waiting in the wings to be deployed at a later date. The plan is to provide a complete list of MM-ready H3 remakes in The343favorites File Share for custom games.

First game was Guardian... CTF. And there were no flags on the map. Also got betrayed for sniper.
Isolation and (i believe) Guardian were pulled due to MM breaking them. They worked fine when we handed them off. They should be repaired and replaced soon, if not already. MM breaking previously solid forge maps has been happening since Halo 3. I am actually surprised Guardian even made it that far. The map file has been corrupted for months (can't add screen shots, name does not show in lobby, infinite loading screen, etc).

[edit]
I'm guessing the scripting got screwed up when sending stuff to the matchmaking servers. I believe there was a scripted version of a 1 flag gametype that "worked".
We came close but never completed the 1-Flag/1-Bomb variant. It has been handed off to another qualified scripter so i will let you know when it's ready.

All good! Clamber and slide are grouse, and I believe genuinely improve the classic formula. Both enhance gameplay, and traversal.

I kinda like Groundpound and ADS too, though that's really just because they look and feel cool.

Thruster isn't bad either, though a higher strafe speed will render it a bit superfluous.

agree on all points.

i also love the abilities, pretty much because they make me "feel cool".

it also makes me "feel safe" thinking i can thrust away from a nade, or thrust out of someone's lock on my head.

just something about slide+jump+thrusting around the map that's insanely fun tbh.

not to mention the magnum is amazing and i'm so very fucking happy to have a proper pistol again [IT ONLY TOOK FOREVER GOSH].

Just ran customs in Halo 5 Forge with Halo 3 themed maps.

My game settings
Starting weapon: Pistol
Secondary: None

Spartan Abilities
Sprint: Disabled
Spartan Charge: Disabled
Slide: Disabled
Ground Pound: Enabled
Thruster: Enabled
Stabilize: Enabled
Clamber: Enabled

Radar: SA + Shooting - 25 M
Movement Speed 110%

Maps
Guardian by TENEDOR xFII12x
Narrows by Foge
Outpost by Pwn Jones (Not a Halo 3 map, but Pit themed, best 4v4 remake in Halo 5 IMO)
High Citadel by no god anywhere
Avalanche by some guy named Nokyard
Ragnahalla 2 by HerrMittmann
Seclusion by Given to Fly 93 (Isolation spiritual successor)

It was a lot of fun Halo 5 at 4K is great.

Just ran customs in Halo 5 Forge with Halo 3 themed maps.

My game settings
Starting weapon: Pistol
Secondary: None

Spartan Abilities
Sprint: Disabled
Spartan Charge: Disabled
Slide: Disabled
Ground Pound: Enabled
Thruster: Enabled
Stabilize: Enabled
Clamber: Enabled

Radar: SA + Shooting - 25 M
Movement Speed 110%

Maps
Guardian by TENEDOR xFII12x
Narrows by Foge
Outpost by Pwn Jones (Not a Halo 3 map, but Pit themed, best 4v4 remake in Halo 5 IMO)
High Citadel by no god anywhere
Avalanche by some guy named Nokyard
Ragnahalla 2 by HerrMittmann
Seclusion by Given to Fly 93 (Isolation spiritual successor)

It was a lot of fun Halo 5 at 4K is great.

not bad, not bad at all.

[i'd play the shit outta those settings]

So seems like the Voice Actor's strike is coming to a conclusion, with a reasonable resolution. Jen Taylor (Cortana), Steve Downes (Master Chief), and even David Scully (Johnson) were pretty big proponents of this, and it undoubtedly affected 343's current project to some degree. Wonder whether this passing will accelerate the the next Halo project, or rather its unveil. I'm sure 343 have a lot of scripts and lines awaiting voicing.

Also don't think this was discussed yet, but anyway

a8bq89f5rrnz.png

Trup1aya

Got a couple games in this morning in the h3 playlist. Movement feels REALLY liberating. Being able to crouch jump from level to level and continue the fight has been sorely missed. It helps that the geometry is mostly how i remember it, so I'm able to ascend without looking while still applying pressure. Its great.

Props to the forgers for a great job with the geometry and aesthetics. I instantly felt at home.

Static powerup timers are really cool!

I cant express enough how oppressive the h5 BR is in this mode. Guardian makes this point clearer than any other map. This is historically, one the most fun maps to move around in. Now the H5 BR + the grenades and hit markers +the shield regen make you feel damned at all times.

Spawns are really bad at times. Especially in slayer. Especially high grounds slayer. That gametype just makes me long for asym gametypes so the map can be played as intended.

Why isolation and snowbound? Why? Lol

At the end of the day, Its clear that a lot of thought and effort was poured into this, especially from forgers. Its a bummer that the existing sandbox and gametype selection aren't better suited towards facilitating the playlist. I hope it succeeds so that further improvement can be justified (I'm going to play it alot) - but i wonder how many classic halo fans are still playing h5 2 years after launch and how many of them have had positive first impressions.

TCKaos

Yeah - they need to fix the shields thing, because the playlist as-is, is a straight up shit-show.

EDIT: This is a great example of something that could have been caught had they tested the list in a real world environment (maybe just not accessible to the public or w/e).
They literally just had to play one match. They could have said something like "sorry, there was a mistake and the playlist is delayed." Instead, they release into the wild and have to fix it *after* embarrassing themselves (whether or not the fix is an easy thing). This is the type of thing that happens all...the...time that we're talking about, Juan. In case you're wondering. Simple shit like this is why it's hard to believe they tried all those other things properly before the testing playlist. Add in stuff like the 14-day try and buy and we have little reason to trust responses when mistakes are made. There is so much ground that has to be made up and so much trust that has to be re-earned - and that's the problem.

Yeah, the shields make this playlist absolutely unplayable. Halo 3 had faster charging shields than Halo 5, not slower ones - let alone ones so slow that they take literally twice as much time. It's something like nine and a half seconds to go from 0 shields to them recharging which is over double Halo 2 and Halo 3's time. That's not even counting the time it takes the shields to actually charge. All in all it takes over ten seconds, and in Halo 3 it was six seconds total.

For all of its other flaws that could be forgiven, this renders the playlist entirely unplayable, and literally playing any gametype on any of these maps even once should have immediately shown that to be the case.

wwm0nkey

Wonder when they are going to talk about that Halo 3 back compat news they couldn't talk about during the stream. They said soon so maybe during the weekly update?

Yeah the H3 list feels decent, but its nothing but a nice side distraction for a day or 2.

Matched Fats on Pit and 2 of our teammates were betraying eachother almost all game...then the other team quit till it was just 2 guys getting spawn fked. MM ladies and gentlemen.

wwm0nkey

All we know is "the BC team isn't done with Halo 3, and they're working on something we can't talk about right now"

I know better AF was patched in for BC titles, but I can't really think of what else they could possibly add unless for XBO X they added the ability to increase internal resolution? Game was locked at 30 so nothing to be done there.

Sordid

All we know is "the BC team isn't done with Halo 3, and they're working on something we can't talk about right now"

Might just be making DLC required for all lists since it's all free now or something like that? Although it'll be pretty mental if they update Halo 3 while still pretending MCC doesn't exist.

wwm0nkey

Seems like 343 revoked the forger's job because he made criticisms in the past lol.

Lost some hope for Halo 6 again.
Ouch, I mean things you say online do come back to bite but I never looked into him. I know some people wanted GameCheat13 at 343 but man looking at his Twitter, 343 won't touch that with a 10ft pool.

E92 M3

Ouch, I mean things you say online do come back to bite but I never looked into him. I know some people wanted GameCheat13 at 343 but man looking at his Twitter, 343 won't touch that with a 10ft pool.

It's embarrassing - talent is more important than some mean words. If 343 can't take criticism than things will never improve.

It's embarrassing - talent is more important than some mean words. If 343 can't take criticism than things will never improve.

Exactly, that twitter guy basically talks about halo 24/7, but its not all rosy so they stop listening? 343 not listening has been working out so well for them right?

343 has fucked up more then once and some of their fuck ups have been HUGE. If they cant own it, then theyre clearly not the company that should be running halo.

wwm0nkey

If you work for a company you represent that company, sorry but that is how it actually works man, what you say online does matter.

E92 M3

Exactly, that twitter guy basically talks about halo 24/7, but its not all rosy so they stop listening? 343 not listening has been working out so well for them right?

343 has fucked up more then once and some of their fuck ups have been HUGE. If they cant own it, then theyre clearly not the company that should be running halo.

Yeah, that's 100% true.

Really? We're pretending this guy didn't also have the whole Cartographer Conspiracy BS weighing him down?

C'mon, son.

Boohoo - their feelings were hurt. He was really talented and actually signaled some hope for the franchise. Instead, they wasted his time and severely impacted his life.

Post from TB:

Hey guys, I wanted to update you all on my situation with 343.

This is a little embarrassing and I've struggled back and forth about posting this publicly but I think it's best if I explain this once to everyone, and not a hundred times individually. As of yesterday 343 revoked their offer to me as a level designer. It seems that they weren't pleased with the way I've criticized them in the past between my posts on Forgehub and Beyond. So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats! You won. In fact you won to the extent so that I already quit my prior job, sold my place in California, placed a $2500 payment on an apartment in Bellevue Washington (among other expenses), and began transporting my belongings up there. Only to find out from the agency I was working under that my offer was withdrawn. Which puts me in a tricky position where I am both unemployed (no Treyarch or 343) and scrambling to find some place to live - as I had briefly moved my belongings to my parents during this weird transition phase. So life has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.

Now hear me, I'm not looking for pity. I believe I'm currently reaping what I've sowed; and it's not that I regret criticizing 343 publicly in the past because they are not above reproach - they know this as well. But rather the way I've gone about it could always have been more...professional. At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on). I suppose a little patience over the years could have gone a long way in this moment. I just wish communication would have been a bit clearer going either way to have avoided the pickle I'm currently in.

The expenses isn't the bad part; I can deal with that. I have no doubt I can find another level design job in the industry given time. The aspect of this that really drives home is that this was Halo. After all these years of forging, I thought what I wanted was 1: a proper editor without boundaries, 2:to be a professional. It wasn't until I was sitting at Treyarch working on the highest grossing video game franchise in the world with every ounce of dev power at my disposal did I realize that it wasn't about the editor, or the money, or the prestige. In fact after a 12 hour work day at Treyarch I would commute 3 hours home, sit down in front of my xbox, and start forging. And I think it was in that moment that everything really clicked - nothing really matters unless you're building for the game you love. And for as long as I can remember it's been Halo, it's always been Halo. All the dev tools in the world couldn't drive me away from clunking blocks together in forge just to have a single good 2v2 match before I knocked out for the night. People always ask me why I play so much Halo 5 (Level 142) if all I do is bitch about it. Well, I'd rather play a Halo game I hate than the greatest Battlefield game out there. Or the best Call of Duty. Or the best such and such. Even with all the frivolous mechanics that have entered the franchise in the past decade that I don't agree with, the simple ebb and flow of a good pistol battle is something that you're not going to find elsewhere.

I was excited to leave my cushy Southern California to go to rainy Washington, I was excited to take a ~$10,000 paycut. I was excited because I had finally made it to the place I felt like I was born to be in; Halo. And honestly that's all that mattered to me - working on the franchise that I loved. So to essentially already be in the door and then pushed back out is....difficult. And even more difficult knowing that this is essentially a forever no, a "you insulted our franchise and employees and will probably never get a chance to work here" no. It's disheartening to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to pursue another position in the game industry at this point. In the back of my head no matter where I worked I always knew I wanted to end at Halo. That's what I love, that's where my strongest talents lie, and that's what I know. So to have the reality spelled out for me where that position will likely never happen is a hard pill to swallow right now.

The few conversations I had with Tom French were delightful. The man was incredibly friendly, welcoming, understanding. I have no doubt that he would be a pleasure to work with and a great man to work under. But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm sorry this didn't end up playing out. I was as excited as any of you were to contribute to the franchise and hopefully really design maps that would stand the test of time, I wanted to really make this franchise the juggernaut we all know it can be. So, sorry to let everyone down.

Cranster

Banned
The guy should have been more professional online. He literally said everyone at 343i should be fired. Not a select few people, EVERYONE!

343i probably feels that his attitude would be poisonous for their team and I don't blame them.

EDIT:
qprr3Yp1QKZDi4I0ltpcoaV20brzRoEGiiBsegNTEZKDCaLXywwy03W2uMFbLn-lSBJ-lhmj=w1366-h637-rw

It's one thing to post criticism, but that is the kind of shit that would worry any Human Resources manager.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The guy should have been more professional online. He literally said everyone at 343i should be fired. Not a select few people, EVERYONE!

343i probably feels that his attitude would be poisonous for their team and I don't blame them.

EDIT:
qprr3Yp1QKZDi4I0ltpcoaV20brzRoEGiiBsegNTEZKDCaLXywwy03W2uMFbLn-lSBJ-lhmj=w1366-h637-rw

If you work for a company you represent that company, sorry but that is how it actually works man, what you say online does matter.

Really? We're pretending this guy didn't also have the whole Cartographer Conspiracy BS weighing him down?

C'mon, son.

All this.

E92 M3

EDIT:

It's one thing to post criticism, but that is the kind of shit that would worry any Human Resources manager.

Doesn't matter - he actually knew what he was doing. I'd rather hire people that keep it real and do a good job instead of a bunch of nice people that can't do anything right. I always encourage my employees to speak their mind and respect the ones that are actually honest.

jem0208

I'm mixed on this.

On the one hand the dude has said some pretty toxic shit online and that's not the type of attitude you want to bring into a company.

On the other it sucks that he had already left his job etc. 343 should have done their research on the guy before offering him the job.

Cranster

Banned
Doesn't matter - he actually knew what he was doing. I'd rather hire people that keep it real and do a good job instead of a bunch of nice people that can't do anything right. I always encourage my employees to speak their mind and respect the ones that are actually honest.
I wouldn't want to work for you then, because launching personal attacks at employees would make it a shitty and even more stressful work environment.

E92 M3

I wouldn't want to work for you then, because launching personal attacks at employees would make it a shitty and even more stressful work environment.

Everyone is actually happy because there is no pressure to conform. He was a talented designer that said some mean things - who cares. What's more important being nice or having a good product? 343 needs Halo 6 to be successful and they are worried about some angry rants. Some of the best designers in the industry had angry rants online.

BIG DEAL

Cranster

Banned
Everyone is actually happy because there is no pressure to conform. He was a talented designer that said some mean things - who cares. What's more important being nice or having a good product? 343 needs Halo 6 to be successful and they are worried about some angry rants. Some of the best designers in the industry had angry rants online.

BIG DEAL
And 343i agrees, if they thought he was important enough they wouldn't have withdrawn their offer. But they obviously saw him as more of a liability more than anything. It's not a doom and gloom situation like your making it out to be (as you always are).

jem0208

Imagine you found out that your new coworker had publicly stated that you didn't deserve your job. That's not going to foster a particularly good working environment.

I'm mixed on this.

On the one hand the dude has said some pretty toxic shit online and that's not the type of attitude you want to bring into a company.

On the other it sucks that he had already left his job etc. 343 should have done their research on the guy before offering him the job.

I mean yes, it depends what you say obviously. But if its gameplay criticism, then i have 0 problems with that.

What's more important being nice or having a good product?
Both, especially when it comes to this franchise with its grizzled and frequently heated community. It also kinda seems like he's missing the point:
At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on).
Just don't be a jerk.

E92 M3

And 343i agrees, if they thought he was important enough they wouldn't have withdrawn their offer. But they obviously saw him as more of a liability more than anything. It's not a doom and gloom situation like your making it out to be (as you always are).

Eh, he made me excited for Halo 6. I thought we'd finally have good maps.

Imagine you found out that your new coworker had publicly stated that you didn't deserve your job. That's not going to foster a particularly good working environment.

I would talk to him and ask him to explain. I am not the sensitive type and encourage all types of criticism.

So did he make those posts as someone in the industry or just as some random forger who happens to be really good at what he does?

Because if he was an industry person, shitting on other people working in the same industry, how badly do you think people want to work with someone who can't clearly be professional in public?

Like the best example i can think of is that dude from google. No doubt he was good to work his job, they wouldn't have hired him otherwise. Writing some weird and messed up manifesto clearly makes him unprofessional to work with.

What if he was working for 343i and later wrote something worse the next time. Freedom of speech is absolutely your right, but you aren't free of the consequences of what you type.

EDIT:

Also, HI! im new to the thread. Long time halo lover, long time gaf lurker. still love the old and the new games.
Not super big into the esports or forge scene but ocassionally watch time to time.

wwm0nkey

Now one thing that is kinda fucked up is that he quit his job and was about to move, that is some shit and 343 probably should have looked into him before offering because that's really not a fun place to be.

"No one at 343 deserves their jobs" goes a bit beyond gameplay criticism.

I agree, i think its a bit much. But on the flipside, when you release games like MCC and dont finish fixing it, what exactly do they expect from people who bought it with high expectations? Is it too much to expect a working game and if its never properly fixed, is that ok?

I mean i agree that what he said was a bit much and he should have worded that better, but if 343 went out of their way to fix MCC for example, maybe there would be a lot less hate towards them. This anger doesnt come out of nowhere. Its a reaction to the unsupported products and support (or lack there of) we get.

Welp, there go your chances of working at 343, E92.

I agree, i think its a bit much. But on the flipside, when you release games like MCC and dont finish fixing it, what exactly do they expect from people who bought it with high expectations? Is it too much to expect a working game and if its never properly fixed, is that ok?

I mean i agree that what he said was a bit much and he should have worded that better, but if 343 went out of their way to fix MCC for example, maybe there would be a lot less hate towards them. This anger doesnt come out of nowhere. Its a reaction to the unsupported products and support (or lack there of) we get.
You think it's on the devs to decide on fixing TMCC? And do you think the vitriol spewed at 343 is justified?

Top Bottom