• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Yeah this changed the game for me. The BR is pretty annoying, especially on smaller maps, but I'll live.

But being able to run and gun and play on maps with open sightlines is simply amazing. Thanks to the lack of SAs, actually being able to anticipate my opponents next move and having to Act Knowing that he can anticipate mine makes tactics feel as important as mechanical skill. Its beginning to feel like the halo i fell in love with.

I hope people keep playing the playlist. I got a game in a at 5:30am est and didn't have to wait, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Might also influence the next game if the population stays constant

and whats the problem with the BR? its amazing

Trup1aya

Might also influence the next game if the population stays constant

and whats the problem with the BR? its amazing

Its too easy to use at every range. So it feels oppressive, especially on smaller maps like guardian.

Every gun in the game is tuned to be used against people who are sprinting sliding and thrusting. So when you are using them against people who are moving at a reduced run speed (like in this playlist) they become even more effective. The BR is the one that annoys me the most because it's naturally the one being used all the time.

Anyway i booted up my xbox before work so i could play fortnite BR, when i noticed that the shield issue was fixed. So i played halo 5 instead.. not sure when I'll get to fortnite now.

Its too easy to use at every range. So it feels oppressive, especially on smaller maps like guardian.

Every gun in the game is tuned to be used against people who are sprinting sliding and thrusting. So when you are using them against people who are moving at a reduced run speed (like in this playlist) they become even more effective. The BR is the one that annoys me the most because it's naturally the one being used all the time.

Anyway i booted up my xbox before work so i could play fortnite BR, when i noticed that the shield issue was fixed. So i played halo 5 instead.. not sure when I'll get to fortnite now.

it is good, but thats why i like it. it could probably use a dumb down on the range, but i wouldnt touch anything else on it

E92 M3

with the kind of baseless, emotional, immature, and indefensible "criticism" people like you lambaste them with - i simply can't agree with you [and don't on anything you say anyway].

The last thing I care about is if you agree with me or not.

I love you.

And Wulff better not be the one screencapping stuff. Lol

Also curiouscharles you will get to the point where we are. But if you after all the stuff that was laid out here still don't think 343 doesn't handle it like they should (I mean the franchise and games in general) then I don't know.... but seems like you have a great chance of getting hired with this attitude :)

I miss juices and kylej they called this behaviour by 343 out years ago, hiring nice people from community sites eventhough their talents are not the best in the field.

Thanks lol - I just want Halo to be a premiere shooter again.

All the talent in the world won't save you in a company if your coworkers don't want to work with you, which is the actual risk in hiring someone who has previously bad-mouthed your employees. Add in an apparent penchant for drama related to the very thing you are hiring them for, and the choice is obvious.

It's actually the team work that matters the most, especially for these type of projects.

Look, he never named names. Any rational person can see it was simply hyperbole. I would have never taken offense to it working at 343. If he called out specific names, then there would have been some kind of case for these arguments.

wwm0nkey

Look, he never named names. Any rational person can see it was simply hyperbole. I would have never taken offense to it working at 343. If he called out specific names, then there would have been some kind of case for these arguments.

Well good for you dude, you are not all of 343, someone in those 100's of people probably did take offense to it and I personally would not want to work with someone who said that regardless of the job as I have already had to do that and it was awful. It already sounds like he is making good steps to improving and even he can admit what he said was dumb and doesn't need anyone apologizing for him. I am happy that he isn't being a PDP and doubling down on it after apologizing either and hopefully he can get picked up somewhere else after everything cleans up.

NOKYARD

Well good for you dude, you are not all of 343, someone in those 100's of people probably did take offense to it and I personally would not want to work with someone who said that regardless of the job as I have already had to do that and it was awful. It already sounds like he is making good steps to improving and even he can admit what he said was dumb and doesn't need anyone apologizing for him. I am happy that he isn't being a PDP and doubling down on it after apologizing either and hopefully he can get picked up somewhere else after everything cleans up.

I have been at the pointy end of his criticisms on many occasions and this is exactly how i feel on the subject. It's unfortunate that his frustrations turned his passion into poison. I am REALLY hoping 343 take another look at him down the road.

Trup1aya

it is good, but thats why i like it. it could probably use a dumb down on the range, but i wouldnt touch anything else on it

I like everything about the test BR accept the random spread. Give it the original BRs static spread, and it would be perfect IMO.

I have been at the pointy end of his criticisms on many occasions and this is exactly how i feel on the subject. It's unfortunate that his frustrations turned his passion into poison. I am REALLY hoping 343 take another look at him down the road.

Yeah. Hopefully he keeps forging and works on repairing his image and mending relationships. I was really excited about what he would bring to the table not only in the game, but in terms representing an olive branch between 343 and the competitive community.

wwm0nkey

I mean yeah if he proves he can change his attitude then there is no reason for 343 not to reconsider him, just not enough time has passed yet to really give that reconsideration.

So I guess with them rescinding that job offer, we'll have the same boring maps to not look forward to in Halo 6.

Can't wait for remixes to return! *roll eyes*

Again, guy was a great designer, doesn't mean he is the best. They are looking for a designer so the maps can still be very good without him

I think the best thing for all involved is to delay the release of this another year to 2019. Next year is going to be fierce competition, with a Treyarch COD, and another Battlefield. If you don't come to the party with competent maps, you're going to get bricked.

i expect 2018 to be the time of hype for halo 6 with a release in 2019 SEPT, this will also allow the GEARS franchise to have another year....

Who am i kidding, they will change up the marketing and it'll be a 2018 release with an all out marketing blitz of halo, halo, halo starting from Spring 2018 until release. They would want to own all marketing headlines along with the newly established install base of the xbox one x. a lot of ammo to use for marketing, from what my peasant eyes can see. ride that train of the most powerful console.

i wonder how many people will want to buy an xbox one x when RDR2 comes out with that face off detailing how much better it looks on the 1x.

I think the best thing for all involved is to delay the release of this another year to 2019. Next year is going to be fierce competition, with a Treyarch COD, and another Battlefield. If you don't come to the party with competent maps, you're going to get bricked.

Maps arent designed by one guy

FyreWulff

Until he writes a sincere apology to those he instigated witch hunts against, which goes way beyond criticism, 343 should never look at him because it sends the wrong message. Honestly, not even then, considering the level of creepy shit he's posted.

His current 'ya got me' posts are crocodile tears. He went from saying he hadn't done anything to "oh yeah, but at least my witchhunt video got rid of the CCs anyway!". He's been disingenious with this entire episode, and has learned nothing.

It's irrelevant how good your handskill is if you're incapable of working on a team and are constantly abusing your peers.

edit: actually, after more of his stuff has come to light, we don't need his maps if he's going to brag about calling his co-workers insane and threatening assault.

Finaj

If map design had any influence on sales the COD franchise would have faltered long ago.

Fuchsdh

343 killed my family

Then you need to become the hero Halo needs.

Doesn't matter - he actually knew what he was doing. I'd rather hire people that keep it real and do a good job instead of a bunch of nice people that can't do anything right. I always encourage my employees to speak their mind and respect the ones that are actually honest.

Your outlook functions on the false premise that there are no people who are good at their job and not assholes. In reality, that doesn't seem to be a problem, especially when you're part of an industry that constantly has new people jockeying for jobs.

Until he writes a sincere apology to those he instigated witch hunts against, which goes way beyond criticism, 343 should never look at him because it sends the wrong message.

His current 'ya got me' posts are crocodile tears. He went from saying he hadn't done anything to "oh yeah, but at least my witchhunt video got rid of the CCs anyway!". He's been disingenious with this entire episode, and has learned nothing.

It's irrelevant how good your handskill is if you're incapable of working on a team and are constantly abusing your peers.

I'd say he's learned a lesson, if not "I should not make personal attacks." He's painfully aware now that if he went talking to the press or blew up at 343, he would be torpedoing his chances working in the games industry. Few companies would want to touch him if he'd fought back. The people interpreting this action as him "being the bigger man" are missing the self-preservation going on here.

I'd say he's learned a lesson, if not "I should not make personal attacks." He's painfully aware now that if he went talking to the press or blew up at 343, he would be torpedoing his chances working in the games industry. Few companies would want to touch him if he'd fought back. The people interpreting this action as him "being the bigger man" are missing the self-preservation going on here.

Yeah, the lesson is: make personal attacks and you can become president of the united states.

jem0208

I'm not feeling the H3 playlist.

It's far better now the shields have been fixed but it's just not as fun as normal H5.

I really miss thrust when playing on it.

Juan

I'd like the Test BR with the spread of the H5 BR. I think that would work well on h3 maps...

I don't remember the original Halo 5 BR having spread at all, the bullets were following the same clear on-forward line.

Thruster encourage people to fly away as soon as they feel they may lose a fight (which is really annoying to me). I don't feel like this is the Halo spirit sincerely, glad it's not there.

The only thing I miss is clamber since some jumps aren't 1:1 and don't work anymore.

I'm with Trup on this one ↓↓↓↓

Trup1aya

I'm not feeling the H3 playlist.

It's far better now the shields have been fixed but it's just not as fun as normal H5.

I keep tapping thrust instinctively when i get shot.

It reminds me how much i used it as a free get-out-of-jail card.

Now i have to move intelligently. And people who mess up around me aren't getting away. I love it.

jem0208

I keep tapping thrust instinctively when i get shot.

It reminds me how much i used it as a free get-out-of-jail card.

Now i have to move intelligently. And people who mess up around me aren't getting away. I love it.

You consider it a get out of jail free card, I consider it as a tool which allows me to take more risks.

It forces you to be more risk averse and therefore makes the game less exciting.

The playlist also just feels so much slower than normal H5.

I don't remember the original Halo 5 BR having spread at all, the bullets were following the same clear on-forward line.

Thruster encourage people to fly away as soon as they feel they may lose a fight (which is really annoying to me). I don't feel like this is the Halo spirit sincerely, glad it's not there.

The only thing I miss is clamber since some jumps aren't 1:1 and don't work anymore.

I'm with Trup on this one ↓↓↓↓

so wanting to back away from a losing fight isnt in the halo "spirit"? Thats news to me

Juan

so wanting to back away from a losing fight isnt in the halo "spirit"? Thats news to me

There is a difference between strategically using cover & environment to get your shield back and outsmart your opponent and just press a button to run away from a fight with unpredictable omnidirectional mouvement.

On top of that, I said thruster encourage people to run away, and then that encouraging people to run away isn't the spirit of Halo, not the player wanting to back away. ;)

I know you are smarter than that Vincent, so please, if you can quote me, quote me word by word and don't just put words into my mouth that I never said. We both know you can make the difference between the game giving you a tool that will inevitably encourage a certain type of behavior from a vaste majority of player, and the player using basic movement mechanic available since the first game to create its own strategy.

If not, this plus Destiny being classic Halo evolved, then we are definitely not playing the same game.

You're a good fella Juan. Hope you get it.

Thanks buddy!

jem0208

There is a difference between strategically using cover & environment to get your shield back and outsmart your opponent and just press a button to run away from a fight with unpredictable omnidirectional mouvement.

On top of that, I said thruster encourage people to run away, and then that encouraging people to run away isn't the spirit of Halo, not the player wanting to back away. ;)

I know you are smarter than that Vincent, so please, if you can quote me, quote me word by word and don't just put words into my mouth that I never said. We both know you can make the difference between the game giving you a tool that will inevitably encourage a certain type of behavior from a vaste majority of player, and the player using basic movement mechanic available since the first game to create its own strategy.

If not, this plus Destiny being classic Halo evolved, then we are definitely not playing the same game.

Thrust isn't a magical button which saves you from any dangerous sitaution. You still need to have good map awareness and movement to outsmart your opponent.

I also completely disagree that thrust encourages people to run away. It encourages the exact opposite of that. It allows players to move out further, engage and generally take more risks.

Juan

Thrust isn't a magical button which saves you from any dangerous sitaution. You still need to have good map awareness and movement to outsmart your opponent.

I also completely disagree that thrust encourages people to run away. It encourages the exact opposite of that. It allows players to move out further, engage and generally take more risks.

We need datas to consider this!!!

Jokes aside, I genuinely don't think average players see this button the same way as you do, really. They either are using Thruster to move faster in the map, not to take risk but just to get a sense of moving faster, or use it during a duel to either move away if they feel they are losing, or try to outsmart the opponent.

Outsmarting someone doesn't encourage taking risk more as strafing during a duel encourage you to.

Putting power weapon on a map encourage flow and mouvement, and risk since you are forced to move if you want to get the appropriate power tool.

I'm sure people will see the thruster the way you do jem, and usually, I disagree with you on most of your opinion regarding Halo 5, as much as you like the game and I don't, so I'm not surprised we don't share a similar opinion here.

Trup1aya

You consider it a get out of jail free card, I consider it as a tool which allows me to take more risks.

It forces you to be more risk averse and therefore makes the game less exciting.

The playlist also just feels so much slower than normal H5.

Its not really taking a risk if you have a safety net.

The concept of risk implies a chance of punishment. The availability of the thruster significantly reduces the chance of punishment - making decisons that WOULD BE risky, much less so.

Not having thruster doesnt force you to be risk averse. It just forces you to be more cognizant of when you are actually doing something risky.

Oh but it is lol

god forbid youre not moving like a turtle at all times

belushy

Banned
Until he writes a sincere apology to those he instigated witch hunts against, which goes way beyond criticism, 343 should never look at him because it sends the wrong message. Honestly, not even then, considering the level of creepy shit he's posted.

Gee I dont think youre biased at all on this subject!

Cranster

Banned
Gee I dont think youre biased at all on this subject!

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comme...s_has_revoked_multilockons_job_offer/dnkrdge/

He got offered a job by 343 but immediately afterwards a Reddit user pointed out that two months ago he said nobody at 343 deserves their job. Looking at recent posts also showed he singled out two individuals at 343 as turds, said he hated a certain employee there and jokingly said he'd like to "Spartan charge them in real life", and made other less-than-flattering ad hominem statements about people there. There were also a few threads where he was just responding with laughter to a comment about hypothetical nudes of a female member of 343 and was just part of a discussion where someone described two of the studio's female employees performing sex acts on the commenters. Maybe not a big deal because he wasn't the one making the statements, but could be pretty awkward working with him simply because of his responses to the posts. As a result, 343 naturally withdrew the offer because you can't behave that way in public toward your would-be coworkers and bosses and expect to be hired. This sucks for him, of course, because he had already quit his old job and was in the process of moving to Washington. It is horrible that 343 didn't know about this stuff until he'd already been given the go-ahead. Edit: He has also made all kinds of ignorant transphobic posts, posts saying people choose to be gay, etc. No idea whether that was part of the decision once they started looking into him or not but I do know that kind of stuff wouldn't fly at 343.
You were saying?

That's quite a stretch to say he'd turn around the "boring maps" with Halo 6, a game that's already in development. Hope you didn't pull a muscle.

There's plenty of other talent within the industry, he'll in the forge community itself.

NO MORE FORGE MAPS AT LAUNCH

It was a garbage move in Reach, and it was a garbage move in Halo 5.

A playlist a month or two down the line? Sure. Fine. Whatever. Day one? Just screams "we didn't have any good ideas for maps, so here are a bunch of boring grey maps".

FyreWulff

I think it's closer to "we need to let players have something to help them learn the Forge tool at launch and it helps iterate the Forge tool leading up to launch" but okay

Karl2177

NO MORE FORGE MAPS AT LAUNCH

It was a garbage move in Reach, and it was a garbage move in Halo 5.

A playlist a month or two down the line? Sure. Fine. Whatever. Day one? Just screams "we didn't have any good ideas for maps, so here are a bunch of boring grey maps".
Well considering Forge didn't exist at launch for Halo 5, it's an interesting proposition.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok I tried the playlist today. The praise is unjustified, the game still isn't able to run fluid on forge maps, the maps are very well crafted, though I wish other maps were done.

Guardian, Pit and Citadel are awesome though. Can we please just have Halo 6 news or Halo 3 on PC.

Juan

I can't stop playing the H3 playlist

I don't know how you do that. The settings are fine now and the playlist is better than before, but the OP BR and the overall sandbox keep me away from enjoying any game in this playlist. Guardian is a nightmare, Citadel is only playing one base from another one thanks to the OP BR, same for snowbound...

I would rather prefer play Halo 3 on the MCC since it's also 60fps.

At least, it clearly demonstrated Halo can still work with classic settings, according the sandbox and the maps fit the gameplay.

Just screams "we didn't have any good ideas for maps, so here are a bunch of boring grey maps".

I don't think it screams "we didn't have any good ideas" as much as "We don't have enough ressources to give those ideas a proper dev workflow".

I mean, you still need ideas to create forge maps, behind level design ideas or gameplay flow, but creating the grey-boxing test area, the geometry, textures, shaders, cache-files took way more time than testing your ideas within the Forge and ship the maps as validated-somehow-good-looking greybox maps.

wwm0nkey

Ok I tried the playlist today. The praise is unjustified, the game still isn't able to run fluid on forge maps, the maps are very well crafted, though I wish other maps were done.

Guardian, Pit and Citadel are awesome though. Can we please just have Halo 6 news or Halo 3 on PC.
Halo Online 0.60 is out this weekend isn't it? No idea if year about that is allowed or not though but I'll probably pass, I just want Halo 6

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo Online 0.60 is out this weekend isn't it? No idea if year about that is allowed or not though but I'll probably pass, I just want Halo 6

I didn't get Halo Online to run the last time I tried, but worth a try I guess.
Yeah Halo 6 on PC is needed at this point.

I also forgot how easy it is to snipe in Halo 5

Fuchsdh

I think it's closer to "we need to let players have something to help them learn the Forge tool at launch and it helps iterate the Forge tool leading up to launch" but okay

Yep. Doesn't excuse a lack of dev content, but I'd like Forgers to get a good map or two ready to go at launch (this is assuming that they've learned their lesson and realize that Halo's biggest strength at this point is the combo of custom games browser and custom maps.)

Top Bottom