• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

m23

It wouldnt be worse at all, its exactly what theyre complaining about, less effective at range but not as crappy as H3s BR.

That's what I was thinking, don't think the h2 br had great range which seems to be a major issue with the h5 br in this playlist. At least in my eyes.

That's what I was thinking, don't think the h2 br had great range which seems to be a major issue with the h5 br in this playlist. At least in my eyes.

Halo 2 BR actually has a slightly lower TTK than H5 BR (1.47 vs. 1.32), and range. Magnetism though is way, way higher however, which would ruin the playlist far more than the current BR. Bullet magnetism is already pretty crazy as is.

https://youtu.be/loX1d6PUiEE?t=4m24s

Hopefully with future Halos we see them

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oonsk Sr.

How weird. I was in a meeting yesterday with some painted MC concept art and there was a big friendly OONSK making a dumb face on his shoulder and I started laughing and then everyone stared at me and I had to explain to adult professionals why a 46 year old man was nearly crying because of a pretend face.

wwm0nkey

How weird. I was in a meeting yesterday with some painted MC concept art and there was a big friendly OONSK making a dumb face on his shoulder and I started laughing and then everyone stared at me and I had to explain to adult professionals why a 46 year old man was nearly crying because of a pretend face.

I demand a video (So I can catch a peek on that MC art)

Fuchsdh

People don't see Oonsk these days...

giphy.gif

FyreWulff

People don't see Oonsk these days...

giphy.gif

Reach was 7 years ago. There are people born post-Oonsk who's first MarioKart is 8 and just had the first day of first grade last month

giphy.gif

We're closer to Combat Evolved's 20 year anniversary than we are to the release of Halo Anniversary

Reach was 7 years ago. There are people born post-Oonsk who's first MarioKart is 8 and just had the first day of first grade last month

https://media.giphy.com/media/GrUhLU9q3nyRG/giphy.gif[IMG]

[spoiler]We're closer to Combat Evolved's 20 year anniversary than we are to the release of Halo Anniversary[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Pls stop

m23

giphy.gif

We're closer to Combat Evolved's 20 year anniversary than we are to the release of Halo Anniversary

Holy shit I'm old.

Fuchsdh

It's going to get really weird about people complaining about 343's Halo versus Bungie when come 2021 by the latest measure 343 will have been producing games for longer than Bungie did.

It's going to get really weird about people complaining about 343's Halo versus Bungie when come 2021 by the latest measure 343 will have been producing games for longer than Bungie did.
At which point Destiny 3 will be out and players will be clamoring for Bungie to reboot or make Halo 7 lol. We all know Bungie likes the number 7, so it's only a matter of time till those connections are made.

FyreWulff

I wonder if ForgeHub will have any threads left on their forum at that point after they've purged so many in the past day.

I wonder if ForgeHub will have any threads left on their forum at that point after they've purged so many in the past day.

Bleh, other communities. It was interesting catching up on that MultiLockOn stuff, and seeing some of the old Halo 4-era HaloGAF bitterness come out in that gaming side thread, and then discovering that it's also alive and well in other communities.

The level of cognitive dissonance needed to think you love Halo, hate the bejeezus out of the games that came out in the past 7 years, yet play them all the time and make content for them, but also hate the company that makes them, is still pretty amazing.

wwm0nkey

At which point Destiny 3 will be out and players will be clamoring for Bungie to reboot or make Halo 7 lol. We all know Bungie likes the number 7, so it's only a matter of time till those connections are made.

I just wish Bungie wouldn't have canned that Marathon reboot man :c

I get only 5% of people there were working on it, but damn.

FyreWulff

It's similar to the MW2 protest where all the protesters were in MW2 on day 1.

Vote with your wallet and stick to it if you truly don't like a developer's product, and walk away. When I didn't like what they did with Halo 4 I stopped buying the DLC.

I didn't keep making content for the game, and then laugh and joke about assaulting 343 employees. Secured doorways just aren't just to protect NDAs, and who gets to traverse them with a badge isn't just about what you can do at the desk.

Fuchsdh

Bleh, other communities. It was interesting catching up on that MultiLockOn stuff, and seeing some of the old Halo 4-era HaloGAF bitterness come out in that gaming side thread, and then discovering that it's also alive and well in other communities.

The level of cognitive dissonance needed to think you love Halo, hate the bejeezus out of the games that came out in the past 7 years, yet play them all the time and make content for them, but also hate the company that makes them, is still pretty amazing.

I think the sentiments of literally "I lost sleep thinking that 343i's map designers still have jobs" and the idea that Multi was going to single-handedly "save" Halo were more impressive.

This entire kerfuffle really isn't about MultiLockOn, it's people dissatisfied with the state of the franchise looking for a) anyone to be the person to pin their hopes on, and b) any excuse to criticize 343 for not hiring a guy. That he turned out to be an asshole is irrelevant because that's secondary to their goals.

I just wish Bungie wouldn't have canned that Marathon reboot man :c

I get only 5% of people there were working on it, but damn.

I'm still waiting on a Pathways remake. That game's mystery and exploratory elements were so ahead of its time, but they're trapped in an archaic presentation.

1,000 times this.

it's intriguing to watch at the very least.

jem0208

Like, I get the whole multi fiasco shit, but what does Forgehub have to gain by hiding all his shit?

Or is it that the entire Forgehub community is shitty?

FyreWulff

Like, I get the whole multi fiasco shit, but what does Forgehub have to gain by hiding all his shit?

Or is it that the entire Forgehub community is shitty?

Their reputation was so toxic that they got banned from submitting maps by Bungie in a public post in 2008 because their community members would stalk and harass anyone that submitted maps to the ATLAS community map process for Halo 3 and didn't kiss feet over at FH first.

They were the_donald of dot maps

Fuchsdh

Their reputation was so toxic that they got banned from submitting maps by Bungie in a public post in 2008 because their community members would stalk and harass anyone that submitted maps to the ATLAS community map process for Halo 3 and didn't kiss feet over at FH first.

They were the_donald of dot maps

Wait, is Forgehub where the original post was made and the followup stuff was pulled from, or was that Beyond, or a combination?

Nice.

And I really should just open up the H3 maps in Forge and look at them without getting shot at and bringing down my teammates. They all look great, and at least from my playtime have performed well. Also pretty amazing that you can duplicate Bungie's baroque Halo 3 Forerunner style given all that detail and small accents and geometry.

jem0208

Wait, is Forgehub where the original post was made and the followup stuff was pulled from, or was that Beyond, or a combination?

Nice.

And I really should just open up the H3 maps in Forge and look at them without getting shot at and bringing down my teammates. They all look great, and at least from my playtime have performed well. Also pretty amazing that you can duplicate Bungie's baroque Halo 3 Forerunner style given all that detail and small accents and geometry.

Most of the shit posts of his were on Forgehub. His announcements that he'd got and subsequently lost the job at 343 were made on Beyond.

Trup1aya

I think that just goes to show how addictive halo's core gameplay loop is.

Even if you hate what had happened to the story, to the art, to the movement, to the enemies, to the balancing, to the QA etc, there is still something alluring about the shield mechanic + the halo trifecta of guns, grenades,melee - and it can't be found elsewhere.

Imo, the worst halo is probably still better than other shooter so long as those things are in tact. I dont think that takes cognitive dissonance. Just a strong affinity to a unique formula.

Halo 2 BR actually has a slightly lower TTK than H5 BR (1.47 vs. 1.32), and range. Magnetism though is way, way higher however, which would ruin the playlist far more than the current BR. Bullet magnetism is already pretty crazy as is.

https://youtu.be/loX1d6PUiEE?t=4m24s

Hopefully with future Halos we see them

So fix the damage. My point was, compared to the H5 BR the one in h2 has the right idea, just needs a damage buff.

Fuchsdh

I think that just goes to show how addictive halo's core gameplay loop is.

Even if you hate what had happened to the story, to the art, to the movement, to the enemies, to the balancing, to the QA etc, there is still something alluring about the shield mechanic + the halo trifecta of guns, grenades,melee - and it can't be found elsewhere.

Imo, the worst halo is probably still better than other shooter so long as those things are in tact. I dont think that takes cognitive dissonance. Just a strong affinity to a unique formula.

Eh, some people just love to hate on things and so that fuels their actions more than enjoyment of the thing itself. Over at Destiny.Bungie.Org the guy with the most negative reactions to just about everything in the game was also the guy who played the most Destiny out of pretty much everyone. Ain't any sense in that.

Eh, some people just love to hate on things and so that fuels their actions more than enjoyment of the thing itself. Over at Destiny.Bungie.Org the guy with the most negative reactions to just about everything in the game was also the guy who played the most Destiny out of pretty much everyone. Ain't any sense in that.

For destiny, it makes perfect sense. The game is addictive, doesnt mean there isnt issues with it. I played a ton of D1 and i could still give you a full page worth with no skipped lines of problems the game had.

Trup1aya

Perhaps some people do love to hate on things.

Perhaps people that consume the most of something are the most aware of its flaws and are the most interested in seeing those flaws eradicated.

I can only speak for myself, but i have been very disappointed in halo games over the past 7 years. I didnt like reach, i hated halo 4, the MCC was a travesty, and Halo 5 (mp) is so frustratingly close to being amazing that the glaring issues holding it back are infuriating (yet I'm addicted to it)

I dont love to hate halo. I love halo. I hate many of the design choices made. I hate the QA issues. I think many people feel the same. Should they attack devs? Hell no. Should they leave? Maybe. But that's easier said than done when nothing in the market comes close to scratchimg the same itch.

Being told there may not be enough players to support a game in the weapon tuning playlist and to try a different list. Tuning playlist is top of the roster which usually guarantees a healthy population. Is this player count in H5 really so low now?

Trup1aya

Being told there may not be enough players to support a game in the weapon tuning playlist and to try a different list. Tuning playlist is top of the roster which usually guarantees a healthy population. Is this player count in H5 really so low now?

I was playing the tuning playlist, but I'm tired of using a utility weapon that doesn't shoot where I'm aiming.

Now I only play the H3 playlist (which is also top of the roster)

Perhaps some people do love to hate on things.

Perhaps people that consume the most of something are the most aware of its flaws and are the most interested in seeing those flaws eradicated.

I can only speak for myself, but i have been very disappointed in halo games over the past 7 years. I didnt like reach, i hated halo 4, the MCC was a travesty, and Halo 5 (mp) is so frustratingly close to being amazing that the glaring issues holding it back are infuriating (yet I'm addicted to it)

I dont love to hate halo. I love halo. I hate many of the design choices made. I hate the QA issues. I think many people feel the same. Should they attack devs? Hell no. Should they leave? Maybe. But that's easier said than done when nothing in the market comes close to scratchimg the same itch.

Right, there's obviously degrees in this. You can be pretty critical, or even bitter, but still not have that pointlessly toxic attitude which is pervasive some places (like HaloGAF 2013). I think it does take some cognitive dissonance to be so negative about the product and its producer but still use and support it and therefore them.

Trup1aya

Right, there's obviously degrees in this. You can be pretty critical, or even bitter, but still not have that pointlessly toxic attitude which is pervasive some places (like HaloGAF 2013). I think it does take some cognitive dissonance to be so negative about the product and its producer but still use and support it and therefore them.

The only thing it takes to be 'so' negative is internet anonymity. Not only that, but Toxicity is a common characteristic in dysfunctional relationships. The amazing things that brought two parties together is the glue that keeps them together dispite the incompatibility

Thats not an excuse, btw, it's just something i notice

Top Bottom