• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

JlNX

I'm going to try to break this to you gently...

Sprint ain't going no where.

I could see them replacing the need for sprint with a far faster base movement speed, nothing quake like or anything but somewhere just below the current sprint speed.

Juan

I could see them replacing the need for sprint with a far faster base movement speed, nothing quake like or anything but somewhere just below the current sprint speed.

Unfortunately, for people who appreciate sprint, you would need a really higher base movement speed to just initiate the idea that you don't need sprint, especially for gametype like Warzone or even just the campaign.

The only recent game offering me this is DOOM, but that speed would not be really good for a Halo game.

343 would be torn between what some of the community want, and what they think people are expecting from a 2017 shooters that isn't class based. I really don't think we will see sprint go away with the next Halo game.

Talents

Banned
Can't wait for the inevitable Halo 6 leak. Always an event.

Pro-tip, Halo 6 is gonna be just as garbage as the last 3.

Maybe if 343 listened to the community instead of thinking they know best (even though 90% of people who work at 343 are garbage at the game), the game could be good again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe if 343 listened to the community instead of thinking they know best (even though 90% of people who work at 343 are garbage at the game), the game could be good again.

You should apply at 343

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rather not work for a company that ruined my favorite franchise and shit talks fans on Twitter lul.

Plus if you say anything bad about the company the snowflakes at 343 fire you apparently so no thanks.

Snowflakes.... Really?

Most of Twitter and twitch commenters are embarrassing.

m23

Halo 5 has been great IMO. Obviously stuff that needs to be improved but far from garbage.

Rather not work for a company that ruined my favorite franchise and shit talks fans on Twitter lul.

Plus if you say anything bad about the company the snowflakes at 343 fire you apparently so no thanks.

I get that people are crazy passionate about stuff but this reads like bait.gif

Trup1aya

Unfortunately, for people who appreciate sprint, you would need a really higher base movement speed to just initiate the idea that you don't need sprint, especially for gametype like Warzone or even just the campaign.

The only recent game offering me this is DOOM, but that speed would not be really good for a Halo game.

343 would be torn between what some of the community want, and what they think people are expecting from a 2017 shooters that isn't class based. I really don't think we will see sprint go away with the next Halo game.

I dont know about this. sprint isn't even that much faster than base movement speed. It's like 10-20%. They are throwing of weapon and encounter balancing all for a slight increase in speed that they cancel out by stretching the map anyway.

Beyond that "sense of speed" is more about relativity and sensory effects than it is about actual velocity.

They just need to make it FEEL like Spartans are ALWAYS moving quickly. Widen the FOV and have good visual and sound effects.

People dont feel "the need to move faster than normal" unless they feel it takes too long to get places at normal speed. 343 can Provide faster means of travel or don't make places so far apart.

It's a terrible statistical error to assume that people require sprint in their shooters. It's not like sprint-free shooters are failing- developers just aren't making them. The last time a halo game took that approach, it was the most successful game in the franchise.

He didn't just talk bad about the company. He posted things about other groups of people and 343 didnt want their company associated with that stuff. Its bothersome that they didn't do their research before giving him an offer, But i can't blame them for not wanting to be associated with some of his public views.

jem0208

You mean if you make transphobic and bigoted comments 343 rightfully rescind your job offer?

Juan

I dont know about this. sprint isn't even that much faster than base movement speed. It's like 10-20%. They are throwing of weapon and encounter balancing all for a slight increase in speed that they cancel out by stretching the map anyway.

Beyond that "sense of speed" is more about relativity and sensory effects than it is about actual velocity.

They just need to make it FEEL like Spartans are ALWAYS moving quickly. Widen the FOV and have good visual and sound effects.

People dont feel "the need to move faster than normal" unless they feel it takes too long to get places at normal speed. 343 can Provide faster means of travel or don't make places so far apart.

It's a terrible statistical error to assume that people require sprint in their shooters. It's not like sprint-free shooters are failing- developers just aren't making them. The last time a halo game took that approach, it was the most successful game in the franchise.

I would actually LOVE to have access to a game lab to do some UX test on gamers's behaviors regarding speed and the effect of sprint on the brain.

From all the datas I gathered around internet, and friends I asked questions during play sessions, they feel like more convinced they are going faster because they do an action, pressing button, to activate something, in this case sprint.

I showed them I could give them a faster base movement speed without needing sprint, but they kept telling me they preferred to chose when they could go to max speed, even if, actually, they were using it all the time to move from short to long distance.

The only thing I could think about this is it's way more a psychological trick our brains have been used to since the sprint has been a popularized mechanic.

DOOM proved it wasn't necessary, and all my friends playing it (the same I used for this test) told me it was actually good without sprint since, due to level design, motion blur and base speed, they didn't feel the need to go faster than they already were.

So yeah, as you said, it's way more an impression than anything else, the feel of being too slow. This can easily be changed with higher FOV as you said, visual effect like a very low motion blur if needed (I don't really like motion blur but it works well in DOOM).

In the end, it really depends on how people would react toward aiming at people that move fast. DOOM MP is a blast for me because everything is so fast, but all most of my friends didn't like DOOM MP during this test because they thought opponent were moving too fast to aiming at them correctly.

I think faster base movement and Thruster would give people the best of both world, moving fast, but not too fast, and having a phycological trick that you gotta go fast using the thruster by pressing a button.

The level design also needs to give the impression of going fast by not being too stretched btw.

yup, just increase base movement speed 15% or so, make maps tighter, BTB pistol starts, 91 metacritic guaranteed! ;p

but yeah, it's mostly psychological.

you give me a sprint option, you better believe i'm going to feel safest crossing open space while sprinting.

if the option weren't there, it wouldn't feel that way.

i thought i'd experience this playing the h3 throwback, but no, base movement is so slow that it just doesn't work.

He didn't just talk bad about the company. He posted things about other groups of people and 343 didnt want their company associated with that stuff. Its bothersome that they didn't do their research before giving him an offer, But i can't blame them for not wanting to be associated with some of his public views.

yea dude is a POS, but he's learned his lesson it seems.

belushy

Banned
I like base H5 gameplay. H6 can be the same, just have more maps & gametypes(good ones), real btb, forge, and no blank melees at LAUNCH.

Im actually not sure anymore tbh, if the Halo3 playlist is popular enough....you never know.
This was the same thing people were hoping for with MCC. “If the classic game playlists are super populated, maybe they’ll see we want more and go back to that gameplay!”.

Then they released those population numbers and Halo 4 was the most popular of the single-game playlists 🤔

Juan

This was the same thing people were hoping for with MCC. “If the classic game playlists are super populated, maybe they’ll see we want more and go back to that gameplay!”.

Then they released those population numbers and Halo 4 was the most popular of the single-game playlists 🤔

Actually, Halo 4 playlist on the MCC is the most fun I ever had in a Halo game, since it's the patched version of Halo 4 with no armor abilities, 4sk BR, lowered sprint with higher base movement speed and other balance improvements.

No surprise it may have been on top on the MCC for some times.

jem0208

Actually, Halo 4 playlist on the MCC is the most fun I ever had in a Halo game, since it's the patched version of Halo 4 with no armor abilities, 4sk BR, lowered sprint with higher base movement speed and other balance improvements.

No surprise it may have been on top on the MCC for some times.
Halo 4 Legendary is really decent.

If it had more good maps it would have been really good imo.

Karl2177

??

I was under the impression that the higher the playlist was on the list, the higher the population was.

wwm0nkey

Since DOOM was mentioned, I would just like to say that if the MP wasn't a loadout shooter or at least had classic options, I would play that shit alllllll day

Could have been one of the better arena shooters this gen

I'm going to try to break this to you gently...

Sprint ain't going no where.
I'm not one you need to break it gently to lol, I'm fine either way. Even though my preference would be without sprint, I don't really see them removing it either.

On one hand though I could see it since I don't think the backlash would be that big if marketed properly. A "return to roots" with more streamlined gameplay etc. is all it'd take for gaming press to eat that up.
I get that people are crazy passionate about stuff but this reads like bait.gif
Ghaleon's trigger finger is itching right how. He's preparing for the leaks too.
??

I was under the impression that the higher the playlist was on the list, the higher the population was.
Correct. I don't know where Donut saw Halo 4 the most popular, but I don't think it's accurate.

Juan

Halo 4 Legendary is really decent.

If it had more good maps it would have been really good imo.

Legendary. Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of the gametype added with the latest patch turning off the abilities.

Since DOOM was mentioned, I would just like to say that if the MP wasn't a loadout shooter or at least had classic options, I would play that shit alllllll day

Since Bethesda gave the Season Pass, and now, all the weapons and options are available for free, I really don't mind the loadout system, since all weapons are actually pretty balanced and useful, and there are still power weapons and power-up on the map at specific time.

It is, for me, the best arena shooter we got on this gen, bringing the fast pace from Unreal & cie on console with excellent control scheme.

I play a lot of DOOM on my Xbox when I have time friends, enough to wondering if I will buy it again on Switch to play it when I'll out in the wild!

I like base H5 gameplay. H6 can be the same, just have more maps & gametypes(good ones), real btb, forge, and no blank melees at LAUNCH.

maybe im stupid [i probably am], but what is a blank melee?

honestly the only thing holding me back from playing DOOM MP any more is the art direction, the hell-scapes just make my brain sad too quickly. :/

Welfare

Correct. I don't know where Donut saw Halo 4 the most popular, but I don't think it's accurate.

343 used to release which playlist was the most popular for MCC in the weekly updates. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-community-update-7-25-15

Playlist Popularity, Ordered by Population
(7.17 - 7.20)
Big Team Battle
Team Slayer
Halo 4
Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Halo 3
Team Doubles
Halo 2: Anniversary
Halo 2 Classic
Halo: CE
HCS
Rumble Pit
Team Hardcore

Hmm, how consistent was that? I can't recall Halo 4 being that high for long, but I could be wrong.

And plus, let's not kid ourselves into thinking BTB and TS aren't Halo 3 playlists lol. TMCC is essentially The Halo 3 Collection since it's played in like ~9 playlists.

Trup1aya

I imagine that Doom mp would have been a big hit if it launched with a classic formula. They too fell for the same "we need modernized mechanics". The classic style SP was championed and the MP was quickly forgotten.

Juan

I imagine that Doom mp would have been a big hit if it launched with a classic formula. They too fell for the same "we need modernized mechanics". The classic style SP was championed and the MP was quickly forgotten.

To be fair, it was more because you could only play with 4 weapons at launch (Rocket, Shotgun classic, Shotgun heavy, Plasma rifle), and if you didn't buy the season pass, every weapon were usable by the opponent but not you.

It is still classic at its core, and now everyone can access all the weapons, it's almost perfect imo.

Trup1aya

yup, just increase base movement speed 15% or so, make maps tighter, BTB pistol starts, 91 metacritic guaranteed! ;p

but yeah, it's mostly psychological.

you give me a sprint option, you better believe i'm going to feel safest crossing open space while sprinting.

if the option weren't there, it wouldn't feel that way.

i thought i'd experience this playing the h3 throwback, but no, base movement is so slow that it just doesn't work.

It would have been good if they used the h3 mlg player traits in the h3 playlist. It wouldn't be as jarring as going from h5 speed to h3. It probably wwould have been better balanced against the h5 sandbox too

yea dude is a POS, but he's learned his lesson it seems.

I hate some sentiments. Sickening really, but the kid has really solid map skills and fundamentals. Tons of talent

https://youtu.be/__mDGYZgd4Y

Trup1aya

To be fair, it was more because you could only play with 4 weapons at launch (Rocket, Shotgun classic, Shotgun heavy, Plasma rifle), and if you didn't buy the season pass, every weapon were usable by the opponent but not you.

It is still classic at its core, and now everyone can access all the weapons, it's almost perfect imo

I think loadouts, weapons locked behind season passes, demons and hack modules are major steps in the "not classic mp" direction.

I understand they made some improvements and additions- that's cool. But much like h4 it was a little late for that.

Nowise10

NO ONE AT 343 DESERVES THEIR JOB

Hi, I haven't conversed in this community for basically years, please listen when I say FUCK 343 AND ALL THE ASSHOLES WHO DONT DESERVE TO WORK THERE BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY RUINED MY LIFE!

Am I doing it right? Also, at least a few of us will be on tonight. Ya'll should join us.

Juan

I think loadouts, weapons locked behind season passes, demons and hack modules are major steps in the "not classic mp" direction.

I understand they made some improvements and additions- that's cool. But much like h4 it was a little late for that.

Tbh, I don't see how demons aren't "classic", as I see them as basic power weapon available on map. And hack modules don't change anything actually, like, one module make so I can see the health of my opponent with a UI health bar. That doesn't really change the gameplay in an unfair like (like Halo 4 could do at first).

Sure, it's different from the old DOOM MP, but I don't feel it is that different compared to what Halo 5 gave us about the classic Halo formula.

But to be honest, I'm not sure DOOM MP would have succeeded even without weapons locked behind season pass or anything else. It's just too simple, gameplay wise, for the gaming crowd nowadays.

Bungie were really garbage at their own game, making it appealing for a casual crowd since they worked on making the gameplay accessible, I don't how developers being not-so-good at their own game really change something tbh. 🤔

Talents

Banned
Hi, I haven't conversed in this community for basically years, please listen when I say FUCK 343 AND ALL THE ASSHOLES WHO DONT DESERVE TO WORK THERE BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY RUINED MY LIFE!

Am I doing it right? Also, at least a few of us will be on tonight. Ya'll should join us.

I still love you baby cakes xox

Trup1aya

Tbh, I don't see how demons aren't "classic", as I see them as basic power weapon available on map. And hack modules don't change anything actually, like, one module make so I can see the health of my opponent with a UI health bar. That doesn't really change the gameplay in an unfair like (like Halo 4 could do at first).

Sure, it's different from the old DOOM MP, but I don't feel it is that different compared to what Halo 5 gave us about the classic Halo formula.

But to be honest, I'm not sure DOOM MP would have succeeded even without weapons locked behind season pass or anything else. It's just too simple, gameplay wise, for the gaming crowd nowadays.

Allowing players to turn into a completely different random character model, with completely different animations abilities, DPS, speed, etc is very different from classic doom - where you just pickup weapons health and shoot people.

Perks that grant the ability to see weapon timers, see the location of enemies, pickup weapons from further away than everyone else, run faster when shot, spawn with full armor, have infinite ammo, wallhack and view health info that no one else has etc, is also very different from classic halo.

DOOM mp launched about as far from classic Doom as Halo 4 as from classic halo. It was "modern shooter" in a doom skin.

The reason we aren't sure the market would respond to a simple shooter is because no one is making them. What we can be sure of that the classic feel of DOOM SP was well recieved, and many relented the fact that feeling didn't carry over to MP.

Juan

DOOM mp launched about as far from classic Doom as Halo 4 as from classic halo. It was "modern shooter" in a dorm skin.

The reason we aren't sure the market would respond to a simple shooter is because no one is making them. What we can be sure of that the classic feel of DOOM SP was well recieved, and many relented the fact that feeling didn't carry over to MP.

And DOOM classic didn't have Y-axis for aiming also. Does it mean classic DOOM for our era shouldn't have verticality as well?

I definitely disagree on the last part since the DOOM MP is really really simple compared to anything modern on the market right now.

Trup1aya

And DOOM classic didn't have Y-axis for aiming also. Does it mean classic DOOM for our era shouldn't have verticality as well?

I definitely disagree on the last part since the DOOM MP is really really simple compared to anything modern on the market right now.

That's just being flippant. Y-axis aiming expanded on a limitation. Demons are a frivolous mechanical addition.

Doom MP had all the same trappings of a modern shooter. Loadout, weapons locked behind XP grinding, perks/streaks.

Even with the changes the loadout system stifles balance and map movement and the demons are a massive departure

Wedzi

Banned
I'm pretty sure Frankie said that they're pretty happy with the abilities and movement of Halo 5 and will continue with such so I don't expect that big of a change.

But really I'm hoping Halo 6 is a huge leap in any direction don't really care which at this point lol

image.php

this avatar is only getting more relevant with time

Top Bottom