• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Something just hit me: my old pitch for a revised Didact boss ended up being really similar to Sonic Mania's
Metal Sonic
fight. link

Some parallels:

- You're fighting what amounts to an arch-nemesis

- The actual playspace is a "closed loop" of sorts, which forces you to manage both movement and your resources (just replace rings with ammo, in chief's case)

- The boss is in a fixed location and you have to utilize the environment in order to damage them

- In addition to spawning minions, the boss will also occasionally fire additional projectiles / environmental hazards at you (although Metal Sonic is the projectile sometimes)

- The boss is normally invulnerable and requires the player to do context-sensitive stuff in order to get to the vulnerable phase (yes, I know, this is literally every boss ever)

civil_war.gif

Feels like we get to use this every month, no?

belushy

Banned
So, halo esports announcement tomorrow (I believe). Anyone wanna speculate?

I don't think its MLG, but I wouldn't mind if it was them.

I do know they were recently posting about looking to hire an Events Manager.

Could mean they are looking to run something themselves, and without a third party. Though the job description mentions helping out partner organizers...

edit:

343 just released a great HCS Retrospective of Dreamhack Atlanta. Narrated by Bravo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgrEE2cD3w&feature=youtu.be

Something just hit me: my old pitch for a revised Didact boss ended up being really similar to Sonic Mania's
Metal Sonic
fight. link

Some parallels:

- You're fighting what amounts to an arch-nemesis

- The actual playspace is a "closed loop" of sorts, which forces you to manage both movement and your resources (just replace rings with ammo, in chief's case)

- The boss is in a fixed location and you have to utilize the environment in order to damage them

- In addition to spawning minions, the boss will also occasionally fire additional projectiles / environmental hazards at you (although Metal Sonic is the projectile sometimes)

- The boss is normally invulnerable and requires the player to do context-sensitive stuff in order to get to the vulnerable phase (yes, I know, this is literally every boss ever)

I mean, none of those are novel at all, even in combination. Constrained arenas with limited resources are usually how boss battles work, or how most levels work in general.

That's not to say your idea isn't good though. The QTE was pretty silly. Tartarus was annoying, but at least I actually remember it. Halo 4's ending is just a blur. All I remember is life size Cortana and then the Chief repeating that line to Lasky: "She said that to me once... okay, it was like two days ago in universe and like an hour ago for players, but still...about being a machine"

EDIT: Also, why did you choose Unreal over Unity? Just curious.

Fuchsdh

Chief of Staff at 343 (I had to look it up.)

Also, germane bit from Waypoint seems to be this:

Join us on October 17 at 4PM PT on mixer.com/halo and twitch.tv/halo, as we reveal more about the 2018 Halo World Championship live from the Halo HQ in Redmond, Washington. Even more is in store for the stream - with a first look at some small surprises coming to Halo 5: Guardians this fall.

I mean, none of those are novel at all, even in combination. Constrained arenas with limited resources are usually how boss battles work, or how most levels work in general.

That's not to say your idea isn't good though. The QTE was pretty silly. Tartarus was annoying, but at least I actually remember it. Halo 4's ending is just a blur. All I remember is life size Cortana and then the Chief repeating that line to Lasky: "She said that to me once... okay, it was like two days ago in universe and like an hour ago for players, but still...about being a machine"

EDIT: Also, why did you choose Unreal over Unity? Just curious.

UE4 has a ton of documentation (mostly in the form of its own Q&A forums), it's got the Blueprint visual scripting component (my programming knowledge is some very limited HTML5/CSS/JSON/C#), and it's primarily designed for networked multiplayer-based FPSes, so it was just a natural fit at the time.

wwm0nkey

UE4 has a ton of documentation (mostly in the form of its own Q&A forums), it's got the Blueprint visual scripting component (my programming knowledge is some very limited HTML5/CSS/JSON/C#), and it's primarily designed for networked multiplayer-based FPSes, so it was just a natural fit at the time.

I still can just not adjust to Blueprint, started using C++ in UE4, but I loved my managed languages (C#) too much to make the switch from Unity. Really hope UE4 adds support for C# some day so I can get some sweet hot loading action in that engine lol

But yeah if I was to ever do a networked game, I would probably avoid Unity, got some PTSD with UNet on my first ever project for work hahaha

I'm still gobsmacked we're 2.5 months out from the end of this year, Scorpio launched and if Halo 6 is coming next year that we haven't seen shit yet. Nada, zip, zero...fucker better come out next year. I'm getting thirsty for it :)

I really hope they have DLC for campaign like Destiny/strikes/raids/loot etc. They and we get far more out of the engine over 1-2 years, add on sales, DLC premiums etc. All while REQs can be sold etc.

IMO the story has to tie together waaay more than the leap from H4 to H5, what disparate games they were. Trilogy...nope. Saga...not really. They're just outright two separate games. The setup at the end of H5 lends itself to a direct follow on story for H6, which is at least a better expectation to have at this point.

I'm still gobsmacked we're 2.5 months out from the end of this year, Scorpio launched and if Halo 6 is coming next year that we haven't seen shit yet. Nada, zip, zero...fucker better come out next year. I'm getting thirsty for it :)

I really hope they have DLC for campaign like Destiny/strikes/raids/loot etc. They and we get far more out of the engine over 1-2 years, add on sales, DLC premiums etc. All while REQs can be sold etc.

IMO the story has to tie together waaay more than the leap from H4 to H5, what disparate games they were. Trilogy...nope. Saga...not really. They're just outright two separate games. The setup at the end of H5 lends itself to a direct follow on story for H6, which is at least a better expectation to have at this point.

God I wish. It's legit depressing waiting 3 years to see one of my fav universes merely inch forward. I remember when the Guardians subtitle was announced that a few suggested we might be getting a saga of Halo 5 games. Such a shame those wishes never came to fruition.

Trup1aya

Halo 6 tournament with beta in December. Believe.

Haha

Could mean they are looking to run something themselves, and without a third party. Though the job description mentions helping out partner organizers...

edit:

343 just released a great HCS Retrospective of Dreamhack Atlanta. Narrated by Bravo.

I doubt it's MLG. Apparently Naded heard it will be UMG. I think MLG would be great, but as long as someone can use an MLG like format and have decent presentation, I'd be happy.

That retrospective was easily the best HCS produced content yes. I'm getting excited. Tashi is constantly posting in Team Beyond now, the production staff are dropping great content. EU has already shifted to a great structure. We are getting More info today. And Dreamhack is this weekend!

I'm still weary about what balancing conclusions they've come to after the test. Other than that I'm pretty happy.

Talents posting again

what is this, 2009?

Also someone here made 5 other people download WWE16 and then broke the news that indeed it was pointless actually downloading said game.

I wont name names.

k42zyruJ.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hope they publish an article detailing halo 5 updates with media, I don't want to rely on the often times spotty quality of a twitch/mixer stream.

edit:

That video was great, 343 need to do more of that. Thats a good step in the right direction.

wwm0nkey

Any guesses on what the Halo 5 tidbits will be? I can't imagine it'll be any new content because that would be silly

XBO X update and maybe the Brute DLC that they have been sitting on for a long while now

Though I assume if they add Brute stuff, the PC version of Halo 5 will also be getting an update too

EDIT: Also if you have a MS store near you, remember that Halo VR demo should be there soon since the Mixed Reality stuff hit today

XBO X update and maybe the Brute DLC that they have been sitting on for a long while now

Though I assume if they add Brute stuff, the PC version of Halo 5 will also be getting an update too

EDIT: Also if you have a MS store near you, remember that Halo VR demo should be there soon since the Mixed Reality stuff hit today

Gonna go check that out this weekend, probably.

wwm0nkey

Oh so I looked up some comments, no new REQs or maps in the fall update, but there is some cool stuff in the update regardless. hmmmmmmmmmm

wwm0nkey

Ske7ch also said we might finally have an answer to if MCC will ever get another patch or not, so that's something at least

*Stalking his reddit

Top Bottom