• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Juan

So are we attacking each other now since there is nothing to talk about regarding Halo 5? Because I can do great at this game. 🤔

Rather not work for a company that ruined my favorite franchise and shit talks fans on Twitter lul.

Plus if you say anything bad about the company the snowflakes at 343 fire you apparently so no thanks.

i strongly dislike people like you.

343, ya do better every time, just keep it up brahs.

<3

I'm pretty sure Frankie said that they're pretty happy with the abilities and movement of Halo 5 and will continue with such so I don't expect that big of a change.

But really I'm hoping Halo 6 is a huge leap in any direction don't really care which at this point lol

Halo 5's core MP is a thing that would be refined and tuned in the future, not rebooted, reinvented or reset. That doesn't preclude any number of improvements, additions or completely new modes and methods of play, but the team does recognize the core strengths, advantages and extensibility of the current MP tune.

It's elementary.

As much as I'd like to see them go back to OG gameplay, it'll be super interesting to see what they can evolve and polish out of Halo 5. Take the strengths, evaluate weaknesses in gameplay loop + surrounding systems, and dial everything up to 11. A Titanfall 1 to Titanfall 2-esque leap.

Plus would mean they could port over a lot of Halo 5's content from the get-go. If Halo 6 launches with 10+ new maps, and a handful of Halo 5's (which had 21 arena, and 6 Warzone maps + remixes) that would make for an incredibly content-rich game.

Trup1aya

So are we attacking each other now since there is nothing to talk about regarding Halo 5? Because I can do great at this game. &#129300;

Me? I wasn't trying to attack you. Sorry if I came of that way. I was Just saying it wasn't constructive to compare an objective improvement to dooms aiming system to adding a powerup that morphs players into a loadout selected, raging beast that can soak up tons of damage and devour opponents in 1 hit.

Titanfall 2 was a step back from Titanfall

You think so? I definitely felt a few things were paired back (for better and worse) but on the whole the sequel offered a far more gratifying experience, with significantly more longevity, than the original. Respawn well and truly dialed everything up to 11 - though much of that has been through the post-launch.

Juan

Me? I wasn't trying to attack you. Sorry if I came of that way. I was Just saying it wasn't constructive to compare an objective improvement to dooms aiming system to adding a powerup that morphs players into a loadout selected, raging beast that can soak up tons of damage and devour opponents in 1 hit.

No no, I wasn't targeting you Trup, I always appreciate your point of view and your argument (I hadn't much to add after your answer about DOOM btw). Don't worry, stay as you are and as your write, it's always interesting and appreciated. :)

I was just referencing to the message targeting the one called Talent, I felt it was like beating a dead horse.

Titanfall 2 was a step back from Titanfall

Yep. The campaign was fantastic, but I absolutely can't tell why, the multiplayer feel off to me compared to the fun I had with the first Titanfall. Can't put my finger on why I feel like this btw. What about you?

But so did Halo 5 to me compared to Halo 4.

Plus would mean they could port over a lot of Halo 5's content from the get-go. If Halo 6 launches with 10+ new maps, and a handful of Halo 5's (which had 21 arena, and 6 Warzone maps + remixes) that would make for an incredibly content-rich game.

That's something I'm really curious about with this generation.

With Destiny, we saw they could use exactly the same assets, or at least very similar, from one game to another, the engine being mostly modified for the lighting and other stuff, but the BSP (3D Geometry) and texturing techniques seem really similar from one game to another, so why don't they port their content from one game to another

Masterz, if you come around, I'm done with the review, posting it today. :)

That's something I'm really curious about with this generation.

With Destiny, we saw they could use exactly the same assets, or at least very similar, from one game to another, the engine being mostly modified for the lighting and other stuff, but the BSP (3D Geometry) and texturing techniques seem really similar from one game to another, so why don't they port their content from one game to another

Masterz, if you come around, I'm done with the review, posting it today. :)

Titanfall 2 did it I believe, bringing old favorites back. Worked great.

In regards to Destiny, I may be totally off-base as I have yet to wet my toes in the series, but I would confidently bet on past crucible maps returning via ports into Destiny 2. And just you watch them be gated behind expansions and paid DLC, effectively making you repurchase Destiny 1 content.

FyreWulff

Titanfall 2 did it I believe, bringing old favorites back. Worked great.

In regards to Destiny, I may be totally off-base as I have yet to wet my toes in the series, but I would confidently bet on past crucible maps returning via ports into Destiny 2. And just you watch them be gated behind expansions and paid DLC, effectively making you repurchase Destiny 1 content.

It just happened, they released a remake of Shores of Time from D1 for D2 with the Iron Banner update. For free.

They also made all of the previous expansion maps in Destiny 1 free when the next expansion came out. The only maps you have to pay money for in Destiny 1 right now are the final few Rise of Iron maps. All of the Dark Below / House of Wolves / Taken King maps are available to the entire playerbase, even if they own zero DLC.

Juan

It just happened, they released a remake of Shores of Time from D1 for D2 with the Iron Banner update. For free.

Hmmm, I doubt about the bolded part.

I would not say it's free, just it was locked on-disc, and unlocked at a specific date, the same way the Raid is already here, but locked until Bungie decide to unlock it.

I would not compare this to, for example, Cold Storage from Halo 3 which was a truly free dlc.

FyreWulff

Hmmm, I doubt about the bolded part.

I would not say it's free, just it was locked on-disc, and unlocked at a specific date, the same way the Raid is already here, but locked until Bungie decide to unlock it.

I would not compare this to, for example, Cold Storage from Halo 3 which was a truly free dlc.

Cold Storage was linked to the Legendary Map Pack to even use it in matchmaking so it actually was only free for customs, if we're gonna be getting pedantic here.

Even if it were on the disc and just time unlocked, Destiny 2 has more Crucible maps for Vanilla than Destiny 1 now.

Juan

Even if it were on the disc and just time unlocked, Destiny 2 has more Crucible maps for Vanilla than Destiny 1 now.

Are you sure? Aren't there the same number?

Destiny 1 multiplayers maps
Destiny 2 multiplayers maps

Anyway, not arguing here, I don't mind, I actually like the idea of unlocking maps tied to modes to give some variety, I just think it's not really fair to call them "added for free", since they were just locked.

Really? Wasn't it just for Halo 2 Anniversary MP?

Dude I really didn't play with vehicles in Halo 5 at all I guess...

Or open any REQ packs ever, or just generally pay attention at all.

There are also weapon and vehicle variants with different colors that function differently.

f9e.gif

There are also weapon and vehicle variants with different colors that function differently.

f9e.gif

Excuse me sir, I have strong opinions about this game. Just because I don't have knowledge of its basic functionality or its core content and dlc delivery systems doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. I'm busy spending my time in a thread dedicated to said game, thank you very much.

Juan

Excuse me sir, I have strong opinions about this game. Just because I don't have knowledge of its basic functionality or its core content and dlc delivery systems doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. I'm busy spending my time in a thread dedicated to said game, thank you very much.

What a disappointing answer. That's really petty of you.

How's the mongoose on this game because it was a beast in Halo 4.

Well, there are gungooses now which shoot grenades in Warzone that can one-hit kill if both of the grenades hit. They are not very good relatively just because there are way better vehicles available and there are a ton of power weapons floating around Warzone in general.

In not-Warzone, the 'geese are not that great. I think you are harder to kill as a driver this time around, but splatters are super hard since everyone has thruster in addition to sprint.

Juan

f9e.gif

So, that's not mongooses? How opening a pack would gameplay wise told me there is gun on a mongoose? The text isn't really efficient. And You don't get to play with the pack open as soon as you open it as much as I remember. And since I didn't go to Warzone very much...

That is just ridiculous how people on a community thread can be so mean because you forget about one detail when you played a game almost entirely on playlist not featuring vehicles. Such a good way to go guys.

So, that's not mongooses? How opening a pack would gameplay wise told me there is gun on a mongoose? The text isn't really efficient. And You don't get to play with the pack open as soon as you open it as much as I remember. And since I didn't go to Warzone very much...

That is just ridiculous how people on a community thread can be so mean because you forget about one detail when you played a game almost entirely on playlist not featuring vehicles. Such a good way to go guys.

I mean, not to pile on, but they're LITERALLY called Gungoose on the card. Like, they are named specifically that way.

And you are taking this far more personally than you need to. It's ExWife's and Prinz's shtick at this point.

I mean, not to pile on, but they're LITERALLY called Gungoose on the card. Like, they are named specifically that way.

And you are taking this far more personally than you need to. It's ExWife's and Prinz's shtick at this point.

Also, the cards have pictures and descriptions.

Also, there are common and uncommon variants so they are likely to be some of the very first things you unlock.

Karl2177

Speaking of which, is it just me or does the ONI gungoose weapon kind of suck? I'd rather have the normal projectiles, and just have them fire faster or be more lethal or something.

Bounce that shit off the walls when you're trying to destroy their core. Otherwise, yeah, they're pretty pointless.

It would not be notable except you waltz into the thread all the time with deliberately contrarian views on the game compared to veteran players, when it's apparent to me you don't really know what you're talking about. You evidently don't pay attention even when you do play the game.

This Gungoose thing just illustrates to me that you must put in an effort into remaining ignorant about Halo relative to how much you've played it. Let's unpack that:

According to your profile, you played Warzone 94 times. It's one of the most common vehicles in Warzone, and literally the first and least expensive armed vehicle you have access to. You simply have to be transcendentally oblivious to not notice it over that length of time.

You played Warzone last about a month ago, on September 19th. I wonder if anyone used a gungoose in that game? (Note that the Waypoint "weapons used" list has a picture of a Gungoose labelled as "Mongoose," but that given any actual kill with a Mongoose should be a splatter, we can tell what's an actual Gungoose kill.)

---- your team ----
PLAZMABURN101- 2 Kills
JELLYorJAM780- 2 Kills
---- other team ----
kill t long - 2 kills
JosshhyC- 1 kill, may be a splatter
SeocityHun88- 6 kills (wow!)

Players on different teams got a total of at least 12 kills in that game with the Gungoose. How did you not notice? Was your little cousin playing on your account? What about your other 93 games? What about the 11 "Mongoose" kills from your service record, or were those all splatters?

One the interface: it's not confusing if you've ever used it. Sure, the Gungeese and Mongeese look pretty similar, but have a different name. Okay, so maybe the localization you're playing on has something less obvious than GUN in the name. However, they stack separately if you've ever looked at your REQs in a game (any of the 94 that you played)... or between games... or on Waypoint... Did you never look at them, or as a trained UX designer did you deliberately ignore that sorting?

Ah yes, the confusing description text. Hm, about that (assuming any localization didn't butcher it somehow):
Link:http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Prinz%20Eugn/screenshot/7510414

And that's ignoring just general information sources like screenshots, mentions in threads, on other sites, etc. that would have revealed this decidedly not-secret vehicle in the ramp-up to release, or in subsequent two years the game has been out.

Trup1aya

Speaking of which, is it just me or does the ONI gungoose weapon kind of suck? I'd rather have the normal projectiles, and just have them fire faster or be more lethal or something.

In a logical world, the oni gungoose Projectile behavior would be for the standard gungoose. And the upgraded gungoose would have the short fuse.

I actually like the gungoose concept better when it had a machine gun.

Yep, along with the Wasp one of times the ONI version is worse.

EDIT: It's a neat concept but poorly executed. Bouncing is a bad idea on something so hard to aim in the first place, you need opportunity to line up trick shots to make something like that fun.

"So are we attacking each other now since there is nothing to talk about regarding Halo 5? Because I can do great at this game."
--- Prinz Eugn, probably.

Chittagong

Gold Member
(steps into thread for the first time in a while)

What on earth is even going on in here? :D

On a more positive note, who’s excited for Halo 5 MP in 4K? Just over two weeks now I’m getting super hyped! I hope they will support Dolby Atmos one day too, the jungle demo sounds ridiculously amazing on my existing surround setup.

On a more positive note, who’s excited for Halo 5 MP in 4K? Just over two weeks now I’m getting super hyped! I hope they will support Dolby Atmos one day too, the jungle demo sounds ridiculously amazing on my existing surround setup.

I am super hyped but in the middle of moving country for the second time in three months so probably won't be able to get an X + 4K monitor/TV until early next year. Will be the first game I try for sure!

nillapuddin

whaaaaaat is up neogaf this is your boy nillapuddin6 - 2 - 6, with another drive by shit post
I read in the comments last week that this game and company are shitty so I wanted to make a new post describing why that isnt true *7 minutes of nonsense*

Anyways, thanks for reading everyone, dont forget to quote, subscribe and SMASH that ignore button. I will catch you guys next timeeeee

Nebula

I was more interested in the splattering side of the mongoose but hearing that there's a large supply of power weapons isn't all that good.

Halo 4 still carry a decent population?

Fuchsdh

whaaaaaat is up neogaf this is your boy nillapuddin6 - 2 - 6, with another drive by shit post
I read in the comments last week that this game and company are shitty so I wanted to make a new post describing why that isnt true *7 minutes of nonsense*

Anyways, thanks for reading everyone, dont forget to quote, subscribe and SMASH that ignore button. I will catch you guys next timeeeee

The debate that will rage until the end of time: whether Twitch streamers or Youtubers are more insufferable and hard to watch. *loud donation noise*

Last night I suggested we (exwife and prinz) play more MCC.

I think I will!

I mean, I'm down. I play Friday + Saturday nights only these days.

I actually bought a 4K TV for 4K gaming eventually but I don't think I'll bite on an S for a while yet. Too bad Halo 6 is so far off.

Top Bottom