• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casanova

Ok I'm gonna do this right:

Campaign overall: Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo ODST
Story: Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 1 > Halo 4 > Halo Reach & Halo ODST
Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo 4
Maps: Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>> Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo 4

Nailed it.

I kinda thought Halo 3 multiplayer was terrible. Too much silly nonsense like bubble shields that got in the way of actual gun fights. Hit detection was off too.

Booshka

I kinda thought Halo 3 multiplayer was terrible. Too much silly nonsense like bubble shields that got in the way of actual gun fights.

Equipment were poorly implemented gimmicks that cheapened the core of Halo MP gameplay, that is for sure. Those equipment gimmicks then morphed into player armor abilities and the series was fully transformed into a bastardization of what made Halo distinctly Halo.

Who knows whats next in store for this series as they grasp for some sort of identity, while still remaining "fresh" to reviewers and people looking to play something other than CoD.

Andodalf

Banned
I can think of no other franchise with lists so deviceive. It seems people have arguments for every game being the best but wars.

Edit: final Fantasy has some good lists.

MW1 > MW2 > BlOps > BlOps 2 > WaW > MW3 > Ghosts > Halo 4

aQF63L0.jpg

This is every Halo fan
giphy.gif

Haha exactly how I feel. I honestly thought Halo 2 had some amazing ideas for campaign that weren't executed properly or at all. Halo 3 although better than 2 and had some good parts didn't have high enough IQ for my taste in the times of COD4 and some excellent next gen games starting to come out. Sure some of the areas were big/impressive but graphically it looked like a beautiful poo.

ODST for me had a great world and I simply loved exploring it and Reach? Well it had the perfect balance between Halo 4 and Halo 3 IMO. Some lovely open areas but was still directed and focused with the animations/graphics/overall IQ.

Filaipus

Banned
Actually, what was wrong with Halo Wars? It's probably the best console RTS there is, and it has a nice Rock/Paper/Scissor system. I don't get the hate.

Ran Ran

Halo 3 maps over halo 2 maps, the faq?!?!?!

Lockdown, Midship, Sanctuary, Beaver Creek, Ivory Tower and Warlock

vs.

Construct, Guardian, Heretic (Remake from 2 but still awesome), The Pit, Narrows, Onslaught, and
Snowbound....just kidding

I'd say they are pretty even. I agree that Halo 2 is better though.

Chettlar

Banned
Okay, this is getting weird.

In the last two weeks, I've independently run into three separate individuals (two girls one guy) at parties or at work who have casually mentioned that they play Halo. I haven't played H4 since early 2013 so I ask "Wow really, I don't hear that often these days... do you play Halo 4?".

"No, Reach."

I literally could have made this post myself.

Chettlar

Banned
Arbiter stuff which at the time I absolutely hated, terrible pacing and probably the worst ending I remember in a video game.

I actually preferred the Arbiter sections because they allowed me to bypass a lot of the bad stuff while also allowing me to play around with the AI a little bit both because of the Active Camo. Still bad, but bearable. I was expecting a lot worse. Actually the whole campaign made me expect a lot worse. I was like "Ok, I'm going through this and...I mean, it's pretty fun I guess. Not sure why everybody hates it." Then I finished it and went and played CE all the way through and then 3 on Legendary co-op... Then I went back and played Halo 2 on Heroic...Ok, yeah, now I know.

I can't understand why people liked Delta Halo. Just as linear as the other ones. Oh yay, a tank. More linear than the Reach tank section. And it's got tons of Jack snipers. The level right after that is even worse. There's literally like 10 with beam rifles when you exit the little room where the prophet's hologram just was.

Also Legendary in Halo 2 is awful and unfun. I did it, and by myself too on account of trying to get the legendary achievement on PC (if I'm going to do it, might as well have something to show for my pains), but man, I am NOT doing that again. Don't know that I even want to play the game again at all.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I kinda like how difficult and cheap the AI was in Halo 2. I wish Legendary was always that challenging

Is it even possible to beat it on legendary? I have always wondered this, had anyone here did it?. Halo 2 and Gears on hardest difficulty, I have found it unbeatable in solo. Absolutely unbeatable according to me.

Is it even possible to beat it on legendary? I have always wondered this, had anyone here did it?. Halo 2 and Gears on hardest difficulty, I have found it unbeatable in solo. Absolutely unbeatable according to me.

Plasma Pistol + BR will get you through in less than 10 hours. That and a little memorization/repetition is really all you need. Once you know what spawns where and when, you just need to deal with them swiftly. I don't like to skip enemies though and the noob combo takes away most of the challenge, so I usually go on for longer than that.

The hangar section in the first playable level, the one where groups of elites just keep coming - that was extremely difficult. The rest was not so bad. Well, that fight on the stairs was also a bitch.

But I finished the PC version, with a mouse and a keyboard. Maybe it was harder on Xbox.

Gears, though, I couldn't even kill Raam on hardcore. I mean, I probably would have, had I kept on going, but after a few days of trying, I just decided I had better use for my time, so I dropped the difficulty to casual and beat him on the first go.

I did manage to kill him on hardcore in the PC version, however, also playing with the 360 controller.

Oh, and as far as campaigns go, Halo = Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo Reach > Halo 2 > ODST

Halo Wars and Spartan Assault are still waiting to be played.

Archpath1

Idk i always found h2 maps more enjoyable across most modes, it had awesome BtB maps too, that's where i spent most of my time
H3 was ok to me, but it focused more on small team stuff since it was blowing up mlg charts

cluto

Ok

Edit:

Imagine being told that you were responsible for creating a huge and diverse team from scratch, take over one of gamings largest and most iconic franchises from one of the most beloved developers in the industry in a space of about three years and create the sequel to a 5 year old game...Most of the team had never made a Halo game before, they had to learn the technology, art, lore and how to function together as a rapidly expanding team within that time span... All on ancient hardware...

Fucking good first attempt.
It's not like they were trying to make a AAA game from scratch. Bungie figured out a great, working gameplay formula back in 2001, as well as a framework for a universe, its characters, settings, and its stories. 343 had ten years of Halo games to cull ideas from, ~4 years of dev time, a team of industry veterans, and a massive budget behind them. All those developers have been in situations where they have to make a game with people they've never worked with before -- that happens all the time in the games industry -- developers are always moving around to different teams and studios. Learning new tools is part of the job; your knowledge and experience as a game designer is what will translate regardless of the studio, hardware, or tools.

The biggest reason I disagree with your argument is because they built a very traditional Halo game at some point in development (that people genuinely liked), became confident in their abilities, and then decided to scrap it to do something different. Which means they were on the right path, but consciously decided to veer off from it. They knew what worked, they knew what people liked, but they wanted to do their own thing to appeal to a larger audience. Strinkles gets no sympathy.

HTupolev

What do you do for 500 hours?
Shoot stuff.
Enjoy the scenery.
Listen to Siege of Madrigal.
Launch hogs.
Launch off of hogs.
Launch hogs from one beach on Silent Cartographer into grunts on another beach.
Try to flip the Halo ring.
Make marines stand on each other's heads.
Make marines stand on a hunter's head.
Abuse load zones to fill an elite up with 99 needles and then watch the pink.
Betray Keyes on the PoA and try to push the invincible marines into the pit.
Stick banshees with plasma grenades.
Punch an elite until your oXbox enters PS3 Skyrim mode.
Fly a banshee on The Maw.
Shoot stuff.
Oh, and spore herding.

You know, things.

500 hours is nothing.
It's somewhat cheap in places, but doable. Aside from skipping things (Halo 2 is quite broken, hehe), lots of "very hard" areas aren't so bad if you prepare for them. For instance, the second hangar on Cairo Station can be managed if you pick up and drop a bunch of plasma pistols from the first hangar before proceeding. It keeps them from despawning, so you have plenty of available ammo to burn on the elites.

Though some areas are just plain dumb. Even using sword flying to keep things sane, the Regret fight is chaotic cheap crap.

Oddly enough, there are some areas in Halo 2 that I think are only fun on legendary. Like the labs in Oracle; boring on the lower difficulties, but their intense and oppressive atmosphere comes alive on legendary.

daedalius

Halo was the reason I owned an original Xbox and 360. I put thousands of hours into the games. I saved up for a year to buy a 360 in 2007 for Halo 3. Reach was pretty bad but we (myself and gaffers) played literally every night.

Halo 4 came out and I bought the $100 LE. Complete reversal from what made the original series so great. Last time I played it was sometime last fall. Halo's basically the only Microsoft IP I care about. So in my eyes yeah, Halo 4 was and is an absolute disaster.

such drama
very queen
wow

Completely doable. The only parts that stand out in my memory now are the jackal snipers and the early 'boss' fight.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I had the same reaction to 4.
Yep. Halo 4 was the only Halo campaign I didn't finish multiple times, and the only multiplayer Halo I didn't play for years. Quit before Christmas, never went back.

RSB

Banned
Halo 2 is the hardest game in the franchise, but yes, it's very possible. Personally, I've done it only 3 times, but the last time I tried it was much more manageable for some reason. Guess I'm just more experienced or something...

If you want to see Halo 2 getting destroyed, you should watch MisterMonopoli (he's a speedrunner) The way he handles that second hangar in Cairo is amazing.

Scrabble

I must be in the minority, because I found Halo 2 legendary much easier than Halo CE legendary. The second room in cairo is a bitch, and fuck jackal snipers, but other than that you can get through it pretty easily just using the noob combo. Halo CE legendary is the only I couldn't complete.

m23

It's definitely possible. I replayed it on legendary multiple times, even my dad beat it on legendary. Gears was pretty tough as well but yeah, that game is a lot more satisfying on the tougher difficulties.

Eoin

I must be in the minority, because I found Halo 2 legendary much easier than Halo CE legendary. The second room in cairo is a bitch, and fuck jackal snipers, but other than that you can get through it pretty easily just using the noob combo. Halo CE legendary is the only I couldn't complete.
That prophet fight though. So hard.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'll just go ahead and fix this for you.

Multiplayer: Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4
Maps: Halo 2 > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo Reach >

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Plasma Pistol + BR will get you through in less than 10 hours. That and a little memorization/repetition is really all you need. Once you know what spawns where and when, you just need to deal with them swiftly. I don't like to skip enemies though and the noob combo takes away most of the challenge, so I usually go on for longer than that.

Shoot stuff.
It's somewhat cheap in places, but doable. Aside from skipping things (Halo 2 is quite broken, hehe), lots of "very hard" areas aren't so bad if you prepare for them. For instance, the second hangar on Cairo Station can be managed if you pick up and drop a bunch of plasma pistols from the first hangar before proceeding. It keeps them from despawning, so you have plenty of available ammo to burn on the elites.

Though some areas are just plain dumb. Even using sword flying to keep things sane, the Regret fight is chaotic cheap crap.

Oddly enough, there are some areas in Halo 2 that I think are only fun on legendary. Like the labs in Oracle; boring on the lower difficulties, but their intense and oppressive atmosphere comes alive on legendary.

Completely doable. The only parts that stand out in my memory now are the jackal snipers and the early 'boss' fight.

Yep. Halo 4 was the only Halo campaign I didn't finish multiple times, and the only multiplayer Halo I didn't play for years. Quit before Christmas, never went back.

Halo 2 is the hardest game in the franchise, but yes, it's very possible. Personally, I've done it only 3 times, but the last time I tried it was much more manageable for some reason. Guess I'm just more experienced or something...

If you want to see Halo 2 getting destroyed, you should watch MisterMonopoli (he's a speedrunner) The way he handles that second hangar in Cairo is amazing.

It's definitely possible. I replayed it on legendary multiple times, even my dad beat it on legendary. Gears was pretty tough as well but yeah, that game is a lot more satisfying on the tougher difficulties.

wow you guys make me look like a noob. While I have finished all Halo games on legendary, in fact I have played mostly all shooters on legendary except Halo 2 and Gears franchise. I will give it a try again when it hits on Xbox One lol

iMax

Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo 4
Maps: Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>> Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo 4

List Wars!

Campaign overall: Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo > Halo: Reach > Halo 2
Story: Halo > Halo 3 > Halo: Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST
Multiplayer: Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo: Reach
Maps: Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo: Reach > Halo 4

Faith

See? Everyone has his personal list. Even if we all have in common that we love Halo, it's so difficult as a developer to satisfy everyone.

Faith

I just hope that the battles will be bigger. Something like the Scarabs in Halo 3. Something that huge that you say "WTF! WOW!" when you see it the first time.

Anyone think the title is kinda clumsy? I think once you go past 4 for numbered titles it doesn't look right. Something really 'fat' about the number five. Think Halo Guardians or Halo: Guardians would be better.

Feindflug

See? Everyone has his personal list. Even if we all have in common that we love Halo, it's so difficult as a developer to satisfy everyone.

In fact this shows how good the series is. There are not a lot of series that can have such a big diversion in how the fanbase rates the games.

Last year I done all the three main Halo games on legendary difficulty solo and Halo: CE is by far much harder than the other two. Some of the check points took me a hour and a half/two hours to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom