• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Launch Day Multiplayer Playlist Revealed

I think in the pre-release build-up for Halo 4, they said they wanted to skew more toward F22 Raptor than Panzer Tank, and I think they nailed that.
I personally prefer the Panzer design idea. Halo always struck me as bulky greasy Starship troopers sci-fi, not sleek like Star Wars/Trek sci-fi

Compsiox

Banned
Carter's armor is the GOAT, I remember the first time I watched Reach's opening cutscenes on that fateful September afternoon and the first thing I thought when I saw it was "That... I want that."

Luckily they brought it back for Halo 5, and it's only a Rare drop so you can get it from Silver packs too.

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

The spoils ;-;

Duji

SWAT is incredibly popular. And with the new movement and verticality, it's become something really, really different. If you use muscle memory to think about how you normally play Halo SWAT - there's a lot of locked gliding and orbiting of levels in loops. You can't do that any more.

I expect that to be an interesting learning curve.

Single shot weapons or bust. I don't like the idea of being able to kill half the Internet with a single BR burst.

I never thought it looked particularly goofy, I think chief looks way too top heavy now with the lack of lower armor. And if the reason for it not being there is because the actual metal portion of the armor is basically useless and it frees up mobility there really isn't much of a reason for the arm, shoulder, or leg armor either. Eh.

Well, like I said, it's not entirely useless. Might as well put it places where it doesn't hurt mobility.

Visually, I think that H4 (and now 5) Chief is a huge improvement, due in no small part to the lack of a silly-ass steel thong. Jetfightertank indeed.

Ramirez

I've liked pretty much everything I've seen of H5, loved the beta and look forward to playing the game proper. Just fancied dumping on 343's abject handling of the playlists in their most recent release since everyone is looking at this thread and yes I know very, very few people care :)

-------------------------------------------

The day one playlists for this game look fine. The first couple weeks are always a broad stroke and give newer players a taste of things they might otherwise neglect to try.

I didn't mean it in a mean tone. I was just curious if you were getting 5. I've thoroughly enjoyed your YT vids and dissection of the turd that is, MCC.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Single shot weapons or bust. I don't like the idea of being able to kill half the Internet with a single BR burst.

Dude, BR Swat multikills are like popping bubble wrap while Salma Hayek gives you a neck rub and Beyoncé makes you a cocktail.

I didn't mean it in a mean tone. I was just curious if you were getting 5. I've thoroughly enjoyed your YT vids and dissection of the turd that is, MCC.

Oh I know you didn't, you're a poster of consistent quality and level-headedness and I 'preciate the YT love dude. To be fair to the MCC I've had a lot of fun with it since they added snipes and Hardcore but It'll be nice to leave the game's inherent problems behind and start anew with what hopefully will be the best Halo since 3.

Mdot

Can we at least get confirmation of KOTH, Oddball and Assault available for custom games? Hopefully they work their way into the playlists, but I can't believe they're left out completely from launch.

Carter's armor is the GOAT, I remember the first time I watched Reach's opening cutscenes on that fateful September afternoon and the first thing I thought when I saw it was "That... I want that."

Luckily they brought it back for Halo 5, and it's only a Rare drop so you can get it from Silver packs too.

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

That armour is the one that I'm going to use in combination with the Mark V helmet :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Dat tie.

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

Yeah, I just like th blockyness/tank look of Fred.

Karl2177

This thread was always going to be by far the craziest. Playlists are super divisive and have caused numerous GAF civil wars over the years.

We do a lot of data driven changes and inclusions and weirdly this is one of the things that makes people mad - that they feel that large populations will "bully" the direction of the playlists, and we will make sure the popular ones are always represented, but we do want to make sure cult and niche stuff gets an airing.

We have better tools, and learned (despite BigShow's somewhat understandable refusal to believe it) a lot from the failures of H4 - but I'd also say those were more matrixed flaws than simply matchmaking content.

I've got some questions about this.

1st) How do you know when people were voting for something or against something?
2nd) How were you able to tell when people were voting for a map versus a gametype?

These were always problems that I've thought existed in Halo's voting systems since Halo 3, and they never were really addressed. Vetoing versus voting just gave a slightly wider range of options to the players. Didn't really give good data in return. I would generally vote for DMRs on Reflection before I would vote for ARs on Zealot, even though I preferred Zealot to Reflection.

Trup1aya

1st) How do you know when people were voting for something or against something?
2nd) How were you able to tell when people were voting for a map versus a gametype?

These were always problems that I've thought existed in Halo's voting systems since Halo 3, and they never were really addressed. Vetoing versus voting just gave a slightly wider range of options to the players. Didn't really give good data in return. I would generally vote for DMRs on Reflection before I would vote for ARs on Zealot, even though I preferred Zealot to Reflection.

The easiest way to interpret that data would be to assume that a veto meant people didn't like the combination of map and gametype...

This would help them figure out which combinations worked well. If a map was heavily vetoed regardless of gametype, it's a bad map.

If a gametype was heavily vetoed regardless of map, it's an unpopular gametype.

As long as they kept trying different combos, the data would be useful.

So in your case, they would know overtime that you like Zealot, but not with AR starts... They'd also eventually know if you dislike AR starts in general, or if it just doesn't work for you on that particular map.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Obviously you can't infer anything from a single match but you can easily create an algorithm that looks at inattentive lobbies, positive votes, late presses, repeat habits of individual users and trends and patterns to get excellent data about broad preferences.

I never got to play the beta but I'm excited to try breakout. I love tension in multiplayer.

The improbable comebacks. The screw ups. The glares from your team when you let them down. The celebrations when you pull one out of your backside. Fun stuff.

Reposting from the launch trailer thread:

Question: Since we saw the prophets bane featured as a legendary item in arena (public beta), does that mean the legendary weapons such as the SPNKR and M6D are also allowed in customs/arena?

Karl2177

Obviously you can't infer anything from a single match but you can easily create an algorithm that looks at inattentive lobbies, positive votes, late presses, repeat habits of individual users and trends and patterns to get excellent data about broad preferences.

What is labelled as a positive vote?

Dynasty8

What is labelled as a positive vote?

Complete assumption...but maybe a positive vote can be game types/maps that most players play through from begin till end, without quitting. That or the most popular settings and maps for custom games.

Speaking of which, I really hope something gets done to quitters. I absolutely love the fact that the veto/vote system is no longer here. I played MCC for 200 hours and only saw a quarter of the maps for each game. I just hope sore losers can man up and finish a game all the way through.

Question: Since we saw the prophets bane featured as a legendary item in arena (public beta), does that mean the legendary weapons such as the SPNKR and M6D are also allowed in customs/arena?

I feel like that would be a thing where they either went all or nothing. And if they had all the legendary/mythic items in customs don't you think that would take away from the REQ reward system? It'd be much less badass to get a legendary item after being able to use it in customs.

If it was my guess, I'd say there's a better chance that they replaced prophets bane with the regular sword, especially since we haven't seen legendary items placed in arena maps since (iirc).

I think I read somewhere that customs are out of the question, but I do hope they can be power weapons in Arena.

I feel like that would be a thing where they either went all or nothing. And if they had all the legendary/mythic items in customs don't you think that would take away from the REQ reward system? It'd be much less badass to get a legendary item after being able to use it in customs.

If it was my guess, I'd say there's a better chance that they replaced prophets bane with the regular sword, especially since we haven't seen legendary items placed in arena maps since (iirc).

I was under the impression that the legendary weapons like the prophet's bane were distinct from the other one use items/unlockables in WarZone.

It would just feel odd to not have the SPNKR in customs if we desired. Halo 1 pistol in customs sounds like a blast as well.

I understand we can't have everything, but it would be nice to have some clarification on this in particular.

This is true and a concern. I really doubt they will add any "breakout" maps as DLC as the forge community will supply those infinitely. Warzone isn't forgeable atm either.

MY prediction for the 18+ DLC is:
  • 6-8 Big Team Battle
  • 6 NEW Arena maps
  • 6 Warzone Maps

That's optimistic. More likely it will be:
6 Warzone Maps: this number has been confirmed
3 Forge canvasses: the Glacier and Space forge canvas in December + probably one new canvas next year
4 Remixes: for Fathom, Coliseum, The Rig and Plaza
Then the remaining 6ish will be divided between 4v4 and Big Team (probably one NEW arena map with remix, and four Big Team maps)

Oh. Also 9GB Day One patch inbound: http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-will-require-a-9gb-day-one-patch/

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

That armor. That helmet.

So good, it feels soo Halo. Though it would be cool to see one in the future that has the larger shoulder pad Carter sported as well.

Blues1990

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

Carter's armour surprisingly looks great in Halo 5. I hope that there are prosthetic limbs (such as Catherine's right arm) that can be unlocked in the game.

Flipyap

Damn you for pointing out the diaper thing. Never really looked at it like that.
I doubt anyone has ever looked at it like that until 343 used that exact phrasing to justify the redesign.
Pretty much every armored dork from Star Wars has been wearing plastic space briefs like those for almost 40 years and you don't see people complaining about Darth Vader's weird oversized space diaper with a coin slot. Let alone asking for a redesign to make him more "modern."

I fully support wearing space underpants on the outside. It beats running around with a plate stuck to your butt.

My brother and I used to play Doubles all the time when I was growing up (Halo 2 and Halo 3).

The mode is important to me because the majority of my time is spent in it.

Aka "What I want matters more than anyone else, so I should just curse at the devs (I didn't quote your more foul-mouthed response) until they capitulate to my every whim".

Seriously man, you won't last long here with an attitude like that J.

@343i - Things seem to be shaping up nicely. Playlists look fine for launch, and I can't say enough how having all the maps be free is a very important thing to avoid splintering the community and/or making folks that buy maps feel like they wasted their money when they don't show up in MP matches. Lots of good things happening here. Remaining cautiously optimistic!

jesus guys. There is enough fucking content to last you for the first week. Yes I get what people are complaining about, these decision are probably based on the most popular things people play on Halo MP. They have stats.

It reminds me of that Halo 4 delusion. Everyone on GAF hates but when I play MCC fucking everyone votes for Halo 4 if its in the list.

Filthy casuals. ;p

Ein Bear

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

Daaaamn this looks great. I much prefer the chunky, tankier look of the older Spartans. Can't wait to unlock this bad boy.

Zoolader

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

Halo 5: Guardians White Stripes.

Are those optional?

It's odd; playing the Battlefront beta made me more hyped for this game. It's been so long since I've played something new, and the Battlefront beta could only satiate that lust for a couple short days. The Battlefront beta kicked ass, but I'm dying to dive into a (close to ;) ) full game!

Also, I'm buying REQ packs until I unlock Linda's armor and helmet. Not really, but that's the armor I'm going with. I freaking love that helmet, just because of how ridiculous it is! Her being my favorite Spartan helps too, I guess.

Trup1aya

josh holmes answered a bunch of questions on waypoint following yesterday's news. Someone compiled them all, and I figured I'd post it here..

1. Will Ricochet come back down the line even say as a weekend social mode?
It's possible, though you are likely to see game types like Grifball and Oddball before Ricochet makes an appearance.

2. Have all the vehicles shown in Warzone / REQ Cards been all there is, or is there more vehicles planned to be in but you've only shown off a few in certain builds?
We've shown all of the base vehicles that are in the game for launch, but I don't think we've shown all of the variants available through the REQ system.

3. The reason I ask of the vehicles is because if so, it's weird that the UNSC doesn't have an aerial vehicle counterpart to either the Phaeton or Banshee.
There won't be a UNSC counterpart to the Phaeton or Banshee at launch.

4. I know that no previous Halo has launched with Team Doubles so why not use this opportunity to right that wrong with Halo 5? What was the thought process behind it's exclusion?
Quinn has spoken to our desire to have a focused set of activities in matchmaking at launch. We'll be continuing to update and expand those activities once live as part of the ongoing programming for the game, including some of the more niche experiences like Team Doubles. These will likely be featured in rotation at first and if they gain enough population, considered as persistent additions.

5. What will the Slayer playlist contain? Slayer with assault rifles and pistols, slayer with Br and pistols or both?
Starting weapons in the Slayer playlist will be AR and Magnum/Pistol.

6. Regarding the Weekend Social playlist addition, will there be more than just one playlist made available under this social banner every weekend?
Each week there will be a community vote between three different playlists, and the playlist with the most votes will be featured as the Weekend Social activity for that week.

7. Why is there no dedicated Capture the Flag playlist under the "Arena" (not the playlist Team Arena) given that CTF has always shown to be a very well supported and desired playlist?
We don't have a dedicated CTF or Team Objective playlist at launch, choosing instead to include objective modes as part of the core Team Arena playlist that features the best modes from across Arena. Currently team objective modes make up 54% of the play in Team Arena (not including Breakout, which features a neutral flag as a secondary objective). CTF and/or Team Objective are things we will likely offer as a rotational playlist and if we see strong interest from the community (consistently high population), we may graduate to a persistent playlist.

8. Can we expect to see the return of Ricochet, (Team) Regicide, Extraction, and Dominion in some form within Halo 5? Basically, is 343i interested in bringing these game-types to Halo 5?
It's unlikely that you'll see Dominion because we already have Warzone as a large-scale base capture/defend experience. The others will be considered based on community interest.

9. How long do you anticipate it being before we see an additional mode or two added to Warzone beyond the basic variant and the Base Assault variant?
We don't have plans for additional modes in Warzone at this point. There is a ton of depth and replay in these two experiences, each of which plays very differently to the other.

10. All those fancy vehicle and weapon variants like the ONI Warthog and Longshot AR, can we use them in Custom Games and Forge?
These are not currently usable in Custom Games or Forge, but we may rotate them into matchmaking for Arena as part of the core weapon set for maps in that experience.

krang

Lack of aerial UNSC vehicles "at launch" doesn't exclude them from the future. But what it does is almost certainly exclude them from the campaign, which makes me very sad indeed.

sounds like the hornet is going to come back. i wonder how much they're adding to this game post launch.

The REQ system is their main source of post-game income and population hook, they are going to add tons of community wanted stuff there. Gotta chase the Destiny effect.

Top Bottom