• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Launch Day Multiplayer Playlist Revealed

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BTB sucks more often than not. Arena is where it's at

nope.gif

Man I prefer regular slayer to BTB and it's not particularly close. BTB is super chaotic and scrubby most of the time.
I'm not gonna disagree completely but BTB is great for having some vehicle fun and having more lighthearted "oh snap" moments. When my friends want something a little less competitive we jump to custom games or BTB most the time.

The poo is what powers the fusion reactor in every MJOLNIR suit. This is why Chief, in his old age, learned how to sprint in Halo 4. Tapioca has an extensive deuterium half-life.

Dynasty8

I get the feeling that even when BTB comes out, people are gonna be attached to Warzone. It looks incredible and this is the mode I've always wanted Halo to have.

FrsDvl

Warzone all day every day baby. So stoked to finally play it! Hope it's as fun as it looks. Will patiently wait for BTB.

Karl2177

A person picking something- cross referenced by hopper, map, mode and whether party, loner or split screen (my description, not necessarily the actual math)
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I could be misremembering, but I seem to remember that map/gametype selection is similar to Halo 2, where the player doesn't choose or veto. Is that correct? If that's true (and it might not be), how do you gather info on what are popular maps and gametypes?

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I could be misremembering, but I seem to remember that map/gametype selection is similar to Halo 2, where the player doesn't choose or veto. Is that correct? If that's true (and it might not be), how do you gather info on what are popular maps and gametypes?

First, they survey large groups of Beliebers via punched cards. 343 then summons the spirit of Edward Mordrake by performing a playtest on Halloween. A Belieber is chosen as a sacrifice and his punched card is removed from the test pool. The hanging chads are then counted, categorized and entered into a complex algorithm machine which is fueled only by the tears of the Gaf community which were collected by Stinkles.

see5harp

BTB sucks more often than not. Arena is where it's at

Hell yes. Especially if you're in a small group. Just a lot more strategy there with being able to use callouts know where everyone is, etc.

To people who like BTB. I get why BTB is fun because of the vehicles and more stuff to shoot. I just don't find it as compelling competitively and if I'm playing by myself or in a small group it definitely feels like a mess.

Hell yes. Especially if you're in a small group. Just a lot more strategy there with being able to use callouts know where everyone is, etc.

To people who like BTB. I get why BTB is fun because of the vehicles and more stuff to shoot. I just don't find it as compelling competitively and if I'm playing by myself or in a small group it definitely feels like a mess.

It doesn't feel at all like a mess. CTF for example is usually completely balanced. Power weapons spawn at neutral locations (just like regular halo) and vehicles are the same on both sides. Its arena, only bigger. Usually.

Trup1aya

definitely not what i said bruh. simply mean that if it sucked more often than not it wouldn't have the population that it keeps.

Honestly, BTB didn't get so popular until Halo was ruined by Loadouts... 4v4 just didn't work right anymore after that...

I never could get into BTB, because generally, most of my team wouldn't give a shit about winning ...

Trup1aya

That's because BTB was never really competitive, and Infinity Slayer ruined arena, therefore everyone moved to the one with more shit packed in.

Yeah this is how I remember it... Again, I'm not saying BTB was ever unpopular ... I'm saying historically, it wasn't the most popular... In Halo2-3 it wasn't even close iirc

But it gain popularity once Loadouts were introduced... It over took Slayer sometime after Reach launch (I think)... And with H4 it was always the more popular mode.

I think it's because Loadouts ruined 4v4...

IIRC, Halo 4 was the first Halo where BTB (slayer) had a consistently higher population than Team (Infinty) Slayer.

This.

Trup1aya

And also Infinity Big Team from Halo 4 was best big team...ever

Now I wish I had spent more time in H4s BTB. I was so mystified at how Loadouts and ordinance ruined 4v4 (or was it 5v5), that it never dawned on me that those things would work well in BTB...

Never was a BTB guy, because I hated that most people didn't care to win... But ordinance drops would have made the mayhem glorious.

I just stopped playing the game altogether... :(

matthieuC

Man I prefer regular slayer to BTB and it's not particularly close. BTB is super chaotic and scrubby most of the time.
That's why I really like 6v6 halo. Not too crazy, but there is still vehicles and it's not too serious. Squad Slayer or CTF on Valhalla in Halo 3 with some friends has always been what real halo should feel like to me.

I remember Team Slayer being far and away the most popular mode in Halo2...

I think in H4 there rolls were flipped...

Maybe I'm tripping

No it was way before that. I remember BTB being very popular and the games even showed you the amount of people in each of the playlists. It was always high.

BTB hasnt been as fun since Halo 2. There was a time in Halo 2 where BTB was ranked. If you could get above a certain rank you ended up playing with and against people who cared about winning. Those were some of the best games I've ever had in Halo and then Bungie pulled the plug and turned it into a social playlist where everyone was more interested in kill totals and screwing around in vehicles instead. Ruined BTB forever. Such is life.

link1201

BTB hasnt been as fun since Halo 2. There was a time in Halo 2 where BTB was ranked. If you could get above a certain rank you ended up playing with and against people who cared about winning. Those were some of the best games I've ever had in Halo and then Bungie pulled the plug and turned it into a social playlist where everyone was more interested in kill totals and screwing around in vehicles instead. Ruined BTB forever. Such is life.
I believe BTB is to be ranked again in H5.

link1201

All Arena playlists are ranked.

No splitscreen = no more Guest accounts, after all
It's naming a specific playlist "Team Arena" that has confused people I think, myself included.

I'm very excited about this. The ranking in the beta worked well for me. A lot of close games once I got my ranking.

Trup1aya

No it was way before that. I remember BTB being very popular and the games even showed you the amount of people in each of the playlists. It was always high.

It may have fit you4 definition of "high" but it wasn't the most popular playlist in 2 or 3.

That was reserved for Team Slayer. And If we combined all 4v4 modes, that player count was clearly favored over BTB.

Not until post launch reach did BTB take the number one spot... And Halo4 is the first game where it launched as the highest...

Trup1aya

I Could never get a decent ranking... Maybe if I could have gotten enough friends in a full party... But even going in with 4 pals, we were always teamed with 4 idiots more content with betraying over who gets the ghost rather than completing objectives...

D3VI0US

Two SWAT playlists, and no indication that Oddball or Assault are even in the game at all, not to mention anything else?

That's not the best news 343...

Why? Bungie's Halo games launched with a dozen playlists that encompassed everything the game has to offer. I am continually perplexed by 343's insistence that content be rolled out painfully slowly to players.

They suck at curating their games, look at MCC's playlists. Sure the game was a piece of shit but do we really need a Snipers playlist and and Action Sack with a bunch of Sniper gametypes? Sooooo dumb.

I like slayer but I play Halo for fun objective game types so these playlists are disappointing.

WTF. BTB is fun BECAUSE you can dick around in vehicles and do crazy shit

Nah, Halo 4 had CTF from the get go, it always remained somewhat popular. Basically a real CTF and bomb only playlist would sustain itself but I get they want Warzone to have its time in the launch dawn sunlight.

Oh yeah. You're right, it was. I may have been thinking of Reach with Team Objective.

Regardless it would be silly for 5 not to get a CTF playlist soon. It went very well with 4, indeed.

Striker

I'm not saying it was ever unpopular. I'm saying it increased in popularity when Loadouts were introduced... And team slayer lost a lot of ground...
It increased when ranks were wiped out and players can go in freely without worry of losing their rank and getting matches quicker. In a ranked playlist, match waiting is longer by finding similar players and with party restrictions in play.

Halo 3's BTB went unranked not even a year after launch. Halo: Reach's BTB was unranked from the get-go and it was always in the mix of the upper populated playlists with Infection and Team Slayer. Halo 4 it was similar.

Seeing Objectives pretty much ignored in these new playlists isn't much of a surprise. In Reach when Bungie handed over the playlists, 343 added Flag Slayer to Team Objective for pete's sake; they heavily decreased the weighting for Flag and Assault in Big Team. In Halo 4 they were pushing Oddball and King of the Hill as individual playlists, and quite frankly, they weren't very popular. I mean, of course they won't. You don't put Oddball on every single small or midsize map. It's not balanced, nor fun.

Trup1aya

It increased when ranks were wiped out and players can go in freely without worry of losing their rank and getting matches quicker. In a ranked playlist, match waiting is longer by finding similar players and with party restrictions in play.

Halo 3's BTB went unranked not even a year after launch. Halo: Reach's BTB was unranked from the get-go and it was always in the mix of the upper populated playlists with Infection and Team Slayer. Halo 4 it was similar.

Seeing Objectives pretty much ignored in these new playlists isn't much of a surprise. In Reach when Bungie handed over the playlists, 343 added Flag Slayer to Team Objective for pete's sake; they heavily decreased the weighting for Flag and Assault in Big Team. In Halo 4 they were pushing Oddball and King of the Hill as individual playlists, and quite frankly, they weren't very popular. I mean, of course they won't. You don't put Oddball on every single small or midsize map. It's not balanced, nor fun.

What your saying about unranked is probably true... Surely that had a lot to do with it... and it also correlates with the inclusion of Loadouts... And unranked environment is pretty much the only place such a scheme is acceptable...

Was Unranked BTB more popular that Team Social?

I do hope they do something with the kill cam. It'd be useful for me if you could get a better idea of what the other person did to beat you, but in Halo 4 the other persons shots are never even close to you on the killcam.

Top Bottom