• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Rickenslacker said:
Is the audio weird for anyone but me? I feel like the combat sounds are at the right level, but the dialogue is much quieter, especially in cutscenes.
Do you have a 5.1 surround setup? If not, make sure your Xbox is setup to select digital stereo under system settings.

KageMaru

godhandiscen said:
Aww, the framerate is awful with the enhanced graphics. The game feels off with this framerate. I am hoping its just because I am so used to playing the original on the PC with 60fps, but Anniversary feels like it's running closer to 20fps than 30fps all the time. Is the game locked at 24fps or something? I am still enjoying myself, but I hope that for Halo 4 they lock the fps at a constant 30fps.

Anyone else have any impressions on the frame rate? Was going to pick it up after work today. =/

BruiserBear said:
Three of the main reasons.
-Splitting the user base before again before Halo 4 rolled around
-Resources involved
-Able to make a TU for Reach to give it a more Classic Halo feel and a set of some of the most loved maps from the franchise.

KageMaru said:
Anyone else have any impressions on the frame rate? Was going to pick it up after work today. =/
It's not perfect, but as someone who had severe doubts/worries about the frame rate due to the pre-release videos, in game it seems fine.
Opinion may be coloured by the fact it's 30 fps for the first time for EU players.
Bunch of posts of different view points from different people throughout the thread if you're looking for more opinions.

Rickenslacker said:
Is the audio weird for anyone but me? I feel like the combat sounds are at the right level, but the dialogue is much quieter, especially in cutscenes.
I was playing with some seriously high quality headphones and the combat sounds mix seem really weird/off at certain times. It was particularly notable during the Invis Elite attack in Truth & Reconciliation. Found it really off-putting.

Had a bug too, where some bits of dialog from Cortana on Silent Cartographer sounded really quiet.

heckfu

Banned
BruiserBear said:
Why?

So they go through all the work of remaking the game's graphics, and talking about how authentic they wanted to keep everything, but then they go and don't allow you to play the multiplayer exactly how it was?

Frankles and David said you can ONLY have cake. You are not permitted to eat it.

And it's awesome. Beautiful game, man, go enjoy it!

Vire

smilebig1337 said:
I went straight to recording a playthrough of the game when I picked it up last night at midnight. Here is the first episode for those who are still skeptical and want to see what it looks like. The next episode should be out later tonight for those of you who are interested in seeing it.

Halo CE Part 1: The Pillar of Autumn

Any feedback you can give is much appreciated as I'm still relatively new when it comes to the whole Let's Play thing.
Sweet! Looks like a solid remake thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing Two Betrayals and how they handle The Library...

BruiserBear said:
I need one question answered. Does this game provide you all the MP maps from the original game, and can I play them with the original weapons and gameplay online?
Nope.

It does have seven maps that use the Halo Reach engine.
- Four from Halo CE's multiplayer
- One from Halo CE's campaign (for Firefight)
- One from Halo PC
- One from Halo 2

There are new gametypes that attempt to replicate the Halo CE multiplayer style (i.e. no Armor Abilities, the 3-shot-kill pistol, etc.).

Each one of the maps also has an "updated" version to be used with the normal Reach gametypes (i.e. with Armor Abilities).

BruiserBear said:
Why?

So they go through all the work of remaking the game's graphics, and talking about how authentic they wanted to keep everything, but then they go and don't allow you to play the multiplayer exactly how it was?

Halo 1 wasn't made for online play. You can't just inject network code into the game, making an XBL version would require building it from scratch and the final product still wouldn't feel exactly like Halo 1 multiplayer. Besides, such a project would have taken much much longer than they had time for and would have delayed Anniversary by a year, screwing up the development schedule for Halo 4.

They made a compromise and I think it was the right decision. If you really want to play it "exactly how it was", go buy the Halo 1 Games on Demand version.

delta25

Banned
KageMaru said:

I'd assume it will be no worse then Reaches frame rate. And judging by most of the video's I've seen thus far, I don't think it'll be a problem at all.

tumblr_le4p7bLEvg1qb5yooo1_500.jpg

UPS man, pllllleeeeasssee hurry.

feel

Ramirez said:
Guys, I just played a match of 3SK Classic on Beaver Creek, I picked up the overshield and donged on 6 guys in a row with an OK, just using the pistol. It felt like I was playing Halo, is this reality?
I think we're just dreaming..

I'm getting prisoner, beaver creek, hangmhigh, etc in matchmaking, and they're not forge maps, but beautiful colorful maps!!! Plus no AA/ sprint bullshit!! Yep, not real.

CorrisD said:
I wish they had released this on Games on Demand, I have points not money, dammit MS!
I wish the Games on Demand versions would come out on release day and at the same price, but I understand why they don't. Microsoft has to keep Walmart happy or they'll stop putting Xboxes on the shelves.

I just wish there was a compromise: go to Walmart to buy your GonD code. Physical media is becoming obsolete.

Ramirez

Letters said:
I think we're just dreaming..

I'm getting prisoner, beaver creek, hangmhigh, etc in matchmaking, and they're not forge maps, but beautiful colorful maps!!! Plus no AA/ sprint bullshit!! Yep, not real.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=851870382&player=TJ Ram

It's like seeing an old friend for the first time in years.

If they could have upped the clip of the pistol and ironed out a few movement issues, this map pack would be in the running for my GOTY, haha. The pistol is so much fun to use, and not having to deal with AA's is just nirvana, I really hope this playlist can sustain itself, I'm seeing a lot of people getting 0-3 kills every game, so I'm doubtful it will last. :(

lybertyboy said:
Do you have a 5.1 surround setup? If not, make sure your Xbox is setup to select digital stereo under system settings.
I set it to that after a BWU made notice about that for Reach. It's not whisper quiet or anything, but it does feel like it would be a couple notches below the other sounds if there were sound options.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
ncsuDuncan said:
I wish the Games on Demand versions would come out on release day and at the same price, but I understand why they don't. Microsoft has to keep Walmart happy or they'll stop putting Xboxes on the shelves.

I just wish there was a compromise: go to Walmart to buy your GonD code. Physical media is becoming obsolete.

Personally I would prefer the disk version so it could sit next to the other Halo games, but I have a few thousand points and not actual money, lol.

feel

Ramirez said:
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=851870382&player=TJ Ram

It's like seeing an old friend for the first time in years.

If they could have upped the clip of the pistol and ironed out a few movement issues, this map pack would be in the running for my GOTY, haha. The pistol is so much fun to use, and not having to deal with AA's is just nirvana, I really hope this playlist can sustain itself, I'm seeing a lot of people getting 0-3 kills every game, so I'm doubtful it will last. :(
It was a bullshit move not giving this one the spotlight and putting it at the top of the anniversary list instead of that vanilla/classic one. Yeah, a match full of jetpack/armor lock elite headhunter really screams 10 years of Halo to me.

I got clarification on the sniper reticle from Cocop - they knew about the issue but it got pushed in favor of more important things and they ended up not having time to fix it. Oh well.

NJ Shlice

smilebig1337 said:
I went straight to recording a playthrough of the game when I picked it up last night at midnight. Here is the first episode for those who are still skeptical and want to see what it looks like. The next episode should be out later tonight for those of you who are interested in seeing it.

Halo CE Part 1: The Pillar of Autumn

Any feedback you can give is much appreciated as I'm still relatively new when it comes to the whole Let's Play thing.
Awesome. Thanks.

Ramirez

Letters said:
It was a bullshit move not giving this one the spotlight and putting it at the top of the anniversary list instead of that vanilla/classic one. Yeah, a match full of jetpack/armor lock elite headhunter really screams 10 years of Halo to me.

Yea, I don't even think the squad playlist should exist, people who want to play regular Reach have about 10 playlists to do so in, but whatever.

BruiserBear said:
Why?

This feels really close to trolling. We've had this argument/discussion about 100 times in the past six months.

GhaleonEB

Syracuse022 said:
Fine. The sniper reticle has seen an unnecessary change in a game that was supposed to have "no gameplay changes." It is considerably more difficult for me to snipe on 2x zoom now, which used to be a joy in Halo 1. I do not like this new reticle and find myself constantly wondering why it was changed. In fact, I do not like this reticle so much that I stopped playing one of my favorite levels last night in disgust, and I have decided to get on the internet and complain about it.
Incidentally, I have the opposite experience: I snipe much better in Anniversary mode than in Classic mode, but haven't been able to put my finger on why. The retucule being easier for me to center is probably it.
ViewtifulJC said:
Larger reticle? FUCKING BROKEN RUINED FOREVER

Thank you, Internet, your hyperbolic responses to even the smallest of changes have not ceased to be hysterical in their extremeness.
Imagining the response had 343 actually changed the game in any way, it's probably safe to say they took the right approach with the remake.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Finally mine arrives. I really do have to say that 343 should be ashamed at how pathetic that manual is.
Indeed. Halo games have always had great manuals - the CE for Halo 2 had an interesting manual as part of its selling point. I was aghast.

Ramirez

PsychoRaven said:
Finally mine arrives. I really do have to say that 343 should be ashamed at how pathetic that manual is.

Paper manuals shouldn't even exist anymore, do what EA does and put them in game. Complete and total waste of paper.

feel

Ramirez said:
Paper manuals shouldn't even exist anymore, do what EA does and put them in game. Complete and total waste of paper.
Can't take my xbox and tv to the crapper.

No but seriously, I'm a fan of reading great videogame manuals and it's a shame what's happening to them.

Ramirez

I probably haven't looked at a manual in close to 7-8 years, I just don't see the point. All a game needs is a good tutorial in the opening sequence, and that eliminates their main purpose anyways. :p

Ramirez said:
I probably haven't looked at a manual in close to 7-8 years, I just don't see the point. All a game needs is a good tutorial in the opening sequence, and that eliminates their main purpose anyways. :p

I read a thread over on GT that was bashing the tutorials and stated that "modern gamers" were stupid because of them.
I lol'd so hard.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Can't take my xbox and tv to the crapper.

No but seriously, I'm a fan of reading great videogame manuals and it's a shame what's happening to them.

You joke but man sometimes you just need reading material. And I agree it's such a shame. Ever since I was a kid the first thing I do when I get a game is read it's manual. In this case I was able to read Anniversary's in the time I was loading the last level for Reach here. That's just not right.

I replayed Halo 3 on Heroic last night for the first time in about a year. That game is still great and insanely repayable like I remember, but "Cortana" is even WORSE then I remember! Kinda not looking forward to revisiting The Library today!

Majanew

Banned
Played Pillar of Autumn and part of Halo level. Very disappointed with the updated graphics. 343i, please...PLEASE...make the framerate the priority in Halo 4. The framerate is always stuttering and it cleans up every once in awhile. And while the new graphics look better than the old for the most part, some things look a little better with the old graphics. And no little sunbeams with the new visuals when the sun goes behind trees? :(

Same rock on the beginning of the Halo level:

Original:

6pc7y0.png

New:

302t2j7.png

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes. The Campaign remake and seven Anniversary maps are on the same disc.

If you redeem the Map Pack code you can access those maps from the Reach disc though.

This should probably go without saying but after the GoD/preview disc debacle it's worth asking:

Does the Map Pack code play nicely with Games on Demand version of Reach?

Top Bottom