• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo announced for Xbox One, 60fps, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "leak" sounds really good..

..so, it must be fake. =/

But seriously, if only it were true.. it sounds great.

The cloak he wears makes me laugh, I imagine that he has to remove his head like a Lego figure in order to put it on

halo%20dude-580-75.jpg

:lol

Proelite

So the author wrote a follow-up for the ODST sequel.
http://pastebin.com/dH5Z7GaY

Seems to me like a HUGE departure from Halo mechanics. Lots of good ideas peppered here and there. But once again it reads more like a wish list than an actual leak.

Pistolero

I'm serious that a 30fps game (on seemingly better hardware) will look better than a 60fps one.

Or are you using super secret double sarcasm? That's my weakness.

That and tachyons.

I'll bet Halo 5 will look better and run at 60 fps. The resolution though, I can't say...

Chinner

Banned
it does kind of amuse me how there basically no response to there announcement. out of all the big conferences and big sequels, nobody seems to be talking about halo 5.

the real reason I know its fake, is that he says grizzlies will be in the game. grizzlies were sergeant forges creation in halo wars and were only on the spirit of fire, which is stranded decades away from UNSC space at the end of halo wars. not to mention the death of sergeant forge.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that leak sounds pretty fucking bad. yes to large scale battles and a dedicated "classic" MP mode. no to open world metriodvania and rpg features. huge scale battles sound great though.

but its so fake, why bother discussing.

Flipyap

that's never really stopped high amounts of anticipation being generated from it's predecessors reveals.
Yeah, but its predecessors' reveals didn't try to shock the audience by wrapping a robot in a tarp, nor did their "awe-inspiring sci-fi shots" involve huge goddamn robot birds. How could anyone get excited about THAT?
Okay, I admit, I kinda want to know how impossibly dumb it will get, but mostly it just makes me want to bury my head in the sand and pretend I never saw anything. Man, that robot bird... Ka-kaw!

Proelite

that leak sounds pretty fucking bad. yes to large scale battles and a dedicated "classic" MP mode. no to open world metriodvania and rpg features. huge scale battles sound great though.

You didn't like ODST?

op_ivy

You didn't like ODST?

ODST was not a metroidvania. at.all.

it had a hub world that slowly unlocked as you progressed through the game. this "hub world" (note the quotation marks) allowed you access to halo style, semi-linear, stages. no upgrades. no revisiting areas. entirely different.

This is why we can't have nice things

Blueblur1

Yeah, but its predecessors' reveals didn't try to shock the audience by wrapping a robot in a tarp, nor did their "awe-inspiring sci-fi shots" involve huge goddamn robot birds. How could anyone get excited about THAT?
Okay, I admit, I kinda want to know how impossibly dumb it will get, but mostly it just makes me want to bury my head in the sand and pretend I never saw anything. Man, that robot bird... Ka-kaw!

The "ka-kaw" made me laugh out loud. Well done.

That reveal trailer gave me a real Shadows of the collosus vibe,

I know it will never happen but i think it would be pretty awesome to have master chief alone on a planet scavenging and fighting/hunting all these promethean warriors.

Would probably piss off 90 percent of the fans but i would love it :)

op_ivy

This is why we can't have nice things

i suppose it could work, but not as described.

personally, i'm not sure how you can work open world into a focused narrative. i'm one (of the few?) that fells remedy made the right choice in ditching open world with alan wake for similar reasons.

it does kind of amuse me how there basically no response to there announcement. out of all the big conferences and big sequels, nobody seems to be talking about halo 5.

I somehow didn't hear about it until just now. So yeah, tons of buzz about Halo 5. haha

i-Lo

It'll definitely sell and generate very many threads as more details emerge but given how beautiful yet unfulfilling Halo 4 has been in certain core departments allied with the fact that we only saw a CG teaser for a game that's supposed to represent a next gen platform has perhaps taken the wind out of potential discussion at this time.

Alright guys, so what are the chances Halo 5 can look this good?

3lxk.jpg

Is that fan made render using Cryengine 3?

What resolution though?

Over 720p in all likelihood.

GhaleonEB

ODST was not a metroidvania. at.all.

it had a hub world that slowly unlocked as you progressed through the game. this "hub world" (note the quotation marks) allowed you access to halo style, semi-linear, stages. no upgrades. no revisiting areas. entirely different.

This is mostly but not entirely true. Finding elements of Sadie's story (many of which did require exploration) unlocked weapon and vehicle caches in different parts of the hub world. The more of the story segments you collected, the more caches opened up; they get marked on the map. I remember trekking across the entire hub to get a cache of rockets and pistol ammo, then blazing back in a Mongoose that was also there.

I get that's not Metroidvania but it was a unique enough element to ODST that I thought I'd mention it. I wouldn't mind elements like that coming back.

personally, i'm not sure how you can work open world into a focused narrative. i'm one (of the few?) that fells remedy made the right choice in ditching open world with alan wake for similar reasons.

I agree. I though the hub and spoke method in ODST worked well, and provided open elements while keeping a narrative moving. It was basically the same idea as the second mission in the first game: a big environment with some goals scatted on the spokes (three rescue missions in that case) that you could do in any order. Kept a narrative but also offered flexibility. I think ODST was that same idea but adapted to the overall game structure.

Not saying that's the right approach for every game, but I'd like to see more elements like that instead of a linear series of linear levels.

The narrative was an incoherent mess in H4 with the tightly linear structure.

If I can get 20+ hours of more open gameplay structure compared to 6 hours of linear structure, I'm going to take the former every time.

Gemme that Metroid Prime Halo.

So the author wrote a follow-up for the ODST sequel.
http://pastebin.com/dH5Z7GaY

Seems to me like a HUGE departure from Halo mechanics. Lots of good ideas peppered here and there. But once again it reads more like a wish list than an actual leak.

Does sounds like an wish list.

60 fps day and night cycle as an ODST / Spartan 4 or something like that.
In 3rd person mode sabotaging behind enemy lines.
343 should make their mark on the halo series with an spin off and keep numbered Halo games true to the core and 30 seconds of fun.

MGS 5 in halo skin. If koji pro can do 60fps with day and night cycle why couldn't 343 an exclusive studio not reach that.

Gui_PT

One awesome thing about ODST is that you can go through most of the hub world using stealth thus evading encounters.

Nomnomnom

Munki

If you are an xbox fan you should not write down the word Xbo.... Its Xbox One and nothing else.
I hate those kind of peoples.

I don't understand how "Xbone" is even funny. What is in reference to, because it includes the word "bone" that makes it humorous?

netBuff

If you are an xbox fan you should not write down the word Xbo.... Its Xbox One and nothing else.
I hate those kind of peoples.

I don't understand how "Xbone" is even funny. What is in reference to, because it includes the word "bone" that makes it humorous?

Xbone is the natural shorthand for the "Xbone One", as it is easy to read and quick to write. It's not about being funny, it's about being practical. It's not worth getting wound up over a very useful shorthand.

Munki

Xbone is the natural shorthand for the "Xbone One", as it is easy to read and quick to write. It's not about being funny, it's about being practical. It's not worth getting wound up over a very useful shorthand.

Not worked up at all, just never struck me as funny. But if that is the case then that is some laziness right there, there are shorter and even more practical variants that could be used, such as XB1 or X1 even.

netBuff

Not worked up at all, just never struck me as funny. But if that is the case then that is some laziness right there, there are shorter and even more practical variants that could be used, such as XB1 or X1 even.

Xbone is much quicker to write than "XB1", "X1" or any other marketing shorthand. Complain to Microsoft for calling their new system the Microsoft Xbone.

The Halo 4 campaign was like 7 hours long. I don't think I could handle 20-35 hours of the garbage AI

While I didn't experience this kind of adverse reaction to Halo 4 myself, I don't think its singleplayer campaign should have been longer than it was in any way - these kinds of shooter campaigns get tedious pretty fast.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Master Chief; flipping switches since Halo 4. Hopefully 343 studios can come up with some better objectives this time.

Hindle

Banned
I doubt Halo 2014 will be what's described in the paste bin. I think the game after that will be along the lines of open world though.

To hide his appearance? Fuck knows.

I haven't been keeping up with the discussion here so I'll just add my two cents...The only real reason I can think of that Master Chief would be wearing a cloak to hide who he is, would be that it's the USNC or ONI that he's hiding from. That he's taken it upon himself to go on a personal mission. Maybe he's AWOL. Who knows. It could just be theatrics for the trailer but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom