• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Toddler

AZ Greg said:
I'm with you, I think they can coexist. At least I wish they could/did. :(
I'd be more than happy with an online lobby for friends to join. Matchmaking isn't necessary, just the same ol place we used to get together and play, but online.

I personally think the new helmet's getting way more flak than it deserves. I mean sure, it wasn't great and 343's already improving it, but it still seems really nitpicky out of all the things that could have been criticized. I actually liked the way the new chief was introduced--the switch to the new "remastered" style and the zoom outwards looked like a scene out of Halo Legends to me or something.

Toddler

Zee-V70 said:
I personally think the new helmet's getting way more flak than it deserves. I mean sure, it wasn't great and 343's already improving it, but it still seems really nitpicky out of all the things that could have been criticized. I actually liked the way the new chief was introduced--the switch to the new "remastered" style and the zoom outwards looked like a scene out of Halo Legends to me or something.
It looks like the model from the 3rd person action beta of CE:

haloxb002.jpg

Detox

So in the UK they're selling this as a full price title. Isn't the whole point of being priced at $40 to compete with the bigger titles in November? This should at the most be £30 RRP, as Street Fighter Arcade Edition is $40 in the US and £30 in the UK.

Izayoi

Banned
Toddler said:
I'd be more than happy with an online lobby for friends to join. Matchmaking isn't necessary, just the same ol place we used to get together and play, but online.
Seriously, I would be completely fine with that. Most of the games that I played in Halo 2 were custom games, and they were awesome.

Though this is all falling on deaf ears anyway. Wishful thinking isn't going to get us anywhere, nor will voting with our dollars because you know millions of people are going to eat this up anyway.

This whole situation is mighty depressing. I understand that Microsoft has a bottom line to look after, but damn I really wish they could've put the fans first just this once.

Zee-V70 said:
it still seems really nitpicky out of all the things that could have been criticized.

Yes, it's incredibly nitpicky for players to care about what the protagonist's iconic model looks like. It's totally not important. At all.

It was also the worst looking thing in the trailer. The only other aspect that can really compare is the quality of some of those Jackal shield shaders.

People can rightly get concerned when that when the player's model looks bad, what can you expect from the rest of the game?

Detox said:
So in the UK they're selling this as a full price title. Isn't the whole point of being priced at $40 to compete with the bigger titles in November? This should at the most be £30 RRP, as Street Fighter Arcade Edition is $40 in the US and £30 in the UK.
If what you say is true, I won't be buying Day One. Drawing the line.

Toddler

I don't see a point in arguing the price point, since I'm ready to drop $100+ on the Mega Legendary Anniversary Edition, complete with life sized blow-up Frankie doll.

ElRenoRaven

Gotta say that I'm ok with this release. I would have loved multiplayer but it's not a full price release. So if you do the math. 2 map packs worth of maps are 20 bucks. That's half the price. So for 20 bucks you're getting Halo CE's campaign redone with terminals, achievements, possibly skulls, online co-op. You really can't beat that. So for me It's preordered already.

wwm0nkey

I dont think I can complain about the MP anymore its obvious they are doing something "special" to the MP when this comes out, its been hinted at so many times that they should just tell us already :lol

oh well we shall find out at HaloFest

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
I dont think I can complain about the MP anymore its obvious they are doing something "special" to the MP when this comes out, its been hinted at so many times that they should just tell us already :lol

oh well we shall find out at HaloFest

But but but HaloFest is so far awaaaayyy. I wanna know now damn it.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
But but but HaloFest is so far awaaaayyy. I wanna know now damn it.
Well we atleast know they are doing something to MP (guessing adding in some options to the game itself) that will give it that extra classic feel, going off of that I think I can wait till August to find out lol.

Toddler

wwm0nkey said:
Well we atleast know they are doing something to MP (guessing adding in some options to the game itself) that will give it that extra classic feel, going off of that I think I can wait till August to find out lol.
I'm calling it now, original multiplayer, with all maps, online lobby, no matchmaking.

ElRenoRaven

Toddler said:
I'm calling it now, original multiplayer, with all maps, online lobby, no matchmaking.

God I wish but no. I would like all the Halo: CE maps though instead of just 6 and a firefight. Hell I'd pay 60 bucks if they redid all the Halo and Halo PC maps and released them.

Kuroyume

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Gotta say that I'm ok with this release. I would have loved multiplayer but it's not a full price release. So if you do the math. 2 map packs worth of maps are 20 bucks. That's half the price. So for 20 bucks you're getting Halo CE's campaign redone with terminals, achievements, possibly skulls, online co-op. You really can't beat that. So for me It's preordered already.

Halo: CE's campaign is worth like a dollar. Okay.

Toddler

PsychoRaven said:
God I wish but no. I would like all the Halo: CE maps though instead of just 6 and a firefight. Hell I'd pay 60 bucks if they redid all the Halo and Halo PC maps and released them.
Well, Reach's map budget doesn't allow for remakes of all CE maps. Besides, will I be able to:

Shoot down the power-ups in Rat Race?

ld5aF.jpg

Grenade jump with the overshield on Damnation?

Xnakr.jpg

Blast to sniper to me with a grenade on Hang Em High?

Zvwrr.jpg

Steal the rockets by jumping the underside of it's platform in Prisoner?

ykeEB.jpg

Monocle

Well this pretty much made my year. Halo is still probably my favorite game of all time. I can't wait to re-experience the campaign in all its current-gen glory.

Izayoi

Banned
Toddler said:
I know there's tons more, and that Reach can't feature that type of playing.

Just wishful thinking....
It's best to just let it go, dude. Halo 1's multiplayer is dead forever.

It's pretty clear at this point that Microsoft is perfectly fine with that. There are no plans to include any element of the original multiplayer, and there never will be. They would've told us by now if there were. Whatever changes are bound to make us "5% happier" are most likely removal of bloom and maybe a return of the Halo 1 Pistol if we're super lucky (though even that will probably never happen because Frankie has made his stance very clear about the Pistol, unfortunately).

I mean, it would make them look awfully bad when a port of Halo 1's multiplayer decimates whatever they put out, gameplay-wise.

CyReN

Izayoi said:
It's best to just let it go, dude. Halo 1's multiplayer is dead forever.

It's pretty clear at this point that Microsoft is perfectly fine with that. There are no plans to include any element of the original multiplayer, and there never will be. They would've told us by now if there were. Whatever changes are bound to make us "5% happier" are most likely removal of bloom and maybe a return of the Halo 1 Pistol if we're super lucky (though even that will probably never happen because Frankie has made his stance very clear about the Pistol, unfortunately).

I mean, it would make them look awfully bad when a port of Halo 1's multiplayer decimates whatever they put out, gameplay-wise.

It lives on in Kansas, St. Louis, my friends basements, XBC, and the occasional midwest MLG event hotel!

Izayoi

Banned
CyReN said:
It lives on in Kansas, St. Louis, my friends basements, XBC, and the occasional midwest MLG event hotel!
Halo PC, too. Dead as in no official support of any kind. I have all of Halo PC's and CE's files (including patches and dedicated server files) archived on physical and digital storage, tucked away in a safe place for when Microsoft decides to kill it forever by removing the downloads from their site.

ElRenoRaven

CyReN said:

And as mentioned PC. I still hope on occasionally to play on the PC. I almost wish we had a neogaf member with a good server for us.

ElRenoRaven

Izayoi said:
Really? As long as I don't play on servers that have 200+ ping it's always been just fine for me.

Same here. If it's 200 or less it runs smooth for me. Now when it starts getting above 200 I end up having some issues. Luckily usually the highest I get is 189 on most servers.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But still: weapon selection and damage will be different, as will jump height and movement speed.

It's an improvement, but it won't be the same. :-/

clav

omg.kittens said:
But still: weapon selection and damage will be different, as will jump height and movement speed.

I'll wait until I see the MP before I judge it.

I actually was late to the Xbox party as I only played Halo at a friend's house back in the Xbox 1 days.

It wasn't until someone gave me a broken Xbox (busted power supply) that I joined the Xbox team as I was a Gamecube person before. Halo 2 was the first Xbox game that I owned.

I see an incentive for me to own this CE anniversary now.

oxygenal

omg.kittens said:

I would like an option to change gameplay physics in the game, classic or reach. If not possible I would prefer the classic gameplay.

And I really hope they include the "hide and seek" map Boarding Action...

HBO's Louis Wu got to ask the 343 team some questions. Pretty much covers everything we know about the remake, and more. :)

One thing that saddens me...
HBO: You've said that this game is using original Halo code - yet you've announced online coop. Have the additions to allow this been created completely separately, or are other portions of the netcode changed?

343i: All of the Reach extras - Saved Films, Forge, etc - are available for the multiplayer maps, but not for the single-player campaign. The coop code is separate, and allows 2-player cooperative play over Xbox LIVE, as well as via System Link and single-box Split Screen.
Oh well.

wwm0nkey said:
Reach Title Update. Believe.

JonCha

Curious how they're saying that they are goin to make changes that give you the option of
playing classically, rather than removing the Reach mechanics completely.

GavinGT

Banned
Holy shit, guys. Go play Halo PC. Last time I played it was in '04, and the lag was completely unbearable. But now that nearly everyone has broadband, the lag is greatly diminished. You still have to lead your targets like crazy, but at least the experience is consistent.

My friend is going to host a dedicated server with his T1 connection, so soon enough we'll be able to host large games and choose the game settings. Fuck matchmaking!

GavinGT

Banned
Detox said:

I bet it has something to do with how the UK market tends to not buy full price games, and instead wait for price drops. If they launch at $60 (the Euro equivalent of $60, I mean), then they can drop it to $40 two weeks after release and people will feel like they're getting a deal.

Top Bottom