• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Zabka said:
Like I said, I don't care about the circumstances, only the end product. When you stop being critical of something because of the development process then you're only harming yourself.
*nods* Not that I don't think there's room for contextual understanding. I just believe consumer and fan respect is more important than that.

I think the point is this remake has been anticipated for years. People have wanted C.E. MP & Live since Halo 2.
It's a hokey comparison but I said before "If I planned on buying a replica of the Mona Lisa I'd be upset/shit on it if the smile was wrong/missing."

It's a lose lose situation either way. *shrugs* As long as Frankie and co are honest I'll be open to the idea.
The differences in the regional price drops make me unhappy, but I do wonder how much 343 can publicly say about that.

Tashi0106 said:
Can I buy it for both reasons? :p
That's why I'm buying it :)
I was speculating more toward the inclusion of multi being missed resulting in a loss of sales. Most will likely discard the remake and will just get mom and dad to fork out for the maps. The rest of us will soak in the rays of the glorious campaign, playing co-op over Live and w00ting at the sky. =p

jgminto

I think I may buy this from ebay because EBs pricing in Australia is ridiculous. It's estimated at $108. That's more than double the US price. Mayble it'll drop to $80 but still. We need to get a Federal investigation on this because that is not acceptable.

thatbox

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I'm a big fan of Halo multiplayer and I support 343's decision. I don't want to play a nostalgia crushing Halo CE multiplayer but yes, I will take those awesome maps for my sexy Halo Reach.
Congratulations to you for picking the "correct" Halo to like. You lucked out! I was just hoping a Halo: CE remake would be, you know, Halo: CE. My own fault :(

This is quite a landslide victory for the people who already day one all the Reach map packs, I guess.

DoctorWho said:
That's a bingo!
ZLid4.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GarthVaderUK said:
I just want you to know, you're my favourite Franchise Development Director in the (known) world.

Now spill!

There will be more announcements as the summer progresses. And then the Autumn. Pax is only a couple of months.

Havok

thatbox said:
Congratulations to you for picking the "correct" Halo to like. You lucked out! I was just hoping a Halo: CE remake would be, you know, Halo: CE. My own fault :(

This is quite a landslide victory for the people who already day one all the Reach map packs, I guess.
Wait until they detail the tweaks to the Classic playlist before being disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they captured as much of the CE feel as possible with updates to the base gameplay. 343 reps here on GAF have said all the right things about their support for Reach going forward, just extend a little more faith.

CyReN

thatbox said:

and a huge blue balls for everyone that grew up playing halo 1.

*goes back to playing xbc and cursing Frankie*

border

JdFoX187 said:
How is it compromised?
You really don't know the answer to that? After this many pages and replies?

It's compromised because there's a ton of content from the original multiplayer missing. Beyond that it's questionable whether the engine behind it is capable of reproducing something like the original Halo CE.....or whether 343 even wants those qualities reproduced. Just from Frankie's comments on Waypoint you can see they aren't really fond of the original pistol, so regardless of whether or not Reach can do that I am uncertain if they even will.

It's unclear to what extent they can or will add CE rules to Reach's engine, but after the shocker announcement and subsequent silence I don't think it's unfair to be a little skeptical.

There's also my earlier point about online MP being added into Perfect Dark.
Perfect Dark is poor, out-dated and antiquated in dozens of ways that Halo CE isn't, nor does the franchise have anywhere near the following of Halo. For that game it really was a case of nostalgia goggles -- a game design that couldn't hold up today beyond its original novelty. If it had shoddy multiplayer then that was the nail in the coffin, but I don't think that was the thing that killed it. Halo CE has endured time much better, so I don't think the comparison works all that well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
thatbox said:

No I completely understand that point of view. There are a lot of old school Halo players that just didn't like 2, 3 and Reach. It sucks that this one glimmer of hope to play Halo CE online in the 10 year anniversary remake has been crushed. But hey, that's the way it is sometimes. :/

Havok said:
Wait until they detail the tweaks to the Classic playlist before being disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they captured as much of the CE feel as possible with updates to the base gameplay. 343 reps here on GAF have said all the right things about their support for Reach going forward, just extend a little more faith.
Wait and see doesn't make for great debates in the mean time, but you're right in that people shouldn't assume the worst is true.
HOWEVER, to say that they'll be able to change individual playlists to the extent it would take to closer replicate Halo C.E. MP is a tad unbelieve right now. Guessing (yes, just surmising from the little we know) that it'd require a large amount of refactoring to make a lot of that possible, which I honestly doubt will happen due to the resource investment required (which is one of the reasons we're not getting C.E. MP on Live).

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I don't believe I am.

Actually Frankie, could you breakdown the amount of people on Anniversary (from 343 and Saber seperately please) and the amount of people on H4? I realise that's likely considered prying/internal data only, but I really just ask because I'm interested from an understanding perspective.

Booshka

Syracuse022 said:
Game Completion Stats
Modern Warfare 2 is about Single Player confirmed.

EDIT: Also, John Howard's LinkedIn page reads like a who's who of products I can get behind. Is he for sure working on Prototype 2?
He probably is, which makes me far more excited for that game. He needs to make another console MP shooter though, he's the best at it. Too bad no one bought Shadowrun or he would probably be making another great shooter right now. Hopefully Prototype 2 is awesome and does well, he is definitely my favorite developer, the main reason why two of my favorite games are so amazing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
border said:
Just from Frankie's comments on Waypoint you can see they aren't really fond of the original pistol,

This is an oft-repeated misconception. I LOVED the Halo CE pistol. Between that, Rockets and Snipes, I basically didn't use anything else. Does it change the balance of the game dramatically? Of course it does. If it didn't, nobody would care about it.

thatbox

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Wait and see doesn't make for great debates in the mean time, but you're right in that people shouldn't assume the worst is true.
HOWEVER, to say that they'll be able to change individual playlists to the extent it would take to closer replicate Halo C.E. MP is a tad unbelieve right now. Guessing (yes, just surmising from the little we know) that it'd require a large amount of refactoring to make a lot of that possible, which I honestly doubt will happen due to the resource investment required (which is one of the reasons we're not getting C.E. MP on Live).

I'd be happy to be wrong about this, but I don't believe I am.
No, they're demonstrably unwilling to make most of the key changes necessary. Every new Halo they try a new melee system to attempt to "hide" latency, and so far Reach's is the furthest away from the original's. They've said a million times they hate the Halo: CE pistol. I don't see any framework in place for a Halo: CE style health system. All of these are core CE tenets that they've consistently either moved away from or straight out said they won't implement, and I doubt they're even easily doable anyway.

I don't even pay attention to this stuff anymore, but what's Reach's FOV? CE was 90, Halo 2's was something asinine like 60.

Zee-V70 said:
Just realized something: will the beginning of PoA look exactly like
Reach's remastering of the scene?
Well I assume no.
It'll be as it was in C.E. from that different angle and shots, with Reach quality assets.

jgminto

Zee-V70 said:
Well it'll be the same layout with a graphics filter over it but I am guessing they will use
Keyes
model from Reach.

thatbox said:
No, they're demonstrably unwilling to make most of the key changes necessary. Every new Halo they try a new melee system to attempt to "hide" latency, and so far Reach's is the furthest away from the original's. They've said a million times they hate the Halo: CE pistol. I don't see any framework in place for a Halo: CE style health system. All of these are core CE tenets that they've consistently either moved away from or straight out said they won't implement, and I doubt they're even easily doable anyway.

I don't even pay attention to this stuff anymore, but what's Reach's FOV? CE was 90, Halo 2's was something asinine like 60.
They as in Bungie? Perhaps.
Reach's FOV = 78 iirc.

Zee-V70 said:
It'll look like the Halo 4 teaser, but I hope you're right.
That would be badass and from here I can't see why not.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
OuterWorldVoice said:
This is an oft-repeated misconception. I LOVED the Halo CE pistol. Between that, Rockets and Snipes, I basically didn't use anything else. Does it change the balance of the game dramatically? Of course it does. If it didn't, nobody would care about it.
Quit dodging and post a detailed list of employees and all of the projects they're committing hours to. GoogleDocs, plz

CyReN

OuterWorldVoice said:

Speaking of pistols, in the video released last week about the anniversary addition you say "3 shots to the head from anywhere on the map will kill anything". Are you referring to Halo 1 mp or the campaign? because right after it shows a three shot kill and that NEVER happens at all in the original single player.

thatbox

Banned
CyReN said:
Speaking of pistols, in the video released last week about the anniversary addition you say "3 shots from anywhere in the map kills anything" are you referring to Halo 1 mp or the campaign? because right after it shows a three show kill and that NEVER happens at all in the original single player.
Your avatar reminds me of how pissed I was that my copy of CE, which I bought an Xbox for, got exchanged with somebody's GotY version at a LAN at some point :(

Scarecrow said:
That's where the challenge lies. Developers can't be afraid to step up and conquer these obstacles. The willingness to do so separates those who put their heart and soul into a project and those that are satisfied with resting on their laurels.
Um, their laurels? This will be the new studio's first foray into developing Halo games. This Anniversary project is, for all intents and purposes, what should set the tone going forward, and I think whoever used "schizophrenic" landed on an apt term.

fin

OuterWorldVoice said:
There will be more announcements as the summer progresses. And then the Autumn. Pax is only a couple of months.

This is going to be my first PAX, flying down from Saskatchewan, looks like I made the right choice! Also planning on buying a round of shots for eveyone at the eventual after-after-party. Cheers!

Izayoi

Banned
thatbox said:
Your avatar reminds me of how pissed I was that my copy of CE, which I bought an Xbox for, got exchanged with somebody's GotY version at a LAN at some point :(
My original Halo disc was played so much that the sticker got worn down to the point where it stopped working.

Tunavi

Banned
CyReN said:
Speaking of pistols, in the video released last week about the anniversary addition you say "3 shots to the head from anywhere on the map will kill anything". Are you referring to Halo 1 mp or the campaign? because right after it shows a three shot kill and that NEVER happens at all in the original single player.
Who is that woman and what is her phone number?

border

I guess I missed this.....not sure how promising it is:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-halo-anniversary/715783

2:22 minutes into the video

"We're going to have seven classic multiplayer maps....we've been approaching it philosophically the same way we've been in campaign. Take a classic space that people know and love and just make it look spectacular. What we're doing a little bit different on the multiplayer side is we're running that on the Reach Engine. So that's gonna give us a few options.....what it lets us do is play these old maps with some of the Reach-style gameplay. For example, you can fly around Damnation on a jetpack, things like that. Um, it does make some changes to it so what we're also going to do is let you play those classic maps without those new additions. So it's exactly as you remembered from the first time."

I guess it's still kinda vague, but it's nice to see him being a little more emphatic about multiplayer than 343 has been in other places ("it's exactly as you remembered"). Oh what I wouldn't have given to be on the other side of that microphone and ask for a little more specificity ;)

thatbox

Banned
urk said:
Didn't Halo: CE have a 70 degree FOV?
Quick Googling says 90 (could be wrong), but I mainly remember it in relation to Halo 2's. Halo: CE to Halo 2 was an extremely uncomfortable experience because the FoV shrank by a decent amount. I'm not sure what 3/ODST/Reach are.

feel

He was talking about the Reach-style Classic playlist guys, new additions is stuff like armor lock, the feel of running underwater, choosing loadouts at spawn, jetpacks, etc. Crosshair bloom won't be removed and they won't be balancing rate of fire and weapon damage, stop setting yourselves up for more disappointment.

edit- Dammit, quoted already and I wasn't done editing the paragraph!!

Unrelated, aimed in general at some of the posts in the past 6 pages:
beghnb.jpg

(ok, special mention to that one dude who wanted Halo 4 delayed.. wtf brah?)

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
He was talking about the Reach-style Classic playlist guys. Crosshair bloom won't be removed and they won't be balancing rate of fire and weapon damage, stop setting yourselves up for disappointment.
said confirmed as more of a joke lol. they COULD add in classic options just for the 7 maps though that is 100% possible, just the question if they will do it or not though.

(they can also add the classic weapons in the new maps as well but only the new maps)

clav

Letters said:
He was talking about the Reach-style Classic playlist guys. Crosshair bloom won't be removed and they won't be balancing rate of fire and weapon damage, stop setting yourselves up for more disappointment.
I like the bloom. It prevents people from spamming the weapon and adds an additional skill factor.

Haters be quiet. You guys know it's overpowered with bloom off.

feel

claviertekky said:
I like the bloom. It prevents people from spamming the weapon and adds an additional skill factor.

Haters be quiet.
You guys know it's overpowered with bloom off.
Well excuuuuse, me but how is bloom off overpowered if the other guy is also not rolling a dice and shooting at the same speed?

They did a pretty good job of explaining on the Sparkcast why Halo:CE isn't coming with multiplayer.

Not only would it potentially take population away from Reach, but even if 343 had tried their damnedest to recreate Halo:CE perfectly, it wouldn't have been how we remembered it.

But then, I've enjoyed the multiplayer in every Halo game more than the last. So I'm loving that Reach is getting 'new' maps.

My worry is that 'faithfully' remaking maps from an old Halo sandbox in a new Halo sandbox rarely works out well.

Tombstone felt off. Blackout was universally panned. Etc.

The best 'remakes' are usually re-imaginings that take the spirit and general layout of the old map, but update it to work with the new weapon range/damage/usage stats.

border said:
--classic weapons (powerful pistol), no modern era weapons, no lock-on rockets, no dual-wield, no swords
--no special items, no armor abilities - just camo, overshield, etc.
--indestructible vehicles
--physics - I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of CE/2/3/Reach to comment much, but I'd like to at least be able to jump as high as I did in CE
--fall damage - I don't really care that much about it either way

You jump much much higher in 2 and 3 than you do in CE.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. The reason you can't use the Wraith in Halo 1 is because they didn't have time to get it working. Imagine being able to use. Or board vehicles. Or...gah. I'll stop now.

For that reason I really want to know what other extras are in the campaign. Something like skulls and medals and campaign scoring would go a long ways with me.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind minor tweaks like those. Assassinations are another thing that would be nice. Sure, if the reach animations were used it may look a little out of place, but in theory, it would be nice. Im sure it also has something to do with time and resources.. But if not, maybe there is still hope.

That said, even with some minor let downs, I am very hyped for this game.

Top Bottom