• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

PooBone

Izayoi said:
Wow, I thought I was being a jerk the last few pages. Thanks for showing me up, dude.
Don't worry, you were.

Booshka said:
Try using Camo Rockets on Xbox 360 emulated Halo CE. Game will lag and stutter like no other. There are lots of other things that cause game lag also. It doesn't work well at all, sucks.
I've had the same experience as well. It was bad enough for me to go acquire another original Xbox but honestly they just collect dust in the closet. It's not very easy to bust out the old boxes, hook em up, and run Cat 5 across the house, unfortunately.

PaulLFC

It'll be £34.99 in the UK apparently. Horrible conversion rate, but at least the online retailers should sell it for £25-£30.

PooBone

Question for all who've been following:
Is there ANY footage of this game out there aside from the trailer and the menu screen?

GarthVaderUK said:
Don't think so, should see more through the summer though.
Frankie, if you're reading this, I think you all need to take another go at the design of the outer side of the Halo ring. It looks like a mixture of Covenant and Forerunner design – not Forerunner. Forerunner designs don't have curved lines. It's missing that clean look that was in Halo 1, 2, and 3.

Mik2121

I like how a trailer for Infamous 2 (Exclusive for PS3) played right before the Halo CE Remake menu video someone linked a couple posts above :p

(Actually I don't really care much about that game..)

clav

GarthVaderUK said:
Never saw that video. Thanks!

mvEZS.gif

zethren said:
Don't know if this video was posted yet, but it's a short fan video interview with Frankie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDueXLqbiCs

You're awesome to your community, Frankie :)

Never saw this one either. Thanks!

Kibbles

"Fan talks to Frankie" Really? Didn't sound like a fan to me, sounded like he had to look-up random questions and didn't know what he was talking about.

clav

PooBone said:
Thanks for posting but I can't hit youtube right now. Anyone care to paraphrase? Any interesting quotes?
I'm no court case typist, so this is a rough transcription of it since I'm bored.

Interviewer: Hello.

Frankie: Hi! Colin.

Interviewer: How you're doing ?

Frankie: Frank o'Connor.

Interviewer: Frank o'Connor nice to meet you.

Frankie: Hi I'm franchise dev director at 343 industries at Microsoft.

Interviewer: Awesome (whisper: that's going on the wall) let me see if I can get... to your questions. What kind of new weapons do we expect to see…?

Frankie: In which... game? Halo 4 :trollface

Interviewer: Which one do you want to talk about?

Frankie: Which one do you want to talk about? :grin

Interviewer: I DUHNO!

Frankie: So there are no new weapons in Halo anniversary edition 'cause it's a remake and uh all the classic weapons are returning…

Interviewer: Yeah OK.

Frankie: … and in Halo 4 there are clues in the trailer itself.

Interviewer: OK... uh.. will Halo 3 or 4 ever come to PC?

Frankie: Um... uh we haven't discussed it. It's not impossible but there are no plans at this present time.

Interviewer: OK... uh... here's four questions from Sigbjorn in Norway? Where will he [Master Chief] get his weapons and ammo? What kind of enemies will we see? Will you have a helmet HUD? And how long has he been in space?

Frankie: Uh... so if I remember though, I'll go backwards. He's been in space for an undisclosed amount of time but not a short amount of time. Uh... he will get his weapons from uh at least from the giant military frigate he's standing.

What were the other two questions?

Interviewer: The kind of enemies we see and helmet HUD.

Frankie: Uh... there will be changes in the HUD as they are in every single halo game. and uh... enemies are going to be an important part of the game, and we'll reveal more about that later.

Interviewer: Ok ... uh... will the jetpack return?

Frankie: Uh... in the trailer, he's definitely exhibiting some kind of booster system but to call it the jetpack might be a little bit disingenuous.

Interviewer: OK ... um... again sorry guys. Going through this pretty quick.

Frankie: No that's fine.

Interviewer: What new features will separate Halo 4 from Reach and 3?

Frankie: I wish I could tell you but those are things we will reveal at a later time but will we evolve respectively.

Interviewer: Yeah... uh... do you have any notion we can expect those releases at so we can look forward to them?

Frankie: Certainly we can tell people more about Halo 4 at PAX this year starting August 26 to August 28 in Seattle. Um... and as we go through this 10th anniversary, we will be celebrating this in interesting ways.

Interviewer: All right. Is Halo 4 going to be on a new engine or an existing one?

Frankie: Halo anniversary exists on two engines simultaneously. It's a Halo CE engine with a graphical layer running on top of it, and we haven't discussed the engine for Halo 4. We will talk about the engine later.

Interviewer: One more question.

Frankie: *grin stare* *looks around*

Interviewer: Are you adding new game modes to Halo Anniversary?

Frankie: Um... we'll be doing stuff in matchmaking that will be pretty interesting and certainly we will be respecting the original... uh the original matchmaking system feel all through xbox live. We will have more to talk about this at PAX.

Interviewer: Well, thank you for a time.

Frankie: It was a pleasure.

Interviewer: And have a great day!

Frankie: You too!

PooBone

claviertekky said:
I'm no court case typist, so this is a rough transcription of it since I'm bored.

Interviewer: Awesome (whisper: that's going on the wall) let me see if I can get... to your questions. What kind of new weapons do we expect to see…?

Frankie: So there are no new weapons in Halo anniversary edition 'cause it's a remake and uh all the classic weapons are returning…

Frankie: Um... uh we haven't discussed it. It's not impossible but there are no plans at this present time.

Interviewer: OK... uh... here's four questions from Sigbjorn in Norway? Where will he [Master Chief] get his weapons and ammo? What kind of enemies will we see? Will you have a helmet HUD? And how long has he been in space?

Frankie: Uh... so if I remember though, I'll go backwards. He's been in space for an undisclosed amount of time but not a short amount of time. Uh... he will get his weapons from uh at least from the giant military frigate he's standing.

Frankie: Uh... there will be changes in the HUD as they are in every single halo game. and uh... enemies are going to be an important part of the game, and we'll reveal more about that later.

Frankie: Uh... in the trailer, he's definitely exhibiting some kind of booster system but to call it the jetpack might be a little bit disingenuous.

Frankie: I wish I could tell you but those are things we will reveal at a later time but will we evolve respectively.

Interviewer: Yeah... uh... do you have any notion we can expect those releases at so we can look forward to them?

Frankie: Certainly we can tell people more about Halo 4 at PAX this year starting August 26 to August 28 in Seattle. Um... and as we go through this 10th anniversary, we will be celebrating this in interesting ways.

Interviewer: all right. Is Halo 4 going to be on a new engine or an existing one?
Frankie: Halo anniversary exists on two engines simultaneously. It's a Halo CE engine with a graphical layer running on top of it, and we haven't discussed the engine for Halo 4. We will talk about the engine later.

Frankie: Um... we'll be doing stuff in matchmaking that will be pretty interesting and certainly we will be respecting the original... uh the original matchmaking system feel all through xbox live. We will have more to talk about this at PAX.

thanks claviertekky. Bizarre interview.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kibbles said:
"Fan talks to Frankie" Really? Didn't sound like a fan to me, sounded like he had to look-up random questions and didn't know what he was talking about.

At least he has a new business card to... frame on his wall?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
claviertekky said:

Interviewer: All right. Is Halo 4 going to be on a new engine or an existing one?

It was most unusual.

Plasmid

So Halo CE: Anniversary is going to run on reach, will it be on the disk? How is it going to work ie you hit Halo Reach Multiplayer and it asks you to insert Reach?

clav

Plasmid said:
So Halo CE: Anniversary is going to run on reach, will it be on the disk? How is it going to work ie you hit Halo Reach Multiplayer and it asks you to insert Reach?
One disk.

Campaign uses original game + #include tighteningupgfx + #include 2-player co-op net code (or for the case of C#, probably replace #include with "using xyz").

Copy/Pasta Reach MP's assets which is probably 1GB.

New maps will be distributed via downloadable code in the box.

Stinkles

claviertekky said:
One disk.

Campaign uses original game + #include tighteningupgfx + #include 2-player co-op net code (or for the case of C#, probably replace #include with "using xyz").

Copy/Pasta Reach MP's assets which is probably 1GB.

New maps will be distributed via downloadable code in the box.

The seven MP Maps will run off the single disc, selected from main menu. For Anniversary purchasers (i.e, people not using a Reach disc) the experience will be seamless. It will not ask you to insert Reach disc, for example.

Anniversary purchasers will get a full MP experience included with their purchase, including those maps, as well as Reach MP features - Forge, Saved Films etc. Despite a couple of posts to the contrary in this thread.

This is not a "bald faced lie."

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
Yeah, very curious as well. She seem to work on something big.
maybe a universal engine for the next xbox?
btW: is the sp of anniversary really using the reach engine? i thought only the mp is using it and that the sp engine is done by saber?

clav

OuterWorldVoice said:
The seven MP Maps will run off the single disc, selected from main menu. For Anniversary purchasers (i.e, people not using a Reach disc) the experience will be seamless. It will not ask you to insert Reach disc, for example.

Anniversary purchasers will get a full MP experience included with their purchase, including those maps, as well as Reach MP features - Forge, Saved Films etc. Despite a couple of posts to the contrary in this thread.

I was under the impression for people who have Reach and do not choose to buy Anniversary, they can download the new 7 maps through DLC.

Has this changed or was it that the CE disk has the maps, thus no DLC code?

OK, I guess it's the later then. I suppose that was implemented in the case of trade-in sales that used copies will contain the maps.

Stinkles

S1kkZ said:
maybe a universal engine for the next xbox?
btW: is the sp of anniversary really using the reach engine? i thought only the mp is using it and that the sp engine is done by saber?

SP uses the original Halo CE engine. The graphics layer that runs on top of it is Saber's tech.

Stinkles

claviertekky said:
I was under the impression for people who have Reach and do not choose to buy Anniversary, they can download the new 7 maps through DLC.

Has this changed or was it that the CE disk has the maps, thus no DLC code?

OK, I guess it's the later then. I suppose that was implemented in the case of trade-in sales that used copies will contain the maps.

The exact when and how of Reach users getting the DLC is not baked yet. But I would tell folks that they don't have to worry about a huge time gulf between Anniversary's release and the maps as DLC as may have been the case in the past.

derFeef

OuterWorldVoice said:
SP uses the original Halo CE engine. The graphics layer that runs on top of it is Saber's tech.
Oh I did not know that, really interesting. I saw some animations straight out of Reach in that trailer, I guess that was multiplayer/firefight then?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Wait, so the graphic's layer is not the Reach engine? Does it have saved films?

Also, it would be amazing if H4 is a graphical leap from Reach the same way Reach was a graphical leap from H3. I remember watching a Corinne Yu interview on the untapped graphical power of the 360, so I know she won't dissapoint. At the very least, please fix the framerate drops, and I will give you my first born if you make the game run at 720p without jaggies.

MNC said:
Wow Frankie looks baaaaaaaad.
OXM Frankie > all.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Very cool.

So as a Reach owner, who has Reach DLC.. will this special Anniversary/Reach disk let me play all other Reach modes and my DLC maps and all that?

Also.. does 343 do office tours? lol My girlfriend who just moved here from California has been begging me to figure out how to tour Valve, as well as anything Halo related.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The exact when and how of Reach users getting the DLC is not baked yet. But I would tell folks that they don't have to worry about a huge time gulf between Anniversary's release and the maps as DLC as may have been the case in the past.

For people that buy Anniversary, they will be able to DL the maps to their hard drive so they can use them with the entire Reach suite correct?

Steelyuhas said:
For people that buy Anniversary, they will be able to DL the maps to their hard drive so they can use them with the entire Reach suite correct?

I would guess the other way around.

Owning Anniversary will make your Reach disk obsolete.

Steelyuhas said:
DL all of Reach MP and DLC maps to use in Anniversary? That sounds very unlikely.

Didn't ODST come with the entirety of Halo 3 MP?

The difference being it was a separate disk.

It sounds like they've streamlined it.. but I think it would be odd if by "Full MP experience" Frankie means it will only have the 7 maps and it's own game mode.

What do you mean "DL"?

It wouldn't need to be downloaded.. Reach MP is included.. if you have previously bought DLC this disk will be compatible with it. You wouldn't need to download all Reach maps.

nVidiot_Whore said:
Didn't ODST come with the entirety of Halo 3 MP?

The difference being it was a separate disk.

It sounds like they've streamlined it.. but I think it would be odd if by "Full MP experience" Frankie means it will only have the 7 maps and it's own game mode.

What do you mean "DL"?

It wouldn't need to be downloaded.. Reach MP is included.. if you have previously bought DLC this disk will be compatible with it. You wouldn't need to download all Reach maps.

On the Anniversary disc, there is only the 7 new maps. Reach disc maps and Reach DLC maps are not on the Anniversary disk, unlike ODST.

So the full Reach suite is not possible using the Anniversary disc, because even if the DLC (Noble and Defiant) worked with the Anniversary disc, the Reach disc maps are still on the Reach disc.

The most likely solution to this is that you get a code or token with Anniversary to download (what I meant by DL) the new maps to your hard drive so that when you fire up Reach, you can play the full multiplayer experience (full meaning Reach disc maps, Noble, Defiant, and the Anniversary maps).

I am trying to get a confirmation of this.

Top Bottom