• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Steelyuhas said:
So the full Reach suite is not possible using the Anniversary disc, because even if the DLC (Noble and Defiant) worked with the Anniversary disc, the Reach disc maps are still on the Reach disc.

I guess I can see that.

The difference being ODST, which came with all of Halo 3's multi-player, was a full $60.

A $40 CEA might not be so generous.. but I dunno.. I could still see MS giving away all of Reach multi-player with CEA... it's not like Reach is still selling well is it?

There is no technical reason they couldn't do what I said though.

BY2K said:
So, wait, it will have co-op, but no multiplayer?

Halo : CE's split screen co-op has been ported to work over live.

Halo : CE's split screen/system link has not been ported to work over live.

However, multi-player is included in the form of 7 maps, running in the Reach multi-player engine, with some sort of Halo CE Classic playlist type or game mode.

So yes, the game includes multiplayer.. just not the original multiplayer.

zethren

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
DL all of Reach MP and DLC maps to use in Anniversary? That sounds very unlikely.

Halo CE: Anniversary comes with Reach multiplayer out of the box, plus the 7 new remade maps. I would imagine that the other 2 DLC map-packs will be accessible from the Halo CE:A multiplayer hub (if you purchased them of course) which will make the Halo Reach disc obsolete, in regards to the multiplayer.

That's my understanding of it.

EDIT:

Just noticed your post above. Halo CE:A doesn't come with Halo Reach disc maps in multiplayer, and just the new 7? Hmm, I assumed it would be a similar deal as ODST as others are saying. Yeah, confirmation would be helpful.

thatbox

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
The seven MP Maps will run off the single disc, selected from main menu. For Anniversary purchasers (i.e, people not using a Reach disc) the experience will be seamless. It will not ask you to insert Reach disc, for example.

Anniversary purchasers will get a full MP experience included with their purchase, including those maps, as well as Reach MP features - Forge, Saved Films etc. Despite a couple of posts to the contrary in this thread.

This is not a "bald faced lie."
To be fair, according the that screenshot, you're straight up calling it "Halo Reach Multiplayer" in the menu.

zethren said:
Halo CE:A doesn't come with Halo Reach disc maps in multiplayer, and just the new 7?

Stealhaus is speaking in absolutes when the question hasn't been answered.

According to Frankie, the "Full MP Experience" is included on disk.

I'm assuming the same thing you are, he's talking about all of Reach Multiplayer, so Halo CEA's disk will make your Reach disk obsolete.

thatbox said:
To be fair, according the that screenshot, you're straight up calling it "Halo Reach Multiplayer" in the menu.

You and Izayoi's mis-information campaign has already been succesful. Can you guys just give it a rest.

The game ships with multi-player.. yes.. it's Reach's multiplayer w/ additional content.. you guys don't like that.. continuously repeating that it contains "no multiplayer component" has only caused confusion and thread de-raling.

nVidiot_Whore said:
Stealhaus is speaking in absolutes when the question hasn't been answered.

According to Frankie, the "Full MP Experience" is included on disk.

I'm assuming the same thing you are, he's talking about all of Reach Multiplayer, so Halo CEA's disk will make your Reach disk obsolete.

I swear I saw somewhere that the Anniversary disc only had the 7 new maps, but I could be bat-shit crazy.

That's why I'm trying to get a confirmation of the whole map situation.

Steelyuhas said:
I swear I saw somewhere that the Anniversary disc only had the 7 new maps, but I could be bat-shit crazy.

That's why I'm trying to get a confirmation of the whole map situation.

Jesus I butchered your username.. lol

I was wondering why you kept repeating it as fact. Interesting. Frankie's comment seems to indicate otherwise.

That might not even be enitrely decided yet though.. hence his lack of clarification.

In due time. It will never be entirely convenient as long as you actually play Reach's campaign mode.. considering challenges reference it, using your Halo : CEA disk, and clicking on "Go to lobby" for any campaign challenge would actually require a Reach disk at that point. There's no way it comes with the Reach campaign.. so you'll need both disks regardless for the full "Reach + CEA" experience.

nVidiot_Whore said:
Jesus I butchered your username.. lol

I was wondering why you kept repeating it as fact. Interesting. Frankie's comment seems to indicate otherwise.

That might not even be enitrely decided yet though.. hence his lack of clarification.

In due time. It will never be entirely convenient as long as you actually play Reach's campaign mode.. considering challenges reference it, using your Halo : CEA disk, and clicking on "Go to lobby" for any campaign challenge would actually require a Reach disk at that point. There's no way it comes with the Reach campaign.. so you'll need both disks regardless for the full "Reach + CEA" experience.

Yeah I feel for continuing to play Reach, including the new maps, both in standard Reach and the new "classic plus plus", it would actually be more convenient for the CEA maps to be downloaded to the hard drive, and use the Reach disc to play everything that Reach offers, including the new maps.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I feel for continuing to play Reach, including the new maps, both in standard Reach and the new "classic plus plus", it would actually be more convenient for the CEA maps to be downloaded to the hard drive, and use the Reach disc to play everything that Reach offers, including the new maps.

Well it would be most convenient if we could have the option to install them both together into some Halo ReachCEA(round) package on our hard drives and use either disk, and all content across both games would be available, including campaigns.

I'd also like a foot rub from Frankie.. and a Thai Iced Tea.

The Halo: CEA disc does NOT have the Halo: Reach multiplayer maps on it. It also does NOT have the Noble or Defiant map pack.

So let's ignore the Noble and Defiant packs for a minute. This leaves us with THREE scenarios:

1) People who only have Halo: Reach. These people can only play on the Reach maps (obviously) and might not be able to access the "Classic++" playlist (unconfirmed, but I imagine this is true).

2) People who only have Halo: CE Anniversary. These people can only play on the 7 Classic maps. It's still technically "Reach multiplayer" since it uses the Reach engine and includes Forge and Theater modes, but it is launched from the Halo: CEA disc.

3) People who own both Halo: Reach AND Halo: CEA. These people can play one of the above two scenarios OR they can use the Classic token that comes with CEA. This lets them save (or download possibly) the Classic maps to their Xbox hard drive and access them using the Reach disc. For these people the Classic maps will be integrated into ALL of the playlists, not just the "Classic++" playlist. (Although I imagine there may be a playlist for people in Group 2 to play the 7 classic maps with non-classic settings as well.)

Eventually the Classic maps will be offered as standalone DLC, so that the people in Group 1 can play on them without needing to buy CEA. However, this won't happen until well after CEA's release, so if you want to play on the maps this Winter you need to buy CEA.

NOTE: This is just my understanding. I think it's fairly accurate, but I could always be wrong. Regardless, we'll get more details at PAX.

If it's just your understanding, you shouldn't be making a giant bolded post.

No offense.

Actually links to why that's your understanding would be more helpful.

clav

nVidiot_Whore said:

You're wrong that it doesn't have original Reach MP maps. No way 343i would pull that, and it doesn't make sense either.

This is supposed to be the disk that sits in the Halo box after Reach.

There's a screenshot I posted in the previous page.

mvEZS.gif

That second line reads Halo Reach Multiplayer.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
NOTE: This is just my understanding. I think it's fairly accurate, but I could always be wrong. Regardless, we'll get more details at PAX.
Pretty sure this is exactly how it was explained during all the E3 madness.

The image above is likely just a clarification that the multiplayer runs on the Reach engine (launching a new executable ala the recent Call of Duty model). This is not an ODST-style release, that much was said outright.

Havok said:
Yep. "Just my understanding" means I am not 100% on the playlist setup and the "Classic token". Everything else has been confirmed mutliple times on various news sites and in this thread.

The Halo: CEA disc does NOT have the Halo: Reach multiplayer maps on it. It also does NOT have the Noble or Defiant map pack.

This is not conjecture. This is fact.

dealwithit.gif

darthbob

claviertekky said:
You're wrong that it doesn't have original Reach MP maps. No way 343i would pull that, and it doesn't make sense either.

No, you're wrong. It only has the seven new maps, no original Reach Maps.

clav

Havok said:

The image above is likely just a clarification that the multiplayer runs on the Reach engine (launching a new executable ala the recent Call of Duty model). This is not an ODST-style release, that much was said outright.
So if people wanted to play old Firefight maps from Reach, they would need the Reach disk again?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I thought the purpose to use the Reach MP use was not to fragment the current base. By having all the MP features + maps of the original Reach disk on CEA, this will not fragment the base + it'll come with 7 additional maps on disk/DLC (has not been decided according to Frankie).
ncsuDuncan said:
Yep. "Just my understanding" means I am not 100% on the playlist setup and the "Classic token". Everything else has been confirmed mutliple times on various news sites and in this thread.

This is not conjecture. This is fact.

dealwithit.gif
darthbob said:
No, you're wrong. It only has the seven new maps, no original Reach Maps.

What...... then what was the point of releasing this on Reach MP then?

The answer is not fragmentation then.

ncsuDuncan said:

So let's ignore the Noble and Defiant packs for a minute. This leaves us with THREE scenarios:

1) People who only have Halo: Reach. These people can only play on the Reach maps (obviously) and might not be able to access the "Classic++" playlist (unconfirmed, but I imagine this is true).

2) People who only have Halo: CE Anniversary. These people can only play on the 7 Classic maps. It's still technically "Reach multiplayer" since it uses the Reach engine and includes Forge and Theater modes, but it is launched from the Halo: CEA disc.

3) People who own both Halo: Reach AND Halo: CEA. These people can play one of the above two scenarios OR they can use the Classic token that comes with CEA. This lets them save (or download possibly) the Classic maps to their Xbox hard drive and access them using the Reach disc. For these people the Classic maps will be integrated into ALL of the playlists, not just the "Classic++" playlist. (Although I imagine there may be a playlist for people in Group 2 to play the 7 classic maps with non-classic settings as well.)

Eventually the Classic maps will be offered as standalone DLC, so that the people in Group 1 can play on them without needing to buy CEA. However, this won't happen until well after CEA's release, so if you want to play on the maps this Winter you need to buy CEA.

This is how I understand it as well, but I am looking for some confirmation from 343 amid all this confusion about it.

claviertekky said:

mvEZS.gif

That second line reads Halo Reach Multiplayer.

The CEA maps are playing in "Halo Reach Multiplayer". That doesn't mean that the Reach disc maps are one there.

Also, I doubt that the Reach disc maps would be able to fit on the DVD with everything else in CEA.

claviertekky said:
So if people wanted to play old Firefight maps from Reach, they would need the Reach disk again?

I thought the purpose to use the Reach MP use was not to fragment the current base. By having all the MP features + maps of the original Reach disk on CEA, this will not fragment the base + it'll come with 7 additional maps on disk/DLC (has not been decided according to Frankie).

What......

That's why you would be able to download the CEA maps to your hard drive, so you can use them all with Reach, new and old.

Havok

claviertekky said:

It doesn't fragment the base because those players can play cross-game (CEA users are just playing Reach, without access to the disc/Noble/Defiant Reach maps). The Classic++ playlist will be available to users of both games, thus no fragmentation occurs.

ncsuDuncan said:

nVidiot_Whore said:

No offense.

Actually links to why that's your understanding would be more helpful.
It's his understanding from all the coverage from E3. The Giantbomb podcast, the Bombcast is one such source.

ncsuDuncan is right from what 343 were saying at E3. It could change to the more sensible all of Reach on the disk, but I assume space might be an issue, in which case they should do like with ODST, a mythic disk.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html

343i: This will be one retail disc, 39.99, everything launches out of one menu. It's kind of like a one-disc ODST - obviously it doesn't have the other DLC, because most people who buy this are going to have Reach already.

It just has the 7 new maps - Reach's original multiplayer maps are not included.

If you just have Reach, and you don't want to play this, we will make these available for separate purchase eventually. We're not saying how long 'eventually' is right now, but it's not an amount of time that will upset anyone.

There will be a playlist for just these maps. Reach players will be able to directly play seamlessly in that playlist, and those maps will also be integrated into other playlists. We'll try and make a very central place to play just these maps, so there'll be a good population, but eventually they'll end up in all lists. We're going to do significant stuff with matchmaking playlists to make sure that these are respectful of original system link-type games. You know how there's a Classic playlist right now? Imagine that, but plus-plus, and some other stuff we can't talk about right now.

clav

Steelyuhas said:
This is how I understand it as well, but I am looking for some confirmation from 343 amid all this confusion about it.

The CEA maps are playing in "Halo Reach Multiplayer". That doesn't mean that the Reach disc maps are one there.

Also, I doubt that the Reach disc maps would be able to fit on the DVD with everything else in CEA.

That's why you would be able to download the CEA maps to your hard drive, so you can use them all with Reach, new and old.

I'm not sure about download as Frankie made it seem like the new 7 remade maps will be on the disk last page.

darthbob said:

Amazin86er said:

Ok, so HBO has it so.

Might change though.

We'll see what happens at PAX.

Havok said:
It doesn't fragment the base because those players can play cross-game (CEA users are just playing Reach, without access to the disc/Noble/Defiant Reach maps). The Classic++ playlist will be available to users of both games, thus no fragmentation occurs.

It does temporary. He said the map pack will be unvealed at a later date for those sticking to Reach.

All right. No more speculation until August 26.

darthbob said:

Thanks..

Strange.

It's not "just like a one disk ODST" then. An odd thing to say... and very odd if they leave the menu saying "Halo Reach Multiplayer."

Halo Reach is a product you can buy.. that has maps, game modes, etc.. claiming in your menu that you are accessing "Halo Reach Multiplayer", when it is in fact, not Halo Reach Multiplayer is a bit strange.

ODST came with "Halo 3 Multiplayer".. the actual game maps and everything.

clav

nVidiot_Whore said:
Thanks..

Strange.

It's not "just like a one disk ODST" then. An odd thing to say... and very odd if they leave the menu saying "Halo Reach Multiplayer."

Halo Reach is a product you can buy.. that has maps, game modes, etc.. claiming in your menu that you are accessing "Halo Reach Multiplayer", when it is in fact, not Halo Reach Multiplayer is a bit strange.

Halo 3 ODST traditional multiplayer was on a separate disk though.

Interesting tidbit from the HBO interview:

HBO: If I own Halo: Reach, and I buy Halo: Anniversary, will I have a way to play ALL the maps (the original Reach maps, any DLC I've purchased, and the 7 new maps) at once, without having to swap discs?

343i: Yes, this will be possible. Details will be forthcoming before release.

Wait until PAX. We'll be confused until then.

darthbob

nVidiot_Whore said:
Thanks..

Strange.

I'd assume that what happens is that it 'de-loads' the Halo 1 engine, and loads Halo: Reach's engine, and takes you into the Main Menu of Halo Reach with Custom Games, Forge, and Matchmaking as options.

idk

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
claviertekky said:

Ok, great as long as it is possible, I am fine with it.

claviertekky said:

Yes.. and "Halo ODST on One Disk" would have included all of Halo 3's multiplayer.. on one disk.

Cool!

Makes sense. Sorry for claiming people weren't stating facts when they were!!!

I think it's a little bit lame IMO.. but I own Reach anyways.. lol.. just seems like it would be really odd to have "Full MP Experience" with one game mode and 7 maps.. and Frankie, no offense, but you should be a little more careful with your wording. The Full MP experience of Halo Reach is NOT included.. because again, "Halo Reach" is a product you can buy.. and it's multiplayer experience includes maps and game modes that Halo CEA doesn't include.

Also.. how would things like "Challenges" work then? Will CEA have it's own challenges?

If it doesn't have challenges.. then it isn't even the "Full Halo Reach ENGINE Experience."

A minor quibble..but maybe "Full Halo Reach Engine Multiplayer Experience" would be a slightly more accurate way of portraying whats in the box.

WHATS IN THE BOOOOOOOX!!

WHATS IN THE FUCKING BOX!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so damn excited for the Terminal videos. Can't wait, omg.

darthbob

nVidiot_Whore said:
A minor quibble..but maybe "Full Halo Reach Engine Multiplayer Experience" would be a slightly more accurate way of portraying whats in the box.

WHATS IN THE BOOOOOOOX!!

WHATS IN THE FUCKING BOX!

NOTHING!

YOU ARE SO STUPID! STUPID!

J/K Yeah, if you don't get it, go google "wheel of fish"

fernoca

All this just made more more clueless. I read..and read, and still don't get it. I know I'm dumb , but geeze.. :p

I mean. I have Reach. I'll buy Anniversary. If I want to play the 7 classic maps I have to insert the Anniversary disc? If I insert the Reach disc, I can't play the classic maps?

I thought there was going to be a token for the 7 maps and all I needed was to download that and play from Reach, and just insert Anniversary whenever i wanted to play the story, etc...but that doesn't seem to be the case. So do I need to buy the map pack later, if I want to play everything from the Reach-disc?

:\..I'm so lost. :p

Havok

fernoca said:
I thought there was going to be a token for the 7 maps and all I needed was to download that and play from Reach, and just insert Anniversary whenever i wanted to play the story, etc...

This is likely the case, with either a download token or an import feature included with CEA (in addition to the seven maps being included on the disc). It'll be detailed further as we get closer to release.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
fernoca said:
All this just made more more clueless. I read..and read, and still don't get it. I know I'm dumb , but geeze.. :p

I mean. I have Reach. I'll buy Anniversary. If I want to play the 7 classic maps I have to insert the Anniversary disc? If I insert the Reach disc, I can't play the classic maps?

I thought there was going to be a token for the 7 maps and all I needed was to download that and play from Reach, and just insert Anniversary whenever i wanted to play the story, etc...but that doesn't seem to be the case. So do I need to buy the map pack later, if I want to play everything from the Reach-disc?

There's a token AND the maps are on the disk. You choose how you access the maps yourself. You basically get two copies of the maps.

If you buy CEA, there's no need to buy the map pack as you are essentially getting a free copy of the maps to use with Reach via the token. The maps will still be on the CEA disk though too.

Toddler

What about the limit of multiple DLC items allowed per title?

I remember something about that being a clusterfugg when the Defiant Map Pack dropped.

wwm0nkey

Can't wait to find out what the Classic++ playlist is at PAX, even though its safe to assume its probably its just Halo 1 game play running on the Reach engine with halo 1 weapons ONLY available on those maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So wait, if you buy CEA, couldn't you just give your 'token' to a friend and access the maps yourself via CEA while your friend downloads the maps from your token and plays them using his/her Reach disc?

clav

Dani said:
There's a token AND the maps are on the disk. You choose how you access the maps yourself. You basically get two copies of the maps.

If you buy CEA, there's no need to buy the map pack as you are essentially getting a free copy of the maps to use with Reach via the token. The maps will still be on the CEA disk though too.
If this really is the case, I can see people trying to sell these codes on eBay for $20 or a bit less.

Alternatively, someone might just redeem the code and then sell it back to Gamestop/Amazon for 75% trade-in or something similar.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
So wait, if you buy CEA, couldn't you just give your 'token' to a friend and access the maps yourself via CEA while your friend downloads the maps from your token and plays them using his/her Reach disc?

Sure, it might be possible, but the person without the token would need to swap disks to play in any of the standard Reach playlists with a 0% chance of seeing the new maps outside of swapping disks.

Or there could be some new security thingie in place to prevent abuse. We just don't know the specifics, but on the surface of it and from what they've said, what you suggested sounds very possible.

If Steam can trust buyers with whole copies of the full game of Portal 2 on the PS3 with the potential of possible abuse/giveaway...

jgminto

I don't think it will be a token for the maps. It is more likely to be like the Mass Effect 1 DLC disc where you insert the disc and the maps copy from the disc to your hard drive. If it were a code you would essentially have two copies of the maps.

Dani said:

I will be satisfied with that.

fernoca

jgminto said:
I don't think it will be a token for the maps. It is more likely to be like the Mass Effect 1 DLC disc where you insert the disc and the maps copy from the disc to your hard drive. If it were a code you would essentially have two copies of the maps.
Yeah, but with the disc it will be worse, since like with ME (and Borderlands did recently too) people just share the disc with their friends and family, so everyone has the DLC. :p

PooBone

Steelyuhas said:
For people that buy Anniversary, they will be able to DL the maps to their hard drive so they can use them with the entire Reach suite correct?
this is correct. You'll still need the Reach disc to play all other Reach multiplayer maps and modes.
The Anniversary disc will just get you into the seven new maps and their associated playlists, which to be honest is probably the only thing I'm gonna play once I get my hands on this.... until Halo 4. :)

TheOddOne said:
He's the head of Microsoft Game Studios.
Exactly, he has so many projects under him, it wouldn't surprise me for someone that high up the ladder to make a false statement like this. It happens all the time.

Of course not quite as bad as when Jack Tretton said the Killzone trailer was all in-game footage. But seriously, if the "new" engine is based off Reach's source code, it wouldn't be a stretch so imagine someone up the ladder who doesn't have his nose in the project day in and day out making a statement like that.

I'd be extremely, EXTREMELY surprised if Halo 4 is just the Reach engine w/ new art assets.

wwm0nkey said:
Can't wait to find out what the Classic++ playlist is at PAX, even though its safe to assume its probably its just Halo 1 game play running on the Reach engine with halo 1 weapons ONLY available on those maps.

I really hope that is what it is.

bryansimon

Neo Member
So not looking forward to this. Was originally...when I thought it was going to be an actual remake. Not just new maps for Reach (which I already can't stand.)

Top Bottom