• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

metalshade

I say stuff the duke controller, I want to see a 360 compatible version of my old Mad Catz mini controller, I loved that thing.
(side note, will deffo be getting halo anni, it is just too good to pass up!)

soldat7

Painkilller said:
All I'm hoping for is that this "remake" has a "remade" Library level!!! Talk about monotonous and boring!!!

Shame on you. Amazing level, amazing atmosphere, amazing challenge. Dark, oppressive, seemingly endless. Brilliant.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Xenon said:
They'll prob let the players hug Cortana.
For.

CyReN said:

Is that how you see it? The Kinect features most likely will be some fan service stuff, as in being able to navigate some covenant interfaces or special features stuff. Also, the resources to add Kinect support are completely different from the resources to implement MP. Moreover, Frankie already stated there were reasons beyond feasibility as to why the decisions were taken regarding MP.

MrBig

CyReN said:
I can tell you right now that it will not be possible for the game to be controlled by connect, so what are you mad at? Honestly, I would like to know. The most it could be is some interaction with the terminals or something from the Extras menu.

If you want to play Halo 1 multiplayer you already have 4 venues to play it on: LAN, PC (not to mention all of the thousands of community maps that have been created for it, some of which I had a hand in making), XBC, XKai. In fact, since you seem to care so adamantly about the H1 multiplayer, I can tell that you would be more mad that they would have changed so much to update the mp suite. I just don't see the reasoning behind wanting another Halo game to play on live at this very moment, before you see what has been done with "Classic++."

CyReN

MrBig said:
I can tell you right now that it will not be possible for the game to be controlled by connect, so what are you mad at? Honestly, I would like to know. The most it could be is some interaction with the terminals or something from the Extras menu.

If you want to play Halo 1 multiplayer you already have 4 venues to play it on: LAN, PC (not to mention all of the thousands of community maps that have been created for it, some of which I had a hand in making), XBC, XKai. In fact, since you seem to care so adamantly about the H1 multiplayer, I can tell that you would be more mad that they would have changed so much to update the mp suite. I just don't see the reasoning behind wanting another Halo game to play on live at this very moment, before you see what has been done with "Classic++."

Those are all great and dandy but with the 360 being terrible for Halo 1 and buying stuff for the original xbox becoming harder and harder to find it makes it very difficult for my friends and I to play. We grew up playing Halo on Xbox not the PC too.

MrBig

CyReN said:
Those are all great and dandy but with the 360 being terrible for Halo 1 and buying stuff for the original xbox becoming harder and harder to find it makes it very difficult for my friends and I to play. We grew up playing Halo on Xbox not the PC too.
The only part of the 360 controller not supported on the pc version is graduated analog movement.
Not to mention playing it at 1920x1080.

CyReN

MrBig said:
The only part of the 360 controller not supported on the pc version is graduated analog movement.
Not to mention playing it at 1920x1080.

I'm a console gamer..

but thanks for the recommendations.

CyReN

OuterWorldVoice said:
Oh Cyren.

The MP will be controlled exclusively via Kinect! No controller needed!

Or the Kinect functionality will be some neat but minor addition. I can't remember...

I still love you.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
Or if it exists, the Kinect functionality will be some neat but minor addition. I can't remember...
You cruel monsters!!!! How could you guys taint Halo with that super obtrusive Kinect filth? I have been finetunning my pad skills for 10 years, I don't want to pew pew grunts!!!!!!! *river of tears*

TheOddOne

Letters said:
You cruel monsters!!!! How could you guys taint Halo with that super obtrusive Kinect filth? I have been finetunning my pad skills for 10 years, I don't want to pew pew grunts!!!!!!! *river of tears*
tumblr_lhjjq8T6CC1qe2zhmo1_500.gif

Letters said:

To be fair I have yet to see Kinect do anything other than tacky mini games, as much as I dont mind it being an optional thing, it would suck if it was a main aspect of the game. Hell it would suck if the kinect thing is impossible to try out with a regular controller.

So yeah, please keep that outta my Halo!

feel

TheOddOne said:
Haha, that gif seems to capture the reaction of pretty much every poster in the new thread.

Wasn't really feeling it in that audio clip, guilty spark sounded odd, but then the sexy music came on.... OH HELL YEAH GIMMEEE

feel

Mr Vociferous said:
Ironically, Krieger looks like he's using Kinect in that shot.
Tip: Punch the floor to activate Armor Lock

I'M PUNCHING IT, I'M PUNCHING IT AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!

clav

Letters said:
Tip: Punch the floor to activate Armor Lock

I'M PUNCHING IT, I'M PUNCHING IT AND NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!
My mind flashed a hilarious image of someone repeatedly trying to do that.

Haha.

COME ON ARMOR LOCK WHY WON'T YOU ACTIVATE YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Alucrid said:
That guilty spark doesn't even sound like a mechanical being. It sucks. Awful VA.
- It's the same voice actor (Tim Dadabo).
- It's likely it isn't the final audio (the game doesn't come out until November, even Master Chief's helmet in the trailer wasn't final.)
- This clip wasn't intended for public release.

I don't think it's fair to judge the voice acting quite yet.

clav

ncsuDuncan said:
- It's likely it isn't the final audio (the game doesn't come out until November, even Master Chief's helmet in the trailer wasn't final.)

The audio quality is horribly degraded through compression and probably the original source mic sucks as well.

AlStrong

MrBig said:
I'm quite certain that Halo 1 can't have AA because it just wasn't a supported feature at the time and so is not a part of the original Blam! engine. You can't even force it on PC.

I'm pretty sure Halo CE BC on 360 had MSAA.

Halo PC didn't support MSAA because DirectX9 doesn't support it while using Multiple Render Targets (which was used to support certain effects). On console, there was freer access to the render targets to be able to pull off certain things.

ido

I have kept up with this thread since the very beginning, and I am still baffled at the people who are so adamantly proclaiming a butchered MP experience to be a good idea. If you are satisfied with a butchered MP experience, by all means, be happy about it. I am not happy about it.

Arguing over if the SP experience was more popular than the MP experience is also ridiculous, and it doesn't matter. They were both insanely popular, but we can hopefully all somewhat agree that the MP experience gave the game legs that kept it popular for many many years. I did read a thread where a guy said he played the campaign for over 2,000 hours... really? I'm not one to call bullshit very often, but you played Halo CE campaign for over 83 days straight? Really?

But yes, I am sore about the exclusion of the original MP experience. I loved being able to grenade the sniper/rockets to myself from across the map(Hang 'em High was my favorite map to do this). I loved being able to safe-fall to avoid fall damage from insane heights. I loved the walkspeed, jumping, the grenade physics, the backpack reloading... Everyone who is experienced with the MP of CE knows exactly what I mean here. But apparently a few posters in this thread find it absurd that we should expect this. Please, bitch at me some more for stating a very valid critique of the announced features of this game.

Heretic

ido said:
I have kept up with this thread since the very beginning, and I am still baffled at the people who are so adamantly proclaiming a butchered MP experience to be a good idea. If you are satisfied with a butchered MP experience, by all means, be happy about it. I am not happy about it.

Arguing over if the SP experience was more popular than the MP experience is also ridiculous, and it doesn't matter. They were both insanely popular, but we can hopefully all somewhat agree that the MP experience gave the game legs that kept it popular for many many years. I did read a thread where a guy said he played the campaign for over 2,000 hours... really? I'm not one to call bullshit very often, but you played Halo CE campaign for over 83 days straight? Really?

But yes, I am sore about the exclusion of the original MP experience. I loved being able to grenade the sniper/rockets to myself from across the map(Hang 'em High was my favorite map to do this). I loved being able to safe-fall to avoid fall damage from insane heights. I loved the walkspeed, jumping, the grenade physics, the backpack reloading... Everyone who is experienced with the MP of CE knows exactly what I mean here. But apparently a few posters in this thread find it absurd that we should expect this. Please, bitch at me some more for stating a very valid critique of the announced features of this game.
Meh...

I'm happy i'm getting to play the campaign that i've loved for years and it's been remastered. If they re-released it for the 720 i'd buy that one too. I'm going to miss multiplayer and I quit reach because of AA so I understand the hate but the world is too memorable to pass up on when there's a new coat to it.

GavinGT

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Oh Cyren.

The MP will be controlled exclusively via Kinect! No controller needed!

Or if it exists, the Kinect functionality will be some neat but minor addition. I can't remember...

I'm really hoping the Kinect feature is something I can use as a supplement to the controller. For example, I wouldn't mind if I could use my Kinect to throw grenades or something. But a separate controller-free Kinect experience inside my Halo game is not something I'd be looking forward to, as both a Halo fan and a Kinect owner. Please, no grunt stomping mini-game, and no Forza-esque Warthog hubcap viewer mode.

I really think Kinect is something that the hardcore could get excited about, but only if it's used to supplement their current controller experiences.

Booshka

Heretic said:
Meh...

I'm happy i'm getting to play the campaign that i've loved for years and it's been remastered. If they re-released it for the 720 i'd buy that one too. I'm going to miss multiplayer and I quit reach because of AA so I understand the hate but the world is too memorable to pass up on when there's a new coat to it.
I'd rather play the Campaign with original graphics and assets at 60 fps instead of a new coat of paint at 30 and below fps.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Alucrid said:
That guilty spark doesn't even sound like a mechanical being. It sucks. Awful VA.
It's Tim Dadabo, the same actor, using the same voice filter, playing the same character. Blame the fact that it's being recorded on a balcony on the E3 show floor.

ncsuDuncan said:

Didn't you get the memo? It sucks. Because jumping to conclusions is the right thing to do for everything.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Ok this is my only gripe with "better with Kinect". If you are designing something to function with hardware that works so much differently than a controller, it's going to affect the final product regardless if you're still able to use a controller instead. One good example would be the update for the XBL dashboard. Yeah it looks great and everything, but you can tell it has been designed for people to move their hands over the big boxes, and putting controller navigation in the back seat.

I'll be cautiously optimistic about any possible Kinect integration with CEA, but I can't help to be a bit nervous about what is being held back and redesigned to make it "better" with Kinect.

GavinGT

Banned
Booshka said:
Halo is a console shooter, played best on controller.

I would say to use a 360 controller, but Halo PC was built with digital controls in mind, so that doesn't translate well to an analog joystick. It's pretty much the same once you get used to keyboard and mouse, though. Better even.

Of course, its multiplayer is still practically unplayable due to the netcode.

Ryaaan14 said:
Ok this is my only gripe with "better with Kinect". If you are designing something to function with hardware that works so much differently than a controller, it's going to affect the final product regardless if you're still able to use a controller instead. One good example would be the update for the XBL dashboard. Yeah it looks great and everything, but you can tell it has been designed for people to move their hands over the big boxes, and putting controller navigation in the back seat.

I'll be cautiously optimistic about any possible Kinect integration with CEA, but I can't help to be a bit nervous about what is being held back and redesigned to make it "better" with Kinect.

Kinect has a separate dash. I take it you haven't used it yet? The normal dashboard can't even be operated using Kinect controls.

Also, there's no way in hell they're implementing a mode to play the full game with Kinect, so it's not like they have to make compromises everywhere to fit in Kinect support. If anything, they've already made the biggest compromise by refusing to give us actual multiplayer.

ElRenoRaven

GavinGT said:
I would say to use a 360 controller, but Halo PC was built with digital controls in mind, so that doesn't translate well to an analog joystick. It's pretty much the same once you get used to keyboard and mouse, though. Better even.

Of course, its multiplayer is still practically unplayable due to the netcode.

Kinect has a separate dash. I take it you haven't used it yet? The normal dashboard can't even be operated using Kinect controls.

Also, there's no way in hell they're implementing a mode to play the full game with Kinect.

Yup. I'd love for the new overlords of Halo to patch it to properly support a controller but that will never happen. Even if it was just a deadzone setting for the controllers that would fix my complaint.

Ryaaan14

Banned
GavinGT said:
I meant the one revealed at E3, I was under the impression that was the UI with or without Kinect.

GavinGT

Banned
Ryaaan14 said:
I meant the one revealed at E3, I was under the impression that was the UI with or without Kinect.

Ahh, you're probably right. I was most likely facepalming at the time so I must have missed it.

ido

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep. You totally cannot hook up a controller to a PC. Nope. No way.

If you have actually ever tried this, it's not the same experience due to digital vs. analog support. You cannot slowly move the analog stick to walk around on PC with a controller... it's either all or nothing. So no, it's absolutely not the same experience at all(at least Halo PC Multiplayer).

PNut

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep. You totally cannot hook up a controller to a PC. Nope. No way.

Oh you can but it's not the same. Like the poster above pointed out.

Also, I glad there's no MP being added for this release. Halo Reach and Halo 3 MP both have a great population of players and there's no reason to fragment the population for a remake of a 10 year old game. Especially since we're getting Halo 4 late next year. And I don't think it would do that great as a MP experience anyway with those 2 games still doing well. Halo CE MP was about playing with your real life buds in the same room.

Yes, I stand corrected. I totally forgot my experience with Halo PC trying to use the Xbox S controller with an adaptor I got from Lik-Sang in 2004. Didn't quite work, heh.

Jadedx

Banned
This whole multi complaint thing is weird to me, why is it so important that they remake multi? Why not just use the Reach multi and have a dedicated playlist that emulates the settings and weapons of halo 1?

CyReN

PNut said:
Oh you can but it's not the same. Like the poster above pointed out.

Also, I glad there's no MP being added for this release. Halo Reach and Halo 3 MP both have a great population of players and there's no reason to fragment the population for a remake of a 10 year old game. Especially since we're getting Halo 4 late next year. And I don't think it would do that great as a MP experience anyway with those 2 games still doing well. Halo CE MP was about playing with your real life buds in the same room.

Call of Duty comes out with releases every year, I can't see why Halo couldn't do it for 3 straight years (Reach, CE, 4).

Halo CE was about playing with your buddies, lanning marathon over the weekend etc 10 years back, but when you and your friends are a bit older now and have responsibilities it makes it very difficult to throw a lan for 1 game. With where technology and XBL is at right now it just feels like a kick in the balls.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
CyReN said:
Call of Duty comes out with releases every year, I can't see why Halo couldn't do it for 3 straight years (Reach, CE, 4).

Halo CE was about playing with your buddies, lanning marathon over the weekend etc 10 years back, but when you and your friends are a bit older now and have responsibilities it makes it very difficult to throw a lan for 1 game. With where technology and XBL is at right now it just feels like a kick in the balls.
I hope 2013's game isn't an FPS though. I hope 343i also looks into other ways to have fun with the franchise.

Remmeber Halo Zero?

screen1_1_.jpg

Imagine it now with the level of craziness of a Metal Slug game and HD sprites. I would pay mad money for it.

Top Bottom