• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

This is by far the coolest looking game MS showed today. I can't really get excited for Halo 4 from a little teaser that looks more like the extended version of the Halo 3 ending than anything new.

Grisby

It makes sense about the MP. Why would they split the player base from Reach or H3 eve more?

I'm cool with it and $40 is a great price.

Izayoi

Banned
Pandoracell said:
O'conner just said on GTTV that the remake runs on the same gameplay and physics engine that powered the original.
That's great and all, but why the fuck couldn't they include the original multiplayer?

I can't wait to have betray fests in co-op! No matter what, whenever I pick up Halo: CE to play co-op there ends up being a dozen dead MCs before anything gets done.

Also, I hope the Library is scarier with the new atmosphere! Can't fucking wait. :D

Kunan

It would be cool if they had a commentary track you could play through the game to that utilized the anniversary/classic switcher

rasberryjam said:
Yes, for real. Why would they add more competition to Reach? It'd be crazy to split up their fanbase like that so soon.

I think adding classic maps to Reach is a good move, now all I need is a Zanzibar remake and everything will be golden.
because it's a huge 'fuck you' to the fans of the original, essentially only giving them half the game

I think 40 is a fair price. Halo 1 was such a great experience with my friends in co op so it'll be fun to revisit that online with friends.

Kinda bummed it doesn't have proper multiplayer Halo CE style but ill still bite.

MS had the chance to really do something special for Halo fans, they really dropped the ball.

Orayn

Smision said:
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

what in the flying fuck microsoft. way to drop the ball.
Dude, they can replicate Halo CE's multiplayer in the Reach engine. They already have.

Honestly, I don't like the look of this remake at all.

It looks so clunky and the art assets look so ugly.

Why couldn't they remake it with the Reach engine, with the reach physics and gameplay? Why'd they have to make it feel EXACTLY like Halo. A 10 year old game.

Reach looks so smooth and fluid compared to the Halo CE remake.

Apath

Epyon MX said:
Can't wait, but man the chief looks wonky.

5805396050_bd09267444_o.png

I want the campaign with all the Reach goodies of skulls, screenshots, video, co-op . There was no way the multiplayer would work anyway.
Wow that looks awful.

Seems like this will be Reach's ODST. If the MP portion includes all of the Reach DLC, I'll be glad I never bought a single map pack.
FourDoor said:
As to not to split the Halo Reach multiplayer base before Halo 4 is released.
Unless we're getting the next XBOX in 2012, I fail to see the need to release a brand new Halo title outside of the launch window for a new system. We already have Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and now Halo Anniversary. What Microsoft needs is an interesting new IP.

wwm0nkey

Yay! Halo CE with Online Co-Op and 7 map mappack for $40? Will buy

Now we wait for Halo 2 XBLA......its never going to happen is it :(

Biggzy

Nice that MS are pricing the game at a lower price. Also Frank has just said that by hitting a button you can flip from classic to HD graphical styles; nice touch that is.

Blueblur1

7echnicolor said:
Honestly, I don't like the look of this remake at all.

It looks so clunky and the art assets look so ugly.

Why couldn't they remake it with the Reach engine, with the reach physics and gameplay? Why'd they have to make it feel EXACTLY like Halo. A 10 year old game.

Reach looks so smooth and fluid compared to the Halo CE remake.
It is using the Reach engine. It's even using Reach's assets (see Marines and AR).

ATF487

Kunan said:
It would be cool if they had a commentary track you could play through the game to that utilized the anniversary/classic switcher

ugh that would be cool

I don't mind this, sort of disappointed that we won't get the Halo 1 pistol and stuff but I'll probably still buy it

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
rasberryjam said:
I still don't get why the lack of original multiplayer is such a big deal. I think new Reach content is the right move.

because Reach multiplayer sucks?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is a pretty ordinary looking remake. You'd think they'd go all out and bring it up to Reach level.

Optimization is the LAST process a game goes through. They have 4 months to get the engine working just the way they want. That is a very long time to dedicate to it.

tonitoni

rasberryjam said:
I still don't get why the lack of original multiplayer is such a big deal. I think new Reach content is the right move.
Because it was a lot better simpler and better than reach and all its gimmicky crap like reticle bloom and armor abilities.
Developers keep forgetting that for multiplayer simpler=better.

Spasm

Came for CE campaign and matchmaking added to MP, left disappointed. If some of the maps are from the PC version, that'll take a little of the sting out.

clav

Warm Machine said:
Optimization is the LAST process a game goes through. They have 4 months to get the engine working just the way they want. That is a very long time to dedicate to it.
I think GAF forgot what Halo 1 looked like at E3 10 years ago.

It was awful in terms of presentation.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Izayoi said:
What "fanbase"? The multiplayer is dead. Rebooting at this point wouldn't hurt anyone.
Dead? 700,000 daily unique users, almost always over 80,000 concurrent.

LQX

Am I the only one that did not immediately pick up on the transition from the old engine to the new one? I guess seeing it in person will make the difference but expected better.

Also this should have been on XBLA for like 12-1600 points rather than full retail.

-PXG-

This is all they had to do:

Halo 1 + enchanced graphics/ sound + online MP = GANG BUSTERS

But no, they're too stupid to do that. Alienate the userbase my ass. Activision comes out with a new game every fucking year, yet people STILL play COD 4!!!

Top Bottom