• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Creative Director Ryan Payton Leaves 343i, Starts New Studio

element

http://kotaku.com/5837475/

Good luck what ever you do next Ryan.

Kotaku said:
Halo Creative Director Leaving Halo 4

Halo 4 is the first title in a new trilogy of Halo games. The previous three titles were developed by Bungie, but the next three are being made in-house by Microsoft's own Halo studio.

Halo 4 won't be out until late 2012, and today, one of the game's creative directors, Ryan Payton, is not only leaving Halo 4, but also Microsoft's Halo arm, 343 Industries.

"I had a great run at Microsoft," Payton told Kotaku. "I don't regret one day of it. But after a few years, there came a point where I wasn't creatively excited about the project anymore."

Continuing, Payton added, "The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through."

This doesn't mean Payton thinks Halo 4 will be a bad game. The core team is top flight, and they are there because they want to make the best Halo they can. It's just not the Halo Payton wanted to make.

A few months ago, Payton woke up, unable to move and unwilling to get out of bed, just staring at the ceiling. Payton was diagnosed with severe depression. "For somebody who loves this industry as much as I do and know how lucky I've been, I never thought I'd get to a point where I was so drained," said Payton. "That was when I knew I had to do something else."

...lots more at link...

There was more that Payton wanted to do. A world beyond Halo and beyond Metal Gear. Earlier this year, Payton was at Jake Kazdal's house, watching him work late into the night on Skulls of the Shogun, a game Kazdal left EA to make. A seed was planted. You can make the games you want to make, and it doesn't have to cost a hundred million bucks to develop and doesn't need to retail for $59.99.

...lots more at link...

Payton's started up his own studio, Camouflaj, and he's already working on two new titles.

About Halo, Payton has no regrets, saying that it solidified who he is as a game maker and what he wants to do with his life. For that, Payton said, he is forever grateful.

"I think time is the most valuable thing we have," said Payton, "and I've decided that I'm not going to waste one more day working on something that doesn't speak to my values." Some might say leaving Metal Gear was crazy or that leaving Halo was crazy. For Payton, it wasn't being crazy, but being honest.
element said:
Should be stated that there are multiple creative directors on Halo 4. The project isn't going to fall apart.
New Studio Logo:

camouflaje00y.png

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
He's in my twitter feed and it felt like he is a bit dissapointed in the current gaming landscape when it comes to big projects.

Good luck to him. I have fond memories of playing MGS4.

Lakitu

st5fu
Good luck to him. Would he go back to Kojima Productions? Get us that Snatcher HD XBLA / PSN release please.

V_Arnold

Giolon said:
Halo finally dies? Maybe? Please?

Don't hurt me

There is a solution for you and people like you: you stop going into threads of game X where X is the name that you have come to dislike / not become interested in.

See? Such an easy solution, and then, people who actually enjoy the games can still play with new releases : )

subversus

also it seals my decision of not buying the next Halo. I was never interested in the franchise but I hoped that it would be turned around especially if this guy is charge.

element

Should be stated that there are multiple creative directors on Halo 4. The project isn't going to fall apart.

ReaperXL7

So is there any chance the MS is pushing the Project in a direction he did not agree with? I mean they been doing the Kinect thing pretty aggressively so how possible is it that he's leaving due to creative differences between him, and the honchos at MS?

I really hope they don't screw this up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SolidSnakex said:
I wouldn't mind seeing him land at Polyphony. He was always really good at communicating what was going on at KojiPro.

In that case he should go to Valve. :p

Giolon

V_Arnold said:
There is a solution for you and people like you: you stop going into threads of game X where X is the name that you have come to dislike / not become interested in.

See? Such an easy solution, and then, people who actually enjoy the games can still play with new releases : )

It was a joke - I'm content to live with Halo. I'll even admit to having fun playing it once or twice. ;)

GhaleonQ

Could anyone who knows his contributions better explain what, exactly, he did to scare off 343? He's not 1 of the people who comes to mind when I think "blockbuster-tier risk-takers."

subversus said:
He's in my twitter feed and it felt like he is a bit dissapointed in the current gaming landscape when it comes to big projects.

Could you be more specific?

SolidSnakex said:
I wouldn't mind seeing him land at Polyphony. He was always really good at communicating what was going on at KojiPro.
This. Polyphony needs a great community manager or someone that understands the culture of rest of the world. I loved GT5 but it felt so foreign.

That said, I've a feeling they're trying to make Halo in COD and Ryan didn't like that. Either that or Ryan wanted a COD in Halo.

Noshino said:
It was a Halo project....under Microsoft....

How much creative freedom was he expecting?

They've said they are shaking up the game a bit, and maybe what Payton wanted was not the kind of shaking the rest of the team at 343i wanted in the end.

Utako

Banned
I wouldn't want to put my name on a Halo title either. Much respect for the man. Less talent than Jeremy Blaustein, but he is obviously ambitious.

"I had a great run at Microsoft," Payton told Kotaku. "I don't regret one day of it. But after a few years, there came a point where I wasn't creatively excited about the project anymore."

Continuing, Payton added, "The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don't think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through."

So, he wanted to do something different with the series and Microsoft were having none of it. A shame really. Here's hoping that he finds success elsewhere.

subversus

GhaleonQ said:
Could you be more specific?

Not really as it was always pretty vague and non-grumpy. More like the guy who likes games with interesting, less-than-usual mechanics and settings but there aren't enough of those, in the line of his work at least.

Lingitiz

The article also states that he was diagnosed with severe depression, so he probably decided he needed a major change in his lifestyle.

Nuclear Muffin said:
So, he wanted to do something different with the series and Microsoft were having none of it. A shame really. Here's hoping that he finds success elsewhere.
Maybe not exactly. Halo 4 is going to be pretty different, but still similar if the Halofest panel is anything to go by. Even then, you can only change so much, as Halo Reach had a ton of odd changes and is widely considered to be the worst competitive Halo game.

Still though, best of luck to him.

Tunavi

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Change is not always good. Reach is a good example of this, totally ignored and ruined the classic halo formula.

I'm all for innovation and change, but maybe his ideas just weren't that great. Maybe they were and you are right. Who knows?

Ken

Lingitiz said:
The article also states that he was diagnosed with severe depression, so he probably decided he needed a major change in his lifestyle.

That's what I thought and that he might have wanted to distance himself from games for a little bit because of it, but then he goes and starts a new studio.

GhaleonQ

Sage00 said:
MGS4 was the biggest risk of all time.

Well, that's pretty obviously not the case.

subversus said:
Not really as it was always pretty vague and non-grumpy. More like the guy who likes games with interesting, less-than-usual mechanics and settings but there aren't enough of those, in his working field at least.

Hm.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1954/infiltrating_kojima_productions_.php

When I think of him, I think of stuff like this. It's not out of the ordinary, just slightly off-center. So, I'm not sure what a "Ryan Payton game" would be. Maybe I will (relatively) soon. I just can't match his "hits harder" mission statement and his past work. If he's had ideas that simply haven't been implemented (if anyone knows), then I'd recant.

antonz

Seems pretty obvious. He wanted to freshen things up and the hand of Microsoft stepped in and said haha no make it like the other

Lingitiz

Ken said:
That's what I thought and that he might have wanted to distance himself from games for a little bit because of it, but then he goes and starts a new studio.
He is starting an indie studio though, and carrying his reputation he could go to any company he wanted to. He could still love the industry but wants to distance himself from having to carry the burden of 2 of the biggest franchises in gaming (MGS, Halo).

antonz said:
Seems pretty obvious. He wanted to freshen things up and the hand of Microsoft stepped in and said haha no make it like the other
Josh Holmes is the studio creative director and he made it pretty clear what the direction is for Halo 4. Its going to be a new take on the Halo formula, but at the end of the day it will still feel like Halo, which is what the fans want.

Payton did some pretty awesome stuff with MGS4 but its nice to see the leads making sure that Halo 4 still stays true to what makes Halo what it is.

Marco1

Good luck to him, I myself suffer from depression and it's not an easy thing for you and the people around you to live with.
I can understand why he left and I don't think halo 4 will suffer.
Good luck to him. Didn't someone close to him die when he was with kojima?

Gowans

I wonder what the Creative Directors on Halo 4 do?

but yeah if the guy got major depression in his life a fresh start and big change is needed.

subversus

Payton said:
"People who didn't know me would just assume I wasn't up to speed with all the latest design trends because there were seeing those problems with recent Japanese games," said Payton. "As somebody who prides himself on keeping up with new design trends, this was frustrating."

pretty much explains it

monome

Noshino said:
It was a Halo project....under Microsoft....

How much creative freedom was he expecting?

This. Work ain't fun everyday.
Man, you can't get all the cogs turning by yourself. He was a great addition, and I secretely wished he would infuse the game with a little je-ne-sais-quoi, but the forerunner stuff is a strong enough direction for now, and Halo being the reason why I own an Xbox, Microsoft would be crazy to allow him excess freedom.

Still it's a loss for 343i and the future of Halo.
343i, if you read me, I'm a halo fan ; I'm already looking forward after the Reclaimer trilogy, when the Chief has mutated to his final state, reclaimed the Domain and fucked whatever had to be fucked then the Halo Universe needs new stories, new directions, new visions for that. So whatever the Fuck Ryan Payton suggested, I hope you got it post-its at least.

element

If he was hanging out with Jake, then I get the impression of he wants to go small. Working on a team the scale of Halo 4 is daunting to a degree. Various levels of management, marketing, licensing, and the fans. If you aren't 100% sold on being part of that engine, then it would really break you down quickly.

I think it should also be known that ALOT has changed at 343i since Ryan started. A entirely new management team is in place now. Josh Holmes is the Studio Creative Director, Tom French is now the Design Director. Both came on well after Ryan started at 343i.

jsnepo

What did this guy add to Metal Gear Solid 4 anyway? I always thought he was just a media manager of some sort.

nickcv

i just hope his studio won't be too much focused on just FPS... imho we have already enough devs doing that this gen...

i want another flavor of the month q.q

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nickcv said:
i just hope his studio won't be too much focused on just FPS... imho we have already enough devs doing that this gen...

i want another flavor of the month q.q
I'm pretty sure he's making indie games given the Skulls of the Shogun comment.

Lingitiz

element said:
If he was hanging out with Jake, then I get the impression of he wants to go small. Working on a team the scale of Halo 4 is daunting to a degree. Various levels of management, marketing, licensing, and the fans. If you aren't 100% sold on being part of that engine, then it would really break you down quickly.

I think it should also be known that ALOT has changed at 343i since Ryan started. A entirely new management team is in place now. Josh Holmes is the Studio Creative Director, Tom French is now the Design Director. Both came on well after Ryan started at 343i.
Yeah 343 is huge compared to the 60 people or so when he first started out. Apparently they have over 200 people there, and i'd imagine it could get really stressful having to be at the helm of such a massive team/game. At the end of the day you're still working on a blockbuster franchise with one of the most rabid fanbases in gaming. I can't even begin to think how stressed out Frankie must be at times....

lockload

Nuclear Muffin said:

Not necessarily just some of his ideas were not used, in a group of game directors that is very common, that doesnt mean other ideas are not being pursued

TheOddOne

element said:

How much of Ex-Pandemic is working there? Both Tom and French use to run Pandemic, no? Tom is a big coup though, his tracklist is bonkers.

Good luck to Payton, sad that he never was active during the Sparkcast :|

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
jsnepo said:
What did this guy add to Metal Gear Solid 4 anyway? I always thought he was just a media manager of some sort.
I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I remember someone digging up comments about him hating on MGS games or MGS 2(can't remember) from some old Xbox forum. Always kind of found it ironic that he ended up working on MGS4.

Lingitiz

jsnepo said:

kotaku said:
"Payton arrived at Microsoft via Kojima Productions, where he was, for many Western gamers, one of the key faces of Metal Gear Solid 4. Payton worked on updating that game's controls, which resulted in one of the most playable MGS games in years. He also worked on balancing the game and story for international audiences. "It was all a crash course on AAA game development," said Payton. "It was an experience that prepared me for a big budget, high risk project like Halo."

Games are almost never a one man's craft, his departure might have an impact but it won't be a major one.

Good luck on your next projects Payton :).

Top Bottom