• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO movie OFFICIALLY dead!

Meier

It'll still happen one of these days. Companies can't be so stupid as to not come around and get it done.

Chris_C

Conflict NZ said:
Personally I couldn't stand the Cinematography in the short clips. We needed an Epic, a la Lord of the Rings, style halo movie, after all that is what halo is all about :)

What, Hobbitses?

dionysus

Yaldog
Sho_Nuff82 said:
There are three Resident Evil movies, each more dreadful than the last. Why can't anyone greenlight this film?

Probably cause Sony did the Resident Evil movies? At least I think they did. Sony seems to like video game based movies, probably has something to do with their gaming division. I know they were also involved in the Final Fantasy disaster.

Nick

If they make a movie with the CGI renderings of that sexy superbowl Halo 3 commercial, I would jizz hard and fast and sexy.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Halo will get made. I just hope that Neil will still be doing it whenever things fall into place.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Too bad. The movie industry needs more sci-fi epics, and really needs a good videogame film that takes things seriously.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
SketchTheArtist said:
Neil Blomkamp:

"I was going to push that as far as [I could] until the studios kind of threw a noose around me. I was going to go as far with that as I possibly could. I wanted it to feel like the most brutal, real version of science fiction in a war environment that you've seen in a while. And Universal was on board with that. I don't really remember what Fox thought about it, but Universal seemed down with it. It would have been cool, it would have been a unique take on things, science fiction in a dirty, organic way."

Source: Creativity Online

What the hell is the point of striving for a Sci-Fi version of Saving Private Ryan in space?

Make the movie more than cowboys and indians in a high tech outter space enviroment.

Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

"The film is entirely dead, in the configuration it was in."

Nothing has changed on the movie status. Blomkamp is precisely correct. If the movie ever goes forward it will be in a different "configuration."

But don't let that stop the drama. Proceed.

Different configuration as in:

we will continue to invest in our Halo entertainment property with Bungie and other partners, such as Peter Jackson, on a new interactive series set in the Halo universe," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios.

Let me take this wild guess:

The movie is dead as we know it, but Blomkamp remains in New Zealand with Peter Jackson for at least several more months according to the interview...Hmmm, no more movie because Fox and Universal are being douche bags, but there could be several shorts released on Live seperately or with interactive DLC from Bungie, 500 points a pop? Am I close? :D

RumFore

Banned
How in the world can you read that and get "OFFICIALLY dead!"? I hope it still does get made because what separated it from a lot of other game movies is that it actually looked like there was going to be a lot of talent behind it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Probably for the best. For all his technical F/X competency (which is undeniable), I have yet to see anything made by Blomkamp that has some kind of touch of humanity, and makes me feel anything about his work other than saying "yeah, looks very cool". Halo movie would needs that kind of touch for it to work and stay faithful to the source material.

Phoenix Fang said:
Well seeing that Kojima is basically Uwe Boll in the gaming industry with his crappy storylines IMO, why doesn't he just let Uwe Boll direct the movie? Seems like a match made in heaven right there.
Think what you want of him, Kojima is a guy with incredible imagination, who makes games that are some of the most interesting and captivating ever made. Uwe's movies on the other hand are some of the most unimaginative products movie industry has ever seen. Why would anyone in the right mind want such guy even close to anything as creative as MGS franchise (other than for obvious trolling attempts that is) is beyond me.

Well this sucks. I loved the shorts and the different style it had. Too many Sci Fi movies are the same nowadays. If this ever does get picked up, hopefully Blomkamp will find his way back to directing it.

And to the guy who said the Brutes looked like purple gorillas...uh, what do you want a Brute to look like? They looked just like the models in the game.

Phoenix Fang said:
Well seeing that Kojima is basically Uwe Boll in the gaming industry with his crappy storylines IMO, why doesn't he just let Uwe Boll direct the movie? Seems like a match made in heaven right there.

Yeah...given that you have a DMC avatar something tells me you've seen much worse than what you're accusing Kojima of.

Joe Molotov

Sho_Nuff82 said:
There are three Resident Evil movies, each more dreadful than the last. Why can't anyone greenlight this film?

Maybe because the proposed budget for the Halo movie was about twice as much as the entire domestic boxoffice gross for all three Resident Evil movies?

Marconelly said:
Think what you want of him, Kojima is a guy with incredible imagination, who makes games that are some of the most interesting and captivating ever made. Uwe's movies on the other hand are some of the most unimaginative products movie industry has ever seen. Why would anyone in the right mind want such guy even close to anything as creative as MGS franchise (other than for obvious trolling attempts that is) is beyond me.

No just no

Esperado

Dot50Cal said:
Halo 4 movie tie-ins on PS3 confirmed.

halo3chick.jpg

I just just gagged. Either it looks better in motion, or the game did a good job immersing me. I noticed the faces were bad, namely the one on that old guy, but jeez.

Jswanko

good, if the movie was going to look like the film shorts. It will be made, as long as Peter Jackson is on board i think it will be good. Bungie did write the story so i have faith it will be good.

itxaka

Defeatist
Stinkles said:
hay guys I added a comma

"The film is entirely dead, in the configuration it was in."

Nothing has changed on the movie status. Blomkamp is precisely correct. If the movie ever goes forward it will be in a different "configuration."

But don't let that stop the drama. Proceed.

So it´s Halo 4: The movie with the halo 3 engine?

Shamrock

Banned
Sounds like Blonkman wanted to make a brutal sci-fi action romp and Fox wanted a nice little pg 13 with lots of lasers and no blood.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Marconelly said:
LOL.

Too bad. I don't get the 'for the best' comments...as if the whole idea was just bad to begin with. I have this thing for first time feature directors taking interesting risks with sci-fi films. This needs to be made, damn it!

The 'I was going to push it as far as it can go' was Blomkamp referencing his doco-style shooting. I liked it but personally wouldn't want that to be the feature length film. I think the studios are right in holding off until a different director is found. This doesn't mean I don't like Blomkamp's shorts, I do, just not his style for a feature film.

soco

someone has likely done the world, especially GAF a favor. there's an insanely high probability the movie, like the nearly all videogame-to-film conversions, would've sucked so bad that it'd be referenced and screen-capped way beyond when it was funny to do so.

plus we'd have to listen to people complaining about the number of halo threads yet again.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Spire said:
A MC/Arbiter buddy movie would be great. Like, MC could be driving a warthog all crazy like and Arbiter is like "Woah dog! Get me out of here, these humans are nuts!" and then everyone laughs and it'd be great. I'm sure Brett Ratner would take the time out from making soulless schlock to helm the project.

XD

Anyway, if the movie was going to be anything like the shorts, good. Those were so shitty. The style was ridiculous for a Halo movie.

Walshicus

Emerson said:
XD

Anyway, if the movie was going to be anything like the shorts, good. Those were so shitty. The style was ridiculous for a Halo movie.

:eek:

I loved the shorts. Thought the style was perfect; the Halo material lends itself better to grit in movie form.

Top Bottom