• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I agree. HaloGaf blows. I'm joking and I'm not at the same time.

And dear Lord I really hope they fix the terrible split screen. My wife was really looking forward to playing with me.

jem0208

Ugh, that actually makes me feel sick.

Within one week of posting in HaloGAF I received a few PMs from older members apologizing for how shitty people were treating the new crop of juniors. So yeah, HaloGAF has always been a bit shit towards newbies.

Don't post like an asshole or spam like a certain alt who has returned (or shill for a system) and you'll eventually fit in.

Pretty sure I had posts quoted multiple times with the simple response "who the fuck are you?" as the only reply.
It's not that bad. The salt can be overflow occassionally though.

I will agree that it's pretty intimidating to people who are new though.

DJ Gunner

It's such a minor issue though that 99.99% of people won't even notice from a gameplay perspective. This isn't a case where one base has a distinct advantage over the over. Having a cliff vs not having a cliff isn't going to make any difference in the slightest to the outcome of a match. And it certainly isn't a case where it will make or break a map.

It's one of a multitude of things that caused 95% of Halo 4's Day One population to leave and never come back in less than a year's time. We get that you think H4 was a good game, but arguing in defense of what it did differently than other Halos simply doesn't hold up when comparing it's longevity to literally every other main Halo's MP. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of people that played H4 disliked H4's multi, and the reasons why were literally discussed everywhere people discussed Halo.

Booshka

No wonder there isn't a 2v2 Playlist in CE, the best way to play it is broken. Glad I didn't go apeshit for Halo CE on Xbone, because it's disappointing me with every new detail I see.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Within one week of posting in HaloGAF I received a few PMs from older members apologizing for how shitty people were treating the new crop of juniors. So yeah, HaloGAF has always been a bit shit towards newbies.

Don't post like an asshole or spam like a certain alt who has returned (or shill for a system) and you'll eventually fit in.

Pretty sure I had posts quoted multiple times with the simple response "who the fuck are you?" as the only reply.
Yeah, HaloGAF isn't exactly friendly to new people. I don't think that has anything to do with the debate between ExWife and Jem, though. ExWife is explaining in detail how map design decisions impact gameplay, and Jem is just shrugging it off. Saying that those relatively small things "breaks" the map is silly to me, but saying that there's no impact on gameplay when given explicit examples of how it impacts gameplay is ridiculous, too. I find Jem's constant "but that doesn't bother ME!" arguments tiresome, but I do appreciate his efforts to lighten the mood with jokes, etc.

HaloGAF feels like my family on Thanksgiving. There's a generally amiable mood, but sometimes world views clash and it doesn't take long for people to start throwing curses and insults, lol.

jem0208

It's one of a multitude of things that caused 95% of Halo 4's Day One population to leave and never come back in less than a year's time. We get that you think H4 was a good game, but arguing in defense of what it did differently than other Halos simply doesn't hold up when comparing it's longevity to literally every other main Halo's MP. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of people that played H4 disliked H4's multi, and the reasons why were literally discussed everywhere people discussed Halo.
The lack of a cliff in the Halo 2 Anniversary remake of Sanctuary is what caused 95% of people to leave Halo 4?

I actually agree that the map design was a big weak point of Halo 4. I disagree with saying the fact that they were functionally symmetrical was the reason they were bad.

Yeah, HaloGAF isn't exactly friendly to new people. I don't think that has anything to do with the debate between ExWife and Jem, though. ExWife is explaining in detail how map design decisions impact gameplay, and Jem is just shrugging it off. Saying that those relatively small things "breaks" the map is silly to me, but saying that there's no impact on gameplay when given explicit examples of how it impacts gameplay is ridiculous, too. I find Jem's constant "but that doesn't bother ME!" arguments tiresome, but I do appreciate his efforts to lighten the mood with jokes, etc.

HaloGAF feels like my family on Thanksgiving. There's a generally amiable mood, but sometimes world views clash and it doesn't take long for people to start throwing curses and insults, lol.
I'm not saying they don't have an impact btw, only that the impact is very minor.

Also I don't feel like I make the "doesn't bother me" arguement all that often :3

If I do then sorry.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of a cliff in the Halo 2 Anniversary remake of Sanctuary is what caused 95% of people to leave Halo 4?

I actually agree that the map design was a big weak point of Halo 4. I disagree with saying the fact that they were functionally symmetrical was the reason they were bad.
I don't see any reason why "functionally symmetrical" maps can't work, but I also can't think of one that's better than an actually symmetrical map. So, that leaves with me a huge degree of skepticism. The lack of symmetrical maps in Reach and Halo 4 in general really sucked. :-\

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Naded is streaming Halo 2 (PC)

Soooooo Meta.

CliQ

I hate to sound like an old stupid halo CE fanboy here but I'm going to.

When you've been waiting for a true sequel to Halo: CE as long as I have you learn to enjoy every Halo game.

Not gonna lie I love every halo that's come out except Halo 2 which I've learned to love as time gets farther away from it. Back then to a lot of Halo: CE fans H2 was a huge disappointment.

Hearing some of these complaints about balance, gameplay, and functional symmetrical maps reminds me of the complaints I had about H2.

I have come to realize that while we shouldn't stop talking about what makes us love Halo. We need to take a step back and realize that there will always be something about "the next Halo" that bothers you. It's how it's always been with every halo.

I hate to say it but however you think Halo should be is going to be wrong to somebody. Enjoy the MCC! It's a great fan service that shouldn't be picked a part. Especially the content that is extra and didn't even have to get made in the first place.

jem0208

I don't see any reason why "functionally symmetrical" maps can't work, but I also can't think of one that's better than an actually symmetrical map. So, that leaves with me a huge degree of skepticism. The lack of symmetrical maps in Reach and Halo 4 in general really sucked. :-

Maps like Valhalla and Blood Flick are functionally symmetric. Two bases situated on either side of the map with very similar surroundings.

They're two of my favourite maps as well. I do agree that the lack of completely symmetric maps sucks though. There needs to be a better balance.

When you've been waiting for a true sequel to Halo: CE as long as I have you learn to enjoy every Halo game.

Not gonna lie I love every halo that's come out except Halo 2 which I've learned to love as time gets farther away from it. Back then to a lot of Halo: CE fans H2 was a huge disappointment.

Hearing some of these complaints about balance, gameplay, and functional symmetrical maps reminds me of the complaints I had about H2.

I have come to realize that while we shouldn't stop talking about what makes us love Halo. We need to take a step back and realize that there will always be something about "the next Halo" that bothers you. It's how it's always been with every halo.

I hate to say it but however you think Halo should be is going to be wrong to somebody. Enjoy the MCC! It's a great fan service that shouldn't be picked a part. Especially the content that is extra and didn't even have to get made in the first place.

In b4 comments of "doesn't mean we can't criticize it and try to make it better."

Booshka

It's also a $60 product they are selling to you on $400 hardware. You can criticize anything you want so long as you do it well, and are tactful about it.

-Ryn

Banned
Been playing through ODST on Legendary and holy shit it's hard.

I think the atmosphere of this game may be the best out of the entire series. The music is also top notch. It's been a long time since I've heard it and listening to it while exploring the city as the Rookie or when in a firefight is just so good. I really hope Halo 5 has some nice pacing and takes time between fights to create an atmosphere and explore certain bits of story maybe. Make some contrast.

This has already been discussed and I even said "maybe I don't understand your complaints", when I was talking to someone else. Sorry for making it more dramatic than it needed to be.

Cortana has looked pretty different from each game. My wife looked at it and said she doesn't look odd at all. She's certainly different I'll grant you that, so I understand the complaints. I was more or less responding to the fact that people said she has "no neck" etc etc.
It was 2 pages old do I don't think it was really dead.

I just think it's ridiculous how often people try to attribute a dislike of a design on a female character to sexism. It kills intellectual discussion and often goes nowhere.

My apologies of that's not what you meant though.

Son. It's the rules of nature.
RULES OF NATURE

matthieuC

I feel like functionally symmetrical maps work best really only on BTB sized maps, where there are so many variables already so the impact anything has is small enough to not really matter. Even then though, I'd rather have a completely symmetric map over one that is sort of symmetric.

This is a good post. Pls make it to member.

-snip-

You learn to live with the pain and maintain hope for the future, not only for your own sanity, but for the greater good of the Halo fanbase. CE fans like us are needed, brother.
.. gaydar and all
No wonder there isn't a 2v2 Playlist in CE, the best way to play it is broken. Glad I didn't go apeshit for Halo CE on Xbone, because it's disappointing me with every new detail I see.
I can understand the disappointment, but a CE fan to not support this if he/she has the necessary disposable income is borderline fraudulent.

Welfare

You also have the power to not buy it if you have that many issues with it.

You still have the power to criticize the product. How else can you get something you like to be better if all you do is kiss asses or ignore issues?

-Ryn

Banned

Well said dude

What was the reason that 343i couldn't implement Campaign theater into H4? AI issue?
Supposedly it was because of the QTE's. All 3 of them...

Ramirez

Who the fuck are you, though?

Jay Kay, bud.

I summon FUNKNOWN!
BQQeS0k.gif

EDIT:
That ending...

3/3
lmfao nice

jem0208

Criticism is definitely okay and should be encouraged when there is a genuine problem. We'd have massive grenade screen shake and huge Capture and Defend icons without it.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that the game is bad.

There's also the fact that this thread would be basically dead without all the salt.

Welfare

Criticism is definitely okay and should be encouraged when there is a genuine problem. We'd have massive grenade screen shake and huge Capture and Defend icons without it.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that the game is bad.

There's also the fact that this thread would be basically dead without all the salt.

It ain't Halo related if you don't have something to be salty over.

CliQ

You still have the power to criticize the product. How else can you get something you like to be better if all you do is kiss asses or ignore issues?

Never said anything about kissing asses or ignoring issues. Maybe a better way to help developers make a game that is better would be to talk about you like. Focus the conversations about what is good so the developers know what drives us to play halo.

Lets use the functional symmetrical topic as an example. Rather than saying you hate it point out the fact that you love haven because it's a true symmetrical map. See I said something good about the game that the developers can maybe use to focus the game in that direction.

Saying you don't like something doesn't tell the developers what you do like.

This is just a thought and of course you can do whatever you want.

jem0208

Never said anything about kissing asses or ignoring issues. Maybe a better way to help developers make a game that is better would be to talk about you like. Focus the conversations about what is good so the developers know what drives us to play halo.

Lets use the functional symmetrical topic as an example. Rather than saying you hate it point out the fact that you love haven because it's a true symmetrical map. See I said something good about the game that the developers can maybe use to focus the game in that direction.

Well if we do this Ragnarok will have to stop posting completely.

:p

Of course we should talk about the positives, but saying "I like thing" doesn't do much. It might help the team focus direction, but you need to talk about the bad more IMO, so the team knows what to avoid while designing the game.
A better balance between positive and negative would be nice though.

Welfare

Of course we should talk about the positives, but saying "I like thing" doesn't do much. It might help the team focus direction, but you need to talk about the bad more IMO, so the team knows what to avoid while designing the game.

CliQ

It would be great if for just a couple of pages we all started listing off things we love about Halo. You never know it may help us get to a better Halo 5.

I'll start.

I love the Halo: CE Warthog the most! Why? The hog felt more like a weapon than a jeep. There's a function of that hog in particular that wasn't in any other halo.

Basically the hog wouldn't start slowing down until you were completely out of it. This allowed for some really great skill moves like; getting out of the hog and back in while the hog is still going full speed. This made stuff like picking up the flag a skill move.

You could be driving full speed in a hog, jump out, pick up the flag, and jump back in the hog without losing any momentum. It was just one of the great things I loved about Halo: CE

Who's next?

jem0208

Has anyone mentioned if the MCC will have an option to watch the cinematics by themselves?

Like watching all four games in sequence?
It does.
It would be great if for just a couple of pages we all started listing off things we love about Halo. You never know it may help us get to a better Halo 5.

I'll start.

I love the Halo: CE Warthog the most! Why? The hog felt more like a weapon than a jeep. There's a function of that hog in particular that wasn't in any other halo.

Basically when you got out of the hog it didn't come to a stop first. It just slowly lost momentum as you got out. This allowed for some really great skill moves like; getting out of the hog and back in while the hog is still going full speed. This made stuff like picking up the flag a skill move.

You could be driving full speed in a hog, jump out, pick up the flag, and jump back in the hog without losing any momentum. It was just one of the great things I loved about Halo: CE

Who's next?
Sprint, oh and perks.

Seriously though, Halo 3 infection on my badly made yet hilarious custom maps. Me and a couple of my friends used to stay up late playing infection over and over.

It was so much fun. I miss that...

So long as the conversations and criticisms are tactful and not boiled down to "you're a moron if you don't see xyz", I'm all for a vocal displeasure of certain aspects and decisions.

Just don't be a dick, guys.

CliQ

While this may be true it still doesn't tell anyone what you like. It could just lead to more things we don't like.

AlStrong

no it was more of a general question targeted to the general modern games being in development, eg Destiny and its super tiny FOV

Just from what I understand (someone can correct/add more details):

Since the overall framebuffer is typically the same and is simply divided, the rendering load generally shifts to the front-end of the graphics pipeline i.e. geometry submission & visibility tests, which are usually started on the CPU.

Usually all that is done on a single CPU thread, so the work is serial and scaled as you add more independent views. It's rather important to have LOD transitions*, and you'll probably note just how bloody awful 4 player splitscreen can look compared to even 2p split, nevermind the drop from 1p. Reach is a pretty good example (can't remember how Halo 4 did it, but I had the impression the framerate was awful anyway).

*lower poly models or simply skipping objects entirely. The former helps with pixel shading efficiency as we don't want polygons being the size of pixels. The latter just removes extra visibility calculations.

Anyways, Halo games seemingly already did LOD based on amount of pixel area for an object (disappearing objects, lower LOD models), so on top of that, a smaller FOV would also mean fewer objects in your visual space, while possibly making things directly ahead appear larger. Shadows do have a geometry setup cost too, and those are heavy on rendering anyway, so it's easy to just axe those first.

---

tl;dr higher CPU load -> need to reduce geometry on-screen, smaller FOV helps, also draw fewer objects via LOD management.

---

As for why they would lower the FOV for CEA, who knows.

Welfare

Well, I guess one thing I like about Halo 4 was the fact that you could crouch while moving, Going back to older Halo's just makes it a little bit harder, as you have to stop moving to crouch.

CliQ

Well, I guess one thing I like about Halo 4 was the fact that you could crouch while moving, Going back to older Halo's just makes it a little bit harder, as you have to stop moving to crouch.

Yes this! As much as I love Halo: CE I will say that I like how I could go right into crouch walking. So much easier!

Top Bottom