• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP In pieces Stinkles

35266557_123826507566.jpg

Haruko

I didn't see it noted at the end of the last OT, but Josh confirmed over on Beyond that Invasion won't be in Halo 5.

I didn't expect it back, personally. Sounds like we may here more about BTB/large scale multiplayer & vehicles come E3.

Looking forward to watching this thread more closely in the coming months and posting every once in a while. I stopped in yesterday for the first time in a good bit and Josh was posting some good shit, I'm gonna take that as a sign.

Also the thread seems more...constructive than the last time I was posting fairly regularly. Just glad people are pumped for Halo again!

Welfare

I didn't see it noted at the end of the last OT, but Josh confirmed over on Beyond that Invasion won't be in Halo 5.

I didn't expect it back, personally. Sounds like we may here more about BTB/large scale multiplayer & vehicles come E3.

Why would we have Invasion back when we're getting Invasion 2.0 :)?

link1201

Say, are we still getting that Halo show produced by Steven Spielberg?

I wonder if that will deal exclusively with Blue team or just continue the hunt the truth stuff or something new.

Impala26

vadernoooooooooo.gif

Whatever BTB madness they're cooking up better be good.

TheXbox

Say, are we still getting that Halo show produced by Steven Spielberg?

I wonder if that will deal exclusively with Blue team or just continue the hunt the truth stuff or something new.
A show about Spartans would probably be way too expensive. I could see them doing some weird ONI/black ops stuff, though. Like Agents of SHIELD but maybe not shit.

Fotos

I didn't really like invasion that much so I don't really mind but a lot of people seemed to like it. Doesn't seem worth creating special maps for imo. Would rather have more time spent in making at least decent BTB maps which Reach and 4 lacked. Reach had some cool DLC ones though.

A show about Spartans would probably be way too expensive. I could see them doing some weird ONI/black ops stuff, though. Like Agents of SHIELD but maybe not shit.

lol

Omni

Alongside Firefight, Invasion was the best part about Reach. Shame to see it go.

Halo 4's mode that more or less replaced it (that I can't even remember the name of) was awful.

jelly

343 probably renamed and rethought Invasion into Spartan Rush or something. If they don't for Halo 5, I would love a rush mode in another Halo IP.

Impala26

Alongside Firefight, Invasion was the best part about Reach. Shame to see it go.

Halo 4's mode that more or less replaced it (that I can't even remember the name of) was awful.

Dominion?

Yeah it was basically BTB Territories/Domination/Control...
...and it was very MEH.

Omni

Spartan Ops, yeah it was bad.

ODST FF>Reach FF>H4 SO

Spartan Ops was bad.

Though I was talking about the BTB mode that got introduced in Halo 4 with the bases and stuff. Always figured that was supposed to be some kind of Invasion replacement

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spartan Ops had a lot of potential. It got killed by not working well forever. When you could actually play it I didn't find it all that bad. Kind of like firefight but with a bit more of an objective. Story had some interesting Halsey moments too. Got way better as it went (and 343 stopped reusing campaign areas).

I'd love to have both a Spartan Ops style gametype and firefight. They could really just use empty Spartan Ops maps (sectioned off) for firefight as well.

Impala26

I'd love to have both a Spartan Ops style gametype and firefight. They could really just use empty Spartan Ops maps (sectioned off) for firefight as well.

THIS, so much THIS.

Could you imagine making a stand from the inside of the Harvester?
Or some giant BTB-esque standoff in that massive cave stage?

Holy sheeeet.

Random, I think you mean Dominion. I gotta say, for all the flack that Halo4 MP and Infinity drops get, Dominion on Exile is some of my all time favorite Halo MP moments. I loved the constant push and pull of gaining and losing bases, and that feel of when you got a sentry cannon up or a badass vehicle just in time to wreck the other team.

Actually, what with the timed base upgrades, etc., it made the Infinity drops make more sense to me, like, why not? Timed upgrades for bases based on control, why not have your ship dropping supplies to continue the fight?

Mistel

Banned
How did dominion actually play as a game type? From the five minute I played when I got dropped into a match it felt like territories with bits tacked onto it.

So, I'm doing research because reasons and, uh

Halopedia said:
The Joint Occupation Zones, colloquially referred to as J-O Zones,[1] are regions of space cooperatively held by both the United Nations Space Command and Arbiter Thel 'Vadam's Swords of Sanghelios. Between May 6 and June 1, 2557, the Shadow of Intent participated in an operation with UNSC Naval elements against pirates in a Joint Occupation Zone.[2] In early 2558, there was an increase of Jiralhanae raids on these territories due to the Jiralhanae's dwindling resources.[3]

Halopedia said:
colloquially referred to as J-O Zones

is it just me, or, uh

How did dominion actually play as a game type? From the five minute I played when I got dropped into a match it felt like territories with bits tacked onto it.

It was pretty enjoyable, though it would occasionally devolve into a bunch of players camping super hard once a base was captured, leaving only one or two players to try and assault mid or the opposite end.

Mdot

Mdot: Wide-eyed Dreamer, Careless Heart

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us.
And the world will FUNCTION THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO. AND I CAN JOIN A PARTY WITH MY FRIENDS. AND SEARCH AND FIND A GAME WITHIN 2 MINUTES. AND NOT GET DISCONNECTED FROM MY PARTY AFTER EACH ROUND THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

:)

Well Elites definitely won't be coming back then. No invasion, the Helioskrill armor, and Arbiter not being a playable character on Locke's team pretty much confirms it.

That's about right. The major differences is that the territories, or bases, would upgrade at intervals if one team held them long enough, i.e. shields would go up around windows or doors that you couldn't fire through, or sentry cannons would pop up to blast the other team. Things like a wraith or banshee were near or at highest interval.

IIRC, you had to go out to their spot to activate some of them though, adding an element of risk. I though it was fun as hell!

Kinda sad though, because unless you have a large party for customs, I don't ever really see it ever happening on MCC. Or a Customs Browser…

In related news, I haven't been able to get into a BTB battle in forever in MCC. Early on in this whole f'd up process, BTB (my favorite) was the one reliable playlist that always worked for me.

Fuchsdh

That's about right. The major differences is that the territories, or bases, would upgrade at intervals if one team held them long enough, i.e. shields would go up around windows or doors that you couldn't fire through, or sentry cannons would pop up to blast the other team. Things like a wraith or banshee were near or at highest interval.

IIRC, you had to go out to their spot to activate some of them though, adding an element of risk. I though it was fun as hell!

Kinda sad though, because unless you have a large party for customs, I don't ever really see it ever happening on MCC. Or a Customs Browser…

In related news, I haven't been able to get into a BTB battle in forever in MCC. Early on in this whole f'd up process, BTB (my favorite) was the one reliable playlist that always worked for me.

Dominion at launch also suffered from too many power weapons spawning for defenders in too many protected zones. They toned it down so you got fewer power weapons and relied more on utility ammo resupply and vehicles, which worked much better at assaulting positions and dislodging campers.

Mdot

Well Elites definitely won't be coming back then. No invasion, the Helioskrill armor, and Arbiter not being a playable character on Locke's team pretty much confirms it.

What do you mean by a playable character on Locke's team? Did I miss something with the more recent news/marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom