• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdot

I think some folks had been hoping that Arbiter would be one of the co-op characters on Locke's team.

Oh, from that boxart image? Do we know if those are actual playable characters or how it will work in the game? Also, are the Spartans on Chief's side the team from First Strike? Just making sure I didn't miss some big reveal.

Oh, from that boxart image? Do we know if those are actual playable characters or how it will work in the game? Also, are the Spartans on Chief's side the team from First Strike? Just making sure I didn't miss some big reveal.

Yep, The Spartans standing with MC are the Blue Team. Kelly, Fred and Linda.

The Spartans with Locke haven't been confirmed yet, but are speculated to be Buck, Romeo and either Macer or Tanaka.

Nothing has been said about how they'll be used in-game though. The easy to make assumption is that this would allow four player co-op for the campaign without creating random dummy characters or having four Lockes or four MCs running around haha, plus the enrichment to the story with having all of these characters to be interacted with.

Fuchsdh

Considering the stuff we got in the MCC trailer and then in the bookend cinematics, thinking Arby would be a playable character seems foolish.

Speaking of playable characters, though, if the four-man teams are your coop buddies in full party situations, I wonder if that means they'll still have speaking roles. For a long time I always felt that silent protagonists during gameplay were the way to go because having a voice that "wasn't me" felt off, but either I've changed or games have gotten much better at it. I vastly preferred Halo 4's in-game dialogue with Cortana to getting ordered around like in previous games, and other games like Bioshock Infinite have really made me hate it when my character is a dumb mute these days. So would you as Kelly be responding to another player as John, et al?

One thing's for sure—you're not going to get casual players to care at all about the characters unless they've got a lot of time put into characterization, and really the best time to do that is during the actual gameplay itself.

Considering the stuff we got in the MCC trailer and then in the bookend cinematics, thinking Arby would be a playable character seems foolish.

Speaking of playable characters, though, if the four-man teams are your coop buddies in full party situations, I wonder if that means they'll still have speaking roles. For a long time I always felt that silent protagonists during gameplay were the way to go because having a voice that "wasn't me" felt off, but either I've changed or games have gotten much better at it. I vastly preferred Halo 4's in-game dialogue with Cortana to getting ordered around like in previous games, and other games like Bioshock Infinite have really made me hate it when my character is a dumb mute these days. So would you as Kelly be responding to another player as John, et al?

One thing's for sure—you're not going to get casual players to care at all about the characters unless they've got a lot of time put into characterization, and really the best time to do that is during the actual gameplay itself.

That would be pretty damn cool if, as playing as one of the co-op characters, you get to experience lines spoken by them as if you were playing them actual, instead of them just "being present" and Chief does all of the talking.

I mean... If multiplayer peeps have voices now, why not?

I still prefer Master Chief being basically a silent protagonist. as a result it makes his dialogue more impactful when he decides to actually speak up

So uh the patch has been out for a while now and uh the halo 3 maps are still launch and uh bloodline is still in 4v4 which never gets to 50 kills and uh why is high ground still in slayer and uh when will life find a way with this turd.

Mass salivation over the prospect of another halo game when the current game right now as we speak sits in a puddle of its own piss. Is there even a playlist manager for this whole fucking game? Like a ninja on fire figure? Why the fuck would I ever give this company money again when they shit out a half finished game then don't fix the playlists?

Mdot

It would be awesome and contribute to the overall story by having the other Spartans play expanded, speaking roles but could also cause issues assuming they all aren't in every aspect of the story throughout the whole game.

Fuchsdh

I still prefer Master Chief being basically a silent protagonist. as a result it makes his dialogue more impactful when he decides to actually speak up

Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the original idea of Clint Eastwood-levels of gravitas, but in everything but the games he's always been far more talkative, and if you want to establish his relationship with Blue Team you're going to need them to interact.

It's a bit of an apple/oranges situation since Bioshock Infinite doesn't have cutscenes, but even if you isolate the traditional "cutscene plot dump here" moments, there's tons of incidental dialogue between Booker and Elizabeth that help make you actually care about them, and if it's left for just spaces where you demand the player stop fighting and listen... they're not going to want to.

Mistel

Banned
It was pretty enjoyable, though it would occasionally devolve into a bunch of players camping super hard once a base was captured, leaving only one or two players to try and assault mid or the opposite end.
That's pretty much how the game I played went, main group in the base and about 3 outside of it
That's about right. The major differences is that the territories, or bases, would upgrade at intervals if one team held them long enough, i.e. shields would go up around windows or doors that you couldn't fire through, or sentry cannons would pop up to blast the other team. Things like a wraith or banshee were near or at highest interval.
Sounds like the phases for invasion except apply separate once a set hold time is reached. Sounds like it goes very quickly from one extreme to another as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the original idea of Clint Eastwood-levels of gravitas, but in everything but the games he's always been far more talkative, and if you want to establish his relationship with Blue Team you're going to need them to interact.

It's a bit of an apple/oranges situation since Bioshock Infinite doesn't have cutscenes, but even if you isolate the traditional "cutscene plot dump here" moments, there's tons of incidental dialogue between Booker and Elizabeth that help make you actually care about them, and if it's left for just spaces where you demand the player stop fighting and listen... they're not going to want to.

Yeah. Halo 4's version of the Chief is much more in line with what we're used to him being like in the books. I like it. Cortana sort of spoke for him a lot in the games, so I don't mind them making him more talkative now that she dead.

Ramirez

So uh the patch has been out for a while now and uh the halo 3 maps are still launch and uh bloodline is still in 4v4 which never gets to 50 kills and uh why is high ground still in slayer and uh when will life find a way with this turd.

Mass salivation over the prospect of another halo game when the current game right now as we speak sits in a puddle of its own piss. Is there even a playlist manager for this whole fucking game? Like a ninja on fire figure? Why the fuck would I ever give this company money again when they shit out a half finished game then don't fix the playlists?

It's dead, Jem.

Yeah. I've been holding on hope for awhile now.

After ranks launched and were subsequently broken, its pretty obvious the game is done. Maybe worth revisiting in a year. Im done with it for now though. Tired of being disappointed.

I went back to playing Crucible and Iron Banner. I'm not a huge halo mp person- I'm basically a casual for mp- but it's still broken enough that I don't even touch it anymore. Campaign- heck yeah. MP- hullo Destiny.

For sure, it's just hard to make characters interesting or emotionally compelling when they are sealed away behind jet-tank armor. Halo Reach was able to do this fairly well due to their faces actually being shown at times.

If 343 wants to make John more human, let's actually see his face this time around. Heck, his spartan counterpart, Locke, has a face we know. Chief questioning his humanity with his iconic gruff voice while behind bad ass armor just seems awkward and less believable.

SHE SAID THAT TO ME ONCE

Good example to tie into what I stated above.

jem0208

Rumble Pit is fun.

Side note: Destiny is fun but the Crucible has nothing on Halo. The gameplay just doesn't suit PvP as well.

What's going on with Halo Online? Are people still playing it with mods?

we don't talk about that. mods can circumvent the revenue model so they are considered piracy here.

Rumble Pit is fun.

Side note: Destiny is fun but the Crucible has nothing on Halo. The gameplay just doesn't suit PvP as well.

It would help if every damn mode in Destiny wasn't just Slayer in disguise. You know... like CTF or something.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So does Palmer exist in Halo 5? Like at all?

Was I right in my prediction that she was gonna be huge going forward but people hated her so Locke took her place?

Haruko

So, what do you guys think of sprint and AR/SMG starts?

6cDRcWT.gif

Zoolader

we don't talk about that. mods can circumvent the revenue model so they are considered piracy here.

It would help if every damn mode in Destiny wasn't just Slayer in disguise. You know... like CTF or something.

Thanks. It sounds like since the last time I read about it on gaf, that there was some final say on the debate of whether it was piracy or not.

Haruko

I know the background is a composite image, but it's hard to not notice what looks like a dead Elite behind #TeamLocke in the poster. Might just be random though

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Halo 5 beta worked far better than MCC in the end, also you don't have every 3rd party studio under the sun working on 5. I fully anticipate some issues, but nowhere near the MCC fiasco.

Also, when the hell do we get to see BTB.

The Halo 5 beta worked far better than MCC in the end, also you don't have every 3rd party studio under the sun working on 5. I fully anticipate some issues, but nowhere near the MCC fiasco.

How do you know? Halo 4 had every studio under the sun working on it, remember?

AlStrong

Was I right in my prediction that she was gonna be huge going forward but people hated her so Locke took her place?

I thought it would have been neat if they used her to hunt down MCC, as a point of internal conflict (she didn't seem to hate him, but she hated halsey). Locke just comes across as even more of a tool than she does.

The spoilers for Escalation 16 (just going by Halopedia) sounded like she was starting to doubt her convictions. Of course, it only took the story writers 3 years to get to this point. :/

Obscured

This actually made MCC feel worse, because the beta worked so well.

I still really want a post mortem on MCC. I know it will probably never happen, but I am really interested in what is behind all of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom