• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Plywood's .gif's from the Gaming side:

gif3bqadk.gif

The +5 by the medals are the first peek at the credit/reward system I've seen so far.

Note also no health meter, thus no health packs. (Unless those three tiny vertical bars are it.)

The strafing in this gif has me grinning.

Burst fire BR and no health bar.....I could watch this gif all day.

Some how miraculously I can watch the Making Halo 4 youtube video at work. The rest of youtube is blocked so I am not sure how this happened but the Halo Gods have smiled on me today.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

http://www.abload.de/img/gif3bqadk.gif

The +5 by the medals are the first peek at the credit/reward system I've seen so far.

Note also no health meter, thus no health packs. (Unless those three tiny vertical bars are it.)

There is so much I love about the .gif:

1. The way the spartan moves
  2. The death animation
  3. The way the BR reacts to each burst
  4. The new style of the forerunner aesthetic

Also the radar seems flat now, not sure how that will work.

gif3bqadk.gif

Just about to post everything you said, its got me pumped.

Kibbles

gif3bqadk.gif

Dat gunplay. Grinning as well.

FyreWulff

How the hell did you draw that conclusion from this? Really now dude. Any conclusions on the .map attributes you'd like to share?

I like how everyone is allowed to speculate but my posts are put under a goddamn microscope. Since I have to spell it out literally: the reason Halo: Reach does not have score bars is because since the gametypes are dynamically scripted, the game does NOT know when the game is actually going to end (because the end condition can change at any time). This is a result of Megalo.

I just made a simple observation that since it seems the game knows what the end condition is, the gametypes are baked into the game again (and therefore the game has the information again to draw the bars, because the end condition is always known). It's a simple observation that anyone could make. But I'm guessing you're just jumping at the opportunity to post ".map" again. It wasn't even that far of a jump.

Did anyone see a grenade in the footage?

I'd love to whistle a grenade up that ramp.
Nope, but the 0 0 0 in the top right probably indicates three kinds of grenades again.

Also worth noting: back button beside 'BR Slayer' in another screen. Frankie, did you implement rules on the back screen after I suggested it yesterday?

WJD

gif3bqadk.gif

This two second gif fills me with more hope that they're heading in the right direction than anything else in that video. So much right with it; speed, BR, no bloom, general aesthetics. Wonderful.

GhaleonEB

Burst fire BR and no health bar.....I could watch this gif all day.

And the movement - you can't move like that in Reach. Doing the same motions would have you waddling a touch in place.

Burst fire BR, no health meter, high jumps, decent movement speed, strafing back. Looks like a Halo game.

I'm concerned about the perks. The main reason is because they add many more variables to matchmaking for the playlist designers to deal with. The biggest problem with Reach's is that they have been managed at an insufficient level of detail, and the result is often a complete mess. Adding possibly more, and more combinations of them, is worrying, regardless of their intent to keep some playlists more clean.
I like how everyone is allowed to speculate but my posts are put under a goddamn microscope. Since I have to spell it out literally: the reason Halo: Reach does not have score bars is because since the gametypes are dynamically scripted, the game does NOT know when the game is actually going to end (because the end condition can change at any time). This is a result of Megalo.

I just made a simple observation that since it seems the game knows what the end condition is, the gametypes are baked into the game again (and therefore the game has the information again to draw the bars, because the end condition is always known). It's a simple observation that anyone could make. But I'm guessing you're just jumping at the opportunity to post ".map" again. It wasn't even that far of a jump.

Believe it or not, not everyone knows Megalo. I suspect very few if anyone else here knows that. Now, how do you know they didn't update it? A little elaboration goes a long way. (I mention the .map because you have a history of leaping to hard conclusions based on limited data, rather than speculation, and it sounded like you were doing the same here.)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hopefully sprint is 100% of the time button press. I would guess it is a perk now, but if so I hope it is similar to sprint in other games.

gif3bqadk.gif

DAMN!

Im trying to read all the articles, but this thread is distracting! I wonder if we will see any raw gameplay from the MP? At this point it seems like not yet.

Also, there is so much info to comprehend. Spartan IVs. Perks. Awesomeness. Human civil war from campaign? Will we fight Spartan IVs?

monome

PERKS?
story oriented MP? why not but it sounds they want it to appear like dramatic confrontation...

Why so serious?

no Didact?

looks delicious anyway and like the more sportive armors.

Loxley

Alright, I'm coming back over here. Too much bitching and moaning about the perks on the gaming side, despite the fact that we know only two things about them: jack and shit.

I really like what I'm seeing.

- BR & no health packs
- Chief's new design looks great, very detailed.
- Heck, I like the new BR's design as well.
- I'm glad that sprint is back, whether or not it's a perk or just now a default feature of the game is unclear to me. Either way, it was the one Armor Ability in Reach that I feel didn't fuck with the gameplay in any meaningful way but still managed to speed the game up.
- No dual-wielding = thank you.

I'm keeping an open mind about the perks, because again, we know fuck all about them. I'll never understand the shear amount of knee-jerk rage people are able to conjur after only hearing about a feature and not actually seeing it in action.

Kudos to 343i, looks to be shaping up nicely. Now I just want to see some damn direct-feed multiplayer footage in HD :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This two second gif fills me with more hope that they're heading in the right direction than anything else in that video. So much right with it; speed, BR, no bloom, general aesthetics. Wonderful.
Absolutely. Perks are my only concern, but I'll keep an open mind.

And yeah, we for reals need raw gameplay footage.

Why does this matter?
Because whenever you show up around here it just stirs shit up, in case you haven't noticed. It's okay to have controversial opinions, plenty of people here do, but they're also active members of this community. I fail to see why you keep coming back here time and time again to stir shit up (perhaps unintentionally) when you clearly have no intention of becoming a part of this community. You probably don't care what any of us think, a hell of a lot of people here don't like you and don't care what you think, it's baffling why you stick around.

Halo 4 looks schweet and I can't stay awake no more.

reggie

Banned
gif69gbqj.gif

That background, those graphics GAH im so excited

Come the fuck on, seriously. No one in this thread can honestly say this doesn't look like Reach. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but if Frankie had posted this .gif 6 months ago under the guise of being a Reach.gif you guys wouldn't know the difference. I would love to agree that this game looks a million times better, but it's simply not true.

Not IMO. If everyone has Sprint, it is fine. Assuming of course sprint's main use is to travel fast, not run from combat...
Vehicles and mancannons are sufficient fast travel in Halo. Never really was a fan of sprintsprintsprint then put on the brakes in a confrontation then go back to sprintsprintsprint a la COD. You don't need to put sprint in Quake, you don't need it in Counter-Strike, you don't need it in Team Fortress, you don't need it in Halo. IMO.

What are the three bars below the health meter? Sprint meters?
Looks to me like it's there for aesthetics rather than actually showing something functional.

Vehicles and mancannons are sufficient fast travel in Halo. Never really was a fan of sprintsprintsprint then put on the brakes in a confrontation then go back to sprintsprintsprint a la COD. You don't need to put sprint in Quake, you don't need it in Counter-Strike, you don't need it in Team Fortress, you don't need it in Halo. IMO.

Looks to me like it's there for aesthetics rather than actually showing something functional.

Hopefully Sprint is toggle-able or playlist specific.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Come the fuck on, seriously. No one in this thread can honestly say this doesn't look like Reach. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but if Frankie had posted this .gif 6 months ago under the guise of being a Reach.gif you guys wouldn't know the difference. I would love to agree that this game looks a million times better, but it's simply not true.
Okay you're insane. We get it. You can stop now.

If you think the detail in the spartan model, the lighting from the burst fire and the DOF in the background is on the same level as Reach then you are clinically insane.

Blueblur1

The game looks fantastic. I'm really impressed with it so far. The only things I find disappointing is how little they showed, sprint's return, and the grenade icons being on the right side of the screen (it just looks so weird). Otherwise, I'm happy. Oh, and as for the new customization options that everyone are labeling as perks, I'll spit vitriol once we actually know about them and see them in action.

FyreWulff

Believe it or not, not everyone knows Megalo. I suspect very few if anyone else here knows that. Now, how do you know they didn't update it? A little elaboration goes a long way. (I mention the .map because you have a history of leaping to hard conclusions based on limited data, rather than speculation, and it sounded like you were doing the same here.)

I don't know if they overhauled it. If I went the other way it would come off as me assuming Megalo is there due to a screenshot. I set expectations to normal levels. Since 343 doesn't prioritize maintaining LAN compatibility as Reach 1.1 showed, one would assume they would just TU in new gametypes under a baked in system, and they wouldn't need Megalo in that situation.

If they did overhaul Megalo, then cool. If it's baked in gametypes, okay, as long as there's a wide variety to choose from. But since 343 probably won't confirm or deny Megalo's presence until the game is almost out or after it comes out, it is what it is: speculation. I'm aware it looked like I was just jumping from a single screenshot, but it was a very telling screenshot for those familiar with how Megalo works. Much like people are speculating based off reticules, hud elements and other things for other parts of the game.

Arnie

What the hell were you expecting? Chief to have an afro and a samurai sword?

It's Halo for christ sake, and Reach is already a phenomenal looking game, if you're talking purely from an aesthetic point of view. We already know from 30 seconds of footage that the two games will behave and play wildly different, so your constant bleeting sounds ridiculous at this point.

Not to mention that the environment behind Chief is deliberately vague, so all we have to go on is a Spartan firing a rifle. A Spartan that wasn't in Reach and a rifle that wasn't either.

You're nonsensical.

-Looks great visually
-Looking forward to seeing how the BR performs
-Movement appears to be great quick
-Ugh sprint
-Happy to hear Frankie mention that the speed of the game was faster
-Hoping that the gametype "BR Slayer" doesn't imply another MM nightmare of AR or BR starts
-Needs more info about MP (other weapons, what are the perks)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom