• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Didn't they have 3+ years to work on the game?

Yeah, they did, but they didn't have a full scale studio for that entire duration. Most of the work really started less than two years ago, and even then they were still hiring people from the men's toilets.

Never mind the amount of folks that joined 343 than quit before Halo 4 was even finished.

When Halo 4 came out they had no sustain team, no playlist manager. No real plan or direction for the game post release bar map packs and poorly received Spartan Ops.

They shipped a game with a ton of bugs and issues, missing game modes and broken half-baked features.

The actual campaign, direction wise, is all over the place. Multiplayer was seemingly outsourced to at least two outside developers.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah, they did, but they didn't have a full scale studio for that entire duration. Most of the work really started less than two years ago, and even then they were still hiring people from the men's toilets.

Never mind the amount of folks that joined 343 than quit before Halo 4 was even finished.

When Halo 4 came out they had no sustain team, no playlist manager. No real plan or direction for the game post release bar map packs and poorly received Spartan Ops.

They shipped a game with a ton of bugs and issues, missing game modes and broken half-baked features.

The actual campaign, direction wise, is all over the place. Multiplayer was seemingly outsourced to at least two outside developers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33605748&postcount=14345

I was shut down about this almost immediately but hey. Just sayin'

Overdoziz

Banned
RwNb6.jpg

Oh Dear. I wonder if that was something that wasn't accounted for or if it was by design.

Def the former.

With instant respawn in the game it's impossible that they wouldn't have caught it during their intensive internal testing. It's almost certainly intentional. They probably reasoned it makes it easier for inexperienced/less competent players to score a multi-kill. Wouldn't want dying to get in the way of that.

It's the same with instant or near-instant respawn somehow being in Oddball and King of the Hill. Many in the community have presumed that the gametypes are bugged, but, seeing as it's impossible to miss that you can instant respawn in objective, I'd venture that it's absolutely intentional, at least for the first few months. CTF is the main objective gametype and they promised that the nonsense of instantly respawning opponents wouldn't appear in objective so they've kept to their promise. However, I suspect that they viewed the fringer gametypes such as Ball and King as testbeds for having Infinity-like settings in objective. They were probably interested to see if it helped retain less disciplined, ADD players in objective. I doubt COD players appreciate waiting 10 seconds to respawn.

To my knowledge 343 have never claimed that the respawn settings in Ball and King are bugged. If they were, something as basic as that would have certainly been addressed in the first updates.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If we can’t find any ‘ideal match’ results within a certain amount of time, we switch over to what we call ‘acceptable search mode’. In this mode, we realize that you’ve been waiting for a while to play a game, so we’re willing to accept a less-than-perfect match in order to get you into a game. In this phase, there are no restrictions on latency and skill.

There's the answer to lopsided and or laggy games.

FyreWulff

They shouldn't even consider spectator mode until they deliver the features promised in the shipped product.

New features are nice and all, and I fully agree with every point raised about how beneficial they are and to be honest, such a feature should have been in the shipped product. It wasn't though and until they get the base features up to snuff they shouldn't be worrying about expanding about the game at all.

Considering the DLC for the game is mapped out, and next year sees the end of it, I wouldn't be surprised if 343 dumped Halo 4 in terms of support for next holiday season's Halo game on the Durango, to be announced at E3.

Maybe if we ask nicely we'll get new features put into that game instead.

I think this is my main issue with Microsoft. It always feels like they're already looking forward to their next release. It felt like Reach's final DLC and it's TU were just 'enough' while they diverted everyone off to Halo 4. Then they kill off the stats app community and then can't even be arsed to update their app to do anything more than Reach stats.

Same crap will probably happen to 4, whatever the next Halo project is, it'll be obvious when Halo 4 goes into 'just enough to look active' mode while the next release ramps up.

FyreWulff

It probably doesn't help that they issued two TUs quickly, which reset the host quality records twice in rapid succession. Games' been out for almost two months but is running off a week's worth of host telemetry.

This is the slight advantage to Reach getting a single TU then being abandoned, it's current host data has had over a year to mature at this point.

IHaveIce

Banned

Shame that Halo 3 screenshots aren't updated anymore, but hey at least we have Halo 4 online files..

Oh..

Yes we have to take pictures of the TV for screenshots for Halo 4, exactly like with the 5 year old Halo 3 where the online file servers are already shut down.

YES.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I had to read that a few times. The sentence after it clears everything up though.

I think it means, there are no restrictions to the total list of "acceptable" players but it still tries to match you with the people with the highest scores (latency, DLC, skill). In my experience it has been good.

edit: Also, just bought an XBL 1 month, Xbox.com and Dashboard are telling me I'm Gold but Halo 4 is telling me I'm not. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Havok

Wish they'd let us mess with the matchmaking knobs instead of having the system decide for us. All the toggles of Reach plus a JIP toggle, please. Let the kids just mash A if they want because they don't care one way or the other, but let power users decide their own experience.

FyreWulff

Yes we have to take pictures of the TV for screenshots for Halo 4, exactly like with the 5 year old Halo 3 where the online file servers are already shut down.

I wish I could tell you about the hilarity of Microsoft shutting down a certain Halo feature and saying they have no plans to re-implement it, but they're actually still using it.. just for themselves.

Halo 3 and ODST fell into a weird dark hole where it seems they didn't want to add their functionality back, and since they didn't add their stats function back they were pretty much obligated to unlock Recon by default for everyone in Halo 3 because they no longer had the stats functionality to check to verify the ability to unlock Recon. :lol

Akai__

ok but at least everyone started with it and had no advantage.In that map you spawn with smg and brs right there too.

Yeah, but you would have to search for a precision weapon, if you die. Big Team should always give you a BR in Halo 3.

---

Also, I loved the way, how Halo 3's File Share was. I think Reach's and Halo 4's File Share system is a step backwards. Halo 3 had also the Bungie's Favourite category, whatever happened to that thing... Maybe too much effort to pick new ones?

How do you know this? I'm not disputing that but do you have a source for it? I'm sure I remember Frankie on here saying that they'd planned MM out for months in advance etc.

I think this is my main issue with Microsoft. It always feels like they're already looking forward to their next release. It felt like Reach's final DLC and it's TU were just 'enough' while they diverted everyone off to Halo 4. Then they kill off the stats app community and then can't even be arsed to update their app to do anything more than Reach stats.

Same crap will probably happen to 4, whatever the next Halo project is, it'll be obvious when Halo 4 goes into 'just enough to look active' mode while the next release ramps up.

They stopped updating Reach completely, many months before Halo 4 launched. When they did update it was a consolidation hack job that dispensed with some of the more interesting playlists whilst retaining Super Slayer.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, but you would have to search for a precision weapon, if you die. Big Team should always give you a BR in Halo 3.

---

Also, I loved the way, how Halo 3's File Share was. I think Reach's and Halo 4's File Share system is a step backwards. Halo 3 had also the Bungie's Favourite category, whatever happened to that thing... Maybe too much effort to pick new ones?

Yeah, I felt the same way and I can't explain why it is that way. In Halo 3 I often just looked in the File Shares of people I'm playing against, in Reach I don't even know right now if you are able to look at it while being matched up.

And Bungie's Favorites were later "outsourced" to different communities and they chose their picks( if I remember correctly, please someone say if not) and yes I missed it in Reach, would be a great way to show love for some User crafted maps, before putting them in MM

Yeah, I felt the same way and I can't explain why it is that way. In Halo 3 I often just looked in the File Shares of people I'm playing against, in Reach I don't even know right now if you are able to look at it while being matched up.

And Bungie's Favorites were later "outsourced" to different communities and they chose their picks( if I remember correctly, please someone say if not) and yes I missed it in Reach, would be a great way to show love for some User crafted maps, before putting them in MM

I remember this too. I think ForgeHub threw up a few maps and gametypes, as well as some other communities. That was all pretty fun.

FyreWulff

I remember this too. I think ForgeHub threw up a few maps and gametypes, as well as some other communities. That was all pretty fun.

I think if I hadn't reminded Urk after the Reach beta ended, the Penny Arcade Forum favorites submission would have been Halo 3's Bungie Favorites into eternity. It was up for like a month, maybe a month and a half :lol

I'd rather see something close to what SSB Brawl did, where there's a featured community map that's autodownloaded to everyone's box every day or week that's instantly usable once you load up the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom