• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

The pistol didn't dominate in Halo: CE as much as the BR or DMR did in the sequels because of how quick the movement speed was in Halo 1. You could get in close with a shotgun, AR, or PP in CE and have a fighting chance against a pistol user.

whaaaaaaaaaaat

CyReN

And how much of that shit you listed at the top really effects the enjoyment of the actual game for the majority of players?

The majority of players have left though.

I think:
  • Proper Playlist Management
  • File Share Fixes
  • PR Department
are pretty big things for the overall community, maybe it's just me.

Ramirez

The majority of players have left though.

Ok? It's not like this wasn't already happening with Reach.

The playlists are the best they've ever been in a Halo game, I don't even see how that's debatable. There's things missing, but overall, you never have to put up with anything you don't want to in 4, which is great.

Ok? It's not like this wasn't already happening with Reach.

The playlists are the best they've ever been in a Halo game, I don't even see how that's debatable. There's things missing, but overall, you never have to put up with anything you don't want to in 4, which is great.

Sort of a fool me once thing. Reach was the first fooling. We could have sworn it was gunna get better! If they just did this and that and that other thing! Brought us Squad Slayer back! So close to being good.

Theres not even a Double Team? FFA Regicide is a playlist... Theres no mercenary playlist. Huh? The playlists are just as bad if you want to get into the details as previous playlist management. Not better, not worse. Two nights ago? When I joined your party we had six so the TJ's left and started your own party. How is that proper playlist management when theres not a good playlist to go into when you hav a certain # of players?

Both Halo 2 and Halo 3's first major patches took about 5-6 months to be released. I'm curious to see how long 343's first major patch (if it exists) will take.

Pop

Sort of a fool me once thing. Reach was the first fooling. We could have sworn it was gunna get better! If they just did this and that and that other thing! Brought us Squad Slayer back! So close to being good.

RIP Squad Slayer

Playlist management could be better in H4, like adding classic.

Ramirez

It did get better for me, I'd rather chop my dick off than ever play Reach again.

It's never good when the new game continues losing players. I guarantee you they would have liked that to go the other way and have the player population going up for Halo 4. Just saying.

Well duh, Halo just doesn't have the staying power it used to. No one knows the exact reasons, but I would bet that if you stripped the game of everything and made it like Halo 2 it still wouldn't have a large population. Hopefully Halo 2 Anny supports online and we can really find out if the people really did just want an updated stripped down version of Halo.

ElRenoRaven

It did get better for me, I'd rather chop my dick off than ever play Reach again.

Well duh, Halo just doesn't have the staying power it used to. No one knows the exact reasons, but I would bet that if you stripped the game of everything and made it like Halo 2 it still wouldn't have a large population. Hopefully Halo 2 Anny supports online and we can really find out if the people really did just want an updated stripped down version of Halo.

I agree with you on that. I really would like to see Halo 2 Anniversary with online play intact and see where the population goes. It would be interesting to see without a doubt. Also it could be a good thing if they did. Maybe do that and based off which ends up with more playing it could decide the direction for 5 and beyond.

CyReN

I think all of us want Halo 2 Anniversary MP, I just hope they don't fear "losing" their playbase because people will play MP on there a lot more. Hell they could cut out all the glitches and I'll still play $60 for the Mp on XBL.

ElRenoRaven

I think all of us want Halo 2 Anniversary MP, I just hope they don't fear "losing" their playbase because people will play MP on there a lot more. Hell they could cut out all the glitches and I'll still play $60 for the Mp on XBL.

Same here. While I had some big issues with Halo 2's online I still played the hell out of it. Hell if the player base was there for the mediocre Vista port I'd be playing it a ton.

honestly just port halo 2, and ill pay sixty dollars to play it online idgaf. all halo 2 maps + dlc + vista maps, maybe a map creator if at all possible. they're not worried about losing us, because we're the "vocal minority."

ElRenoRaven

It should be a crime what was allowed to happen to the PC ports.

I agree with you 100 percent. Halo PC I believe was the best but even still it was far from perfect. Halo 2 however man Microsoft screwed the fanbase royally between forcing it on live which was pay for the PC at that time, then gimping the tools given to the players, and lastly forcing it as Vista only that was a death sentence and the largest FU they could have given the fans. Well of course until they just quit putting any of the others out on PC.

ElRenoRaven

It can't be a felony though. We don't want to kill people who made custom server browsers.

LOL. True at least both have custom server browsers. That was the one big plus to come out of those. You can still find a good server on Halo PC to this day and play for hours on end. Sadly the controller support is lacking on that. Can't set deadzones at all. Makes playing with the controller hard as hell. I still manage to do pretty decent with the 360 controller in spite of that though. lol

On Nov 7th there were 410,534 players at peak time, four days later it fell sharply, six days later it fell sharply to 205,704 dropping by half. It has not recovered from there. Today the peak sits currently at 111,741.

Why does 343 continue to cater to the people that played the first five days, when you have no control over them?

Answer that.

Look at the H4 thread click Who Posted? There are maybe 50 names with 20+ posts, then you can scroll forever on people who just have a few posts. Its truly a 80/20-20/80 theory at work. I guarantee if you go find those low posts they are just random posts of their snapshot opinion about the game and have very little knowledge about it in the posts.

orznge

Banned
Exaggerate much? Some of you guys can really be ridiculous at times. No the game is not perfect but broken? Lol might be the best halo for me. They just need to work on some things.

You should probably hop on over to the Halo 4 OT, this thread's been ruined by Team Downer as of late. I barely even lurk in it anymore.

kylej

Banned
On Nov 7th there were 410,534 players at peak time, four days later it fell sharply, six days later it fell sharply to 205,704 dropping by half. It has not recovered from there. Today the peak sits currently at 111,741.

Why does 343 continue to cater to the people that played the first five days, when you have no control over them?

Answer that.

itKaChVrBwSoQ.gif

Tawpgun

Reworking the graphics, the sound, and the engine. With that in place, im sure halo 5 will be smoother. Not to mention taking over reach and making halo cea

lol.

So basically what every studio including Bungie does to sequels.

Taking over Reach was a small team. CEA was as easy if not easier than Halo ODST. Take an existing engine and make a new game. Except the game was already there.

FyreWulff

Reworking the graphics, the sound, and the engine. With that in place, im sure halo 5 will be smoother. Not to mention taking over reach and making halo cea

They didn't really take over Reach, considering all they did was release maps Bungie made as DLC after Bungie handed the game off to them.

Handing off Reach was so pointless.

Havok

I don't agree with the bolded - it depends on what you want out of a set of playlists, I think. Even then, what an incredibly low quality bar to set.

A month out and one of the three core objective gametypes that the game has is already being cut out of matchmaking entirely. One of the remaining two is going to follow soon if population is any indication. The last real objective gametype is totally unsuitable for big team in its current form, so BTB remains a Slayer-only playlist and is missing the thing that made BTB such a great experience in its golden years. That's leaving out my distaste for some of the key changes they made to gametypes (because yeah, I know, it's subjective).

CTF is occasionally Neutral Bomb Ghost Town levels of stupid with Complex and Abandon CTF - how did that make it through (probably because the playlist would only have 3 maps in it at that point; well managed indeed)? There's no good FFA experience when it would not be difficult to create one using the gametypes we have available currently. A much-needed objective gametype that is on the disc was held back until DLC released when it is supported on a large number of disc maps.

Being able to pick what you want has come at the price of everything having a home somewhere, and I can't see it working long-term. I can see why people like it, but I really don't believe it has any sort of staying power when Halo's population is trending like it is.

Ramirez

I don't agree with the bolded - it depends on what you want out of a set of playlists, I think. Even then, what an incredibly low quality bar to set.

A month out and one of the three core objective gametypes that the game has is already being cut out of matchmaking entirely. One of the remaining two is going to follow soon if population is any indication. The last real objective gametype is totally unsuitable for big team in its current form, so BTB remains a Slayer-only playlist and is missing the thing that made BTB such a great experience in its golden years. That's leaving out my distaste for some of the key changes they made to gametypes (because yeah, I know, it's subjective).

CTF is occasionally Neutral Bomb Ghost Town levels of stupid with Complex and Abandon CTF. There's no good FFA experience when it would not be difficult to create one using the gametypes we have available currently. A much-needed objective gametype that is on the disc was held back until DLC released when it is supported on a large number of disc maps.

Being able to pick what you want has come at the price of everything having a home somewhere, and I can't see it working long-term. I can see why people like it, but I really don't believe it has any sort of staying power when Halo's population is trending like it is.

How many times have I had to suffer AR/SMG starts while playing Stockpile? Never. Best ever.

m23

Extractions should be up tomorrow in matchmaking right? I enjoyed it quite a bit in customs so wonder if it will be as fun in actual matchmaking.

Picked up Hitman today, need my stealth fix after a long several years. I miss old Splinter Cell :(

Havok

How many times have I had to suffer AR/SMG starts while playing Stockpile? Never. Best ever.
How many times would you ever have to start with an AR in this game were they to go away from the single-gametype playlist model? Never.

How many times would you ever have to play a shitty gametype if the developers took the time and managed the weighting, map/gametype combinations, and voting slot assignment properly and you were easily able to force the vote to a widely-loved gametype in the first slot with your full team, which you regularly play with? Rarely, if ever.

Take the best of both worlds rather than throwing everything out and starting from the ground up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I thought it was a good idea at first, now I'm totally against the "each gametype gets its own playlist" philosophy. It wasn't much better in previous Halos, but having roughly 75% of your population in maybe half the playlists just doesn't cut it.

Tunavi

Banned
That's not saying much. Also, the gametypes are horrible, so yeah, everyone gets their own pile of shit when they want it.

Ramirez

How many times would you ever have to start with an AR in this game were they to go away from the single-gametype playlists? Never.

How many times would you ever have to play a shitty gametype if the developers took the time and managed the weighting, map/gametype combinations, and voting slot assignment properly and you were easily able to force the vote to a widely-loved gametype in the first slot with your full team, which you regularly play with? Rarely, if ever.

Take the best of both worlds rather than throwing everything out and starting from the ground up.

I was forced to play Uncaged quite a bit in Reach, no system is perfect. I will take the individual playlists over the playlists of old any day though. Notice I said they weren't perfect, but I never groan about something I'm being forced to play in 4. I did it all the time in past Halo's.

FFA Swords on Construct? WOOO

^ The gametypes are horrible how? It's your basic Halo gametypes since the beginning of time. Most of them just need respawn timers and they're fine.

Thanks to Deadnames for the spec code, very generous!

I know people are probably getting tired of blackops talk, but shit needs to be discussed that we want in Halo.

In Blackops 2 theater mode has surpassed Halo now. Not only can you select clips from a video and splice them together, but there is now a "auto montage" mode that selects clips instantly from gameplay, rates them and runs you through them were you can do final "editing."

Also, you can view from first person of anyone playing. Also, auto youtube upload in HD for free and all that.

How in the world COD actually surpassed Halo in something that Halo did first is astounding to me.

WOW. That is exactly what I was asking for from Halo 4, back in July

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40296764&postcount=139

I'm baffled at how COD continues to improve and innovate its meta features whilst Halo's stagnate or flat out degenerate. It's a real kick in the teeth for Halo fans.

I'll admit I enjoy the game - but in the month that it's been out I've played it very little. I enjoy it when I do play it (for the short intervals that I do play) but I don't really feel drawn back to it necessarily. I think part of it is that it's just so vastly different from what it used to be. It's fun (at times) but it's just not really Halo.

Same here. I really enjoy Halo 4 when playing with friends; playing alone is pretty bad however and I usually stick to Regicide, not caring. Halo 4 is better than Reach. I say this as somebody who liked Reach a lot when the conditions were right. After the TU, Reach's biggest problem was atrocious, confused playlist management (plus a dearth of quality maps).

Halo 4's snagging on a lack of depth at the moment. There's just not a lot to learn, so to speak. Something I loved about all Halo's prior to Halo 4 was learning weapon spawns and their timers. That's jettisoned in favour of arbitrariness.

-Global Ordnance is a failure; it does nothing but produce bullshit moments (Rockets spawn in front of the enemy) or moments of cheap indifference that makes it feel like an arcade video game rather than a sport (Rockets spawn in front of you).

-Instant respawn is harmful to the overall flow and pace of the game, doesn't work with the shield system and has no discernible benefit to the gameplay.

-Camo is horrible, artless, gravely boring and brings a snail like style of play out of its users. Promethean Vision is just puzzling; what does it really add? I can tell you assuredly that it breaks CTF on Adrift.

-Not enough small maps.

-Flinch instead of knock out of scope

-Needs ranked playlists with visible 1-50 and something connected in the service record that players covet, in order to incentivise ranked play

-UI needs a complete overhaul

I enjoy Halo 4 in spite of these things. I enjoy it but I'm not hooked like Halo used to hook me in. Halo 4 needs a little more depth than it currently has.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, funny going back through posting history and reading speculations based on limited info; some turned out to be true

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36729125&postcount=14793

Halo 2/3 with a 'loadout' system which let you choose between spawning with BR or AR would have been great.

I think the playlist management has been great personally in terms of gametypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom