• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

J10

Banned
Certain Affinity issues his paycheck. I think he genuinely cares about the community, it's just that Microsoft's putting the muzzle on him.

I don't think there's a muzzle on Frankie or anyone else over at Microsoft. There's just nothing he can add to the conversation here. He certainly shouldn't be expected to come here and defend the game. If we take him at his word that he's proud of what he and his team have accomplished, what is there for him to add in a thread where their efforts are criticized nonstop?

I'm getting real sick of the Boltshot in Slayer.

jvvtKNQF4uqug.png

These stats are just slayer, no Capture The Flag or Oddball or any other game mode. I don't know if there's a way to view weapon stats over-all on Waypoint.

Omni

I'm getting real sick of the Boltshot in Slayer.

http://i.minus.com/jvvtKNQF4uqug.png[img]

These stats are just slayer, no Capture The Flag or Oddball or any other game mode. [B]I don't know if there's a way to view weapon stats over-all on Waypoint.[/B][/QUOTE]

I was trying to figure that out the other day. Couldn't find anything

[quote="TheOhrenberger, post: 46875898"]Some of the achievements in that game are just irritating. Thank god you can have skulls on while going for them (bandanna), otherwise I would have gone insane trying to beat the Library on heroic without dying.[/QUOTE]
I actually didn't have any problems with the difficulty ones - I've been playing pretty much since release 11 years ago and have got quite decent at CE's campaign. Just the random ones have thrown me off (like not killing any Grunts on TB)

Fotos

Was sick and had finals this entire week so I haven't been on Xbox. I am actually really excited to play Halo 4 tomorrow which is surprising. Gonna play so much of the Forge playlist and I still need to beat the new Spartan Ops episode. Also excited for AGL. Gonna be a good 3 day weekend.

Why are people acting like 343 isn't capable of adding BPR to the game? They've said a billion times that they don't want to.

I guess the idea was they would eventually bend to popular whim.

Perhaps people is taking too seriously this:
"... we think of the community as a direct and democratic extension of the team and, indeed, of the development process. ... "
(And I have seen more people that want or are neutral to ranks, than against them... , then again is more likely that only a handful of decisions can be influenced by the community and so far it seems ranks are not one of them.)

This weeks bulletin reminds me... when was the last community playdate? or play with 343? They did one every month with Reach...

I miss them. Even when I've only participated in two.

heckfu

Banned
I'm on Halo 4 for another hour or so if people want to play. People that I know, anyway. Not social enough tonight to play with new folks.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm on Halo 4 for another hour or so if people want to play. People that I know, anyway. Not social enough tonight to play with new folks.

Not that I'm going to play (I'm not) but out of curiosity if I asked to play with you, would you say yes or no?

It's been a huge inconvenience to get Halo 2 (PC) running but I've resolved to 100% the achievements before they shut it down. I was just commenting the other day to Stephen about how every Halo title was still playable online. It was a nice idea while it lasted.

Played some small matches on Warlock and Midship, and it felt great, like playing a higher resolution and higher framerate version of the console game, although the framerate is inconsistent, and there's no option to lock it like in Halo PC. But the controller support is excellent, even making use of the headset port. I plugged in my old Plantronics Halo 2 headset for old times' sake.

The Campaign is a lot easier on Legendary when the framerate is higher, too.

I don't remember the movement speed in Halo 2 being so slow. Halo 4 definitely feels faster, but that could just be because of Sprint.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's been a huge inconvenience to get Halo 2 (PC) running but I've resolved to 100% the achievements before they shut it down. I was just commenting the other day to Stephen about how every Halo title was still playable online. It was a nice idea while it lasted.

Played some small matches on Warlock and Midship, and it felt great, like playing a higher resolution and higher framerate version of the console game, although the framerate is inconsistent, and there's no option to lock it like in Halo PC. But the controller support is excellent, even making use of the headset port. I plugged in my old Plantronics Halo 2 headset for old times' sake.

The Campaign is a lot easier on Legendary when the framerate is higher, too.

I don't remember the movement speed in Halo 2 being so slow. Halo 4 definitely feels faster, but that could just be because of Sprint.

Wider FOV playing tricks on you. Halo 2 was in SD.

Moa

YummyYummYum, there is a lot more to the situation than most are aware of. There are tons of us constantly scouring the forums, and yes, outside places, too, making sure we get a pulse on what the Halo community feels.

It is nearly impossible for us to answer every, single question in the forums since there are literally thousands of posts per day.

Some of our slower-moving forums such as "Halo Waypoint" will shed more light on an employee post since the topics don't move as quickly as the Halo 4 section, for example. That doesn't mean we are here.

To assume that we aren't here is a great disservice to yourself. We see your thoughts. We see your ideas. Does that mean all will come to fruition? No. Does that mean a change will occur in a matter of days? Hardly. But we always value the opinions of the community.

Also note that this particular forum, while huge, represents a tiny portion of the entire community, and we have more means that a forum post to gather data and information. Not to mention that collecting said data often takes more time than you may think to make sure we get the information right.

As far as what we are up to, well you do know:

File Share (In-game Search online the 29th, Web coming in Feb.)
CSR - Announced for April
Majestic Map Mack - Small maps, oh so small! February
The addition of Grifball & Team Doubles (plus the Community Forge Test playlist to get more small maps to you)
TU coming next month - details will be released after the TU is live to not inform people of exploits
web fixes and other general support

This is just what's in the pipeline for right now. Are we working on other things? Absolutely. I'm speaking to playlists and such - don't see your favorite above? Doesn't mean we don't hear you loud and clear.

Again, though, anything you'd like to say, please do.

Found this on Halo Waypoint from rukizzel.

"TU coming next month - details will be released after the TU is live to not inform people of exploits" - Thought that would interest you most, if they have no plans on releasing details on it until after it is released, then don't expect anything like a Boltshot nerf or a DMR nerf or all that stuff.

Havok

Found this on Halo Waypoint from rukizzel.

"TU coming next month - details will be released after the TU is live to not inform people of exploits" - Thought that would interest you most, if they have no plans on releasing details on it until after it is released, then don't expect anything like a Boltshot nerf or a DMR nerf or all that stuff.
...so put a boilerplate "fixes various exploits related to X and X and X elements," line like every other developer does when putting out patch notes? You don't have to give step-by-step reproduction instructions, or if you're that worried, just don't say what they're related to at all. Balance changes not even being hinted at up front out of fear that exploits will increase as a result is ridiculous, especially when there is nothing tying the two subjects together except this misguided notion that if one is going to be talked about ahead of time, the other has to be so it doesn't feel left out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it makes no sense to give zero information instead of some information, at least not for the reasons they're giving. Opacity doesn't really benefit anyone.

Hahahahahahahah

You goto waypoint twitters and its like oh we got a new spartan ops episode

NOBODY PLAYS THAT SHIT!

Lol this shit is hilarious and TRUE.

RdN

...so put a boilerplate "fixes various exploits related to X and X and X elements," line like every other developer does when putting out patch notes? You don't have to give step-by-step reproduction instructions, or if you're that worried, just don't say what they're related to at all. Balance changes not even being hinted at up front out of fear that exploits will increase as a result is ridiculous, especially when there is nothing tying the two subjects together except this misguided notion that if one is going to be talked about ahead of time, the other has to be so it doesn't feel left out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it makes no sense to give zero information instead of some information, at least not for the reasons they're giving. Opacity doesn't really benefit anyone.

I completely agree.

And I'll go even further and say that it's stupid to say that about the TU. Most of people are not asking about bug fixes, but about balancing the game.. Talking about that wouldn't hurt. Not talking about it, however...

Duji

Yea, it is as simple as that. Remember when Fyrewulf was adamant that they couldn't patch bloom out of the pre-existing Reach maps? A 343 employee mocked his skepticism on Twitter saying something along the lines of "I love it when people boast of what we can and can't do. Our technicians are amazing". That was completely changing embedded gameplay systems. If you or others honestly think they can't TU in a number on the UI, then you've got seriously low expectations of this AAA studio reported to be assembled from the finest the industry has to offer.

And I don't have to prove anything. The bottom line is, if they wanted ranked playlists in their game they would have done. They don't and so they didn't. Simple as that.

The Henery laying down the smackdown as usual.

zap

Yea, it is as simple as that. Remember when Fyrewulf was adamant that they couldn't patch bloom out of the pre-existing Reach maps? A 343 employee mocked his skepticism on Twitter saying something along the lines of "I love it when people boast of what we can and can't do. Our technicians are amazing". That was completely changing embedded gameplay systems. If you or others honestly think they can't TU in a number on the UI, then you've got seriously low expectations of this AAA studio reported to be assembled from the finest the industry has to offer.

And I don't have to prove anything. The bottom line is, if they wanted ranked playlists in their game they would have done. They don't and so they didn't. Simple as that.

I forgot about that. He got a lot of slack from people who had no clue. 343 laughed at him saying they couldn't do it, but then when they did it, well... they had to break LAN compatibility - something Bungie never did.

Yeah. Dot maps.

Arnie

I love that the Forbes article about how Halo's been replaced by COD on the competitive circuit was retweeted by Jaime Griessemar.

EDIT: Didn't see it posted above, sorry.

Why are people acting like 343 isn't capable of adding BPR to the game? They've said a billion times that they don't want to.

Dude, it might not be as simple as that. I mean Frankie said how hard it was to make a Halo game; maybe adding BPRCSR into the game is just too technically difficult and a bridge too far for them?

Agreed. It's a remarkable change of tack from 343 too. Months before Reach's TU, possible changes were being touted by the company. Fall damage? Sword block? Bleed through? Now, a mere month before the first major TU in their own game, the proposed changes are shrouded in secrecy, which is fine concerning glitches and exploits but I'd have thought they'd have shed some light on at least some of the sandbox changes with only four weeks to go.

TheOddOne

Nah, see what I've gathered is that a majority of people dislike me for my radical opinions on things that aren't Halo.
I've seen some of your comments non-Halo related and I've never felt that they were that radical. You atleast put in the effort to explain why you feel a certain way (which are usually sound points), I can't say that for many bait-and-switch posters around GAF.

With all this doom and gloom, I'm still exited for Spartan Ops next week. Yeah, don't stone me guys. Guys.

Omni

CTF game on Adrift

Oh how I love being thrown in games against full parties. Especially when they cap a few flags and just spend the rest of the match just spawn killing you (I joined the match late and managed to go 10-7... which is pretty shitty, but not too bad in comparison to my team mates I guess). Twas frustrating because they weren't terribly good in a 1v1 situation... It's just that most times you were fighting 3+ at a time.

I actually ran into that "Nooo itz sleek" guy yesterday and a bit before that too. Surprisingly enough, he was in a full party then as well... doing the same thing. I don't usually care that much, but after being put in games against him and his party a few times I can't help but think what a jackass he is. I wish the avoid feature worked properly.

Top Bottom