• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Need a community opinion on this.

Right now, I have two grenade launchers in my sandbox: the Grenade Launcher and the Phasebuster. The Grenade Launcher works like the Sticky Detonator normally, alt-fire (activated by holding down the trigger) fires a classic Reach Grenade Launcher shot.

The Phasebuster fires Phase and Pulse grenades in their default modes (my sandbox adds "altmodes" to prom nades), initiated with the same trigger-hold mechanic.

Would you guys rather they be merged into a universal grenade launcher? It would have different projectiles based on what grenades you fed it, initiated by hitting the switch grenade button accordingly and reloading.
Frag: Reach-style grenade
Plasma: Sticky Detonator grenade
Phase: TBA
Pulse: TBA

I would have to somehow compensate for the low grenade counts on-map so that ammo wouldn't be as sparse, however.

heckfu

Banned

Right now, I have two grenade launchers in my sandbox: the Grenade Launcher and the Phasebuster. The Grenade Launcher works like the Sticky Detonator normally, alt-fire (activated by holding down the trigger) fires a classic Reach Grenade Launcher shot.

The Phasebuster fires Phase and Pulse grenades in their default modes (my sandbox adds "altmodes" to prom nades), initiated with the same trigger-hold mechanic.

Would you guys rather they be merged into a universal grenade launcher? It would have different projectiles based on what grenades you fed it, initiated by hitting the switch grenade button accordingly and reloading.

I would have to somehow compensate for the low grenade counts on-map so that ammo wouldn't be as sparse, however.

You need your own Halo Fan Faction forum.

That was some nice flawed logic slightly live. Have fun.

Hey. Fifa tonight.

Woorloog

Banned
We haven't gotten a whole lot of info on her backstory--one of the reasons she's pretty weak in Ops, in my opinion.

Not much backstory doesn't make her bad. Other issues make her bad...
Hood didn't have much backstory in Halo 2, yet he was pretty good character. Or Johnson. Especially if you hadn't read the books (like i hadn't back then).
Characterization is more important than how much backstory one has.
Palmer is just a bossy soldier who doesn't seem to be very officer-like (IMO) and hates Halsey without good reason. If she acted like an officer should, be more professional (wear the fucking helmet combat, drop the snarking) i wouldn't have problems with her character.

Got to ask, why are you doing this?

What did I miss?
Go back a few pages to last night, I respond to each of Danis wild accusation.

Regarding the rumor of me yelling at bsangel, all I have to say to that is you kids and your fairy tails... This stuff is getting out of hand. I have no problem being a black sheep in this community, it's something that I've taken in stride despite being a very good person (IMO) obviously I've said stupid things in the past but let's not forget I've been a part of the Halo community since I was 13 so yeah I was bound to make a few public mistakes. My main issue is when people make claims about things that I have done that are 100% untrue and with no actual way to prove it. Fyrewulf was going off on twitter about how I am basically the anti Christ and yelled at Jessica while I was a pax... This to me is completely absurd because I have always had nothing but a good repore with her. It's unfortunate that due to the fact that she's a 343 employee she likely shouldn't get involved in this, otherwise I would love for her to clear it up.

Anyways long and short of it, I can be an asshole on here yes absolutely but people that have taken the time to get to know me in real life I think would say I am a good person. Some of you people just hold bizarre grudges and it'a childish.

Fuchsdh

Not much backstory doesn't make her bad. Other issues make her bad...
Hood didn't have much backstory in Halo 2, yet he was pretty good character. Or Johnson. Especially if you hadn't read the books (like i hadn't back then).
Characterization is more important than how much backstory one has.
Palmer is just a bossy soldier who doesn't seem to be very officer-like (IMO) and hates Halsey without good reason. If she acted like an officer should, be more professional (wear the fucking helmet combat, drop the snarking) i wouldn't have problems with her character.

Well to be fair though it doesn't take much to like Hood or understand him. In the games he's pretty one-note.

Palmer is in the face of it a less like able character, which I think is fine and good, but not having any reasons why she is like that makes me just want to write her off as a jerk rather than look for any depth.

Hire Fyre, Wahrer and Havok. Then hire me for positive reinforcement :]

images

Karl2177

Im going be brutally honest here. I'm anticipating this sandbox post. But I don't give a third world fuck about how you are making it. Just finish it up, present a rough version for feedback, reiterate on the feedback, produce a final version. All these little hints and teases aren't hyping me up, they're making me skip over your posts because you keep talking about a redacted this and a gravity that.

Akai__

Regarding the rumor of me yelling at bsangel, all I have to say to that is you kids and your fairy tails... This stuff is getting out of hand. I have no problem being a black sheep in this community, it's something that I've taken in stride despite being a very good person (IMO) obviously I've said stupid things in the past but let's not forget I've been a part of the Halo community since I was 13 so yeah I was bound to make a few public mistakes. My main issue is when people make claims about things that I have done that are 100% untrue and with no actual way to prove it. Fyrewulf was going off on twitter about how I am basically the anti Christ and yelled at Jessica while I was a pax... This to me is completely absurd because I have always had nothing but a good repore with her. It's unfortunate that due to the fact that she's a 343 employee she likely shouldn't get involved in this, otherwise I would love for her to clear it up.

Anyways long and short of it, I can be an asshole on here yes absolutely but people that have taken the time to get to know me in real life I think would say I am a good person. Some of you people just hold bizarre grudges and it'a childish.

You don't need to justify yourself. People will always find something to pick on. It's science.

I know. haha

I want this job. Too bad I don't graduate for another 2 years

KNow that feel, but it will take me even longer.

Woorloog

Banned
Well to be fair though it doesn't take much to like Hood or understand him. In the games he's pretty one-note.

Palmer is in the face of it a less like able character, which I think is fine and good, but not having any reasons why she is like that makes me just want to write her off as a jerk rather than look for any depth.

True that... Hood wasn't the best example. Can't think of any good examples...

Anyway, i'd probably write Palmer off even with backstory. The first impression of her was that she's unprofessional snarker and a jerk. Not interested in excuses (jerks rarely have any other justification for being jerks) for how characters act, that's not "depth", it is a cliche.
EDIT heh, just realized, i normally like snarking characters but Palmer is a rare exception.

Computer

The new sandbox opens up so many interesting new potential experiences. It's a shame custom load-outs are such a focal point right now. With the absence of Action Sack, more variety on that level would be so refreshing. It's depressing to see so many cool new guns ignored because the DMR is king.

Infinity slayer should be one game type thats it. Regular slayer and Regular CTF should be the dominant games like always. Infinity should be nothing more then a novice team fiesta game type for casuals to play if they feel the need. Instead they take away what Halo is and force feed infinity into every playlist.

Kibbles

With Halo looking pretty bad right now, Microsoft focusing on Kinect, Durango a lot weaker PS4, PS4 focusing on games, might switch over to PS4 next gen, looking a lot better than what Microsoft is doing right now.

Fuchsdh

True that... Hood wasn't the best example. Can't think of any good examples...

Anyway, i'd probably write Palmer off even with backstory. The first impression of her was that she's unprofessional snarker and a jerk. Not interested in excuses (jerks rarely have any other justification for being jerks) for how characters act, that's not "depth", it is a cliche.
EDIT heh, just realized, i normally like snarking characters but Palmer is a rare exception.
Eh, I guess we disagree then. I think of it like villains; I'd rather have a villain that has a relatable story about why he went bad then just a guy who pops up and starts kicking puppies. I'm not going to *root* for him either way, but ill at least understand why he does what he does.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, I guess we disagree then. I think of it like villains; I'd rather have a villain that has a relatable story about why he went bad then just a guy who pops up and starts kicking puppies. I'm not going to *root* for him either way, but ill at least understand why he does what he does.

Ah but Palmer isn't a villain. She doesn't have much point in the whole damn story either, other than bully Halsey around and be supposedly cool by fighting with dual magnums without helmet.
Also, villain that just kicks puppies for the sake of doing so isn't much of a villain. Not nowadays anyway.
And i prefer villains who are not jerkasses anyway.

It's good to know that all of the stories I heard about you being a jerk to female members of the Halo community at PAX 2012 are 100% untrue. ;)

(To be fair, you've always been nice to me in person. We're cool, dude. Dani got the facts wrong, I know you bought that badass controller fair and square. Let's just leave it at that.)

-------
Uh, Halo. I need to spruce up the HaloGAF.com PAX page for East, we should plan a meetup again.

willow ve

With Halo looking pretty bad right now, Microsoft focusing on Kinect, Durango a lot weaker PS4, PS4 focusing on games, might switch over to PS4 next gen, looking a lot better than what Microsoft is doing right now.

If the neXt Box really is focused on Kinect and the "entertainment" side of the consel - and is leagues behind the PS4 as far as graphics and hardware I might consider purchasing my first ever Sony console.

The rumours currently floating around, however, are really hard to believe either way. Depending on what rumour you believe the Xbox or the PS4 is twice as powerful as the other, or vice versa. It seems we'll know more about the PS4 in a few weeks (the 20th), but I don't recall seeing a date for the Xbox reveal.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Infinity Slayer should've been a drop-in, drop-out never ending FFA.

When you drop out you get your xp. Otherwise stay and rack up endlessly.

Hah. Those stats would be insane.

Any impressions on this week's Spartan Ops? Been looking forward to it. Unlike some previous episodes I think I've replayed each mission 5 or 6 times now. Lots of great battles and teamwork to be found.

If the neXt Box really is focused on Kinect and the "entertainment" side of the consel - and is leagues behind the PS4 as far as graphics and hardware I might consider purchasing my first ever Sony console.

The rumours currently floating around, however, are really hard to believe either way. Depending on what rumour you believe the Xbox or the PS4 is twice as powerful as the other, or vice versa. It seems we'll know more about the PS4 in a few weeks (the 20th), but I don't recall seeing a date for the Xbox reveal.

The chances of the PS4 being "twice the power" is really pretty damn low. I would be shocked if they weren't pretty close in terms of capabilities.

MS is going to without a doubt focus on entertainment as much as gaming with their next Xbox though. What MS has done with the 360 entertainment wise is pretty damn impressive considering the infrastructure for it was basically nonexistent when the console launched. I'm excited to see what they've been cooking up with assumingly a fully vision of the future of the console and the platform.

Fuchsdh

That would actually be kind of cool, although something like that you would think would require dedis (or at least would function a lot better that way.)

Computer

Everything that MS touches they cater to the casual. When will they learn?

Not as far as Seattle.
...or Australia!
If I hadn't gone to Japan last year I would so have joined ye in Seattle.

Boston is
a) too close time wise
b) there's not a... game like Halo 4 to go group around

Perhaps it is my destiny to Seattle this year.
it's times like this when I'm grateful to live only 40 mins south of it haha. I remember when PAX East first was announced to come to Boston and I was so excited because I never had the opportunity to go to something like it before.
I've been to Gamescom, which was good fun, but the language barrier made it awkard, and it's a very different convention, more just huge game stands and not the community, panel vibe that PAX has.
Thinking about it. Also Steam thing is bunk as far as our stuff is concerned anyway. on't know what Dyad is or what that was all about.
Damn shame, but thank you so much for clarifying Frankie.
Now look at the reactions and do the math bro. BANK

Akai__

Exactly this. It's really hard to believe. It's also very suspicious, that Sony says, that they will await moves from Microsoft 1st and then they proceed to announce the PS4...

Forcing Microsoft to do something, nothing else.

The consoles will be okay, I guess. A lot of improvements and more things for casuals for sure. Not a high end PC, but it will last for an other 10 years, probably. I hate hardware limitations, but it's the way it is, right know. I'm looking forward. :D

Top Bottom