• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo 4 was a bigger deal breaker than any of this always online nonsense.

If I have no faith in the future direction of Halo, which I don't, I subsequently lose most of my faith in Xbox. Obviously I don't know what else Microsoft have up their sleeve, but it'd have to be pretty big to win me over at this stage.

I feel the same way. The fact that there is also an alternative that just happens to be a beast and will have Destiny on it make it really easy.

Madness

Ha ha, if i had to guess I'd say it was the proximity between "for" and the "K" in KOTH. Silly, I know.

What the 'fork' Ellis?

That aside, you can't deny Activision is going all out with this championship.

Also, I feel you Thug Waffle on being old and not wanting to game. I don't know, I've been feeling this way for a while. It's become a chore more than a cherished hobby.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This is like everyone who buys Starcraft haha. I got the first one, loved it, but couldn't win a match online.

Stick with it. I'm not a good player myself (Gold) but I seriously grinded it out from rock bottom. Winning in StarCraft in so damn satisfying.

Madness

This is like everyone who buys Starcraft haha. I got the first one, loved it, but couldn't win a match online.

I stopped playing the original because I started to get my ass handed to me by Koreans and for some reason, what they would write would also be a jumbled mess on my computer. That, and the fact map and mineral hacks became so prevalent.

Haven't had a decent gaming PC since, but I still watched tons of matches of Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm.

Here's hoping that I have a decent PC by the time the Protoss campaign is out and Blizzard makes some kind of new battle chest that has all 3 games for one price.

BigShow36

Funny you mention that first thing, Cyren, because Call of Duty 1 is similarly "not close" to its contemporaries.

You're looking at the wrong things, similar to how developers go astray. When you look at what matters, CoD 1 is similar to modern CoD games.

The core hooks of a game are really what builds and keeps a fanbase. The hooks of Call of Duty remain the same. CoD was a PC game that made the transition to console, which is why it took a few iterations to gain traction (I actually dropped Halo 2 for CoD 2), not because it drastically changed it's formula. As CoD progressed, it did one thing fundamentally different than Halo did: it enhanced it's hooks while Halo obfuscated.

The perk system and create-a-class are enhancements to what was already a class based shooter. The hooks of CoD where it's fast gunplay and class-based "realistic" warfare. None of that has changed.

Now look at Halo. The hooks of Halo were that it was a game of skill that pitted opponents against each other on equal footing. Players fought to gain temporary advantages around the map (powerups, power weapons, position). Movement was crisp, shooting was skillful and the game was predictable. EVERY single one of those hooks has changed. Thats why Halo is in decline.

I like the music. Not sure about the map. Already bought it, either way.

Microsoft issued this statement (not sure if posted):
"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

edit: http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

So if the top played game on the XBL charts is "bad" and "sucks" then what does that make Halo? Just saying cause you dudes throw around a ton of hate towards CoD. A game sucking and not being for you are two separate things.

Madness

Jh4D3t9.jpg

Damn, I feel bad for the guy now. People have already created memes using his twitter display pic as well.

The fact Major Nelson is apologizing on his behalf shows how upset someone at MS was with what he said yesterday. The last thing they needed was a shitstorm of negativity on GAF, twitter, Reddit, IGN, Kotaku etc.

I haven't played in at least a couple months, I just popped in when I saw you guys had made it to OT16. I've more or less given up completely on Halo. I loved the series so much, but H4's multiplayer is/was bad and the story was appalling. I can't bring myself to even really acknowledge it as Halo. I'm more or less waiting solely on Rome Total War 2 now in terms of video games, the sequel to the greatest game of any generation and genre ever, but it looks like CA are dumbing that down to appeal to casuals. *sigh*

In part it's connected to the overall "Friends" system (recent games etc) so while its easy to comparisons after a match is finished and 'reported', doing it beforehand isn't trivial, but I suspect there's a way to make the manual process of searching for a user (one whose GT you're looking at in the lobby) simpler. I will talk to the web team.

Mildly impressed that you're still reading a thread whose OP is dedicated to pillorying you and your colleagues.

heckfu

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/Jh4D3t9.jpg[IMG]

Damn, I feel bad for the guy now. People have already created memes using his twitter display pic as well.

The fact Major Nelson is apologizing on his behalf shows how upset someone at MS was with what he said yesterday. The last thing they needed was a shitstorm of negativity on GAF, twitter, Reddit, IGN, Kotaku etc.[/QUOTE]

Feels bad for the guy, contributes by reposting another meme.

ZeNy

Neo Member
Jh4D3t9.jpg

The fact Major Nelson is apologizing on his behalf shows how upset someone at MS was with what he said yesterday. The last thing they needed was a shitstorm of negativity on GAF, twitter, Reddit, IGN, Kotaku etc.

He's already looking for a new job.

Ghazi

Actually, come to think of it, what happened to Conor's overhyped playdate that was supposed to happen last week?

Korosenai

Stick with it. I'm not a good player myself (Gold) but I seriously grinded it out from rock bottom. Winning in StarCraft in so damn satisfying.
I havent played in like two years lol, id love to start playing it again though. I think I got to silver then got my ass handed to me over and over because you dont rank down.

BigShow36

So many legit Halo 1 players did the same thing once Halo 2 came out with how different it felt. CoD2 was such a competitively played game at the time.

And at the time I was one of the biggest CoD haters out there. Since then, I've probably played 100x as much CoD as Halo. Sad.

I would take a great Halo game over a great CoD game any day of the week, but Halo hasn't been great for a very long time.

You're looking at the wrong things, similar to how developers go astray. When you look at what matters, CoD 1 is similar to modern CoD games.

The core hooks of a game are really what builds and keeps a fanbase. The hooks of Call of Duty remain the same. CoD was a PC game that made the transition to console, which is why it took a few iterations to gain traction (I actually dropped Halo 2 for CoD 2), not because it drastically changed it's formula. As CoD progressed, it did one thing fundamentally different than Halo did: it enhanced it's hooks while Halo obfuscated.

The perk system and create-a-class are enhancements to what was already a class based shooter. The hooks of CoD where it's fast gunplay and class-based "realistic" warfare. None of that has changed.

Now look at Halo. The hooks of Halo were that it was a game of skill that pitted opponents against each other on equal footing. Players fought to gain temporary advantages around the map (powerups, power weapons, position). Movement was crisp, shooting was skillful and the game was predictable. EVERY single one of those hooks has changed. Thats why Halo is in decline.

When you look at "what matters," Halo 1 is similar to modern Halo games.

You're just arbitrarily downplaying the changes to Call of Duty as nonexistent or inconsequential. Call of Duty hasn't changed a lot? Come on, now. Compare footage from CoD 1's base gameplay and that in Black Ops 2. The newest Halo title and the newest Call of Duty title have both clearly added a ton of new ingredients since their first iterations. Thankfully, in both games, most of those silly spices can be removed with custom gametypes.

Besides, both franchises are still highly recognizable by their gameplay. You act like you can't even tell Halo CE and Halo 4 are a part of the same franchise.

It's extremely subjective to say the perk system and create a class systems are definitively enhancements when assessing Call of Duty's competitive value. I would argue that games like Team Fortress 2 do (or did... until all the new weapons came out) class-based warfare "better" because each class' equipment is consistent no matter who is playing. The weapons and abilities tend to be more balanced as a result, due largely in part to simplicity.

If one of the hooks of Call of Duty is its "realistic" warfare, then again I point to Call of Duty 1's multiplayer as more representative of realistic combat in the sense that you are not running around calling in air strikes from laptops that do not appear on most character models. You are not hiding in a corner and controlling aircraft or predator missiles in the middle of a firefight. You do not have special perks or unique weapon attachments. The change from WWII to modern warfare was largely a justification for the introduction of those sorts of features. It was also due to a generation of gamers growing increasingly tired of the WWII shooter, a sentiment that had its roots even in the PS1 generation. Sort of like science fiction shooters have fallen by the wayside a little bit since modern warfare titles became the rage.

Your gripes with balance changes don't negate my point. Compared to old school CoD, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 has a more random spawn system, more unbalanced and cluttered maps, perks (random, specific to each player), kill streaks (random, specific to each player). The gunplay isn't as prime as it once was, either, with continuously decreasing recoil, more emphasis on automatic weapons with inconsistent spray patterns, and nuttier hitboxes.

And seriously, all this because some posters (not you, specifically) can't respond to a hypothetical question that really doesn't require a position on any of these arguments to answer.

Will the next big shooter title in eSports be a new IP or one that already exists (like Halo once was, like Call of Duty is)?

I, for example, would say it'll probably be a brand new IP, because I can't really think of any under the radar, up-and-coming shooter franchises on consoles that have sufficiently inventive and refreshing base gameplay to offer anything different.

Ghazi

Just got an email for a Vol. 2 pre-order, it'll be on iTunes and in a complete box set.

Edit: I WAS RIGHT! There was a remake of a Halo 3 track in volume 2.

iqUNtBZfFRofS.gif

Let's not get into an argument of semantics. CoD changed a lot, Halo changed a lot. CoD used features from Halo and capitalized on what worked within its franchise and what the fans loved. Halo stopped innovating features after Halo 3 and instead copied core gameplay differences from CoD.

It's all backwards and only one thing can save Halo:
Combat Evolved 2.

Let's not get into an argument of semantics. CoD changed a lot, Halo changed a lot. CoD used features from Halo and capitalized on what worked within its franchise and what the fans loved. Halo stopped innovating features after Halo 3 and instead copied core gameplay differences from CoD.

It's all backwards and only one thing can save Halo:
Combat Evolved 2.

This.

Computer

Does anyone else want Halo 5 to go back to a slower pace Halo like Halo 3? I liked the slower pace game play. It was more of a thinking game then a run and gun chaotic mess. Everyone says to speed up game play I think the opposite. Halo 4 is a mess. I rarely run into one on one in-counters witch is very frustrating. Fast Halo = Halo 4.

Tawpgun

Does anyone else want Halo 5 to go back to a slower pace Halo like Halo 3? I liked the slower pace game play. It was more of a thinking game thin a run and gun chaotic mess. Everyone says to speed up game play I think the opposite. Fast Halo = Halo 4.

No.

Halo 4 is fast but its chaotic for other reasons.

Speed is more fun. And thinking doesn't go away. You just need to think faster on your feet.

Does anyone else want Halo 5 to go back to a slower pace Halo like Halo 3? I liked the slower pace game play. It was more of a thinking game thin a run and gun chaotic mess. Everyone says to speed up game play I think the opposite. Halo 4 is a mess. I rarely run into one on one in-counters. Fast Halo = Halo 4.

Oh shit.

Sai-kun

Banned
$47~ for another vinyl that's only gonna have 4 tracks on it again...

No, not this time.

Edit: But the remixes on vinyl...ugh.

Akai__

GTA V is current gen though, so I'm good.

But not only current gen, right? I remember Rockstar saying, that they pushed the release date back to September, because of next gen consoles.

Nvidia. Go big or go home.

AMD sucks balls.

Not true, except for current AMD CPU's.

I love Starcraft 2, just got Heart of the Swarm.

I also suck at Starcraft MP.

I'm playing the HotS campaign since yesterday. The cutscenes, the enviroments and the gameplay are fantastic. Such a beautiful game.

BigShow36

Does anyone else want Halo 5 to go back to a slower pace Halo like Halo 3? I liked the slower pace game play. It was more of a thinking game thin a run and gun chaotic mess. Everyone says to speed up game play I think the opposite. Halo 4 is a mess. I rarely run into one on one in-counters. Fast Halo = Halo 4.

No. None of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom