• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X1IWXuEbgXI/TT6cFFpNCKI/AAAAAAAADAs/Kv3R0WfB2_M/s640/concept_art_cortana_chief__halo_Isaac_Hannaford.jpg[IMG]

That's good Chief/Cortana art, that other thing...NOPE.[/QUOTE]

Halo 3 Concept art was amazing.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://gearsofhalo.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/halo3mylar1.jpg
2001117-blog_2.jpg

But Halo 2 was and still is GOAT

Cow

What if visible in game csr was a reward for reaching level 130, when you reach level 130 you could optionally switch on/off visible in game ranks. A level 130 could only see the ranks of other 130's in the lobby with it switched on as well. Surely that would solve a lot of issues with people making new accounts and deranking etc because of the time investment involved with getting to 130. This would also give people more incentive to reach SR 130.

I just think that the UI excuse is incredibly poor and if 343 really wanted to put them in game they could have done it in so many ways as to minimize the impact from abusers of the system.

I'm sure this has been thought of before, I'm just bored and frustrated at the lack of satisfaction I'm getting from Halo 4.

willow ve

What if visible in game csr was a reward for reaching level 130, when you reach level 130 you could optionally switch on/off visible in game ranks. A level 130 could only see the ranks of other 130's in the lobby with it switched on as well. Surely that would solve a lot of issues with people making new accounts and deranking etc because of the time investment involved with getting to 130. This would also give people more incentive to reach SR 130.

I just think that the UI excuse is incredibly poor and if 343 really wanted to put them in game they could have done it in so many ways as to minimize the impact from abusers of the system.

I'm sure this has been thought of before, I'm just bored and frustrated at the lack of satisfaction I'm getting from Halo 4.

I prefer the knock off method. If after a month you haven't played a match it drops you to 49. You can stay at 49 for as long as you want, but you cannot go back to a 50 without playing and earning it. Obviously you can also get deranked from losing.

This eliminates the reason of "buying a 50" as you would only ever see "true" 50s in the game (ie: people still playing and winning). I guess it could spawn a secondary market of buying/selling 49s, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

Or the 49 could be 47 - I like that number too.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Halo 3 Concept art was amazing.

But Halo 2 was and still is GOAT

There was no rocket launcher on lockout. More lies.

And holy shit, is that conference pic in the OP from PAX east? Is that like...10 minutes after it ended or something? Please tell me that it wasn't that empty.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I prefer the knock off method. If after a month you haven't played a match it drops you to 49. You can stay at 49 for as long as you want, but you cannot go back to a 50 without playing and earning it. Obviously you can also get deranked from losing.

This eliminates the reason of "buying a 50" as you would only ever see "true" 50s in the game (ie: people still playing and winning). I guess it could spawn a secondary market of buying/selling 49s, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

I think that would work well.

Cow

I have always liked these ideas as well. It's just a shame that 343 have let the actions of a few ruin it for others rather than addressing the issue more constructively. CSR on waypoint - whilst it's better than nothing - is in no way a respectable substitute for what in game ranks provided.

Seriously, this Exceed Forge map is quite the sight, really well done Forging.

If the tools are even marginally better next gen, maps are gonna be bananas.

heytred

Neo Member
They don't Frankie is just on a crusade against cheaters cause he lost his 34 to them in SWAT h3.

Has to be. It just doesn't make sense to me... a 50 never proved anything. Who cares if some kid bought a 50 in Team Slayer and sat on it? I know tons of people who did that and would still get wrecked in the custom lobbies they would hold all day.

wwm0nkey

Off-topic as hell but this was awesome.

I was working at GameStop tonight and this little kid wanted a copy of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Nintendo under shipped the hell out of it so we only had 3 copies on reserve. He looked pretty upset so I told him he can take my reserved copy. A few minutes later he comes back with his mom and he got me food.

Good deeds to pay off! :D

Completely random I know but it was pretty awesome and out of nowhere lol.

Lightning CTF and Binary Slayer are surprisingly fun, great additions for Action Sack. Late I know but I haven't been able to play for a while.

I was working at GameStop tonight and this little kid wanted a copy of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Nintendo under shipped the hell out of it so we only had 3 copies on reserve. He looked pretty upset so I told him he can take my reserved copy. A few minutes later he comes back with his mom and he got me food.

That's inspiring, good on both of you!

heckfu

Banned

That's awesome! I love when customers aren't dicks. Granted, I'm a pharmacist, so I've never experienced a nice customer in my life (but I can imagine!).

heytred

Neo Member

If only more people would show the younger generations how to act. Good on you.

CyReN

Got the Castle Map Pack DLC early again (no u4ix I didn't steal them). Anybody has any questions and whatnot feel free to ask.

matthieuC

Seriously, this Exceed Forge map is quite the sight, really well done Forging.

If the tools are even marginally better next gen, maps are gonna be bananas.
Blaze is a great forger, and he's been around for a long time, too. Never knew he could mod, though.

And yeah next gen will be amazing. We'll be able to make maps of massive scale. Can't wait.

monkey-soldier.jpg

willow ve

I've got a serious question...

why does anyone care if some kid buys a 50?

They don't Frankie is just on a crusade against cheaters cause he lost his 34 to them in SWAT h3.

There seems to be this murky dialogue that cheating/boosting/etc. was running rampant back when ranks were in H2 and H3. This does, at times, adversely affect genuine players of the game as you have players intentional deranking and losing matches over and over again so they can boost new accounts (or friends) for higher rank. I'm sure people who played a lot of H3 ran into players rubber banding (random teammates running or spinning in place) or teams manipulating the net connection to win matches (the infamous "oh they're using a lag switch").

I still think they could address the core issues without amputating the entire system from the in game lobbies.

First - Halo needs an auto-kick system. If a player isn't moving, or is doing a repetitive motion (like spinning) the game could check for that behavior and simply kick them out of the lobby (or even mid-game). There is no reason that in active players should ever be automatically put into another game after a match. It could be as simple as "push A" to enter the next lobby
(although people seem to loathe those quicktime events).

Second - They could remove the "permanent" nature of the rank. If you don't play for a month you drop your 50. If you lose, you drop your 50 according to how much and how fast you lose, etc. These ideas have been debated ad naseum on pretty much every forum associated with the franchise.

Third - Create a penalty box. If a player is caught (by the oh so talked about ban-hammer system) and is proven to be cheating/boosting/AFK, etc. then only allow them to match with other people who are in the penalty box. The matchmaking ban in Reach was fun (for those that never quit), but I understand it annoyed players. This could apply to habitual cheaters as well. Reach already laid the foundation for having "player preferences" assigned to gamertags (IE - I could choose "chatty" and "winning" and the game would attempt to find matches with other "chatty" players focused on "winning"). Have the game build invisible labels into gamertags like "cheater" "quitter" "afk" etc. - to avoid false positives wipe the slate every three weeks. You can even give a popup to the gamer that says "We notice you quit out of most of your games - we're attempting to match you with players who enjoy this style of play."

Fourth - Change the algorithm. In the past it was beneficial to derank one tag for awhile so you could boost another player (presumably a fresh gamertag or a tag that had rarely played a certain gametype). When searching with these very skewed mixed parties decrease the multiplier that is associated with a win or loss. If a win normally moved you 1/3 of the way to a new rank it would now move you 1/10 of the way.
(broke the ceiling - and then some)

Fifth - Lock the "highest rank" achieved per playlist to their players Waypoint profile if you feel this statistic is the most sought after artifact - in game only show current rank. This a) allows in game rank to show relevant, up to the moment, data and b) encourages traffic to drive to your site in a reasonable way (ie - not forcing it for literally every single CSR rank for each playlist).

Sixth - Realize that players will always (repeat always) find a way to bust the system. Nothing is infallible and there are legions of people with too much time on their hands. With the connectivity of the net those methods will spread like wildfire. A team
(hire Juices?)
is needed to monitor and respond to loopholes. Sometimes this will mean manually resetting a gamertag rank (and/or putting them in the Penalty Box hopper).

All this being said - at this point, if a straight up copy of the H3 ranking was added to H5 and it brought back a huge population I would take it in a heartbeat with all the faults it had.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

That's an awesome story.

wwm0nkey

That's an awesome story.

What makes it a bit more awesome is that some guy at Funcoland did the same thing for me when I was a kid with the GameCube and the original Luigi's Mansion so it all felt really good to do that for someone as well!

Being nice is awesome!

What makes it a bit more awesome is that some guy at Funcoland did the same thing for me when I was a kid with the GameCube and the original Luigi's Mansion so it all felt really good to do that for someone as well!

Being nice is awesome!

Wow, Funcoland, i haven't thought of that name in years.

Madness

Got the Castle Map Pack DLC early again (no u4ix I didn't steal them). Anybody has any questions and whatnot feel free to ask.

Damn, lucky. I don't think I'll be able to get this map pack. How big are they relative to maps like Vortex? And does Perdition play a bit like Terminal?

Fracas

#fuckonami

That's awesome! My local Gamestop needs more people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom