• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I just woke up from a dream that I was back in High School and all the athletic programs from around the area had Grifball leagues. But it was more like Neutral Assault than Grifball, on regular maps and such.

Tha fuk.

willow ve

I just woke up from a dream that I was back in High School and all the athletic programs from around the area had Grifball leagues. But it was more like Neutral Assault than Grifball, on regular maps and such.

Tha fuk.
Between careers I substitute taught for a semester. While doing gym class I invented a dodge ball variant based off assault. You could "arm" a dodge ball by sitting with it at center court for an audible ten count. That was an instant win for the team but left you very vulnerable.

RIP assault

Duji

I just watched this presentation Josh Menkes gave and I'm thankful I did. I learned that he made the most popular mod for my fav mp game ever: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Specifically he made the "!shuffle" command in the game, which balances the teams in the server. Needless to say, it works very well and basically every pub server in the game uses it. Paired with the fact that he also worked on the SC2 ranking system and I'd say this guy should know exactly what he's doing when it comes to ranks. Now all we need is a guarantee for day 1 visible ranks in Halo 5 and we should be good to go.

Sad that I'm even talking about Halo 5, but fuck it.

Conor 419

Banned
Won like, 12 games of Team Throwndown and haven't ranked up, wtf chums.

Also, heartening to see a lot of mic users, got trash talking some teammates yesterday and a particularly spunky British kid challenged me to a 1vs1, I accepted for lolz, and as the timer was ticking down

Me - "Yeah mate, first kill wins yeah?"
Him - "No, it's first to 15"
Me - "Well that's what's happening, so good luck"

Got in some tight BR duels with him but one or the other would back away if we were losing. Eventually we got in a mega tight fight where we killed eachother at the same time, but I was FIRST. HA.

Rev3rb

Won like, 12 games of Team Throwndown and haven't ranked up, wtf chums.

Also, heartening to see a lot of mic users, got trash talking some teammates yesterday and a particularly spunky British kid challenged me to a 1vs1, I accepted for lolz, and as the timer was ticking down

Me - "Yeah mate, first kill wins yeah?"
Him - "No, it's first to 15"
Me - "Well that's what's happening, so good luck"

Got in some tight BR duels with him but one or the other would back away if we were losing. Eventually we got in a mega tight fight where we killed eachother at the same time, but I was FIRST. HA.

image.php

To exercise his creative muscles. What's difficult to understand about that?

Being a teenager I have all sorts of hot, sticky pent-up creative juices I have to get rid of somehow.

Yeah, even if 343 think he's a loon, he's churning out potential portfolio work daily. Someone will see the value in it.

I have to wonder how bad the meltdowns would be if Wahrer Industries created a Halo killer in 10 years.
not happening

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just watched this presentation Josh Menkes gave and I'm thankful I did. I learned that he made the most popular mod for my fav mp game ever: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Specifically he made the "!shuffle" command in the game, which balances the teams in the server. Needless to say, it works very well and basically every pub server in the game uses it. Paired with the fact that he also worked on the SC2 ranking system and I'd say this guy should know exactly what he's doing when it comes to ranks. Now all we need is a guarantee for day 1 visible ranks in Halo 5 and we should be good to go.

Sad that I'm even talking about Halo 5, but fuck it.

Oh shit, thanks for the heads up on that video.

I just think it's the changing nature of the industry, try and fit as many players together.

It seems outlandish to us, but I can easily see BTB in Halo 5 increase to 10v10 or 12v12 play. So many people already wish it was more like Battlefield.

I just wish 1v1 and 2v2 and 4v4 aren't left behind sort of like they have with Halo 4.

Any reason why multi team is teams of 2 instead of 3?

Too bad you can only gather 3 friends to play battlefield compared to 17 in Halo, cant play customs or private matches unless you buy a DICE server.

I really want to see 9v9,12c12 and 16v16 playlist, actually the maps in Halo 4 are big enough to try it. Didnt anyone already saw the new maps in BTB playlist?

Tha fuk.

Just your subconscious trying to tell you how angry you are that assault was removed from Halo by 343 for no good reason.

No one wants to play Perdition.
I don't like this map as much as I thought I would. For a map that seems the largest of all three, all the action seems to take place near the reactor or the control room. It just devolves into a clusterfuck of people instantly running in to clean up people with low shields (instant spawning in Halo is a horrible, wretched design decision), which seems to happen far less frequently on the other two maps.

Had the resources to make a specific grifball variant though!
As much as I don't like the decision to eliminate Assault, not many people enjoyed or voted for it in Reach (which seems to be the only statistical data that 343 used to create Halo 4). I suppose it would have been 343'd to make it less fun than it was, ala Infinity CTF.

CyReN

So they are advertising CSR on the homepage of the dashboard!

HmK1CR3.jpg

but it takes you to this page

qhzLVyc.jpg

and if you click it , it just takes you to default Halowaypoint app...

No one knows what CSR is.

Had the resources to make a specific grifball variant though!

Gotta' have priorities, I guess. In the meantime, we get to enjoy two-flag on a bunch of asymmetrical maps. Awesome.

So they are advertising CSR on the homepage of the dashboard!

HmK1CR3.jpg

but it takes you to this page

qhzLVyc.jpg

and if you click it , it just takes you to default Halowaypoint app...

No one knows what CSR is.

No better way to keep the boosters that "ruined" Halo 3 away than by keeping it a secret, I guess.

So I just found out that my school got a 3D printer.

This is gonna be so cool! I want to print out a small Master Chief but I need to find a 3D Model, and I also don't want to get slapped by Microsoft/343/the Law so I can't. :(

I don't like this map as much as I thought I would. For a map that seems the largest of all three, all the action seems to take place near the reactor or the control room. It just devolves into a clusterfuck of people instantly running in to clean up people with low shields (instant spawning in Halo is a horrible, wretched design decision), which seems to happen far less frequently on the other two maps.

As much as I don't like the decision to eliminate Assault, not many people enjoyed or voted for it in Reach (which seems to be the only statistical data that 343 used to create Halo 4). I suppose it would have been 343'd to make it less fun than it was, ala Infinity CTF.

I have found the reactor to be avoided almost at all costs in the games I've played on it. I think I had only played Objective or Sniper modes on it so instant respawn wouldn't hve been a thing so maybe that influenced how the map plays a lot more?

Gotta' have priorities, I guess. In the meantime, we get to enjoy two-flag on a bunch of asymmetrical maps. Awesome.
Has anyone played CTF on Outcast or Perdition? Are they as bad as I think they'd be? Weird that I haven't even seen Dominion come up as a choice, and the non-use of the correct 1-plot Extraction is extremely puzzling.

I have found the reactor to be avoided almost at all costs in the games I've played on it. I think I had only played Objective or Sniper modes on it so instant respawn wouldn't hve been a thing so maybe that influenced how the map plays a lot more?
Besides Infinity Slayer, I think I've only played SWAT and Extraction once each, so my experience is largely based on IS.

Has anyone played CTF on Outcast or Perdition? Are they as bad as I think they'd be? Weird that I haven't even seen Dominion come up as a choice, and the non-use of the correct 1-plot Extraction is extremely puzzling.

I've played CTF on both once, can't tell you how bad/good their competitive potential is because we got matched up against terrible teams in each instance and was basically a walkover.

Although with these new maps I like the wealth of routes they provide to the objective.

And 343 providing 2 sided objective modes on asymmetrical maps is beyond frustrating and down right ignorant.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bad news Juices.

Sadly knowing what made Halo fun isn't a requierement :(

Man FFA Simplex is just way too small IMO also the match right now was laggy the whole time and no host change :(

It kind of is, the last line states you have to be a "rabid Halo fan" and you need to have played all the games. If you're that much of a Halo fan you know what made it fun.

I know, I know it was more a tongue in cheek response. :)

Even Daybreak CTF, which they were so proud of due to internal testing scores, has serious issues. The two bases are in no way equal. Having the option to fly out of a man cannon to the middle of the map from one base but not the other makes little sense to me.

Further, despite Certain Affinity's statements to the contrary, the Banshee is not balanced on this map. We played half a dozen games on this map the other night and our Banshee pilot ran the entire map in the thing every game. He had the other team completely locked down every game.

I think they need to realize when play testing these maps that there's a big difference between what their average employee or average play-tester can do in a Banshee, and what a skilled pilot that's been flying them for a decade can do- and there's no shortage of them out in the wild.

Rockets are not a counter for any Banshee pilot of average skill or better. If they're intent on keeping the Banshee on that map, then they need to swap out those rockets on the other side for a laser.

Havok

Has anyone played CTF on Outcast or Perdition? Are they as bad as I think they'd be?
I've played it on both. Perdition was when the playlist was 4v4, and it worked better than I expected, though certainly not ideal. With 12 players it would be a mess because of how open that map is, especially around the bases.

Outcast was 6v6, and it was really sloppy. There are some neat flag routes for both infantry and vehicles, but the Mantis and Wraith make that map a disaster. Should be a Hog/Ghost only map, but that goes for almost all the big maps. It also doesn't have very good orientation in the billion tunnels and ramps everywhere.

willow ve

"be prepared to demonstrate that you've played all of the games and thought a lot about the franchise"
If you have played every game you'd be a Halo fan. I don't think they'll hire you if your only Halo games are Reach and 4.

Yeah, probably. :p

Make applicants submit gamertag - and associated B.net and Waypoint accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom