• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duji

Halo 5 to prioritize competitive balance pls. Other popular pc games do this and have no problems with attracting casuals. Just compare the populations of games like DotA 2, LoL, and SC2 to Halo 4's pop. It saddens me that 343 thinks of this as "catering to the 1% competitive crowd". Everyone likes balance.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 to prioritize competitive balance pls. Other popular pc games do this and have no problems with attracting casuals. Just compare the populations of games like DotA 2, LoL, and SC2 to Halo 4's pop. It saddens me that 343 thinks of this as "catering to the 1% competitive crowd". Everyone likes balance.

1% of the population contains 90% of the skill.

Spread the accesability

Call Legendary Slayer Team Slayer, put it top of the list, slayer pro settings and we are in business.

That way:

Infinity Slayer = Social Slayer
Throwdown = MLG
Team Slayer = Team Slayer

Profit.

Even Daybreak CTF, which they were so proud of due to internal testing scores, has serious issues. The two bases are in no way equal. Having the option to fly out of a man cannon to the middle of the map from one base but not the other makes little sense to me.

Further, despite Certain Affinity's statements to the contrary, the Banshee is not balanced on this map. We played half a dozen games on this map the other night and our Banshee pilot ran the entire map in the thing every game. He had the other team completely locked down every game.

I think they need to realize when play testing these maps that there's a big difference between what their average employee or average play-tester can do in a Banshee, and what a skilled pilot that's been flying them for a decade can do- and there's no shortage of them out in the wild.

Rockets are not a counter for any Banshee pilot of average skill or better. If they're intent on keeping the Banshee on that map, then they need to swap out those rockets on the other side for a laser.
So far, fortunately, any Banshee pilot I've seen has wrongly flown too close to the ground and gets eliminated fairly quickly. I have to agree with the Daybreak bases, I was on Blue Team every time we had a victory.

I've played it on both. Perdition was when the playlist was 4v4, and it worked better than I expected, though certainly not ideal. With 12 players it would be a mess because of how open that map is, especially around the bases.

Outcast was 6v6, and it was really sloppy. There are some neat flag routes for both infantry and vehicles, but the Mantis and Wraith make that map a disaster. Should be a Hog/Ghost only map, but that goes for almost all the big maps. It also doesn't have very good orientation in the billion tunnels and ramps everywhere.
The Wraith on Outcast is just crazy (thank the gods the Scorpion isn't on there), and I completely agree that it should be a 'hog/Ghost only map. I've played KOTH and Oddball so far(Oddball being a really weird choice for large team objective), but now I'm certainly not looking forward to CTF.

TheOddOne

Bad news Juices.
ibiVEHiBo2XRL5.gif

Shadders

I hate the Microsoft jobs portal, you don't get any response to say your application has been received. Just eery, unsettling silence.

I sat there F5ing my inbox for like 3 weeks last time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

He's laughing because I finally got (working) glasses and a couple of days later got my first ever rifle-only Killtastrophe. Which is sitting proudly in my file share, with my only other vaguely notable (comedy) kill(s).

I hate the Microsoft jobs portal, you don't get any response to say your application has been received. Just eery, unsettling silence.

If only you knew someone you could PM when submitting a resume.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I never hear anything back (after a certain awesome someone submits my resume). You should get an automated email after submitting though. Hire DC.

(Maybe my resume needs updated)

"be prepared to demonstrate that you've played all of the games and thought a lot about the franchise"
If you have played every game you'd be a Halo fan. I don't think they'll hire you if your only Halo games are Reach and 4.

Yeah, probably. :p
I've watched all the transformers movies just to see my friends and hometown on screen. Still not a fan.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I worked at Dollar General this summer, and I have 2 semesters of college completed.

I'm coming for your job, Frank

314 Industries will take over the Halo series.

Onikaan

Had some brilliant games over the last few days. Taking a long break seems to have helped me appreciate the game a little more.

Should I have said that here?

Help.

New maps aren't all that great, though.

Stinkles, hire FUNKNOWN. He'll bring the FUN/K back to Halo.

Think of the kids growing up without a Combat Evolved
and Halo 2 under their belts. So sad..

Stinkles

I will do this for anybody with appropriate resumes - but all it will do is ensure the resume is seen. It will still get filtered out by stuff like experience etc. Remember that in any job application, it is likely that more qualified candidates are also applying so don't take it personally when you're met with silence. You could be the lead designer on something cool, and be up against the lead designers of ten cooler things, so stuff that's really entry level is HYPER competitive.

IHaveIce

Banned
Hire anybody who wants Active Camo back as an update and who wants to get rid of AAs on Spawn for Halo 5, and want to get rid of Infinity Slayer.

Double his salary.

Well it's Microsoft for Christ sake, they must get a downright staggering amount of applications to most of their job listings, you should get a confirmation email when you apply for a job though.

But, yeah what Frankie said.

Bad news Juices.

I am taking a hiatus from posting this thread. It's a Halo community thread, but it's also one of the most negative places on gaf outside of the NBA thread and it's pretty difficult to have a conversation or even see a meaningful one happen with the troll hobbyists. I will continue to pay attention to criticism and ideas, but it's more and more counterproductive to be in here for the moment. There are a few people in here who would be banned anywhere else on gaf and a few people who I have to even wonder what they're doing in here.

Anyway, peace. I love all of you.

Except that one guy.

Tunavi

Banned
I am taking a hiatus from posting this thread. It's a Halo community thread, but it's also one of the most negative places on gaf outside of the NBA thread and it's pretty difficult to have a conversation or even see a meaningful one happen with the troll hobbyists. I will continue to pay attention to criticism and ideas, but it's more and more counterproductive to be in here for the moment. There are a few people in here who would be banned anywhere else on gaf and a few people who I have to even wonder what they're doing in here.

Except that one guy.
Who was that one guy anyway?

Gui_PT

Frankie hire me.

I worked on a crash bandicoot ripoff with a group of 5 people that should've been released like 3 years ago but is still being worked on.

I have a decent K/D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Except that one guy.

jlaw-okay.gif

Stinkles

Except that one guy.

That was the last thread.

It would be awesome if you guys could phrase criticism without insulting people personally, but I genuinely have come to the conclusion that those days are literally over for all gaming communities.

I don't take things personally and never have, but I do it by proxy, which is actually more stupid. So when you levy personal insults at the team, I take that personally.

I think it's just the nature of communities in general - especially big ones.

Mind you if you're actually asking me to leave, it's your thread, you define the tone and content. Bish would totally ban me if I kept hassling you and mocking your education.

And you can PM me a resume if you're actually applying.

Fuck the DMR. Just played a match of CTF on that map thats kind of like a BTB version of Beaver Creek.

Getting pinged from the middle the whole match by DMRs is not fun whatsoever, while also getting fucked by a banshee any time you start winning a long range encounter is just bullshit. I'm well able to lose matches, I'm always on that you always learn something mentality with losing in anything. Not being a great player helps you cope with losing games over and over. But the last couple of matches have just been awful. The new maps are great, the core Halo gameplay IS there. But there's just too many layers of horse shit to scrape off at this stage

Fuck the DMR.

Fuck Halo 4.

Back to Halo Wars and AC3.

Seriously though, FUCK the DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom